Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Outline · [ Standard ] · Linear+

Aircon Discussion V3, Home Appliance

views

itekderp
post Jun 8 2015, 08:59 PM

On my way
674 posts

Now having a bit of trouble, after I installed awning in my backyard. I realized there is nowhere for technicians to carry down the outdoor unit for servicing in the future. Unless they go all the way to the backyard path. Is it possible to do a general cleaning and service without taking the unit down?
itekderp
post Dec 8 2016, 03:19 AM

On my way
674 posts

QUOTE(1tanmee @ Dec 7 2016, 07:26 PM)
yeah, maybe I need to refill gas. How much would be a reasonable price to refill?
It's the internal cooling coil. Suggest you take a look, it's the fins behind the filter. Probably clogged. A professional can dismantle and wash it for you around 50 or so.
Gas is seldom the problem unless it's leaking.
itekderp
post Dec 9 2016, 03:17 AM

On my way
674 posts

QUOTE(RE57 @ Dec 8 2016, 11:27 PM)
If gas leaking means refill also no use?
If leaks then the technician can probably replace the part. Otherwise no point to refill, it'll just leak continuous
The technician can probably tell, they have a gauge to measure the normal range. But very rarely this is a problem. Just ask for normal service wash the internal cooling coil, and request they check the pressure too since it's free to check.

This post has been edited by itekderp: Dec 9 2016, 03:19 AM
itekderp
post Dec 19 2016, 02:14 AM

On my way
674 posts

QUOTE(1tanmee @ Dec 18 2016, 06:01 AM)
My aircon is now no longer as cool as before. For the records, the aircon is 3 years already.
I periodically clean the indoor unit periodically (washing the filter, and spraying the fins with chemical.

Question is, what could have caused the problem?

- leaking gas
- clogged cooling fin
Outdoor unit needs cleaning perhaps. Or even the indoor, since don't think the chemicals are as good as a proper wash. When you ask the technician just ask them to check the gas pressure. Not sure what normal range is for house ac but you can probably find that out easily.
itekderp
post Dec 19 2016, 06:37 PM

On my way
674 posts

QUOTE(1tanmee @ Dec 19 2016, 06:32 PM)
Thanks very much for the reply.

You mentioned about the outdoor unit needing cleaning. Is it similar to the indoor unit (i.e. got the removable filter that can take out and wash)?
One other thing, is it 'okay' for gas pressure to give out after 3 years?
Outdoor unit sometimes can get clogged, it doesn't have filter only the fins. If you have the time and a good pressure washer, can try to clear it yourself. But be careful. Don't bend the fins, always spray a distance away.
Not sure about pressure, but I think house air conditioner gas can slowly lose pressure or something. That's what the air cond guy tells me anyway. Even though technically it shouldn't unless there's a leak? Not very sure
itekderp
post Dec 20 2016, 10:29 AM

On my way
674 posts

QUOTE(DecaPix @ Dec 20 2016, 09:58 AM)
outdoor unit rarely needs to be cleaned unless it's been running in very dusty area.
air cond refrigerant is a close loop.
it doesnt leak. if it does, it will lose coolness in probably 1 month(very slow leak)? not 3 years.

your indoor unit probably needs some cleaning.
have you check the blower fan?
not only the filter and the fin on the coil needs cleaning. the blower fan gets clogged up too.
i find my panasonic unit the blower fan gets clogged up way faster than the filter  blink.gif
Takes around 5-6 months here before it gets clogged up, Sarawak. Should be way faster in city I think.

Does leaks affect the same way as car ac system, as in spoiling the compressor through debris etc. We've been taught/scammed all this while by technicians who insist on "topping up gas", which sounds nonsense considering its a closed loop. But could recharging the gas be used to test for leaks as preventive measure? I know it works somehow like that for cars, the vacuum seal needed will indicate leaks.

Change to:
| Lo-Fi Version
0.0261sec    0.27    7 queries    GZIP Disabled
Time is now: 1st December 2022 - 07:45 AM