Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Outline · [ Standard ] · Linear+

[FAQ] PC auto restart/Blue Screen (BSOD), All questions go here please.

views

lighter
post Sep 28 2006, 09:07 AM

Recommended Seller
2,478 posts

Troubleshooting Windows XP install BSODs

Constant Blue screen errors while attempting to install Windows XP are generally caused by hardware or media problems. The most common hardware-related installation issue is faulty memory chips, which can cause havoc to any XP installation. Overheating or a dying or defective hard disk are other common causes. A severely scratched or otherwise faulty XP install CD may also cause stop errors.

First, check your CD and clean or replace it as necessary. Your next step should be to test your system memory for errors with a diagnostic program.

To do this obtain the Windows Memory Diagnostic, Memtest86, or Memtest86+ memory diagnostic programs on floppy or CD we mentioned earlier, and use it to boot your system and test the memory. If either of these programs shows any errors in your memory, you have likely found the source of your troubles.

Chances are you will need to purchase new memory. For more information on faulty memory and memory diagnostics, see PCstats Guide to diagnosing bad memory .

Now it's time to test the hard drive for errors. Visit the website of your hard drive's manufacturer and download their drive diagnostic utility software. Every major hard drive company makes a utility like this freely available. An example is Maxtor's PowerMax software available here . Follow the included instructions to install the software and test your drive(s) for errors.

If no errors were found in memory or with the hard disk, you need to ensure that your processor is not overheating. Make sure the fan on the heatsink is in working order and reboot the computer, pressing DEL repeatedly on startup to go into the BIOS setup screen.

Let your PC run on this screen for an hour or so, checking back to make sure it has not crashed. If a PC crashes on the BIOS screen, it generally means the processor is overheating for one reason or another.

As a final measure, you can remove all unnecessary hardware from your system before attempting to install Windows XP again. Power off the computer, remove the case and remove all hardware except:

Mouse & keyboard
Hard drive
CD-Drive
Video card
Memory
(And obviously the processor and power supply must still be connected also)

Attempt to install XP again. If it works correctly, you can troubleshoot the remaining devices from within Windows.

===================================================

Basic troubleshooting for all BSOD errors

First off, note down all relevant information when you see a BSOD flash across the screen. This includes the error number and friendly name from the 'bugcheck' section of the stop error (see above), and any file names specified in the 'driver information' section.
If the BSOD comes up on the screen for a split-second before the PC restarts and wipes all the useful information away, we need to change some settings within WinXP. In most cases, it should be possible to stop your PC from automatically restarting when it develops a major error, allowing you enough time to jot down the BSOD error message. If you are using WindowsXP, right click on my computer > Properties > Select the 'Advanced' tab > and under 'startup and recovery' click the 'settings' button. This will open a new window, and under the 'System Failure' heading, uncheck 'Automatically restart.'

Continuing on, attempt to restart the computer normally into Windows. If the BSOD occurred while booting Windows, you may be taken to a troubleshooting menu and will have to select 'attempt to start Windows normally.' If your computer starts correctly, continue using it and store the error information for later reference. If the BSOD reoccurs at random or irregular periods, see Section D below on troubleshooting intermittent stop errors.

If your system does not start correctly or the stop message happens again, reboot the system. When the POST (memory checking) screen comes up, press F8 repeatedly. This will bring you to the Windows advanced options menu.

In the Windows advanced options menu choose 'safe mode' to attempt to boot into Windows Safe mode. Safe mode loads Windows XP with a minimal set of drivers and no automatically loaded software. If faulty software or drivers are causing your BSOD problem, safe mode should load correctly. If safe mode loads correctly, refer to Section A below on 'troubleshooting software stop messages.'

If safe mode does not load correctly, and/or you get the same stop message upon attempting safe mode, it's time to try the 'restore last known good configuration' option in the advanced options menu.

Restart your computer, pressing 'F8' again to load the advanced options menu and select 'last known good configuration (your most recent settings that worked).' This uses Windows XP's built in system restore utility to restore the most recent save point, which should be the last time you installed any drivers or other software. If your system boots normally after this operation, hopefully your problem has been fixed.

If you are still receiving a Blue Screen Of Death after the above procedures, or if system restore was disabled on your system, note down any new information on the error and start thinking. Did you install any new hardware or software just before this problem occurred? The driver information section of the BSOD may help with this.

If you did install new hardware or software, and you think you know what it might be that is causing the problem, this gives you a big boost in resolving the situation.

Otherwise, proceed to the advanced troubleshooting sections below. Chances are your error is hardware or system file based and will require more effort to repair.

===================================================
For more information please click here

This post has been edited by synz: May 29 2007, 08:16 PM
lighter
post Sep 28 2006, 09:18 AM

Recommended Seller
2,478 posts

Common BSODs in Windows XP

Now that you have a good idea of how to dissect a BSOD and pull out the relevant pieces of information from all the gibberish on the screen, let's look at some of the more common BSODs in Windows XP. I'll only cover just a few of the BSOD conditions, but there are lots of possible Stop errors. For each BSOD I discuss, I'll provide a link to an article on the Microsoft Knowledge Base that covers that particular Stop error. (Since more than one article might address a Stop error, you may want to search the Knowledge Base if you discover that you need more information.)

[b]STOP: 0x0000000A
IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL

This Stop error, which can be caused by either software or hardware, indicates that a kernel-mode process or driver attempted to access a memory location it did not have permission to access or a memory location that exists at a kernel interrupt request level (IRQL) that was too high. A kernel-mode process can access other only processes that have an IRQL that's equal to or lower than its own.
Troubleshooting a Stop 0x0000000A error in Windows XP

STOP: 0x0000001E
KMODE_EXCEPTION_NOT_HANDLED

This Stop error indicates that indicates that the Windows XP kernel detected an illegal or unknown processor instruction. The problems that cause this Stop error can be either software or hardware related and result from invalid memory and access violations, which are intercepted by Windows' default error handler if error-handling routines are not present in the code itself.
Possible Resolutions to STOP 0x0A, 0x01E, and 0x50 Errors

STOP: 0x00000050
PAGE_FAULT_IN_NONPAGED_AREA

This Stop error indicates that requested data was not in memory. The system generates an exception error when using a reference to an invalid system memory address. Defective memory (including main memory, L2 RAM cache, video RAM) or incompatible software (including remote control and antivirus software) might cause this Stop error.
Possible Resolutions to STOP 0x0A, 0x01E, and 0x50 Errors

STOP: 0x0000007B
INACCESSIBLE_BOOT_DEVICE

This Stop error indicates that Windows XP has lost access to the system partition or boot volume during the startup process. Installing incorrect device drivers when installing or upgrading storage adapter hardware typically causes this Stop error. This error could also indicate a possible virus infection.
Troubleshooting Stop 0x0000007B or "0x4,0,0,0" Error

STOP: 0x0000007F
UNEXPECTED_KERNEL_MODE_TRAP

This Stop error indicates a hardware problem resulting from mismatched memory, defective memory, a malfunctioning CPU, or a fan failure that's causing overheating.
General causes of "STOP 0x0000007F" errors

STOP: 0x0000009F
DRIVER_POWER_STATE_FAILURE

This Stop error indicates that a driver is in an inconsistent or invalid power state. This Stop error typically occurs during events that involve power state transitions, such as shutting down, or moving in or out of standby or hibernate mode.
Troubleshooting a Stop 0x9F Error in Windows XP

STOP: 0x000000D1
DRIVER_IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL

This Stop error indicates that the system attempted to access pageable memory using a kernel process IRQL that was too high. The most typical cause is a bad device driver (one that uses improper addresses). It can also be caused by faulty or mismatched RAM or a damaged pagefile.
Error Message with RAM Problems or Damaged Virtual Memory Manager

STOP: 0x000000EA
THREAD_STUCK_IN_DEVICE_DRIVER

This Stop error indicates that a device driver problem is causing the system to pause indefinitely. Typically, this problem is caused by a display driver waiting for the video hardware to enter an idle state. This might indicate a hardware problem with the video adapter or a faulty video driver.
Error message: STOP 0x000000EA THREAD_STUCK_IN_DEVICE_DRIVER

STOP: 0x00000024
NTFS_FILE_SYSTEM

This Stop error indicates that a problem occurred within Ntfs.sys, the driver file that allows the system to read and write to drives formatted with the NTFS file system. (A similar Stop message, 0x00000023, exists for the file allocation table [FAT16 or FAT32)] file systems.)
Troubleshooting Stop 0x24 or NTFS_FILE_SYSTEM Error Messages

STOP: 0xC0000218
UNKNOWN_HARD_ERROR

This Stop error indicates that a necessary registry hive file could not be loaded. The file may be corrupt or missing. The registry file may have been corrupted due to hard disk corruption or some other hardware problem. A driver may have corrupted the registry data while loading into memory or the memory where the registry is loading may have a parity error.
How to Troubleshoot a Stop 0xC0000218 Error Message

STOP: 0xC0000221
STATUS_IMAGE_CHECKSUM_MISMATCH

This Stop message indicates driver, system file, or disk corruption problems (such as a damaged paging file). Faulty memory hardware can also cause this Stop message to appear.
"STOP: C0000221 unknown hard error" or "STOP: C0000221 STATUS_IMAGE_CHECKSUM_MISMATCH" error message occurs

==============================================================

Reference
More info here

Additional BSODs references
http://www.pcsupportsource.com/xp_stop_messages.htm
http://www.5starsupport.com/info/stop_error.htm
http://www.updatexp.com/stop-messages.html
http://www.computerdr.com.au/technical/stopmsgs.htm

I do not know how to troubleshoot! What should I do? icon_question.gif
Please post your minidump files with .ZIP and attach it here.
Minidump files are located in C:\Windows\Minidump
You can go Start > Run > type %systemroot%\minidump > Hit enter

This post has been edited by synz: Sep 26 2007, 09:22 PM
lighter
post Oct 2 2006, 11:19 AM

Recommended Seller
2,478 posts

Please attach your minidump files with .ZIP here. biggrin.gif

lighter
post Oct 10 2006, 09:58 PM

Recommended Seller
2,478 posts

@rissband

Obviously it was caused by Application Error. If you can attach your minidump files with .ZIP files here would be easier for us to rectify your problem.
lighter
post Oct 11 2006, 12:02 AM

Recommended Seller
2,478 posts

QUOTE(williamlee_1985 @ Oct 10 2006, 10:48 PM)
Just a question..if error does occurs and since we have unticked the automatic restart button.. then wat will happen?

the pc will display error msg but still can use or what else? rclxub.gif
BSoD screen will appear.. that's all.. if the automatic restart has checked then it will restart immediately after half or 1 second when BSoD appear.
lighter
post Oct 12 2006, 10:05 PM

Recommended Seller
2,478 posts

QUOTE(syyang85 @ Oct 12 2006, 12:07 AM)
I took my hardisk and brought it to my frens house to copy some movies.
After that, i came back installed my harddisk back to my computer.
And i get an error x9c BSOD.

Then i took out the problematic harddisk and install it into my housemates computer. Amazingly, it can be read and there was no BSOD, but only the old files i previously had in my harddisk. The new files that had been copied cannot be read.

How do i solve this?
I'm using western digital 80gig HD
Can you please state your PC & your friend's PC specification here? Include Operating system....

QUOTE(kornelius @ Oct 12 2006, 10:00 PM)
My desktop now days keep coming out blue screen and giving me lot of reason. i was wondering what is the problem... i never go plug out any hardware and this jus happen lately.... what step should i take first? how to detect the error?
I do not know how to troubleshoot! What should I do?
Please post your minidump files with .ZIP and attach it here.
Minidump files are located in C:\Windows\Minidump
You can go Start > Run > type %systemroot%\minidump > Hit Enter

lighter
post Oct 15 2006, 12:44 AM

Recommended Seller
2,478 posts

QUOTE(kornelius @ Oct 13 2006, 08:29 PM)
there are 3 diff file hope sifu here can help me out find out the prob... really need ur help... thnx

most of the time the error restart come out when i half way watching media file

Can i make a bootable disk memory test tool called MEMTEST86 using Pendrive?
I couldn't find out what caused your system get BSoD. I believe it not caused by driver or softwares.. It might be hardware problem.. First please check your RAM first..

QUOTE(nkkhong84 @ Oct 14 2006, 03:52 AM)
pls help me cry.gif
i donnu how to settle with tis problem sad.gif
the blue screen come out during i playing "dota" in a server icon_question.gif
the debugger show:

Use !analyze -v to get detailed debugging information.

BugCheck 1000008E, {c0000005, bfb05a98, b93b1acc, 0}

Probably caused by : nv4_disp.dll ( nv4_disp+131a98 )

Followup: MachineOwner
---------

Clean uninstall nVidia Graphic Card Driver

- Prepare a nVidia CD come file your GC

- Download DriverCleaner and install it
http://www.drivercleaner.net/professional.php

- Restart PC boot into SafeMode by pressing F8 before windows loading screen appear

- Go Start > Run > appwiz.cpl > Uninstall your nVidia Graphic Card Driver

- After uninstall nVidia GC Driver > Run DriverCleaner > Clean all nVidia Drivers

- Restart and boot into Normal Mode

- Insert nVidia CD and install the drivers

If you still having the same problem please come back here. Good luck!
lighter
post Oct 16 2006, 08:08 AM

Recommended Seller
2,478 posts

QUOTE(prem182 @ Oct 15 2006, 11:56 PM)
what does this error means?

"TCP/IP has reached the security limit imposed on the number of concurrent TCP connect attempts."
Windows XP Pro & 2K (not server version) are only allow 10 concurrent TCP connections. Which means it can only allow 10 PCs to connect into your PC in a time. This is nothing to do with BSoD.

This post has been edited by lighter: Oct 16 2006, 08:08 AM
lighter
post Oct 22 2006, 09:12 PM

Recommended Seller
2,478 posts

QUOTE(johnnyc2pi @ Oct 22 2006, 06:52 PM)
Hi all the sifu,

My BSOD error message is Driver_IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL.
First of all I thought it was my graphic card driver but after installed the old ver of driver the problem still occur.

Here is my minidump file. Can any1 take a look and tell me what to do?

Many thanks. Sorry for any inconvenience caused.
======================================
*** WARNING: Unable to verify timestamp for kl1.sys
*** ERROR: Module load completed but symbols could not be loaded for kl1.sys
Probably caused by : kl1.sys ( kl1+1128 )
======================================

Are you using Kaspersky AV? Try to full uninstall and reinstall it again.

http://forum.kaspersky.com/lofiversion/index.php/t1344.html
lighter
post Oct 23 2006, 07:26 PM

Recommended Seller
2,478 posts

QUOTE(leonlusm @ Oct 23 2006, 06:47 PM)
how 2 hard reset computer??i mean without format it...
There are no such thing in computer. Normally notebook has built-in recovery tools which is for you to restore your system to fresh windows.
lighter
post Nov 2 2006, 08:46 PM

Recommended Seller
2,478 posts

Hi guyz.. sorry for the late reply.. recently very busy...

QUOTE(johnnyc2pi @ Oct 26 2006, 10:06 PM)
Hi all the sifu,

Sorry to disturb u guys again, can any sifu help me to check this dump file again?
I still have the problem with BSOD. I've no idea what is the error msg.

I try to use the windbg but duno why it always stop after the "Symbol search path is: SRV*downstream_store*http://msdl.microsoft.com/download/symbols"
Then I check under the menu it said Debuggee not connected. Can any 1 teach me?

Thanks a lot.
Please make sure that you're using Service Pack 2 and your windows is up to date.

QUOTE(deric88 @ Oct 28 2006, 06:31 PM)
help me check my dmp file.....
my error goes something like KERNEL_INPAGE_STACK_ERROR
*** ERROR: Module load completed but symbols could not be loaded for mssmbios.sys

I can't rectify your problem.. Please try to your BIOS.

QUOTE(3536837 @ Oct 30 2006, 06:48 AM)
senior-senior here.....i need help here T.T

My PC cannot go to Safe Mode now....

i just start my pc and then press f8 and choose safe mode , after that...it will load xxxxx/xxxxxx/xxxxxx/xxxxx.sys then blue screens come out

A problem has been detected and windows has been shut down to prevent damage to your computer

IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL

If this the first time you've seen this stop error screen , restart your computer.If this screen have appears again , follow these steps:

Check to make sure any new hardware or software is properly installed.If this is a new installed , ask your hardware and software manufacturer for any windows updates you might need.

If problem continue , disable or remove any newly installed hardware or software.Disable BIOS memory options such as caching or shadowing.If you need to use safemode to remove or disable components , restart your computer , press f8 select Advanced Start-up options , and select safemode.

Technical Information:

*** STOP : 0x000000A (0XF8A51354,0x000000FF,0x00000001,0X80E2E41)

but i still can load to normally windows with fine w/o hang/auto restart
ah... you 3536837 you make me headache.. sweat.gif
since you can't even go into safe mode hopefully its not cause by bad capacitor...
read this
http://forum.lowyat.net/index.php?showtopic=347156

QUOTE(KiLLer^Boy @ Nov 2 2006, 07:32 PM)
lighter

can help me to check out what wrong with my computer....
i already attach the minidump....
Most of the BSoD caused by e10kx2k.sys
It was probably caused by your sound card driver.
Please refer here the URL below. If you can't solve your problem by following the instruction with the url that given, try to download the latest update of your driver and install it. Please get back here if the problem still persists. Good luck
» Click to show Spoiler - click again to hide... «

This post has been edited by lighter: Nov 2 2006, 08:47 PM
lighter
post Jan 6 2007, 11:41 AM

Recommended Seller
2,478 posts

page_fault_in_nonpaged_area high possibility is HDD problem. Try to scan your HDD or check IDE cable.. or it might be IDE Contorller problem which is motherboard problem.
lighter
post Mar 17 2007, 07:18 PM

Recommended Seller
2,478 posts

QUOTE(WaCKy-Angel @ Mar 17 2007, 10:19 AM)
Just some stop messages meaning taken from website..
Resources taken from http://www.updatexp.com/stop-messages.html
nice one!
lighter
post Jul 30 2008, 09:04 PM

Recommended Seller
2,478 posts

Hi Guyz,

Seems like it has a lot of users facing BSoD problem have not resolve yet.

For those having BSoD issue during gaming please update your DirectX and Graphic Card driver to latest version.

Microsoft Directx

Microsoft Windows XP Service Pack 3

Microsoft Windows Vista Service Pack 1

For those users having BSoD after installing latest Service Pack please make sure all your drivers are up to date as well.
lighter
post Aug 3 2008, 08:58 PM

Recommended Seller
2,478 posts

QUOTE(chingching84 @ Aug 3 2008, 12:23 PM)
hello.. i'm having problem wif my wireless.. when i on my wireless, my laptop will hav blue screen then it auto restart, then blue screen and can't go in windows til i off my wireless button. may i know wat is the problem? i already update my windows to sp3.
well.. please try to update your Wireless driver first

http://www.twinhead.com.my/downloads.asp?M...fio!%20121i

make sure your BIOS is latest version R1.09

This post has been edited by lighter: Aug 3 2008, 08:58 PM
lighter
post Aug 11 2008, 04:47 PM

Recommended Seller
2,478 posts

QUOTE(Kian2391 @ Aug 10 2008, 04:22 PM)
anyone can hlp me check?
this could be hardware faulty.. in what situation you got BSoD? try unplug all your USB device except keyboard and restart your computer.

thumbup.gif
lighter
post Aug 12 2008, 12:05 AM

Recommended Seller
2,478 posts

QUOTE(Kian2391 @ Aug 11 2008, 10:09 PM)
thx ya lighter , i noe why alraedy ..... my processor faulty....
btw , can teach me how to read the file?
You have to download Windows Debugging Tools.

Run Windbg > Press Control + D > Open your dump file you can find everything inside..

icon_rolleyes.gif
lighter
post Aug 14 2008, 09:06 PM

Recommended Seller
2,478 posts

QUOTE(jackal1950 @ Aug 13 2008, 04:35 PM)
I got this BSOD error saying

IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL

Product
Windows

Problem
Shut down unexpectedly

Date
13/8/2008 4:13 PM

Status
Not Reported

Problem signature
Problem Event Name: BlueScreen
OS Version: 6.0.6001.2.1.0.256.1
Locale ID: 17417

Files that help describe the problem (some files may no longer be available)
Mini081308-01.dmp
sysdata.xml
Version.txt

Extra information about the problem
BCCode: a
BCP1: 00000054
BCP2: 0000001B
BCP3: 00000001
BCP4: 821D6FE9
OS Version: 6_0_6001
Service Pack: 1_0
Product: 256_1
Windows Server 2008? Did you plug in any external HDD or any other external storage?

What i found in your dump file it was caused by RTSTOR.SYS. I've google around found this file is related to Storage driver.
lighter
post Aug 15 2008, 02:37 AM

Recommended Seller
2,478 posts

QUOTE(The Silent Killer @ Aug 14 2008, 11:24 PM)
may i know wats this?
[attachmentid=558900]

happens when i insert more than 1 piece of ram onto my mobo..
dude.. can you please provide your full computer specs?

what ram did you insert?
lighter
post Aug 16 2008, 02:06 AM

Recommended Seller
2,478 posts

QUOTE(The Silent Killer @ Aug 15 2008, 05:39 PM)
P4 2.8Ghz HT
Gigabyte GIPE1000-G
80GB maxtor HDD
radeon 9250 128mb

no matter wat ram i try...if more than 1 this prob will occur
previously my ex-company about 50 units of Acer desktops having the same problem as well.. after few months troubleshooting i found out it was caused by motherboard integrated graphic card driver issue.. if i install a fresh windows without GC driver i can run my windows smoothly without any problem. In order to run the system properly with GC driver installed i have to unplug 1 of the RAM stick.. haha.. I've tried everything i can.. updating bios, install latest driver, reset CMOS blablabla...

so for your case.. i suggest you to update your BIOS first..

2 Pages  1 2 >Top

Change to:
| Lo-Fi Version
0.1001sec    0.67    7 queries    GZIP Disabled
Time is now: 29th March 2024 - 03:37 PM