Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

3 Pages  1 2 3 >Bottom

Outline · [ Standard ] · Linear+

Audio Technica ATH-IM50, Actually pretty good.

views

TSVagueConcerns
post Jan 29 2014, 03:46 AM, updated 10y ago

Enthusiast
884 posts

Hi there. Long time poster here but haven't been online for quite some time and forgot the password for the other account. Also I've been away from listening to audiophile gear, and the last IEM I had was a Monoprice which is the king of budget IEMs or so people say. If you haven't heard it, try one now, for under RM100 hardly anything can beat it.

The ATH IM50 is my first Audio Technica product, and I chose it to mark my re-entry into portable audiophile.
Anyway as usual when it comes to reviews, some basic specs:

Driver: 2x 8.8mm dynamic "Dual Symphonic" drivers
Impedance: 10 Ohm
Cable length: 1.2m, removable
Colour: Black or White (mine's white)
Accessories: Carry pouch, S/M/L silicone eartips
Build: Plastic

As you can see it has the bare essentials, nothing fancy, but the IEM is well packaged. The build quality is fantastic. Though plastic and feels a bit like a toy, there is nothing loose anywhere. No silly gaps, no creaking, nothing loose not even the connector for the removable cable. It's sole purpose is to allow removal only when the time comes for necessary replacement. I tried to take it of but it was too tight so I just left it in fear of breaking it. I couldn't grip the IEM and jack tight enough, but if I could grab the cable end a bit, probably, but only when the cable starts to deteriorate and it's time to replace them anyway would I do it. Others have tried from what I've read and they all report tight cable, so it's not a fault. The bit connecting to the IEM is made up of memory cable, that stiff bit that you can mould to the shape of your ear. At first I find it awkward but as soon as I got it over and around my ear, putting on and taking of after that is a breeze. Again, this IEM is SOLID.

As the lowest and cheapest in Audio Technica's new line of IEMs, I held some reservations into how it would sound. With that I was caught off guard.

Some interesting fact about the "Dual Symphonic" arrangement, it's two dynamics (presumably one is tuned to favour a certain freq. range) working synchronously (no crossover) and one is placed in front of the other. Logic says it's the wrong thing to do, but somehow they pulled it off. First thing I notice is that it sounds quite full, yet spacious. It doesn't dig deep at the bass, but it made sure to present whatever it has as best as it can. There is some rumble if you give it the right music, not the fastest but good nonetheless, almost behaves like it would from a monitor...unless if you crank up the volume, then things can start to sound overwhelming. Mids is nicely bodied. I never felt that voices were too thin or a bit too forward, and high mids are not fatiguing.

Treble is where things aren't so interesting. It's not very...realistic? My favourite IEM for treble is believe it or not, the Monoprice 9927, the one I had a short time ago before I sold it to my friend for RM10. tongue.gif Cymbals sound oh so real! And not to mention guitar strums and cellos. Treble with the IM50 is in no way crude, at most I would say pleasant, at the very least I would say it's listenable. It is not piercing so that's good. This IEM is still very new but I am hard pressed to find significant changes over the 20+ hours I've listened to it. I can live with the treble because the rest of the spectrum more than compensates.

I like how the IM50 is able to dissect the music to some degree yet still be fun to listen to. I think it's the whole point of the IEM, it's freaking fun to listen to. The rumble of the bass intro in Muse's Hysteria, full-bodied cellos from Apocalyptica's Fisheye, and lush vocals of Norah Jones.

It's not the best IEM, but for its price I can't think of another. I will soon be comparing this to a Shure SE215-SPE. I don't know what to expect, I don't know how close. I don't know if I'll sell one in favour of the other or to keep both. Hopefully next week I will have my answers.
phillip88
post Jan 29 2014, 12:49 PM

Sound of Silence
1,062 posts

Great analysis!

IINM, there are lots of examples of dual dynamic drivers placed parallel to each other without the use of crossovers. IIRC Radius DDM is one example. Then we have the KEF M200 right? JVC FXT90
drivers are side by side.

Anyway, IIRC both Radius and KEF don't have sharp treble. The bass is plenty but doesn't dig deeper. It's very full bodied. And the staging is quite huge.

Anyway, is there a higher model for AT dual D driver right? Looking forward~
TSVagueConcerns
post Jan 29 2014, 01:34 PM

Enthusiast
884 posts

There is, the IM70. Said to have slightly boosted bass and overall more presence and power. There is also some metal in the bodywork of the IEM for the IM70.

I had the Radius DDM1 a few years ago, and yeah the treble was lacking, to the point where electric guitars sound dull. But everything else is wonderful, and the mids on that is definitely better, and the transition from mids to bass is excellent. This (IM50) isn't so recessed, but it struggles with getting it across. It's letting you know it's there, but not really doing everything it can at extracting details out in that sound region.

The dual symphonic drivers are quite different than ones in FXT90 or Radius. The Radius has the larger driver and smaller driver facing different direction and share the same magnet. The FXT90 has two tiny independent drivers but one is on top of the other. The IM50 has two independent drivers (from the looks of the diagram anyway) and they are placed in-line; one in front of the other facing the same direction. Probably the rear driver has a channel to deflect and direct sound around the front driver, I don't know.

But it somehow works. tongue.gif
phillip88
post Jan 29 2014, 02:24 PM

Sound of Silence
1,062 posts

QUOTE(VagueConcerns @ Jan 29 2014, 01:34 PM)
There is, the IM70. Said to have slightly boosted bass and overall more presence and power. There is also some metal in the bodywork of the IEM for the IM70.

I had the Radius DDM1 a few years ago, and yeah the treble was lacking, to the point where electric guitars sound dull. But everything else is wonderful, and the mids on that is definitely better, and the transition from mids to bass is excellent. This (IM50) isn't so recessed, but it struggles with getting it across. It's letting you know it's there, but not really doing everything it can at extracting details out in that sound region.

The dual symphonic drivers are quite different than ones in FXT90 or Radius. The Radius has the larger driver and smaller driver facing different direction and share the same magnet. The FXT90 has two tiny independent drivers but one is on top of the other. The IM50 has two independent drivers (from the looks of the diagram anyway) and they are placed in-line; one in front of the other facing the same direction. Probably the rear driver has a channel to deflect and direct sound around the front driver, I don't know.

But it somehow works.  tongue.gif
DDM has the same magnet? Didn't realize that. FXT90 has two drivers of slightly different materials but positioned next to each other. KEF M200 too, is unique.

You heard about the Ocharaku Flat-4 series? That's one heck of a job too!

» Click to show Spoiler - click again to hide... «

Even the aurisonic asg-2 was meant to be dual dynamic LOL.

Anyway, tried amping it? Any difference?
TSVagueConcerns
post Jan 29 2014, 03:37 PM

Enthusiast
884 posts

Yeah heard about the Ocharaku, but never really had laid my eyes upon it in real life. It has a novel configuration, one driver producing the actual sound, while the other serves to cancel out any resonance/interferences/noises IINM.

I've sold pretty much all my music players, amps and IEMs and I'm trying to get back into this hobby, so no I haven't tried amping it. With its low impedance I doubt that I need to add an amp. It's doing fine at around 20% volume of anything I plug it into.

BTW, the Aurosonics is such a beauty! drool.gif

This post has been edited by VagueConcerns: Jan 29 2014, 03:37 PM
penmarker
post Jan 29 2014, 05:55 PM

Look at all my stars!!
2,002 posts

How much for the IM50? In Amazon it costs somewhere around USD69, so that's about RM220 or so right?
dokidoki
post Jan 29 2014, 06:09 PM

I am not War machine~
4,628 posts

just wondering how good this IM50 compare to audeo pfe232....

maybe i need to find time to go audition it...
TSVagueConcerns
post Jan 29 2014, 06:11 PM

Enthusiast
884 posts

I bought it from E1-AKG. Including shipping cost it could be just a bi more but still be much less than RM300. More if you'd buy from a seller who doesn't have ready stock. Since he supplies from Singapore, I guess it's possible to get at lower price.
TSVagueConcerns
post Jan 29 2014, 06:19 PM

Enthusiast
884 posts

QUOTE(dokidoki @ Jan 29 2014, 06:09 PM)
just wondering how good this IM50 compare to audeo pfe232....

maybe i need to find time to go audition it...
I have no idea. However they are both in different price regions and have different sound signatures, I don't think a comparison is fair nor does it warrant any. They are both made for different goals. The 232 is likely far more detailed and faster.

This post has been edited by VagueConcerns: Jan 29 2014, 06:19 PM
wkkm007
post Feb 2 2014, 02:52 PM

Look at all my stars!!
3,116 posts

https://forum.lowyat.net/index.php?act=ST&f=99&t=2546055
Dual or More Dynamic IEM/earbud/headphone Thread, a.k.a. DDM (Headphones)

Dual

user posted image
By ClieOS
top: Phiaton PS320
up left to right:
Brookstone's Clear, Redgiant A03 Ossicle, TDK IE800, Fischer Audio Tandem
down left to right:
Radius HP-TWF11R, JVC HA-FXT90, SonoCore COA-805 Cindy, Panasonic RP-HV600

like majalah sekolah laugh.gif

Dual
~IEM~
JVC HA-FXT90
Radius HP-TWF11R (DDM1)
Radius HP-TWF21 (DDM2)
Fischer Audio Tandem
Redgiant A03 Ossicle
Able Planet SI500
SonoCore COA-803
SonoCore COA-805 Cindy
Moshi Audio Clarus
Ocharaku Flat4-Kuro “玄”
Ocharaku Flat4-Maple “KAED" “楓”
Ocharaku Flat4-Sui “粋”
Brookstone's Clear
Denon AH-C300- Urban Raver
Brainwavz R1 by MP4 nation
nocs NS600 Crush
TDK IE800
KEF M200
Brainwavz R3 by MP4 nation
Maxell MXH-DD600
Audio Technica ATH-IM50
Audio Technica ATH-IM70
~Earbud~
Fanny Wang FW-BUDS-WHI Wang Buds
Koss KDE-250
Panasonic RP-HV600
~Headphone~
AKG K270
Phiaton PS320
Final Audio Design Muramasa VIII

Triple
~IEM~
JVC HA-FXZ100
~CIEM~
Unique Melody 3DD

For DUAL BA IEM thumbup.gif
http://forum.lowyat.net/index.php?act=ST&f=99&t=2371868&

I only tested TDK IE800, would like to test the other too in someday near future cool.gif

This post has been edited by wkkm007: Feb 3 2014, 12:13 PM
TSVagueConcerns
post Feb 3 2014, 02:01 PM

Enthusiast
884 posts

I would love to own the JVC HA-FXZ1000, just because of the novelty value. tongue.gif

I'm sure it'll sound more than decent, but there's something about "triple dynamic" that can wow the general public when I mention it. laugh.gif
wkkm007
post Feb 3 2014, 04:04 PM

Look at all my stars!!
3,116 posts

there are more Dual Dynamic Driver vs hybrid driver IEM

~IEM~
JVC HA-FXT90
JVC HA-FXT90L2
Radius HP-TWF11R (DDM1)
Radius HP-TWF21 (DDM2)
Fischer Audio Tandem
Redgiant A03 Ossicle
Able Planet SI500
SonoCore COA-803
SonoCore COA-805 Cindy
Moshi Audio Clarus
Ocharaku Flat4-Kuro “玄”
Ocharaku Flat4-Sui “粋”
Brookstone's Clear
nocs NS600 Crush
TDK IE800
KEF M200
Maxell MXH-DD600
Audio Technica ATH-IM50
Audio Technica ATH-IM70

VS

IEM
AKG K3003
Atomic Floyd Superdarts
Audiofly AF78
Scosche IEM856
UE Super.fi 5 EB
Vsonic GR08
Aurisonics ASG-2
Ultrasone IQ
T-PEOS H-100
T-PEOS H-200
Sony XBA H1
Sony XBA H2
Sony XBA H3
Maxell MXH-DBA700
Maxell MXH-DBA900
Astrotec AX60
Dunu DN-1000
TSVagueConcerns
post Feb 4 2014, 02:24 PM

Enthusiast
884 posts

Will update soon, a comparison; Audio Technica ATH-IM50 vs Shure SE215-SPE.
paul5263
post Jul 25 2014, 07:32 PM

Getting Started
257 posts

QUOTE(VagueConcerns @ Feb 4 2014, 02:24 PM)
Will update soon, a comparison; Audio Technica ATH-IM50 vs Shure SE215-SPE.
Is there such a review? I'm currently have se215 spe as well...

Currently thinking of IM50 as well, not sure worth the buck of not. Pending on ur review yo
E1 - AKG
post Jul 25 2014, 08:20 PM

Your personal audio store!
6,439 posts

QUOTE(paul5263 @ Jul 25 2014, 07:32 PM)

Currently thinking of IM50 as well, not sure worth the buck of not. Pending on ur review yo
For those finding the highs a little lacking and bass a little bloated on both the IM50 & IM70, here is your solution tongue.gif

user posted image

user posted image
E1 - AKG
post Jul 25 2014, 08:27 PM

6,439 posts

QUOTE(wkkm007 @ Feb 3 2014, 04:04 PM)
there are more Dual Dynamic Driver vs hybrid driver IEM

~IEM~
JVC HA-FXT90
JVC HA-FXT90L2
Radius HP-TWF11R (DDM1)
Radius HP-TWF21 (DDM2)
Fischer Audio Tandem
Redgiant A03 Ossicle
Able Planet SI500
SonoCore COA-803
SonoCore COA-805 Cindy
Moshi Audio Clarus
Ocharaku Flat4-Kuro “玄”
Ocharaku Flat4-Sui “粋”
Brookstone's Clear
nocs NS600 Crush
TDK IE800
KEF M200
Maxell MXH-DD600
Audio Technica ATH-IM50
Audio Technica ATH-IM70

VS

IEM
AKG K3003
Atomic Floyd Superdarts
Audiofly AF78
Scosche IEM856
UE Super.fi 5 EB
Vsonic GR08
Aurisonics ASG-2
Ultrasone IQ
T-PEOS H-100
T-PEOS H-200
Sony XBA H1
Sony XBA H2
Sony XBA H3
Maxell MXH-DBA700
Maxell MXH-DBA900
Astrotec AX60
Dunu DN-1000
Do add on:
Audio-Technica ATH-CKR9
Audio-Technica ATH-CKR10

user posted image

This post has been edited by E1 - AKG: Jul 25 2014, 08:30 PM
TSVagueConcerns
post Jul 25 2014, 10:56 PM

Enthusiast
884 posts

QUOTE(paul5263 @ Jul 25 2014, 07:32 PM)

I posted it a few months ago. Here it is:
https://forum.lowyat.net/index.php?showtopic=3122886&hl=

This post has been edited by VagueConcerns: Jul 25 2014, 10:57 PM
ghs06565
post Jul 26 2014, 11:05 AM

Casual
361 posts

what is the sound different between im70 vs im0 series?

looking for one earphone to listen about female artist song
E1 - AKG
post Jul 26 2014, 02:06 PM

6,439 posts

QUOTE(ghs06565 @ Jul 26 2014, 11:05 AM)
what is the sound different between im70 vs im0 series?

looking for one earphone to listen about female artist song
IM50 & IM70, dual dynamic driven ... IM01 single BA, IM02 dual BA and so on tongue.gif
ghs06565
post Jul 26 2014, 03:29 PM

Casual
361 posts

QUOTE(E1 - AKG @ Jul 26 2014, 02:06 PM)
IM50 & IM70, dual dynamic driven ... IM01 single BA, IM02 dual BA and so on  tongue.gif
actually any different between dynamic driver and ba?

why ba will more expensive than dynamic driver.....as my knowledge, ba is newest stuff in earphone right?

3 Pages  1 2 3 >Top

Change to:
| Lo-Fi Version
0.0202sec    0.25    5 queries    GZIP Disabled
Time is now: 29th March 2024 - 12:17 AM