Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

5 Pages < 1 2 3 4 > » Bottom

Outline · [ Standard ] · Linear+

How many mths' pay you willing to spend on watch?

views

SUSRandy Marsh
post Jan 15 2014, 02:15 PM

Casual
470 posts

QUOTE(avantasia @ Jan 15 2014, 01:01 PM)
Breitling...Tag Heuer.....and the cheapest Casio GShock during sport.
You have good taste. thumbup.gif

I'm wearing the same Everlast watch for the past 9 years.
avantasia
post Jan 15 2014, 04:32 PM

a while in dreamland!!!
2,827 posts

Doesn't matter bro..as long as u like and love it very much!

The other forummer here u can see got more branded watch than myself!
kinz_11
post Jan 18 2014, 03:26 AM

Getting Started
192 posts

To some people these is to mark an achievements. Most of my friends buy themselves a TAG when they start working. Why? It's just a significant reminder to themselves they've worked hard enough. For me I guess it's all about self satisfaction. I know for sure if I were to buy a Seiko 5 copy of the Rolex Submariner I will not be satisfied. I will always think ahhhh one day when I earn enough that will be my goal. I am 25 and I am wearing a simple RM35 Casio.

And nope I think being able to pass down a Rolex to my grandson is a very meaningful thing to do. I'd wish my grandfather or even my father to give me a Patek or Rolex with family heritage or so. Most of these watches design are classic and everlasting. Most of these designs never really change for many years because they simply work. The Submariners, Datejust or even the Calatrava remains their distinguish look after many years. In fact I am here on this forum to hunt for vintage 1950s to 1970s Rolex to hopefully replace my Casio.

Just my two cents. I can be wrong but this is just what I think. So don't flame me.
avantasia
post Jan 18 2014, 08:28 AM

a while in dreamland!!!
2,827 posts

1. Self satisfaction
2. Mark an achievement
3. Family tradition....

i got the point from above
BigMan123
post Jan 18 2014, 08:54 AM

Look at all my stars!!
2,426 posts

QUOTE(twins9 @ Jan 14 2014, 08:35 PM)
For a  really nice watch, what would be a good guide?

1 month salary,
3-6 months
or more?
Cannot measure in terms of salary. A good watch lasts for decades. So get one which you like. Difference in costs spread over years is not going to be much
iVW
post Jan 18 2014, 11:08 AM

Busy Finding Money
886 posts

10% of my annual salary.
iVW
post Jan 18 2014, 11:12 AM

Busy Finding Money
886 posts

QUOTE(kinz_11 @ Jan 18 2014, 03:26 AM)
To some people these is to mark an achievements. Most of my friends buy themselves a TAG when they start working. Why? It's just a significant reminder to themselves they've worked hard enough. For me I guess it's all about self satisfaction. I know for sure if I were to buy a Seiko 5 copy of the Rolex Submariner I will not be satisfied. I will always think ahhhh one day when I earn enough that will be my goal. I am 25 and I am wearing a simple RM35 Casio.

And nope I think being able to pass down a Rolex to my grandson is a very meaningful thing to do. I'd wish my grandfather or even my father to give me a Patek or Rolex with family heritage or so. Most of these watches design are classic and everlasting. Most of these designs never really change for many years because they simply work. The Submariners, Datejust or even the Calatrava remains their distinguish look after many years. In fact I am here on this forum to hunt for vintage  1950s to 1970s Rolex to hopefully replace my Casio.

Just my two cents. I can be wrong but this is just what I think. So don't flame me.
Agreed, especially automatic watches. They are classic if you send for regular servicing. It can too be inherited, and why not?
digitalz
post Jan 18 2014, 11:42 AM

The only thing we have to fear is fear itself.
2,030 posts

For me, it all boils down to self-satisfaction. Working hard, you might want to give yourself a bonus if you can afford it.

Also, getting a good watch which can be kept for years to come, why not? Some of them might depreciate but then, if its meant for self-satisfaction and keeping, who cares?
TStwins9
post Jan 18 2014, 01:48 PM

Regular
1,371 posts

with the frequent robberies around, you would be grateful if you could wear your watch without fear....dont even think about passing it down unless you keep it in safe with a self winding box and not wear at all.

TStwins9
post Jan 18 2014, 01:50 PM

Regular
1,371 posts

Guys dont use much jewelry, so the watch is the main acc'y item besides the pen....and cufflinks.

BigMan123
post Jan 18 2014, 09:48 PM

Look at all my stars!!
2,426 posts

QUOTE(twins9 @ Jan 18 2014, 01:48 PM)
with the frequent robberies around, you would be grateful if you could wear  your watch without fear....dont even think about passing it down unless you keep it in safe with a self winding box and not wear at all.
Agree. This is also my greatest concern. You have to be more careful where u go. No more mamak places....and shopping complexes always.
avantasia
post Jan 19 2014, 10:44 AM

a while in dreamland!!!
2,827 posts

QUOTE(twins9 @ Jan 18 2014, 01:50 PM)
Guys dont use much jewelry, so the watch is the main acc'y item besides the pen....and cufflinks.
I add up...ring/bracelet
silverwave
post Mar 20 2014, 03:39 PM

Look at all my stars!!
4,050 posts

For those who are worried about safety, you must know when to wear the watch. I use my Tag only for work or when i'm meeting up with friends at safe places. Other than that, i just use my old G shock.
skeleton202
post Mar 20 2014, 03:54 PM

Perdana Malaysia ke-9
1,132 posts

currently owned alba.. looking forward either tag heuer or tissot on next purchase when got enough saving..

it's subjective to ask why wearing expensive watches.. some will say for satisfaction and some for business purpose to convince the customer

it's like why paying rm1200 for bodykit when it give you zero benefit except draining your wallet?
danielcmugen
post Mar 21 2014, 11:39 PM

Look at all my stars!!
5,493 posts

QUOTE(skeleton202 @ Mar 20 2014, 03:54 PM)
currently owned alba.. looking forward either tag heuer or tissot on next purchase when got enough saving..

it's subjective to ask why wearing expensive watches.. some will say for satisfaction and some for business purpose to convince the customer

it's like why paying rm1200 for bodykit when it give you zero benefit except draining your wallet?
Agree with u. I hope people will stop asking why mod car why buy expensive watch and so on. Cuz it can't be explained.
Naka7a
post Mar 22 2014, 10:35 AM

St. Neo
5,417 posts

don't really understand people who are not willing to spend on good watches, these same people would rather spend 2k on a smartphone which is most likely to be outdated in 1-2 years time. and another 2k for another replacement. a good watch, if taken care well enough can last for decades!
sacwoc
post Apr 8 2014, 03:38 PM

Casual
306 posts

QUOTE(Naka7a @ Mar 22 2014, 11:35 AM)
don't really understand people who are not willing to spend on good watches, these same people would rather spend 2k on a smartphone which is most likely to be outdated in 1-2 years time. and another 2k for another replacement. a good watch, if taken care well enough can last for decades!
100% agree. I love to collect watches especially mid ranges, like Omega, Breitling, IWC, Baume and Mercier, etc. IN Japan you can actually get these watches at really discounted prices at wholesaler instead of dealers. You can also sell of your watches easily as well. Watches is one of the small luxury that I can really dable in. Hope one day can moved into the higher end watches like Hublot and Panerai.
Clueless07
post Apr 8 2014, 04:51 PM

Regular
1,225 posts

errr..... Hublot/panerai consider high end?
thought about same rage as Breitling/IWC

sorry i noob.

High end is A Lange & Sohne, Patek, RM....
anything else? for education purpose....
sacwoc
post Apr 9 2014, 10:04 AM

Casual
306 posts

QUOTE(Clueless07 @ Apr 8 2014, 05:51 PM)
errr..... Hublot/panerai consider high end?
thought about same rage as Breitling/IWC

sorry i noob.

High end is A Lange & Sohne, Patek, RM....
anything else? for education purpose....
Hublot and Panerai is "higher end" then Breitling/IWC, though each of this watches have their low end as well.
As fo A Lange &Sohne, PATEK, RM, etc.....that is the next level. Slowly working my way up he ladder. smile.gif
Jason
post Apr 9 2014, 11:16 AM

Look at all my stars!!
5,846 posts

personal gratification.

we all find joys in different things in life. some people feel joy and happiness driving their mercsilly benz despite owing bank massive amount of money to pay for it. some people who have 7 figure savings in their bank account is happily commuting around in their myvi.

a Patek is a mechanical masterpiece and an art piece of a master artisan, but only to the people who appreciates it.

how much to spend is the wrong question to ask.. more like, how much satisfaction do you get from it, and how much work are you willing to put in for it.

5 Pages < 1 2 3 4 > » Top

Change to:
| Lo-Fi Version
0.0271sec    0.40    6 queries    GZIP Disabled
Time is now: 29th March 2024 - 02:06 AM