Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

3 Pages  1 2 3 >Bottom

Outline · [ Standard ] · Linear+

> How to choose a good Cooker Hoods & Gas Hobs ?, Kitchen appliances hood / hob / oven

views

idoblu
post Dec 29 2013, 02:21 PM

stars for sale
All Stars
11,308 posts

QUOTE(wdarke @ Dec 29 2013, 01:47 PM)
Adding my 2 cents...

Mesh and baffle filters are both good, for different people.
Mesh is generally more efficient, but requires cleaning often and some might find difficult to clean. Hoods with mesh filter is usually much thinner, could be an important feature some people look for.
Baffle is less efficient, but is easier to clean and also needs less cleaning. However, I personally dislike having the oil cup in the centre. Look for hoods with the cup situated close to the wall instead ( Electrolux and Fotile has this if I'm not mistaken )

So if you are the lazy type, use baffle tongue.gif
It's true for recirculating hoods, only mesh filter works well because it's simply more effective at retaining oil.
you offered the most clear and concise explanation rclxms.gif

to say "mesh filters restrict much more air and that's why you need to buy baffle type filter" is just plain incorrect.

this unbiased video is much better in showing what you should be considering in buying a cooker hood - but it doesn't have one criteria that I always look out for - aesthetics ....hahaha laugh.gif
almost all hoods work so well these days, it doesnt really matter which you choose so might as well get one that also look good and least noisy

This post has been edited by idoblu: Dec 29 2013, 02:35 PM
idoblu
post May 19 2014, 04:01 PM

stars for sale
All Stars
11,308 posts

I just checked my new hood. Came with a two prong Euro plug....no Earth also.

My 6000W (total) Induction hob dont even come with any instructions on using what kind of plugs or wiring requirement. Best to connect straight to wire or go thru a plug better? Plug and socket at least can turn off the mains
idoblu
post May 25 2014, 07:44 AM

stars for sale
All Stars
11,308 posts

QUOTE(kbandito @ May 24 2014, 02:19 PM)
I am wondering if Malaysia sells this kind of hob that fits perfectly in an island?

user posted image
user posted image

The idea is that I will still have an heavy cooking place, and this island is for korean bbq purpose, so the smoke is kinda minimal but still need a hob in that condo.

Do we have any hob like this in Malaysia?
Not sure you meant hob or hood but for island and that occasional cooking
you can put a domino size hob like this -
http://www.teka.com/en/products/view/21976-hobs-ir_321

For hoods, look for island hoods like this -
http://www.teka.com/en/products/view/21835-hoods-cc_40

Both are expensive sweat.gif

This post has been edited by idoblu: May 25 2014, 07:49 AM
idoblu
post May 25 2014, 05:41 PM

stars for sale
All Stars
11,308 posts

QUOTE(tZZ @ May 25 2014, 03:38 PM)
Anyone knows where to buy charcoal filter pads ? Need to replace one for my hood.
Call your hood's parts and service centre
idoblu
post May 25 2014, 06:06 PM

stars for sale
All Stars
11,308 posts

user posted imageuser posted image

where do you guys buy the ducting and wall cap?
need 150mm/6in diameter hose

And do you ever have any cockroaches climbing inside? even with the wire netting, I think its not fine enough to prevent them from entering sweat.gif

This post has been edited by idoblu: May 25 2014, 06:11 PM
idoblu
post May 30 2014, 08:45 AM

stars for sale
All Stars
11,308 posts

QUOTE(Kelifu @ May 29 2014, 10:46 PM)
any kitchen appliances shop u will get the hose and wall cap... which brand of hood u buy doesnt come with all that rclxub.gif , just curious... geh boh a bit
Teka sweat.gif
But I bought it at the warehouse sale. Not sure if they come with it but I doubt it.
I know my old Fotile hood came with a set of plastic hose and metal wall cap. I still have them.
idoblu
post Jun 1 2014, 10:50 AM

stars for sale
All Stars
11,308 posts

QUOTE(Xccess @ Jun 1 2014, 10:42 AM)
You found your wall cap yet? I don't have cockroaches but mosquitoes, can see a few stuck on the mesh every time I remove for cleaning. My main concern is birds nesting in the hole opening but so far no such incident yet. Having cap is a good idea.
The house I'm in now has a birds nest in the wall cap haha.... biggrin.gif
The netting very small holes only?

This post has been edited by idoblu: Jun 1 2014, 10:51 AM
idoblu
post Jun 1 2014, 12:34 PM

stars for sale
All Stars
11,308 posts

QUOTE(Xccess @ Jun 1 2014, 11:50 AM)
For future unit I don't wanna install any hood, just put exhaust fan in wet kitchen. Easier to maintain as compared to hood where oil and grease will build up in motor and fan blades which is impossible to clean.
I was thinking the same thing!
Panasonic has one with an oil filter. I might put that to use in conjunction with the hood
Double exhaust

This post has been edited by idoblu: Jun 1 2014, 12:36 PM
idoblu
post Jun 3 2014, 05:50 AM

stars for sale
All Stars
11,308 posts

QUOTE(Fazab @ Jun 2 2014, 11:38 PM)
Can share which model?  An exhaust fan is always a good addition to a hood.
The one that says Kitchen Fan
http://www.panasonic.com/my/consumer/home-...lating-fan.html
idoblu
post Jun 8 2014, 04:31 PM

stars for sale
All Stars
11,308 posts

QUOTE(itsybitsy @ Jun 3 2014, 11:05 AM)
Hi, I need some advice about cooker hood. I found that most of the hoods are chimney types. I'm planning to have top kitchen cabinets and want to hide the chimney inside the cabinet. Can I remove the chimney part?

I'm planning to use a 60cm wide induction cooker. Should I use a 60cm or 90cm wide hood? I've seen Fotile EH10BQ and found that the lights are on the side. I think they won't be of much use since my hob is only 60cm.

Any recommendations for a suitable hood?
If you want to totally not see any chimney, then get those integrated hood, you cant see any chimney at all. -

user posted image

I suppose you can also hide the entire chimney inside a cabinet but the outlook will depend on if you are using ducting or recirculation mode, the height of your ceiling, the height of your cabinet.

I am planning to install a 60cm induction hob with a 90cm chimney type hood. Whether I will use ducting or recirculating mode, I am not sure yet. Ducting is always preferred

This post has been edited by idoblu: Jun 8 2014, 04:47 PM
idoblu
post Jun 11 2014, 12:14 AM

stars for sale
All Stars
11,308 posts

QUOTE(forsakengel @ Jun 11 2014, 12:04 AM)
waliu.. wei kee.. you taking things so personally..

like you said, everyone has got personal preferences.. so apahal u shoot people's wok or pot size. lol.

macam debate..

in the end, i doubt anyone would buy anything just base on what they researched on the internet.

rationally, I would personally go to showrooms and check out the items before i purchase them.. don't you?
Well, if you sell/promote things in discussion forum like this then everything is open for debate
If you don't want opinions from others then go sell/promote at Garage section.
idoblu
post Jun 11 2014, 11:03 AM

stars for sale
All Stars
11,308 posts

QUOTE(Fazab @ Jun 11 2014, 09:44 AM)

No need to debate. To each his preference.

Exactly, to each his own preference and its up to the reader to decide. But one cannot shut people up by saying "no need to debate". This is just pure wrong. This is an open forum to discuss, share and to give experiences. It can be a wrong opinion for you but maybe right for others.

I am neither for nor against either one. I want to hear all arguments and decide for myself

idoblu
post Jun 11 2014, 11:42 AM

stars for sale
All Stars
11,308 posts

QUOTE(Fazab @ Jun 11 2014, 11:34 AM)
Just a light hearted tie-breaker to re-focus people.

Sometimes people get too enthusiastic and spiral into a not-so-productive argument. Just nudge-nudge a bit lah.

No need to debate doesn't imply shut up. That is my opinion only. Free and open to choose if you want to follow or not.

OK. I  will stop myself here too. biggrin.gif
icon_rolleyes.gif tongue.gif
idoblu
post Jun 19 2014, 09:06 AM

stars for sale
All Stars
11,308 posts

I hate how there is a glass that opens out on the Fotile V hood. Somebody might bang their head on it
For that kind of price, I will get the more elegant Teka DVL 90

This post has been edited by idoblu: Jun 19 2014, 09:08 AM
idoblu
post Jun 20 2014, 10:53 PM

stars for sale
All Stars
11,308 posts

sorry but I am still not convince about this Fotile V hood design.

1. if you are tall, the glass baffle might obstruct your view

2. if you are short, you might hit your head on the glass baffle

3. the hood is too low, all the oil, kicap, sauce, etc may end up on the glass surface and you will have to clean it after every cooking session For normal Chimney hood, it is set high, no sauce or bits of food can travel that high meaning less mess to clean up

4. the opening of the baffle is too small, I think this is making it noisy as air rushes through it.

5. the opening of the filter holes are too big so all the oil droplets will land inside the motor assembly and housing.

I am curious to learn how the 3D curtain thing works. Is there a bunch of electrodes along the rim to generate anion as claimed?

idoblu
post Jun 21 2014, 05:57 PM

stars for sale
All Stars
11,308 posts

QUOTE(storm04 @ Jun 21 2014, 05:29 PM)
how about domino hobs,

was thinking 1 induction + 1 gas
there are hobs that is 60cm wide

idoblu
post Jun 21 2014, 10:09 PM

stars for sale
All Stars
11,308 posts

QUOTE(storm04 @ Jun 21 2014, 09:51 PM)
can you provide suggestions?
i've check a few, xde...
nowadays gas burners very difficult to find 60cm size
so only options are radiant or induction types
or you could go for those domino hobs like you mentioned earlier but they are expensive

do you have any preference? gas, induction, or radiant?
and budget?

This post has been edited by idoblu: Jun 21 2014, 10:15 PM
idoblu
post Jun 24 2014, 10:07 AM

stars for sale
All Stars
11,308 posts

QUOTE(storm04 @ Jun 24 2014, 12:18 AM)
nice. what brand is this?
you cant find 600mm gas hobs nowadays
now heng those so-called Asian Hobs.....all about 700-800mm
if you can fit only 600mm hobs, have to go for Induction or Radiant. Any brand also got.

or get a domino size 300mm
idoblu
post Jun 24 2014, 10:29 AM

stars for sale
All Stars
11,308 posts

QUOTE(gingerman2408 @ Jun 24 2014, 09:53 AM)
Hi guys..need some advice. My cooker hood is installed about 77-78cm from my counter top (using gas hob).

I'm using Rubine MCH-LAZIO hood with 1200 m3/h suction power. The user guide recommends 65-70cm above the counter top.

Did some googling and most people recommend the hood to be higher when using gas hob (minimum 75cm).

What do you guys think? If above 75cm will it affect the efficiency of the hood?

My kitchen is open concept so I need the suction to be good so that the smell won't go to the living room.
You must also take into consideration the type of hob. If it is gas type, you need to mount it higher, if induction, you can mount it lower. So read your hob's instruction about how high to mount the hood.

for example, my hob's instruction says "to install 65cm from lowest part of hood"
and my hood's instruction says "install hood not lower than 50cm if using electric hob, and 65cm if using gas hob"

so for my case, if I am using induction, the hood can be as low as 50cm
if gas hob then, 65cm, no lower than that.

installing a bit higher doesnt posed any problems other than maybe a drop in efficiency

follow the manufacturer's instruction is best.

This post has been edited by idoblu: Jun 24 2014, 10:39 AM
idoblu
post Jun 24 2014, 11:46 AM

stars for sale
All Stars
11,308 posts

QUOTE(gingerman2408 @ Jun 24 2014, 11:05 AM)
The instruction doesn't specifically mention gas or electric hob though (but from the illustration it looks like electric hob  tongue.gif )

Drop in efficiency is what I'm worried about since like I said, it's an open kitchen.

I wonder why the difference between gas and electric hob is 15cm though, since the gas hob is not even 15cm in height  hmm.gif
mine does says the difference if choose gas or electric
the answer is simple - gas is an open flame, electric is not

3 Pages  1 2 3 >Top

Change to:
| Lo-Fi Version
0.1216sec    0.43    8 queries    GZIP Disabled
Time is now: 14th August 2022 - 11:11 AM