Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Bump Topic Topic Closed RSS Feed

Outline · [ Standard ] · Linear+

> LYN DashCam Discussion V1 | DashCam Talk Malaysia, Ask/discuss anything related to dashcam!

views

maxovista
post Sep 21 2013, 10:42 PM

Getting Started
263 posts

hi, I am into these gadgets as well.......

Since you already set the budget around RM300, I guess you can only get a good camera recorder with reasonable quality on optical, but not with GPS ability. For a unit with GPS....the budget need to be up! maybe twice as much...somewhere in Rm600 range!

user posted image
Mio Mivue 388

the image above shows MIO Mivue388......probably close to Rm600-700!** This unit has Full HD and GPS ability

But MIO also offers a lesser model ie Mio Mivue 338 and 358!

Basically, The Mio Mivue 338 has 720p resolution(around Rm300) and the Mio Mivue 358 Full HD!(Rm400)

Where to get it? Ebay!

I currently using the Mivue338 and although it is just a 720p in resolution. I compared to the WayWay V270 HD model found in local market(Rm229). The Mivue338 actually has better optical (wider angle) and better night time images!
The WayWay V270 HD although having full HD or 1080p resolution, the lens a bit distorted and night time recording is less detail and darker!

user posted image
Wayway V270

Other than image quality, we need also need to take note on file sizes.

at 720p the Mivu338e files averaging at 70MB (for 120seconds video), but WayWay V270 at similar resolution, the file is trice as big! Around 200MB ....

A small memory card such as the 8GB card is useless on wayway....due to its memory hungry nature!

In short, similar size SDCard can store less recorded videos on Wayway compared to the Mio Mivue devices!

Lastly, you need to look also on the the "buttons". Are they carefully layout? Are the buttons Easily to access and press in driving situation?

Plastic quality on MIO devices are great as well, suction cup and accessories(charger) are as good as Garmin product. The Wayway accessories on the other hand, are working fine but the quality is not as good as Mio!

Thats my personal review .... icon_rolleyes.gif

And below is the basic Mio Mivue338 look like:
user posted image

** since the Mio are sold at Ebay.....I couldnt give you a definite or reliable pricing! The prices keep on changing on day to day basis, please check them out regularly .....it may be lesser that what I said now!!!! thumbup.gif

This post has been edited by maxovista: Sep 22 2013, 12:36 AM
maxovista
post Sep 22 2013, 08:02 PM

Getting Started
263 posts

QUOTE(winkiedilwy @ Sep 22 2013, 04:15 PM)
thumbup.gif  thumbup.gif  thumbup.gif

Mivue 338 sounds great. I've watched the videos on YT, but the night shot isn't good. Very dark. Since you're using it can you post night shots here? From this video it looks so dark:

Plus, sometimes I'll take it off and use it as action camera and stuff.
No, I didnt keep samples of my night time driving videos! Wipe them off already....sorry doh.gif

Anyway, the YT sample that you post has similar quality or close enough on what I am having now.....wait until you see the China made devices night time recording! I tell you... very very dark! The video images are darker than the actual situation.

As for Mivue, I guess the device managed to capture as close as what you can see during night time driving!

(note: it was a good video sample, as it was dark and raining.....yet you can still recognize the white car passing at the junction)

maxovista
post Sep 22 2013, 09:41 PM

Getting Started
263 posts

QUOTE(MR_alien @ Sep 22 2013, 09:38 PM)
just use ip4 is an option
in youtube...i did follow a channel where he record everything that happens when its behind a wheel
but if not wrong, hes using ip4s
he starts record everytime hes in the car
what happen if the memory full......can the recording loop over by deleting the oldest file???
maxovista
post Sep 24 2013, 09:55 AM

Getting Started
263 posts

A sample of Mivue 338 at its best....

In Australia sold as NAVMAN.....the rest as MIO

Product origin - Taiwan

check it out

NAVMAN Mivue

-
-
user posted image
-
-
-
user posted image

This post has been edited by maxovista: Sep 24 2013, 10:10 AM
maxovista
post Feb 15 2014, 12:29 AM

Getting Started
263 posts

i went to a PC show few months back...and there are 2-3 booths selling DashCam....
There was one booth showing very crisp video images and claiming that their Dashcam is the best in term of image quality.
TRUE, i have no doubt the video shown on the LCD big screen tv was crisp and clear...even at night time you can see details like license plate and so on. But I got real uneasy feelings....asking myself why all the video clips shown were all captured somewhere overseas....?? And not locals..

How hard is it to go out for a drive and take the local scenes?

So, I just took the Dashcam name and went back home....do some Youtube search!

As expected, the same Dashcam, when submitted by real user(on the internet)....didnot produce the same picture quality similar to what I saw at the fair....

So, friends! Just be careful.....there's a lot of lie in this Dashcam business! Never trust the video submitted by the seller or the vendor.

Other than the video quality, another disturbing fact is the file size. I witness a Dashcam that can compressed a file for 70mb for a 2 minutes clip....and another Dashcam doing the same amount of work, but with a whooping huge file of 300MB ...
It is like 400% less efficient....in storing your videos.

This post has been edited by maxovista: Feb 15 2014, 12:33 AM

Topic ClosedOptions

Switch to:
| Lo-Fi Version
0.2246sec    0.90    7 queries    GZIP Disabled
Time is now: 21st August 2019 - 02:59 AM