Outline · [ Standard ] · Linear+

> History of Malaysian Automotive industry

views

TSruffstuff
post Sep 14 2013, 07:20 AM, updated 11y ago

Look at all my stars!!
3,345 posts

user posted image

Contrary to popular opinion, Malaysia already had a very active automobile manufacturing industry long before Proton came along. In fact, amongst the 10 countries within the ASEAN trade-bloc, Malaysia was the first to have an automobile industry and had a nearly 30-years head start over Thailand, which only started assembling vehicles in 1961.

As far back as 1930, Ford saw strong growth potential in the British colony of Malaya and began small scale vehicle assembly operations in Singapore, which was then part of British colony of Malaya.

Buoyed by a growing demand for cars, Ford began construction of the first full-fledged vehicle assembly plant in South East Asia in Bukit Timah, Singapore. The plant was completed in 1941. However, World War 2 broke out soon after and the plant was placed under the control of the Japanese military, who used the plant to build Nissan military trucks.

After the Japanese military surrendered in 1945, it would be another two years before the Ford Malaya plant resumed operations.

user posted image
In the frugal post-war years, our young nation was growing rapidly, thanks to a boom in the tin-mining industry, which accelerated the growth of several major cities including Ipoh and Kuala Lumpur. The populace of this young nation were eager to work hard and make their lives better. There was a growing demand for cars but most of the models on sale were still too expensive for the masses.

In 1957, a very enterprising local, the late Tan Yuet Foh, heard news that the President of Nissan was paying a visit to the newly established Japanese embassy. With little education and without the luxury of powerful connections to put him in touch with the President, he waited outside the embassy gates for the President.

His tenacity was rewarded when the President granted Tan the franchise rights to Nissan vehicles, the first Japanese brand vehicle to be imported into the country. Tan's deal with Nissan would soon set in motion a tide of cheap, reliable Japanese cars that eventually pushed out many European brands within just two decades. Read more about Nissan's history in Malaysia here.

By the '60s, the government began putting greater emphasis on industrialisation, which was seen as a more dependable economic sector for employment and economic growth.

Under the recommendation of Colombo Plan experts, a Commonwealth supported initiative to assist the development of South East Asian nations, the Malaysian government, in May 1964, announced a policy to encourage the local assembly of vehicles and manufacturing of automotive components.
To further develop the local automotive industry, and to encourage vehicles to be assembled locally, the government adopted an import substitution policy, where importations of Completely Built Up (CBU) vehicles were discouraged by imposing high import duties.

Licenses were given out to car companies to set-up automotive assembly plants. Many of these pioneer vehicle assembly plants are still in operation today.

The first vehicle assembly plant to be set-up under this plan was the Volvo owned Swedish Motor Assemblies (SMA) in 1967. By November 1968, assembly began for the Volvo 144, the first locally assembled car in Malaysia.

The Shah Alam plant is still in operation until today and with the secession of Singapore in 1965 and closure of the Ford plant in Bukit Timah in 1980, SMA is now the oldest surviving vehicle assembly plant in the country.
SMA currently produces models like the Volvo XC90, Volvo XC60, Volvo S80, Volvo S60 and Volvo V40 for the local market as well as exporting to Thailand.

Other plants like Assembly Services Sdn. Bhd. (currently owned by Toyota) and Associated Motor Industries (inactive, formerly owned by Ford but now belongs to the Tan Chong Group) were also constructed soon after, also within the same area in Shah Alam.
However, the government soon found out that the current policy wasn't doing enough to meet the objective of promoting a strong local automobile manufacturing sector.

Because of our market's small volume, car companies and parts manufacturers weren't investing enough to produce value added components locally. Most of the locally produced parts were still limited to low-value parts like tyres, lights and batteries.
The proposed answer to this was the National Car Policy, mooted by the then Deputy Prime Minister and Minister of Trade and Industry, Tun Dr. Mahatir in 1979.

In 1981, during a visit by the late Yohei Mimura, the then President of Mitsubishi Corporation to Malaysia, Tun Dr. Mahatir expressed the idea of a building a Malaysian car, with a Malaysian brand, with Mitsubishi as its technical partner.

With a Mitsubishi coming on-board by providing its Lancer Fiore as a donor car, the national car project was gaining traction. Proton was incorporated on May 7th 1983, with the late Tan Sri Jamil Mohd Jan as its chairman. HICOM held a 70 per cent stake in the company, while Mitsubishi Motors Corporation held the remaining 30 per cent.

By 1984, a prototype model of the Proton Saga was already undergoing road trials and the model was launched on July 9th 1985, by Tun Dr. Mahatir Mohamad, now the Prime Minister.

Contrary to popular opinion, the government did not to raise prices of non-national brand cars to support the national car project. The reason why the RM18,000 Proton Saga was priced about 20 per cent lower than an equivalent Nissan Sunny 130Y and a Toyota Corolla was because as a national car, the Saga was exempted from paying import duties on the Completely Knocked-Down (CKD) kits, which the locally assembled Sunny and Corolla had to bear.
The rapid appreciation on the Japanese Yen and German Deutsche Mark in the late '80s, followed by the drop in the value of our Ringgit in the late '90s, was also another factor that pushed prices of non-national brands upwards.

This set the precedence for highly-priced non-national cars, a reality that continues until today. To understand the mechanics behind car prices, read our two-part post Explaining The Mystery Behind High Car Prices in Malaysia.

In the early days of Proton, the management team was headed by three Japanese gentlemen from Mitsubishi Motors Corporation. The MD, Kenji Iwabuchi was assisted by Head of Business Division, Katsuharu Asao and the Head of Corporate Planning, Kyo Fujioka.
Ten years after Proton was established, the government would repeat the same formula by inviting Daihatsu on-board to establish Perusahaan Otomobil Kedua Sdn. Bhd. (Perodua).

The company is a joint venture between Daihatsu Motor Co. Ltd. (20 per cent), UMW Corporation Sdn. Bhd. (38 per cent), MBM Resources Bhd. (20 per cent) and several other smaller Japanese and Malaysian companies.

Using an early generation Daihatsu Mira as a donor car, Perodua launched its first model, the Kancil on August 29th1994, two days before the National Day celebrations.

Perodua has since come a long way to become Malaysia's most popular car brand, surpassing even Proton. The company's formula for success is simple - to achieve the highest possible cost and manufacturing efficiency by focusing only on three core models, and to continuously improve them to appeal to the widest possible group of car buyers.

Today, Malaysia is the third largest car market in the ASEAN region.

On behalf of everyone at LiveLifeDrive and iCar Asia, Happy Malaysia Day to all! Watch our LLD Malaysia Day Special video as we trace the path taken by the late Tunku Abdul Rahman in declaring our independence.

http://www.livelifedrive.com/malaysia/news...motive-industry
SUSpear1000
post Sep 14 2013, 07:23 AM

On my way
501 posts

History? Buy and copy mitsubishi then Buy and copy mitsubishi then Buy and copy mitsubishi then Buy and copy mitsubishi..

Then malaysia boleh !!! rclxm9.gif
TSruffstuff
post Sep 14 2013, 07:23 AM

Look at all my stars!!
3,345 posts

QUOTE(pear1000 @ Sep 14 2013, 07:23 AM)
History? Buy and copy mitsubishi then Buy and copy mitsubishi then Buy and copy mitsubishi then Buy and copy mitsubishi..

Then malaysia boleh !!! rclxm9.gif
tak baca terlalu panjang? I understand.
CKKwan
post Sep 14 2013, 07:29 AM

Enthusiast
886 posts

The title of this article should read "The history of blood and tears of car buyers in Malaysia began since 1983".
TSruffstuff
post Sep 14 2013, 07:31 AM

Look at all my stars!!
3,345 posts

QUOTE(CKKwan @ Sep 14 2013, 07:29 AM)
The title of this article should read "The history of blood and tears of car buyers in Malaysia began since 1983".
Why 1983? Tak baca ke? Before Proton and after Proton non-proton car prices is the same as far as the tax structure goes.
CKKwan
post Sep 14 2013, 07:40 AM

Enthusiast
886 posts

QUOTE(ruffstuff @ Sep 14 2013, 07:31 AM)
Why 1983? Tak baca ke? Before Proton and after Proton non-proton car prices is the same as far as the tax structure goes.
Greatest joke of the day.

Nobody can deny that the tax structure is changed because of proton.
TSruffstuff
post Sep 14 2013, 07:44 AM

Look at all my stars!!
3,345 posts

QUOTE(CKKwan @ Sep 14 2013, 07:40 AM)
Greatest joke of the day.

Nobody can deny that the tax structure is changed because of proton.
Give me the source pls. whistling.gif
izutaisa
post Sep 14 2013, 07:44 AM

21 posts

QUOTE(ruffstuff @ Sep 14 2013, 07:23 AM)
people with low count of brain celss is liddat one

This post has been edited by izutaisa: Sep 14 2013, 07:45 AM
SUSpear1000
post Sep 14 2013, 07:56 AM

On my way
501 posts

QUOTE(ruffstuff @ Sep 14 2013, 07:23 AM)
If short abit then i will read..

The article so long..same like proton like to copy paste..
matmoto5125
post Sep 14 2013, 08:02 AM

#kitajagakita
1,293 posts

Great article sharing, TS.

Btw, expect more trolls/retards in this thread due to TL;DR syndrome.
CKKwan
post Sep 14 2013, 08:22 AM

Enthusiast
886 posts

QUOTE(ruffstuff @ Sep 14 2013, 07:44 AM)
Give me the source pls.  whistling.gif
"So Dr Mahathir protected his baby with import duties of 40-300%. These kept Proton alive, but also uncompetitive"

http://www.economist.com/node/2653701/print?story_id=2653701

Can't believe there are still people ignoring / deny the fact. rclxub.gif
SoZa
post Sep 14 2013, 08:26 AM

Getting Started
134 posts

QUOTE(pear1000 @ Sep 14 2013, 07:56 AM)
If short abit then i will read..

The article so long..same like proton like to copy paste..
preve, suprima, exora saga rebadge ke?
SUSKinitos
post Sep 14 2013, 08:43 AM

On my way
572 posts

Someone told me TS dun even own a car. betioi keh? what car TS driving?

IluvProton
post Sep 14 2013, 08:44 AM

Getting Started
143 posts

in b4 toyoi tell you entire story
BBboom
post Sep 14 2013, 08:49 AM

28 posts

older generation should known better, those words just try to beatify the failure of malaysian make car, those car really make and design by malaysian. Just one MTF so called dream project and the whole generation of malaysian had suffer or sacrifice with it !!!
spamfish
post Sep 14 2013, 08:55 AM

Getting Started
184 posts

any old farts here remember u have to pay under table money just to buy a wira?? cannot choose color somemore...and the lansi attitude or potong salesman??
abcde90
post Sep 14 2013, 08:59 AM

Getting Started
183 posts

Anybody here can actually share a legit link on the tax structure n the income collected from these taxes and duties..

legit aka official not some article from newspapaer
TSruffstuff
post Sep 14 2013, 09:03 AM

Look at all my stars!!
3,345 posts

QUOTE(CKKwan @ Sep 14 2013, 08:22 AM)
"So Dr Mahathir protected his baby with import duties of 40-300%. These kept Proton alive, but also uncompetitive"

http://www.economist.com/node/2653701/print?story_id=2653701

Can't believe there are still people ignoring / deny the fact. rclxub.gif
30%-400% import tax is not the fact. The article barely touch or give much information on NAP, breakdown the tax or any type of protectionism for local cars. It is loosely said ALL import cars were tax 30%-400%. Which is not entirely true.

I still accepted if you quoted LLD articles on car prices in malaysia. The author give his opinion with industry insight, whereby the reason car prices in malaysia is high not because of tax. It is because local car set the base price already high. I would still accept that.

But too many people still believe that 300%-400% is a 'fact'. Which is not true at all. I pity these people.

Spend your time reading this. It is not all about tax. I might agree Proton/Perodua is ONE of the reason car prices is high, but it is more than that.

http://www.livelifedrive.com/malaysia/news...laysia---part-1

SUSJames Bum
post Sep 14 2013, 09:03 AM

Getting Started
77 posts

Why no mention about Asia Motors that used to assemble Peugeot abd Mazda cars in PJ??? My dad used to work there
TSruffstuff
post Sep 14 2013, 09:05 AM

Look at all my stars!!
3,345 posts

QUOTE(abcde90 @ Sep 14 2013, 08:59 AM)
Anybody here can actually share a legit link on the tax structure n the income collected from these taxes and duties..

legit aka official not some article from newspapaer
http://econsmalaysia.blogspot.com/2013/06/...me-down-if.html

The author collected data from treasury, compare the collection of excise tax vs total industry sales revenues. Surpassingly, the tax collection from excise is not that much.
TSruffstuff
post Sep 14 2013, 09:06 AM

Look at all my stars!!
3,345 posts

QUOTE(Kinitos @ Sep 14 2013, 08:43 AM)
Someone told me TS dun even own a car. betioi keh? what car TS driving?
True story. brows.gif
SUSJames Bum
post Sep 14 2013, 09:07 AM

Getting Started
77 posts

QUOTE(ruffstuff @ Sep 14 2013, 09:05 AM)
http://econsmalaysia.blogspot.com/2013/06/...me-down-if.html

The author collected data from treasury, compare the collection of excise tax vs total industry sales revenues. Surpassingly, the tax collection from excise is not that much.
Tipu la... you go toyota honda or Nissan website check the price between peninsular and langkawi... check also the price for cbu cars there vs here
TSruffstuff
post Sep 14 2013, 09:11 AM

Look at all my stars!!
3,345 posts

QUOTE(James Bum @ Sep 14 2013, 09:07 AM)
Tipu la... you go toyota honda or Nissan website check the price between peninsular and langkawi... check also the price for cbu cars there vs here
Your point is?

I'd say CBU/CKD cars in Langkawi should be cheaper. YOU should see the CIF price for all the CBU cars. It is way cheaper. Toyota is selling at higher margin in langkawi.
SUSpear1000
post Sep 14 2013, 09:48 AM

On my way
501 posts

QUOTE(SoZa @ Sep 14 2013, 08:26 AM)
preve, suprima, exora saga rebadge ke?
doh.gif

Understand what i mean first before reply..unless you wanna troll thats another story..
SUSJyunkai
post Sep 14 2013, 10:41 AM

Getting Started
176 posts

all I know is that cars in Malaysia are too goddamn expensive
pawnx
post Sep 14 2013, 10:59 AM

8 posts

i baca dalam article tu about import duty, tapi tak mention pun pasal excise tax, tak lengkap tu...

sorok information ni....
ar188
post Sep 14 2013, 11:15 AM

Look at all my stars!!
9,188 posts

QUOTE(bereev @ Sep 14 2013, 11:03 AM)
This thered will be fully loaded by toyoi poster later when he wake up  biggrin.gif
hahaha laugh.gif
ar188
post Sep 14 2013, 11:18 AM

Look at all my stars!!
9,188 posts

Data from the ASEAN Automotive Federation (AAF) showed the Philippine car industry assembled 35,082 units in the January to June period from 36,632 units assembled in the same period last year.

The country’s vehicle production places the local car industry at the bottom of the list of Southeast Asian countries with assembly operations.

The same data showed Thailand manufactured a total of 1.341 million units, while Indonesia produced 586,479 units. Malaysia assembled 293,511 units followed by Vietnam with 41,091 units during the six-month period.

In terms of sales, the Philippines was just in the middle of the pack having sold 86,684 units in the first semester, 19 percent higher than the sales of 72,874 units in the previous year.

Philippine motor vehicle sales for the January to June period are lower than Thailand’s 740,795 units, Indonesia’s 601,952 units and Malaysia’s 313,488 units.

kecian MY trail behind indon and thai volume output.. (data for first 6mths)
CKKwan
post Sep 14 2013, 03:03 PM

Enthusiast
886 posts

QUOTE(ruffstuff @ Sep 14 2013, 09:03 AM)
30%-400% import tax is not the fact.  The article barely touch or give much information on NAP, breakdown the tax or any type of protectionism for local cars. It is loosely said ALL import cars were tax 30%-400%.  Which is not entirely true.

I still accepted if you quoted LLD articles on car prices in malaysia. The author give his opinion with industry insight, whereby the reason car prices in malaysia is high not because of tax.  It is because local car set the base price already high.  I would still accept that.

But too many people still believe that 300%-400% is a 'fact'. Which is not true at all. I pity these people.

Spend your time reading this. It is not all about tax. I might agree Proton/Perodua is ONE of the reason car prices is high, but it is more than that.

http://www.livelifedrive.com/malaysia/news...laysia---part-1
I really can't brain what you are trying to say. At the end, people suffer because of Proton.... Period.
Boy96
post Sep 14 2013, 03:08 PM

That's a tripod.
3,755 posts

Hapus proton, the road will be filled with ugly dugong like in Indo, yucks
SUSalaskanbunny
post Sep 14 2013, 03:18 PM

Foodie
4,283 posts

kasi protong mampoi! stupid coy to feed tongkats...
TSruffstuff
post Sep 14 2013, 03:25 PM

Look at all my stars!!
3,345 posts

QUOTE(CKKwan @ Sep 14 2013, 03:03 PM)
I really can't brain what you are trying to say. At the end, people suffer because of Proton.... Period.
People also suffer if there is no Proton. So get your fact right first. rolleyes.gif
SUSJames Bum
post Sep 14 2013, 03:29 PM

Getting Started
77 posts

QUOTE(ruffstuff @ Sep 14 2013, 09:11 AM)
Your point is?

I'd say CBU/CKD cars in Langkawi should be cheaper. YOU should see the CIF price for all the CBU cars. It is way cheaper. Toyota is selling at higher margin in langkawi.
Because they are selling cars... not milo tins moulded to look like a car
nivota
post Sep 14 2013, 03:31 PM

Getting Started
181 posts

QUOTE(CKKwan @ Sep 14 2013, 07:29 AM)
The title of this article should read "The history of copy cat of Malaysia local cars began since 1983".
edited
zeroonetwo
post Sep 14 2013, 03:32 PM

25 posts

user posted image
SUSmemekfalui
post Sep 14 2013, 04:08 PM

Getting Started
245 posts

QUOTE(ruffstuff @ Sep 14 2013, 03:25 PM)
People also suffer if there is no Proton.  So get your fact right first.  rolleyes.gif
You mean people as in krony people????
CKKwan
post Sep 14 2013, 06:01 PM

Enthusiast
886 posts

QUOTE(ruffstuff @ Sep 14 2013, 03:25 PM)
People also suffer if there is no Proton.  So get your fact right first.  rolleyes.gif
The fact was prior to Proton, you can get a Nissan for 18K.
TSruffstuff
post Sep 14 2013, 08:46 PM

Look at all my stars!!
3,345 posts

QUOTE(CKKwan @ Sep 14 2013, 06:01 PM)
The fact was prior to Proton, you can get a Nissan for 18K.
Give me the proof. Price before and after Proton.
CKKwan
post Sep 14 2013, 08:48 PM

Enthusiast
886 posts

QUOTE(ruffstuff @ Sep 14 2013, 08:46 PM)
Give me the proof. Price before and after Proton.
Then why not you show us the price of Nissan 130Y before and after proton. Say in 1983 and in 1990?

You kept on asking for prove, but disregard whatever prove that had been given to you. Is that the quality of a Proton / BN supporter rclxub.gif
TSruffstuff
post Sep 14 2013, 08:53 PM

Look at all my stars!!
3,345 posts

QUOTE(CKKwan @ Sep 14 2013, 08:48 PM)
Then why not you show us the price of Nissan 130Y before and after proton. Say in 1983 and in 1990?

You kept on asking for prove, but disregard whatever prove that had been given to you. Is that the quality of a Proton / BN supporter rclxub.gif
Read the article lah brader. I already bolded the part of car prices after proton. And now you should give me the proof price before and after proton since you claim it is cheaper before and expensive after.

Why you must associate Proton = BN? BN people know shit about Proton. They using Proton, not helping Proton at all. PR people knows more about how tax structure works.

And lot of PR supporters also working for Proton. Even the EX CEO also support PR. whistling.gif
netmatrix2
post Sep 14 2013, 08:54 PM

Casual
481 posts

Should be Tan Chong kena cheong already.
stix
post Sep 14 2013, 09:01 PM

Getting Started
276 posts

user posted image
SoZa
post Sep 14 2013, 09:18 PM

Getting Started
134 posts

QUOTE(bereev @ Sep 14 2013, 11:03 AM)
This thered will be fully loaded by toyoi poster later when he wake up  biggrin.gif
Nope, toyoi wont online at weekend because he need to use his office internet to spam at /k
CKKwan
post Sep 14 2013, 09:34 PM

Enthusiast
886 posts

QUOTE(ruffstuff @ Sep 14 2013, 08:53 PM)
Read the article lah brader.  I already bolded the part of car prices after proton. And now you should give me the proof price before and after proton since you claim it is cheaper before and expensive after.

Why you must associate Proton = BN?  BN people know shit about Proton. They using Proton, not helping Proton at all. PR people knows more about how tax structure works.

And lot of PR supporters also working for Proton.  Even the EX CEO also support PR.  whistling.gif
http://www.eastasiaforum.org/2012/03/13/ma...omobile-sector/

The reality is that Malaysia’s automobile sector is protected from foreign competition by elaborately constructed barriers of tariffs, investment-approval permits, differential excise taxes, subsidised credit, procurement arrangements and tax allowances. Much of this is designed to protect Proton (and its domestic component suppliers), the brainchild of former Prime Minister Mahathir Mohamad, and the spoiled child of his and subsequent administrations. Despite receiving substantial political, policy and financial support, Proton’s share of the growing Malaysian car market has been declining. The company now utilises only 45 per cent of its capacity and is steadily losing ground to its domestic and international competitors.

Ok if you think Proton is not been protected ,and can stands on it feet, that is up to you. That is not going to change the fact.
TSruffstuff
post Sep 14 2013, 09:40 PM

Look at all my stars!!
3,345 posts

QUOTE(CKKwan @ Sep 14 2013, 09:34 PM)
http://www.eastasiaforum.org/2012/03/13/ma...omobile-sector/

The reality is that Malaysia’s automobile sector is protected from foreign competition by elaborately constructed barriers of tariffs, investment-approval permits, differential excise taxes, subsidised credit, procurement arrangements and tax allowances. Much of this is designed to protect Proton (and its domestic component suppliers), the brainchild of former Prime Minister Mahathir Mohamad, and the spoiled child of his and subsequent administrations. Despite receiving substantial political, policy and financial support, Proton’s share of the growing Malaysian car market has been declining. The company now utilises only 45 per cent of its capacity and is steadily losing ground to its domestic and international competitors.

Ok if you think Proton is not been protected ,and can stands on it feet, that is up to you. That is not going to change the fact.
Why proton is protected if ckds manufacturer receive the same treatment of excise duty rate? Proton is just a camouflage to the entire ecosystem. If government really want to help/proctect proton, give more RnD fund instead.

AP system benefits to the AP holder, not proton. AP holder work closely with franchise AP.
CKKwan
post Sep 14 2013, 09:50 PM

Enthusiast
886 posts

QUOTE(ruffstuff @ Sep 14 2013, 09:40 PM)
Why proton is protected if ckds manufacturer receive the same treatment of excise duty rate? Proton is just a camouflage to the entire ecosystem. If government really want to help/proctect proton, give more RnD fund instead.

AP system benefits to the AP holder, not proton. AP holder work closely with franchise AP.
Why proton is NOT protected when AP is very limited, and it is sold at a huge price to car buyer?
TOROBO
post Sep 14 2013, 10:00 PM

Casual
379 posts

we got a headstart yet thailand division for japanese carmaker has built some of the best cars in SEA.
TSruffstuff
post Sep 14 2013, 10:26 PM

Look at all my stars!!
3,345 posts

QUOTE(CKKwan @ Sep 14 2013, 09:50 PM)
Why proton is NOT protected when AP is very limited, and it is sold at a huge price to car buyer?
Who is the franchise AP holder? brows.gif

AP is not limited, is just a paper. There is not cost to it, but only few can have AP. These AP holders have no in interest in Proton at all. What they want is to sell the AP paper 30k each. rolleyes.gif
CKKwan
post Sep 15 2013, 07:22 AM

Enthusiast
886 posts

QUOTE(ruffstuff @ Sep 14 2013, 10:26 PM)
Who is the franchise AP holder? brows.gif

AP is not limited, is just a paper. There is not cost to it, but only few can have AP. These AP holders have no in interest in Proton at all. What they want is to sell the AP paper 30k each.  rolleyes.gif
You are trying to say "No Proton is not the one who created these laws, and it is not the direct beneficiary of these laws".

I will agreed with you if buy / sell Proton car also need AP, then we could say Proton hand is clean in this. But in fact it is NOT. The AP is created to *Protect* Proton.

All other taxes are also created to *Protect* Proton since 1987.

Tell me if there is no AP needed and no Import duties especially for non AFTA cars. Do you think Proton can still compete? So Proton is the *Direct Beneficiary* of these laws.

And we as a citizen paid through our nose.
TSruffstuff
post Sep 15 2013, 07:36 AM

Look at all my stars!!
3,345 posts

QUOTE(CKKwan @ Sep 15 2013, 07:22 AM)
You are trying to say "No Proton is not the one who created these laws, and it is not the direct beneficiary of these laws".

I will agreed with you if buy / sell Proton car also need AP, then we could say Proton hand is clean in this. But in fact it is NOT. The AP is created to *Protect* Proton.

All other taxes are also created to *Protect* Proton since 1987.

Tell me if there is no AP needed and no Import duties especially for non AFTA cars. Do you think Proton can still compete? So Proton is the *Direct Beneficiary* of these laws.

And we as a citizen paid through our nose.
Which countries do not have import tax for vehicles? Even countries who do not have their own cars manufacturer do have import tax.

FYI, Some japan CBU already have 0% import tax. Even before the establishment of Proton, import tax already existed. Import tax is not that much. The excise tax that we need to worry about. Hybrid cars have no tax. But why there is price different here in peninsular and langkawi? Why hybrid cars in malaysia still expensive compare to outside? Who set the price?

AP is not created to Protect proton. If there is no Proton, AP will still be here. The NAP is one of the mechanism to protect local automotive industry. When i say local automotive industry, it is the vendors. It doesnt mean Proton. Because this vendor supplied parts to all car manufacturers including Proton.

AP is to maximize profit. The burden passed to consumers. Because they know, the one to be blame is not the dealer. That is why, no foreign company response when PR said they want to reduce car prices. But Proton CEO response with good faith to reduce excise tax. whistling.gif

CKKwan
post Sep 15 2013, 11:16 PM

Enthusiast
886 posts

QUOTE(ruffstuff @ Sep 15 2013, 07:36 AM)
Which countries do not have import tax for vehicles? Even countries who do not have their own cars manufacturer do have import tax.

FYI, Some japan CBU already have 0% import tax. Even before the establishment of Proton, import tax already existed. Import tax is not that much. The excise tax that we need to worry about. Hybrid cars have no tax. But why there is price different here in peninsular and langkawi? Why hybrid cars in malaysia still expensive compare to outside? Who set the price?

AP is not created to Protect proton. If there is no Proton, AP will still be here. The NAP is one of the mechanism to protect local automotive industry. When i say local automotive industry, it is the vendors.  It doesnt mean Proton. Because this vendor supplied parts to all car manufacturers including Proton.

AP is to maximize profit. The burden passed to consumers. Because they know, the one to be blame is not the dealer. That is why, no foreign company response when PR said they want to reduce car prices. But Proton CEO response with good faith to reduce excise tax.  whistling.gif
You are still trying to rationalize that Proton is NOT the main beneficiary by saying AP will still exist even if Proton doesn't exist.

But the fact is Proton is exist today, and it is STILL the main beneficiary of AP.

And I agree with you, the burden passed to consumers.

SUSAKace
post Sep 15 2013, 11:23 PM

Getting Started
76 posts

QUOTE(zeroonetwo @ Sep 14 2013, 03:32 PM)
user posted image
hahahahahaha

Bump Topic Add ReplyOptions New Topic

Change to:
| Lo-Fi Version
0.0232sec    0.22    5 queries    GZIP Disabled
Time is now: 29th March 2024 - 06:39 PM