Bump Topic Add Reply RSS Feed New Topic New Poll

Outline · [ Standard ] · Linear+

> Celebrity fitness scam

views

TSkubuk
post Jun 4 2013, 08:31 PM, updated 6y ago

Casual
Group: Junior Member

I received a letter from celebrity fitness to my hometown address stating that I owe them 5 months of fees and also late payment. The thing is, I never had any account with them. I went last year for trial and I surrendered my ic to them as a deposit for trial. I know that's kind of stupid but I should have known better. I filled up a survey for them too but I never signed any contract staying that I'm gonna join it. Soon after that, the consultant kept calling asking me to join and that there's a promotion.

How do I go about this? It's obviously a scam and they threaten to bring me to court? Should I sue them instead?
janson_kaniaz
post Jun 4 2013, 09:47 PM

Group: Senior Member

since it has gone to such level, y not ask for whatever proof they so called have that you have membership under them?
DT1
post Jun 4 2013, 10:06 PM

Regular

Yup as Jason mentioned ask the for proof. It's quite simple. And remember to record all your calls with them, google for app called " auto call recorder" in play store. Cleverly ask the right questions which would prompt them to reveal details clearly pointing out what they've done and also what you've done which they confirm over the phone. That's your proof.
DT1
post Jun 4 2013, 10:10 PM

Regular

Make sure the calls are as detailed as possible, starting from reference to the letter and reference number which they confirm over the phone, followed by amount owed, and your dispute, and their assertion and clarifications, and the person's name, and also request to speak to the manager and get that name as well, and request for a follow up email to be sent, etc. All these serve as a paper trail" for evidence.
TSkubuk
post Jun 4 2013, 10:15 PM

Casual

Thanks for the prompt reply. So it's better if I do it through the phone than in person?
janson_kaniaz
post Jun 4 2013, 10:22 PM

if you can settle it face to face why not?
after all, it might just be a misunderstanding.
DT1
post Jun 4 2013, 10:26 PM

Regular

QUOTE(kubuk @ Jun 4 2013, 10:15 PM)
Thanks for the prompt reply. So it's better if I do it through the phone than in person?
I personally feel so. Especially if the call starts with an automated company greeting and operator. Makes it even more incriminating. Unless you have a really good concealable mini mic and videocam, which just sounds like too much of an effort for some scumbags problem. Just sit back relax make a call and incriminate someone with a call recoder while taking your morning shit. The key is to be nonchalant and not be bothered about scumbags.
DT1
post Jun 4 2013, 10:29 PM

Regular

Btw you sure you didn't sign on anything the first time around? If you did then good luck with a hard case as there's bound to be some fine print. And you can't exactly say you didn't know what you were signing on.
TSkubuk
post Jun 4 2013, 10:31 PM

Casual

Don't think I did. Because I was with a friend and he said he didn't sign anything either. Just a form to fill. Sort of like a survey of your salary and stuff you're interested in. What if my signature was forged. But then again he had my IC..
DT1
post Jun 4 2013, 10:35 PM

Regular

QUOTE(kubuk @ Jun 4 2013, 10:31 PM)
Don't think I did. Because I was with a friend and he said he didn't sign anything either. Just a form to fill. Sort of like a survey of your salary and stuff you're interested in. What if my signature was forged. But then again he had my IC..
Well if you're sure you didn't sign then no biggie. How would they even know your signature to forge one? If that's the case it's not even a commercial dispute anymore, it's a criminal case! I doubt so. For me I would do the call recording thing and be as lengthy as possible to cover all possible angles.
TSkubuk
post Jun 4 2013, 10:49 PM

Casual

Very disturbed from this. Will follow your advice tomorrow bro. Currently a member at true fitness. Thank god nothing like this ever happened. Don't know why was I so itchy to go test out celebrity fitness in the first place.
janson_kaniaz
post Jun 4 2013, 11:00 PM

was it a deal from groupon or something?
TSkubuk
post Jun 4 2013, 11:03 PM

Casual

Not groupon. Just trial for 1 day. Was checking out the facilities at pyramid.
Decky
post Jun 4 2013, 11:20 PM

Regular

QUOTE(kubuk @ Jun 4 2013, 11:03 PM)
Not groupon. Just trial for 1 day. Was checking out the facilities at pyramid.
Oh crappp man. I tried out celebrity at OU as well.

Didn't happen to me...yet.

These flashy gyms are scary!
Arrio
post Jun 5 2013, 12:43 AM

On my way

First of all, they have no rights to retain your IC. No one under the Malaysian law. They can photocopy as a proof of whatsoever offical application but return you back at once. Based on this issue, they have breached the common law. In fact I suggest face to face settlement and tell them you gonna record the whole conversation. Anyway like a bro said above, probably could be some misunderstanding.. If so in fact you can demand an apology or free MEMEBERSHIP if you don press charges against the misconduct of biz tongue.gif
xxboxx
post Jun 5 2013, 09:49 PM

Be like water

most likely some one that works there filled up wrongly or because wanted to get commission.

i don't think it is worth it to take to court for just mere 5 months membership. they also have a reputation to keep. if the words get out that they forcing someone that didn't sign up to pay, might ruin their business.
TSkubuk
post Jun 6 2013, 11:22 PM

Casual

Ok. Latest update. Their account manager said that I can treat the letter as nothing and that it was their mistake. No apology nothing. I guess their image is already tainted in the first place so no point taking care of it.
DT1
post Jun 7 2013, 09:03 AM

Regular

QUOTE(kubuk @ Jun 6 2013, 11:22 PM)
Ok. Latest update. Their account manager said that I can treat the letter as nothing and that it was their mistake. No apology nothing. I guess their image is already tainted in the first place so no point taking care of it.
Hope you got a recording of that and his name?
TSkubuk
post Jun 27 2013, 09:08 AM

Casual

Forgotten to reply to this thread lol.

No I didn't record anything. I asked my family friend lawyer to help me settle the case. Took them around 2 days I think to finally abandon the intention of sueing me. No apology nothing. Really looks like cf really doesn't care about its name. My lawyer said that the only thing the cf manager told him was that 'ill send you an email by tomorrow morning as a proof that you can discard this matter'
DT1
post Jun 27 2013, 10:23 AM

Regular

QUOTE(kubuk @ Jun 27 2013, 09:08 AM)
Forgotten to reply to this thread lol.

No I didn't record anything. I asked my family friend lawyer to help me settle the case. Took them around 2 days I think to finally abandon the intention of sueing me. No apology nothing. Really looks like cf really doesn't care about its name. My lawyer said that the only thing the cf manager told him was that 'ill send you an email by tomorrow morning as a proof that you can discard this matter'
Next time can H&F BB section call upon your help? tongue.gif
Far-KingOfSorts
post Jun 27 2013, 10:40 AM

Casual

CF Sucks!
TSkubuk
post Jun 27 2013, 10:51 AM

Casual

QUOTE(DT1 @ Jun 27 2013, 10:23 AM)
Next time can H&F BB section call upon your help?  tongue.gif
Too much trouble bro. Was so disturbed that day when I received the news that I couldn't sleep. But I'll try to help if I can lol.

Bump Topic Add ReplyOptions New Topic

Switch to:
| Lo-Fi Version
0.0776sec    2.27    5 queries    GZIP Disabled
Time is now: 19th June 2019 - 12:51 PM