Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Outline · [ Standard ] · Linear+

Turtles, Terrapins and Tortoises V6, Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles

views

NiniWahab
post Jul 6 2017, 07:00 PM

0 posts

Hello.
New tortoise mom here. I have 2 cherry head redfoot baby tortoises. You may have been asked this questions so many times. I have also gone through some threads about this. There are so many foreign greens and vegetables that can only be bought in the supermarket. There are some that are well known and I can readily get from my garden like hibiscus leaves and flowers, grape leaves, mulberry leaves, rose flowers. I am also happy to know that sawi and bunga kertas, mint, cilantro, aloe vera can be given as food, as well as papayas.

I love gardening and i have some plants and weeds that I need to run through with you guys to see whether it is safe and that if I can use it as staple or just on the 'occasional' list.
1. Pegaga - Centella asiatica, pennywort. I have a variety of it including the Hydrocotyle leucocephala (used for planted tanks)
2. Daun kesum - Persicaria odorata
3. Daun cekur - Kaempferia galanga
4. Daun sup - Apium graveolens
5. Fig leaves, fruits
6. Pucuk ubi kayu - cassava shoots

Weeds:
1. Maman pasir - Cleyome gynandra
2. Sireh cina - Peperomia pellucida

I tried to find some in the Tortoise Table Database but I could not get any. same as in Tortoise Forum. There is a thread on Indian plants for Indian Star Tortoises. That was very helpful too.

The reason I like using my own plants is of course because it's free and readily available so I can pick them fresh. It is also pesticide free.

My redfoots are still babies and have not fully recovered from the stress of a new home so I am sticking to the ones I know that is safe including store bought ones.

So I'd appreciate the help.
1. on the list above
2. other suggestion for easily available edible plants for tortoises
3. since redfoots are omnivores, what animal protein would you give to the babies?

Thank you so much.

PS: I supplement their diet with Repashy supervege powder with calcium carbonate, mazuri pellets (which they aren't interested at all). Daily sunlight in 80% shady area in the garden for an hour or two, then back to the patio where it is bright but no direct sunlight. Temperature 29C min 35C max average 32C with 80% humidity and above. Substrate coco husk and some spots of damp sphagnum moss. Of course readily available, easily accessible water bowl and some pots for them to sleep in. No UVB or basking light as they would not come out at all with the lights on and I personally think it is not necessary for rainforest tortoises with parameters as above.

Sorry for the long post lol. Would really love some input. Thank you guys. Have a nice day.
Nini

Change to:
| Lo-Fi Version
0.0363sec    0.25    7 queries    GZIP Disabled
Time is now: 29th March 2024 - 10:56 PM