Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Outline · [ Standard ] · Linear+

> gd freelancer, how to issue an invoice?

views

TSseeseong
post Mar 24 2006, 01:40 PM, updated 16y ago

Getting Started
71 posts

halo, I would like to know how u guys issue the invoice to ur client when they ask u to do that...personally i din have a company name register yet and i need to know how the graphic design freelancer issue the invoice. i know the topic is not suitable to post here..but since u guys are most freelancer in GD, so i just post here to seek ur guy's help..THANK YOU!!!

eyeball
post Mar 24 2006, 01:41 PM

Casual
481 posts

You can still issue an invoice stating that you are a freelancer, with your name and ic will do. Its valid, i guess.
eyeball
post Mar 24 2006, 01:42 PM

Casual
481 posts

Else you can register an Enterprise with less than Rm200 per year.
TSseeseong
post Mar 24 2006, 01:44 PM

Getting Started
71 posts

eh...u guys got sample??? i surf the net oledi..it seems none of them is suitable....thank you for advice and suggestion
etsuko
post Mar 24 2006, 06:03 PM

Spaced out person
Group Icon
Elite
4,208 posts

try http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/templates/default.aspx

download and use the ready made templates.. tongue.gif
TSseeseong
post Mar 24 2006, 11:20 PM

Getting Started
71 posts

wor, it helps me alot...thanks...
TSseeseong
post Mar 25 2006, 03:11 PM

Getting Started
71 posts

how come the templates din have a place for authorised and signature??? is that we neccessarry need that? most of the invoice will have recipent signature and authorised signature, rite??? sorry again...coz this post should be in other category...hehe...
TSseeseong
post Mar 25 2006, 03:13 PM

Getting Started
71 posts

another question... can we send the invoice by post?
etsuko
post Mar 25 2006, 06:09 PM

Spaced out person
Group Icon
Elite
4,208 posts

the authorized signature all that you can add it yourself.. just open MS Word and customize. wink.gif

yes, you can send it by post but of course, meeting up with the person allows you to have a friendly conversation before 'demanding' money. but if the person is very far away, i suppose mail is fine.
TSseeseong
post Mar 26 2006, 01:39 AM

Getting Started
71 posts

well, actualy this is my first freelance job which was introduce by my friend to help his company to design a product card. Now the design had print out but he had resigned oledi...Before that he never ask me to issue an invoice..I just been aware that I have to do that after I called his former superior last few days....well, she said that the company din pay for personal payment and ask me claim the payment from their supplier...this is wat annoys me...
if send by mail, i have send 2 copies of the invoice and ask him send back the one with his signature to me? if have to do that, should i prepare the envelope and stamps for him also???
sorry to trouble u guys...
hope all the inexperience freelancer aware of that...
etsuko
post Mar 26 2006, 10:54 AM

Spaced out person
Group Icon
Elite
4,208 posts

if you included an extra envelope and stamp, that's added convenience and appreciation. it might also help you get your payment faster because you're helping them out with a step and all they have to do it post the item.

however, if i were you i'd be hammering my friend since he just left the company without informing you of his resignation and who you should be in contact with when he's gone.

the danger here right now is the passing on of responsibility in that company. the person says contact that person and the next thing you might find is that they'll say check with superior and whatever nonsense.

that's why nowadays most companies or freelancers have demanded a minimum 50% payment before the start of project. smile.gif

hope that helps and you get your payment.
boringpig
post Nov 8 2006, 07:42 PM

Regular
1,339 posts

good day guys..

i have got a freelance job introduced by my friend too.. his current boss want a website for his other business and this is my first assignment. would like to ask, what are the procedures that you guys practice? need some guidelines. do i ask for partial agreed-payment before finishing the whole assignment or full-payment only when i present the final product which to me seems a little bit dangerous.

thanks in advance!
nada-
post Nov 9 2006, 08:35 AM

Getting Started
264 posts

defunk contract sample

If you read any contract carefully, it covers the whole terms and conditions from: deposits, payment schedule, reproduction of work, copyright issues and even cancelation of project.

Designers need to realise the importance of contract. Contract is not for safety, but to show that both the designer and client trust each other. It doesn't matter whether your registered or not, with both signatures there and details of both individuals the b/w is legal already.

Regarding your partial-payment-agreement I take it your talking about a deposit. Usually deposits start from 30% - 40% from the full payment. Afterall think about it, if your client cant even pay the deposit, what does it tell you about them?
boringpig
post Nov 10 2006, 01:59 AM

Regular
1,339 posts

QUOTE(nada- @ Nov 9 2006, 08:35 AM)
defunk contract sample

If you read any contract carefully, it covers the whole terms and conditions from: deposits, payment schedule, reproduction of work, copyright issues and even cancelation of project.

Designers need to realise the importance of contract. Contract is not for safety, but to show that both the designer and client trust each other. It doesn't matter whether your registered or not, with both signatures there and details of both individuals the b/w is legal already.

Regarding your partial-payment-agreement I take it your talking about a deposit. Usually deposits start from 30% - 40% from the full payment. Afterall think about it, if your client cant even pay the deposit, what does it tell you about them?
LOL.. thanks for the info..
anyway, just found a site by a freelancer as well.. he published a book called "Web Designers Success Guide: How to Profit from Freelance Web Design" and is available for free in pdf.. a very detailed guide indeed..
etsuko
post Nov 10 2006, 09:19 PM

Spaced out person
Group Icon
Elite
4,208 posts

I downloaded awhile ago.

Did you guys know, 37Signals also has opened their recent book online for free. Can't download a PDF version though. tongue.gif

Anyway, yeah airgid's book is quite a nice read.
boringpig
post Nov 11 2006, 05:48 PM

Regular
1,339 posts

one more thing..

currently, i'm in the fill of web designing too..
will it be like a BIG trouble if there is any chance that my boss found out i'm doing freelancing? tongue.gif
Fujihime
post Nov 14 2006, 12:49 AM

Getting Started
164 posts

QUOTE(boringpig @ Nov 11 2006, 05:48 PM)
one more thing..

currently, i'm in the fill of web designing too..
will it be like a BIG trouble if there is any chance that my boss found out i'm doing freelancing?  tongue.gif
Depends really, my prev. co allow their lecturers to do freelance. But it should have something written on your contract about it? If not then ask ur boss haha!

About the invoice thing, I guess doing exactly how printers or other businesses should be fine as long as they know you're a freelancer.
boringpig
post Nov 14 2006, 03:00 PM

Regular
1,339 posts

QUOTE(Fujihime @ Nov 14 2006, 12:49 AM)
Depends really, my prev. co allow their lecturers to do freelance. But it should have something written on your contract about it? If not then ask ur boss haha!

About the invoice thing, I guess doing exactly how printers or other businesses should be fine as long as they know you're a freelancer.
thanks for the advice.. laugh.gif
boringpig
post Nov 23 2006, 01:14 AM

Regular
1,339 posts

sorry.. wanna ask again..

is quotation = invoice?
here is the situation.. the customer had chosen the design and i'm asking for up front payment before i actually start to work on it. should i issue an invoice or quotation?

thanks!

EDIT: typo error

This post has been edited by boringpig: Nov 23 2006, 01:14 AM
eddychstu
post Nov 23 2006, 01:18 AM

Why so serious?
2,347 posts

1st: quotation and costing
2nd: payment recieved
3rd: issue invoice
boringpig
post Nov 23 2006, 01:27 AM

Regular
1,339 posts

QUOTE(eddychstu @ Nov 23 2006, 01:18 AM)
1st: quotation and costing
2nd: payment recieved
3rd: issue invoice
inside my quotation, i should state the payment terms as well, right?
and then should i also issue a receipt together with the invoice? as i've received the payment.. or an invoice is sufficient enough?

sorry for bothering.. thanks again!
ReWeR
post Nov 23 2006, 01:55 AM

Foreveralone
1,715 posts

QUOTE(boringpig @ Nov 23 2006, 01:14 AM)
sorry.. wanna ask again..

is quotation = invoice?
here is the situation.. the customer had chosen the design and i'm asking for up front payment before i actually start to work on it. should i issue an invoice or quotation?

thanks!
EDIT: typo error
I also not sure, but as I know quotation = ask for price in black and white. Invoice = receipt that haven't paid.
boringpig
post Nov 23 2006, 02:06 AM

Regular
1,339 posts

QUOTE(ReWeR @ Nov 23 2006, 01:55 AM)
I also not sure, but as I know quotation = ask for price in black and white. Invoice = receipt that haven't paid.
okok.. revise..

1. quotation
--- up front received ---
2. receipt
3. invoice for balance

correct? tongue.gif

EDIT: sorry... typo again.. time to sleep i guess.. xD

This post has been edited by boringpig: Nov 23 2006, 02:07 AM
jy14
post Nov 24 2006, 01:33 AM

**New 5-star General**
824 posts

I don't really know much about freelance business, but in the actual business practice, there are basically a few ways. The safe way is as below:

1. Client ask you to do something
2. You quote the client the price, delivery date, payment method and other terms & condition inside a 'Quotation'
3. Then when the client agree to the quotation, then either they pay u a deposit or you just directly go n produce the work/product for them.
4. When you give your final actual work to them, give them the invoice at the same time. Inside the invoice is usually the description of the work done and also the payment / remaining payment required.
5. Wait to collect your cheque.

It's just my 2cents from my experience but if you really want to play safe, a contract will be the best.
boringpig
post Nov 24 2006, 10:52 AM

Regular
1,339 posts

QUOTE(jy14 @ Nov 24 2006, 01:33 AM)
I don't really know much about freelance business, but in the actual business practice, there are basically a few ways. The safe way is as below:

1. Client ask you to do something
2. You quote the client the price, delivery date, payment method and other terms & condition inside a 'Quotation'
3. Then when the client agree to the quotation, then either they pay u a deposit or you just directly go n produce the work/product for them.
4. When you give your final actual work to them, give them the invoice at the same time. Inside the invoice is usually the description of the work done and also the payment / remaining payment required.
5. Wait to collect your cheque.

It's just my 2cents from my experience but if you really want to play safe, a contract will be the best.
thanks.. i think i have a clearer understanding now..
currently doing the same way.. xD
jy14
post Nov 28 2006, 02:50 AM

**New 5-star General**
824 posts

QUOTE(boringpig @ Nov 24 2006, 10:52 AM)
thanks.. i think i have a clearer understanding now..
currently doing the same way.. xD
great !! wish u all the best !!
boringpig
post Nov 28 2006, 09:55 AM

Regular
1,339 posts

thank you..
wish all the freelancer all the best too! rclxms.gif
shook
post Nov 29 2006, 02:24 PM

professional stalker
849 posts

for me always request 50% as a deposit.. many of my frens not get their payment after job finish
jy14
post Nov 30 2006, 03:34 AM

**New 5-star General**
824 posts

QUOTE(shook @ Nov 29 2006, 02:24 PM)
for me always request 50% as a deposit.. many of my frens not get their payment after job finish
very true, but also prepare a contract which will protect both parties and u'll be able to get ur payment more promptly

shook
post Nov 30 2006, 09:52 AM

professional stalker
849 posts

QUOTE(jy14 @ Nov 30 2006, 03:34 AM)
very true, but also prepare a contract which will protect both parties and u'll be able to get ur payment more promptly
sumtimes contracts will make ur job more difficult.. thay want this la..this la..

Change to:
| Lo-Fi Version
0.0283sec    1.25    5 queries    GZIP Disabled
Time is now: 18th October 2021 - 12:45 PM