Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Bump Topic Add Reply RSS Feed New Topic New Poll

Outline · [ Standard ] · Linear+

> How to apply for SIRIM?, Update: Procedure to apply inside

Eternalgl0ry
post May 21 2017, 01:47 AM

Casual
447 posts

QUOTE(PeacefulDiscord @ May 6 2017, 06:13 PM)
SIRIM permits are mainly for equipment that has a radio inside it. Things like bluetooth, GSM radio, wireless radio, etc.

If your desktop doesn't have those, then no, you won't need a permit from SIRIM. Just import them normally.
SIFU i need your help.

I ordered a fitbit wristband from USA AMAZON. Its a smartwatch that tracks sleep and exercise data ... it was my mothers day present but DHL say they need SIRIM permit approval

Do the forms work with in JB too ?

QUOTE(PeacefulDiscord @ Dec 21 2012, 10:37 AM)
Hello,

I just ordered a Nexus 4 from the US and now FedEx is telling me I need this SIRIM approval thing. I have always imported gadgets from US before (ordered Nexus 7 using DHL and no need to get approval) and wanted to know how to apply for this SIRIM permit? Also, will there be some kind of tax I need to pay, or will the permit cost a certain amount?

Any help would be appreciated

EDIT: This is the procedure to apply for the permit

Just wanted to update everyone who might be interested, I went and applied for SIRIM special approval and the process was dead simple and cheap. The process went like this:

1) Downloaded, printed and filled form for E-Permit application and Special approval (see attachment) Thanks to user bv2427 for the documents biggrin.gif
1a) If you don't know the Tariff code for your product, just search over here.
2) Print specification for hand phone being imported, in my case it was the Nexus 4 technical specs (use the Nexus 4 page on Google to print out the technical specs for the phone)
3) Get a copy of your IC or Passport
4) Print shipment and customs invoice (Ask your courier for the shipping invoice or pro-forma invoice)
5) Go to SIRIM HQ, Block 25
6) Hand all the documents in and pay the RM100 for the approval
7) You should receive the permit in about 3-5 hours
8) Send it to your courier and wait for them to process it and release your package from customs

Honestly, was worth more to learn the procedure to do this than pay RM300 to FedEx broker to do it for me. I saved RM200 by doing it myself which honestly didn't require much hassle at all. The SIRIM people are not helpful on the phone but if you go there in person, quite helpful and pleasant to deal with.

My advice is to always go in person and do it rather than call/email. Always easier. Just remember to have all the documents prepared to make it less hassle and time consuming.

Thanks everyone for the advice and hope this helps other people out!
Help with 1a and 2.... I am very weak at Malay language too....

This post has been edited by Eternalgl0ry: May 21 2017, 01:49 AM
Eternalgl0ry
post May 21 2017, 01:52 AM

Casual
447 posts

QUOTE(haige @ Dec 4 2015, 05:49 PM)
Hi it's my first time applying for SIRIM after my Nvidia Shield Tablet was held by customs. I applied through email due to the fact that I live far away from KL... So I followed all the instructions and applied yesterday, today I received a email from SIRIM stating that my application was "Acknowledged by Customs", I sent this to my carrier but they told me to that this is only a confirmation and not the actual approval. Sorry for the long story but my point is: Am I on the right track ? and how long does it usually take for me to receive the actual permit ?

Thanks  notworthy.gif  notworthy.gif
How did you accomplish this ? i too live far away from KL too. How do you apply through email ???
Eternalgl0ry
post May 28 2017, 10:52 PM

Casual
447 posts

Thanks i just received my item few days ago. Apparently this is like a " extra money " for them

like tips sleep.gif . If unlucky will kena this SIRIM thingy

My friend ordered the same item though different color only from the same US store and same courier but he managed to avoid this. sleep.gif"

Change to:
| Lo-Fi Version
0.0122sec    0.30    7 queries    GZIP Disabled
Time is now: 29th March 2024 - 01:14 AM