Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Outline · [ Standard ] · Linear+

The best cinema hall in Malaysia!

views

SSJBen
post Mar 18 2019, 06:48 PM

Stars deez nuts.
4,477 posts

Malaysia cinemas are truly just borderline decent only. There's not a single good one, even when it's entirely new.
SSJBen
post Mar 18 2019, 10:23 PM

Stars deez nuts.
4,477 posts

QUOTE(terradrgn @ Mar 18 2019, 09:32 PM)
If we take into account the prices of our tickets, compared to foreign countries, I think it's a pretty good deal.
But then again I didn't watch movies in many countries. Just hearsay from friends of HK and TW.

Care to advise on which countries cinema we should keep an eye out for? Can consider to watch a movie if so happen to holiday there.
Sure, if price IS part of the discussion, nothing beats a dedicated Home Theatre - built from the ground up. But that would be an endless debate, no?

That's why I said borderline decent. I think the local cinemas are charged right, but there can be improvements. Example, do you know that the current GSC Maxx at MyTown has issues with the subs and the ceiling? The ceiling is rattling and it's been that way for over 3 months now - I watched Aquaman in Dec and Cap Marvel yesterday, rattling is STILL there ffs. Oh and the the top right sub (they have 5 subs, 4 on the ceiling) is busted but of course no one knows wtf I'm talking about when I bring it up. doh.gif

As for countries, check the list of Dolby Vision cinemas in the US and the UK. As far as commercial goes, they are the benchmark right now. I happen to travel to Houston Texas often enough (family in law there), so AMC @ Katy Mills or Willowbrook is where I usually go to. The best is apparently the Odeon at Leceister for now, but I've not had the chance to visit it yet.

This post has been edited by SSJBen: Mar 19 2019, 02:55 AM
SSJBen
post Apr 4 2019, 11:43 PM

Stars deez nuts.
4,477 posts

QUOTE(rideverest @ Apr 4 2019, 08:33 PM)
Totally agree with you. Malaysian cinemas are way behind. 4 years ago when I was in India, the major cinema chains were playing movies on 4K projectors. Most of my trips overseas has shown me how far behind our cinemas are. That's why I hope forums like this gain attention of local exhibitors, expose audiences to such matters and promote healthy competition as well. Cheers tongue.gif
I did not notice on the MyTown MAXX hall issue when I was there on Feb. I'm always alert of sound distortions actually. Did you manage to raise the issue with the branch manager/technician? I suggest all movie goers to do so the next time you face such situations.
MBO is at least taking the initiative to make better cinema halls, but still have some ways to go.

The rattling in MyTown Maxx hall can only be heard on the D-box row and the 1 row (D) below it. As for the sub, I'm very aware of sub distortions. I did raise it with one of the technician yet, but of course they don't understand the issue. They actually don't even understand what a sub bottoming out sounds like, so yeah. mega_shok.gif
SSJBen
post May 17 2019, 05:04 PM

Stars deez nuts.
4,477 posts

Unfortunate that MBO isn't showing John Wick 3 on their Big Screen (Starling) hall as it's still reserved for Avengers 4. Makes sense business wise, but JW3 audio track simply outclasses Avengers 4.

So yeah guys, too bad everyone still circle jerking to Avengers 4 and fucking pokemon that you're missing out on one of the best sounding movie in the last 2 years.

This post has been edited by SSJBen: May 17 2019, 05:04 PM
SSJBen
post Aug 24 2023, 05:38 PM

Stars deez nuts.
4,477 posts

QUOTE(khainiz94 @ Aug 24 2023, 10:37 AM)
Yep I agree.
GSC BIG is in another league.
Kinda disappointed that the Atmos hall by TGV Pavillion BJ cannot match the GSC BIG halls in terms of screen size.
But for me I will still go for TGV Atmos hall is just because of the chairs, so damn comfy.

BTW just tried GSC BIG MyTown and honestly that hall is quite impressive.
BIG 4K Laser screen and sound system Dolby Atmos which is fully THX Certified is impressive.
The screen is so big weh, even IMAX Laser feels tiny by comparison.
But the chairs ermmmm still not as good as TGV Pavilion BJ.
It seems MyTown will be my 2nd go to cinema besides Pavilion BJ until GSC launches the GSC BIG hall at IOI City Mall and will see how good the hall there.
So far GSC BIG at MyTown is just impressive and cheaper too.

And yeah what happen to GSC plans at KL East Mall?
GSC BIGG MyTown used to be better back in 2016-2017.

They've already changed their speakers actually, they are no longer JBL Pro speakers for the surround and heights. Therefore it's technically no longer a THX certified setup (not that it matters very much).

They have 4 subs in the hall, but 1 of them busted in 2018 and I pointed it to them because there is a very obvious room null in the G and H rows. Meaning these 2 rows will have uneven bass response and this is only in the middle, it's even worse at the sides because there is too much peak energy there.

Obviously they never do anything because in 2019 GSC monopilize everything. You suka tak suka, you still have to come here anyways. So don't have to give top notch service anymore.

Change to:
| Lo-Fi Version
0.0122sec    0.21    7 queries    GZIP Disabled
Time is now: 29th March 2024 - 09:51 AM