22 Pages  1 2 3 > » Bottom

Outline · [ Standard ] · Linear+

> Alternator & Starter Overhaul Shop, 40 years of experience

views

TSupontheriversky
post Oct 6 2012, 09:00 PM, updated 8y ago

12 posts

hi,

i recently had problems with my alternator not charging consistently and i wanted to save money from buying new one. I stumbled upon this workshop in Jalan Ipoh where they rebuilt and replace faulty alternator parts.

It is a good place to overhaul your old alternator and starter just the way we all overhaul our old engine

The boss is a silent old chap but very polite, i monitored his work and he was thorough and do things orderly, not very common in younger workshops we see these days where everything is about profit and fame, but working attitude kaput.

Due to his excellent work and experience, i decided to share his shop info here, FYI i am not taking any sort of commission, just a chap who praises a good old school workmanship and working attitude

The worker told me almost all alternators can be fixed without buying a new one as the fault is usually due to malfunctioning parts only, replacing it will make it as good as new.

replacing old whining, squealing alternator bearing with new one:

user posted image

the brushes of my 10 years alternator has worn off, no wonder it causes electrical inconsistency, compare below between new brushes and the worn ones:

user posted image

i decided to refurbish my starter as well, the brushes was ok but the bush has worn out causing it to vibrate, u can see the scratch black marks on the plate due to scuffing from the starter body when it vibrates, this happens when we crank the engine, anyway they replaced it:

user posted image

Cost was RM90 for alternator brushes and bearing including labour for removing and reinstalling the altenators, RM45 for starter bush including labour, not bad.

it is located nearby kem batu kentomen, jalan ipoh at the side of the main road

those coming from roundabout jalan kuching:
a) at roundabout, enter jalan ipoh
b) proceed straight passing through several traffic lights, u will find a caltex station
c) proceed further ahead until u see a signboard going to kem batu kentomen on the left, proceed straight but drive slow after this junction as the shop is nearby already, most people missed it
d) the shop is located besides furniture store, u can see a lot of batteries at the workshop front

user posted image

Hope this helps

This post has been edited by upontheriversky: Oct 6 2012, 09:09 PM
Kirie
post Oct 7 2012, 10:39 PM

16 posts

i think most of those called recond starter & alternator been repaired by this chap..
scoupe
post Oct 7 2012, 10:46 PM

35 posts

does he have equipment to test the alternators without fixing it back onto the car?
sky1223
post Oct 7 2012, 11:08 PM

Getting Started
202 posts

This shop also provide wiring checking too...i bad problem with power window last time,their staff help me solve n foc
RaFaLe
post Oct 7 2012, 11:20 PM

Getting Started
177 posts

Wow this is a good find in an era where lotsa mechanics only know how to replace instead of fixing things the ol skool way.. thanks for sharing thumbup.gif
Quazacolt
post Oct 8 2012, 01:00 AM

Riding couple
3,171 posts

will hit up this chap when i got the cash year end to overhaul my alternator. how much it cost btw? like TS rm90?
Nine9
post Oct 9 2012, 11:38 AM

Getting Started
216 posts

I wonder this shop can do alternator upgrade, mean upgrade to higher output
joshuaa85
post Oct 9 2012, 03:08 PM

Enthusiast
769 posts

price as mansion is incude remove ans install ?
so cheap leh
reform
post Feb 4 2013, 05:00 PM

1 posts

Good Share, Thank for it.

Well believe we can change the bush before it spoil
A preventative steps.
flowerhorn08
post Nov 10 2013, 01:03 PM

Getting Started
143 posts

Hmmm... the price must have gone up by now ..that is.. if the shop is still around

cognac
post Nov 10 2013, 06:20 PM

Casual
486 posts

back in my hometown we have these kind of shops. Thank you TS for sharing this shop. I have been wondering is these shops exist.

Actually normal shops will sell you re-cond starter and buy back your faulty starter. And this is the place they send it to repair it, before selling it to you as a re-cond starter. They are earning quite alot actually, because the repairing is not very expensive. Usually worn bearing and brushes worn out.

Thanks TS!
eeleesuperman
post Nov 10 2013, 09:20 PM

8 posts

Some of the diodes rectifier or voltage regulator having faulty
u might replace recon alternator

This post has been edited by eeleesuperman: Nov 10 2013, 09:33 PM
abubin
post Nov 10 2013, 10:09 PM

Look at all my stars!!
9,171 posts

how much does it cost for fixing the alternator?

Sorry..just read you did post the pricing. Around 50% price for a recon set. I guess more savings for those using expensive alternators. For local p1/p2 cars less savings. Recon set have 1months warranty.

This post has been edited by abubin: Nov 10 2013, 10:23 PM
burn1892
post Aug 18 2014, 11:36 AM

15 posts

and does anyone here knows if this type of shop exists in penang? i need to service my wira 1.6 alternator & starter..
michlove
post Apr 16 2015, 11:04 AM

Getting Started
233 posts

QUOTE(upontheriversky @ Oct 6 2012, 09:00 PM)
» Click to show Spoiler - click again to hide... «

hi there, I just want to tell you, your post has saved my day! Workshop quoted me a new alternator for RM2.3k!
SleeplessEyes
post Apr 16 2015, 11:11 AM

I'm me bro, let me be me
917 posts

QUOTE(michlove @ Apr 16 2015, 11:04 AM)
hi there, I just want to tell you, your post has saved my day! Workshop quoted me a new alternator for RM2.3k!
Woah! blink.gif
What car is that la..
michlove
post Apr 16 2015, 11:16 AM

Getting Started
233 posts

QUOTE(SleeplessEyes @ Apr 16 2015, 11:11 AM)
Woah!  blink.gif
What car is that la..
toyota altis loh...my heart wanna cry when i heard 2.3k....now on the way to this electrical workshop, hope they can help me.....
LDP
post Apr 16 2015, 11:22 AM

Casual
315 posts

There is another old chap, quiet fellow at Jalan Penchala, PJ.

He is a car wireman, and he has serviced my car starter before at a reasonable price.
michlove
post Apr 16 2015, 11:23 AM

Getting Started
233 posts

QUOTE(LDP @ Apr 16 2015, 11:22 AM)
There is another old chap, quiet fellow at Jalan Penchala, PJ.

He is a car wireman, and he has serviced my car starter before at a reasonable price.
can share with me the contacts? Thx!
SleeplessEyes
post Apr 16 2015, 12:38 PM

I'm me bro, let me be me
917 posts

QUOTE(michlove @ Apr 16 2015, 11:16 AM)
toyota altis loh...my heart wanna cry when i heard 2.3k....now on the way to this electrical workshop, hope they can help me.....
For a second I thought it was some conti car i.e BMW/Merc, but when I hear is just a Toyota, I would think 10x before accepting.

Never knew a Toyota could be so inflated.

22 Pages  1 2 3 > » Top

Switch to:
| Lo-Fi Version
0.0477sec    1.51    6 queries    GZIP Disabled
Time is now: 19th November 2019 - 08:17 PM