Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

21 Pages < 1 2 3 4 > » Bottom

Outline · [ Standard ] · Linear+

DESIGNERS SALARY TALK, What's the market rate?

views

s7ran9er
post Aug 20 2012, 09:30 PM

ლ(;◉;益;◉;ლ)
4,210 posts

QUOTE(pinkyd @ Aug 16 2012, 09:23 AM)
Thank you for sharing ur salary so at least we know that they are designers that get paid well!..

After I have graduated, I realize that they are 2 type of companies a designer can work in. Design Studio / ad agency / print house or Corporate Companies. I believe all the designers posted above are in a In-house dept of a corporate companies. That is why they manage to get high pay.. smile.gif

1. Design Studio / Ad agency / Print House
- The starting salary for a fresh grad usually starts below 2k. If your portfolio and skills are really good it can reach mora than 2k. The main focus of the company is producing design / ideas or any multimedia service. Your job is focus on just design. Working hours are like crazy.. Low benefits. But work environment is fun, creative with no dresscode.

2. Corporate Companies / Government Agencies : eg. Sime Darby, Bank Negara, Mampu, MPOB...
This companies usually have an in-house design department and just one or two position for a designer. The salaries can start between 2.5k - 4k for a fresh grad with many other benefits. You are paid high... But as a creative, working in a corporate environment with strict dresscode and guidelines may not be that fun. You will be the ONLY designer in the organization so you are expected to knoww everything and you have to do print + web + video all by yourself. Plus, if you are an executive.. you have to do other work like doing presentations, preparing budget,  and many other boring non-design related jobs. To get in this organizations also need just more than design skills. Employers will look at your pointer : CGPA 3.00 and above, also your interpersonal and communications skills which many designers are lack of.

So its either work in a fun design studio where you can explore creative juices with low pay or in a strict corporate environment with high pay?
I like this, friends suggested going to work for in house designer then move into agency for better pay at least that's a way to gain more from agency but then again in agency, your works speak louder than you and unlike inhouse, you're cgpa and attitude speaks for you. icon_rolleyes.gif
Desert Punk
post Aug 22 2012, 11:48 AM

Getting Started
75 posts

QUOTE(Gmruleme @ Aug 20 2012, 02:51 PM)
sad.gif  You  still planning to stay there? don't u want to look for a new company/firm with a higher pay?
1.6k in Ipoh isn't exactly that bad tbh
m@nster
post Aug 25 2012, 09:30 AM

Getting Started
72 posts

Figure is big. My friends who are in this field unable find any that offer more than 2K.
TSNeoMnemonic
post Sep 7 2012, 11:38 AM

Enthusiast
760 posts

Here is the salary report taken from jobstreet.com

» Click to show Spoiler - click again to hide... «

bakabakayaro
post Sep 7 2012, 03:23 PM

46 posts

Job Title : Graphic Designer
Job Desciption : Graphic Design/Stock Check/Acrylic base holder design
Years spent in company : 3
Company : In-house
Industry :Retail Electronic
Tenure : Permanent
Employment Level : Executive, but doing my supervisors job as well since she resigned and no replacement for almost a year
Experience before joining : creative agency 2++ years
Salary : RM 3.4k include phone allowance or RM100

Feels kinda sad though. lol
TSNeoMnemonic
post Sep 7 2012, 04:17 PM

Enthusiast
760 posts

QUOTE(bakabakayaro @ Sep 7 2012, 04:23 PM)
Job Desciption : Graphic Design/Stock Check/Acrylic base holder design
Years spent in company : 3
Company : In-house
Industry :Retail Electronic
Employment Level : Executive, but doing my supervisors job as well since she resigned and no replacement for almost a year
Experience before joining : creative agency 2++ years
Salary : RM 3.4k include phone allowance or RM100
Feels kinda sad though. lol
Yeah, you should ask your boss can add your supervisor's salary into yours laugh.gif
aiqal
post Oct 17 2012, 09:14 AM

Getting Started
277 posts

Most likely designer salary cant/.wont reach 5 figures salary sad.gif .as im in degree graphic abd digital media,shoild i reconsider my future? ?
[+]
post Oct 17 2012, 10:10 AM

Regular
1,935 posts

QUOTE(aiqal @ Oct 17 2012, 09:14 AM)
Most likely designer salary cant/.wont reach 5 figures salary sad.gif .as im in degree  graphic abd digital media,shoild i reconsider my future? ?
i believe you can, depends on company and what line you are in.
interior or 3d also consider designer as well ma
Untitled2
post Oct 17 2012, 04:33 PM

Getting Started
90 posts

Those with low pays are spending their time in the office working their asses off!
They will not have time to post here, also i think some of them do not want to post their salary here!!
Haha, I wont if my salary is very low...
aiqal
post Oct 18 2012, 02:22 AM

Getting Started
277 posts

QUOTE(+ @ Oct 17 2012, 10:10 AM)
i believe you can, depends on company and what line you are in.
interior or 3d also consider designer as well ma
yes thats what i notice, mostly these multimedia artist will make more.
guess ill better start exploring 3d/aftereffects .. etc
[+]
post Oct 18 2012, 07:29 AM

Regular
1,935 posts

QUOTE(aiqal @ Oct 18 2012, 02:22 AM)
yes thats what i notice, mostly these multimedia artist will make more.
guess ill better start exploring 3d/aftereffects .. etc
try not to work only for the money, if you have the interest then ok
aiqal
post Oct 18 2012, 08:39 AM

Getting Started
277 posts

QUOTE(+ @ Oct 18 2012, 07:29 AM)
try not to work only for the money, if you have the interest then ok
as a matter infact im actually have interest on what
im studying and working freelance for ppl/friends.
but knowing that the pay isnt at hight stake
thinking on changing to multimedia rather thn sticking
to graphic and digital media. sad lio kerja mcm ni
payment sikit. this happens in malaysia only

outside they take this as a serious thing to
atleast advertise ur company.but not
here, company besar2 but thn designing/
art direction on the company bad.
limfreelance
post Oct 18 2012, 01:16 PM

Casual
335 posts

Walao...after i saw the detail shocking.gif shocking.gif
but sad, majority get low paid. sad.gif
Cyprid Dark ii
post Nov 1 2012, 07:50 PM

On my way
640 posts

So,since this was a salary talk for visionaries like us,I want to ask about salary negotiation.

I got a dilemma right now.The company that offered me to work under his/her design department was asking me about what I was expected for the salary+benefit regarding the work.

So,the tentative for my work is to deal with Royal Air Force military equipment like jet engine,fighter jet & system,& thing like that.Unlike most of the request he wanted me to make it as detail as possible due to the fact that my design would be integrated to the air force's simulator system,software evaluation for arms upgrading work & maintainence.It would goes under my contract of 1 year++ if accepted.

Since the nature of the project that definitely would be complex & "tight",I cant going for low wage this time around.So based on my previous salary with SG archviz company(part-time only,RM5K for all my work on viz+post production rendering+creative department each month) so I expected my salary would be around for RM8K-RM10.5K as a recommendation from the person that introduced me to the mentioned company with job.

Since I work with confidential subject,I cant specify what I would be modeling,but here the sample of what I need to do.(This sample is from my own work portfolio.)

user posted image

user posted image

& to be honest I didnt have any degree paper except my own experiences of self-learning & passion(I love 3d visualization,& anything that deal with mechatronic,chassis,engine & aerospace-related stuff)

I do however have a diploma in Industrial Design,but only finished foundation class & first year term before I quitted the college & get to work instead.... blink.gif

This post has been edited by Cyprid Dark ii: Nov 1 2012, 10:08 PM
TSNeoMnemonic
post Nov 1 2012, 10:20 PM

Enthusiast
760 posts

Well this is just from my thought. First of all it doesn't matter if you had a diploma or a degree. In your case is experience matter. It's about how detailed and efficient you worked on the project. Since you have to work on a classified project, definitely ask for 8K and above.

Another important factor is, do you enjoy the work, experience or the salary.
Otherwise no point stressing out your health and mentality.
shinkawa
post Nov 2 2012, 12:07 PM

parttime otaku
855 posts

QUOTE(Cyprid Dark ii @ Nov 1 2012, 08:50 PM)
So,since this was a salary talk for visionaries like us,I want to ask about salary negotiation.

I got a dilemma right now.The company that offered me to work under his/her design department was asking me about what I was expected for the salary+benefit regarding the work.

So,the tentative for my work is to deal with Royal Air Force military equipment like jet engine,fighter jet & system,& thing like that.Unlike most of the request he wanted me to make it as detail as possible due to the fact that my design would be integrated to the air force's simulator system,software evaluation for arms upgrading work & maintainence.It would goes under my contract of 1 year++ if accepted.

Since the nature of the project that definitely would be complex & "tight",I cant going for low wage this time around.So based on my previous salary with SG archviz company(part-time only,RM5K for all my work on viz+post production rendering+creative department each month) so I expected my salary would be around for RM8K-RM10.5K as a recommendation from the person that introduced me to the mentioned company with job.

Since I work with confidential subject,I cant specify what I would be modeling,but here the sample of what I need to do.(This sample is from my own work portfolio.)

& to be honest I didnt have any degree paper except my own experiences of self-learning & passion(I love 3d visualization,& anything that deal with mechatronic,chassis,engine & aerospace-related stuff)

I do however have a diploma in Industrial Design,but only finished foundation class & first year term before I quitted the college & get to work instead.... blink.gif
be confident with yourself. If you think your works worth that price. Just say it out.

to be honest. I think you do worth the salary 8k++. You works is amazing and very detail. Also not everyone can do stuff like you. You have a lot knowledge in machines.
rae0724
post Nov 2 2012, 12:59 PM

On my way
681 posts

a little question..
small design studio better or big design firm better for work?
i mean the environment and salary part?
Pressao
post Nov 5 2012, 03:55 PM

34 posts

Job Desciption : Graphic Design & Photo Manipulation
Years spent in company : 2
Company : Media Agency
Industry : Media / Communications
Employment Level : Exec
Experience before joining : 3 months in an internship and a few months in non design related jobs.
Salary : RM 2.5k

Pretty blah, but it's alright for me for now. I do hope that in a year at least it'd be increased to 3. Fingers crossed
agraphicpoint
post Nov 5 2012, 04:26 PM

36 posts

go freelance and make your own company.learn how to do business. you can get more..trust me.. smile.gif
kento
post Nov 7 2012, 10:07 PM

The Ronin
640 posts

another thing is depend on ur location too, salary in KL/Selangor is not same range with let sayyMelaka, N9, Kelantan, Pahang etc... lucky u guys in KL/Sel haha

21 Pages < 1 2 3 4 > » Top

Change to:
| Lo-Fi Version
0.0276sec    0.38    5 queries    GZIP Disabled
Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 09:31 PM