Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

RSS feedBump TopicReply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

Outline · [ Standard ] · Linear+

> liquor license in malaysia, how to get a liquor license in malaysia

hijohnny
post Jun 28 2012, 06:06 AM

Group: Junior Member

hi guys,

I have a plan to setup a restaurant/cafe (something like overtime) type of business which provides foods, beverages and alcohol of all types (beer, whisky etc..)

may I know what kind of licenses I need to start operating? like SSM, Majlis etc..
and I understand that bottle/can beer doesn't need any special licenses.. but what about hard liquor?

thanks alot for the help..

User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
gomadas
post Jun 28 2012, 07:42 AM

QUOTE(hijohnny @ Jun 28 2012, 06:06 AM)
hi guys,

I have a plan to setup a restaurant/cafe (something like overtime) type of business which provides foods, beverages and alcohol of all types (beer, whisky etc..)

may I know what kind of licenses I need to start operating? like SSM, Majlis etc..
and I understand that bottle/can beer doesn't need any special licenses.. but what about hard liquor?

thanks alot for the help..
Depending on which local authority you fall under and your business specifics, you will want to apply for a liquor license with the authorities for alcohol sales. As you are a restaurant/cafe selling and serving alcohol, you will be looking at a Public House license. For the Google fanatics, "Excise Act 1976" and "Section 35".

Since you are serving alcohol, it does not matter whether it's beer or otherwise, you still fall under the jurisdiction. The hours will determine what class, and extensions can be made if your operating hours exceed the classes set forth by your town council. You will go through the district office, police, fire brigade and customs as part of certification procedure.

You will also need to apply for a premise license, signboard license (plus another license for outdoor signboard if you are opting for highway billboards), and various other town council approvals for building CF, conversion for land/residential, promotional permits.

Business/company registration will apply and trademark registration for logo may apply.

Look into the entertainment license. In the area of music, if you are playing sound recordings and music videos, you will be looking at MACP, PRISM, PPM, and RDM licenses.

As you are in the food and beverage industry, there will also be a service tax license if your annual turnover exceeds 3m.

This post has been edited by gomadas: Jun 28 2012, 08:40 AM
+Quote Post
hijohnny
post Jun 28 2012, 04:38 PM

QUOTE(gomadas @ Jun 28 2012, 07:42 AM)
Depending on which local authority you fall under and your business specifics, you will want to apply for a liquor license with the authorities for alcohol sales. As you are a restaurant/cafe selling and serving alcohol, you will be looking at a Public House license. For the Google fanatics, "Excise Act 1976" and "Section 35".

Since you are serving alcohol, it does not matter whether it's beer or otherwise, you still fall under the jurisdiction. The hours will determine what class, and extensions can be made if your operating hours exceed the classes set forth by your town council. You will go through the district office, police, fire brigade and customs as part of certification procedure.

You will also need to apply for a premise license, signboard license (plus another license for outdoor signboard if you are opting for highway billboards), and various other town council approvals for building CF, conversion for land/residential, promotional permits.

Business/company registration will apply and trademark registration for logo may apply.

Look into the entertainment license. In the area of music, if you are playing sound recordings and music videos, you will be looking at MACP, PRISM, PPM, and RDM licenses.

As you are in the food and beverage industry, there will also be a service tax license if your annual turnover exceeds 3m.
Hi bro,

thanks for ur help..
if I open exactly like overtime.. what licenses do I need? premise license, signboard license and approvals for all related departments..
what about entertainment license? and music? do I really need them?

so, for the liqour liscense I will need to go to my town council, police station, fire bridage, custom, hospital etc.. for all the approvals?

Thanks lot!

+Quote Post
gomadas
post Jun 29 2012, 01:27 PM

QUOTE(hijohnny @ Jun 28 2012, 04:38 PM)
Hi bro,

thanks for ur help..
if I open exactly like overtime.. what licenses do I need? premise license, signboard license and approvals for all related departments..

so, for the liqour liscense I will need to go to my town council, police station, fire bridage, custom, hospital etc.. for all the approvals?

Thanks lot!

If you are opening a pub/cafe, you will need an entertainment license. Otherwise you will be liable for a minimum fine of 10k up to 50k. What happens is when you apply for the entertainment and liquor license, your local municipal officers will come for annual evaluations and conduct an inspection of your premises prior to issuance/renewal so the process is same either way.

Starting from the simplest proposition, if the nature of business is a wine shop and the shareholders are Malaysians, then licensing compliance would not have to deal with entertainment or music and the rest of the license procedure is similar to above post. For instance, Overtime has instrumental music and live band performances so again this comes under jurisdiction of entertainment license, even if one is not opening a pub. Added to that are the usual royalties and licenses required for music-related live performance and broadcast. An illegal song played will be liable for a minimum fine of 2k up to 20k so multiply that by the number of illegal songs played at a public premise.

The licenses aren't the most challenging part of the process. Making profit is naturally your primary concern. If you're starting from the drawing board, your ROI period will extend longer on the basis of a 3/5th gross profit margin, after subtracting costs and wages, we are typically looking at 10-20% annualised returns. So, going in for the long haul would necessitate full and proper compliance to avoid premature losses.

For the liquor application, you would need to advertise in two Malay and English newspapers for two days after which you will go through procedural matters among which would include an interview with the police and customs.

The composite or premise and signboard license will entail the CF, fire brigade which incidentally you will have to apply for a Fire Certificate for compliance with fire fighting requirements. The devil is in the details. For instance DBKL (if you fall under this jurisdiction) requires that wifi be compulsorily served for restaurants larger than 120 sqm two months earlier this year.
+Quote Post
Oldskolboyz
post Jun 29 2012, 02:57 PM

On my way
Group: Senior Member

QUOTE(hijohnny @ Jun 28 2012, 04:38 PM)
Hi bro,

thanks for ur help..

Thanks lot!

Liquor license under business license & got a couples of category..

1) Restaurant - Cafe, Bar & etc
2) Entertainment - Club, Disco & etc (some place has been freeze for long time edi)
3) Trading - Retail Shop, Supplier & etc..
+Quote Post
convert girl
post Sep 29 2012, 06:08 PM

There are few licenses you will need to appy to open an establishments like overtime:

First of all, you will need to form a company. Get a company secretary for this. After that you should go to SSM to register your business. After you obtain those documents, you can proceed in applying:

1. business license : you should apply to the local municipal office like DBKL or MPPJ
to get the business license you will need to have your employees (or yourself) vaccinated with Thypoid injection, rental agreements, etc

2. Signboard license
Provide the dimension and pictures of your signboard

3. Music License
This establishments will definitely play music in its premise. You need to get license from MACP and PPM to be able to play music in your premise.

Opening an establishment like cafe will require more efforts and considerations than just licenses.

In F&B industry, finding and retaining good employees are one of the most challenging parts. Most of restaurants hire foreign workers at the end. Foreign workers are easier to retain but will add to costlier staff expenses because of the levies paid to immigration.

For more information on opening a restaurant in malaysia, you can visit www.startmyrestaurant.com.my

Good Luck..

+Quote Post
chingfui
post Oct 25 2012, 09:21 AM

Getting Started

How to apply license for liquor trading?
+Quote Post
lck*G9
post Oct 25 2012, 09:37 AM

Look at all my stars!!
Group: Senior Member

dont need to apply... go buy over any overtime business now...
+Quote Post

Bump TopicReply to this topicTopic OptionsStart new topic

Switch to:
| Lo-Fi Version
0.0629sec    1.69    5 queries    GZIP Disabled
Time is now: 23rd April 2014 - 08:08 PM