Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Please provide proper description when you report a post. Report button abuse will earn you an automatic warn + suspension.

RSS feedBump TopicReply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

Outline · [ Standard ] · Linear+

> Divorce procedures in Malaysia (non-Muslim), FYI

joe_mamak
post Aug 10 2011, 12:49 PM

Casual
Group: Junior Member

http://www.ehomemakers.net/en/article.php?id=122

SINGLE AGAIN: Civil Law

Divorce Under The Civil Law For Non-Muslims

"Either a man or a woman can initiate divorce under the Law Reform (Marriage and Divorce) Act 1976."

Certain conditions must be fulfilled before applying for a divorce:

Both parties must have been living, and will continue to live in Malaysia;

Both parties must be married for at least two years;

The marriage must be registered, or considered to be registered, under the Law Reform (Marriage and Divorce) Act 1976.

There are two types of divorce: contested and mutual consent divorce.

Contested Divorce

Is where one party files for divorce because the marriage has irretrievably broken down, without the agreement of the other party.

This type of divorce is tedious, lengthy and costly.

To prove marriage has ‘irretrievable broken down’, must show one of the following:

Adultery was committed by your spouse,

Both parties have been separated for two years or more

You have been deserted by your spouse for two years or more

Your spouse behaved in such a way that makes it impossible for you to live with him.

Marriage Tribunal or Conciliatory Body:

In a contested divorce, you must obtain a Certificate from a Marriage Tribunal or Conciliatory Body before filing for divorce.

In order to obtain this Certificate, you and your husband must attend counselling sessions at the Marriage Tribunal or Conciliatory Body first.

You can obtain a form to refer your marriage to the Tribunal or Conciliatory Body from the Marriage Tribunal itself.

After you fill this form and hand it in, letters will be sent to you and your husband asking you both to come to the Marriage Tribunal or Conciliatory Body for counseling.

If the Tribunal or Conciliatory Body cannot reconcile the two of you within three to six months, a Certificate will be issued.

Mutual Consent Divorce

Where both parties mutually agree to divorce.

All terms relating to custody of children, access to children, maintenance and division of the matrimonial property must also be mutually agreed upon.

Both parties will file a joint petition in court.

There is no need to obtain a Certificate from a Marriage Tribunal or Conciliatory Body.

This type of divorce is faster and cheaper.

Divorce Procedure

Generally, you will have to file your divorce application or petition in court first.

In a contested divorce, after filing your divorce petition you will have to follow certain procedures before proceeding to the next stage.

The court will then fix a hearing date to hear your case. You and your husband have to be present at this hearing.

At the end of your case, the court will grant a ‘Decree Nisi’. This tells you your divorce is almost complete.

The Decree Nisi will not have an effect until after three months. At the end of the three months, the Decree Nisi will be made absolute (Decree Nisi Made Absolute) and you will be legally divorced.

Time And Costs

It is difficult to ascertain exact time and costs involved in a divorce. Only a rough estimate can be given.

Contested divorces: On average it takes a minimum of one year, and may cost a minimum of RM5,000. It could even go up to RM50,000.

Mutual Consent Divorces: On average it takes three to six months, and may cost between RM3.000 to RM5,000.

Judicial Separation

If you do not wish to divorce, but want to live separately from your husband, you can opt for a separation.

You can ask a lawyer to draw up a private agreement between you and your husband called a Deed of Separation. All terms relating to child custody, access to children, maintenance and division of matrimonial property should also be agreed upon.

Or apply to the court for a Decree of Judicial Separation. All conditions prior to applying for a divorce are also applicable in a Judicial Separation.

Nullity

You can apply for your marriage to be declared a nullity if your marriage is void or voidable. The court will grant you a Decree of Nullity, meaning your marriage will be annulled.

A void marriage is one which is considered never to have existed in the first place. Your marriage will be void if it falls under certain circumstances.

A voidable marriage is one which is considered to have existed, but after the Decree of Nullity is granted it will no longer exist. Your marriage will be voidable if it falls under certain circumstances.

It is up to the court to decide whether children born in a void marriage are legitimate or not. Children born in a voidable marriage are considered legitimate under the law.

----------------------------------------------------------

http://www.mylawyer.com.my/article/divorce.html

Divorce

In Malaysia, there are two types of divorce of marriage for non-Muslims:
1) divorce by mutual consent, i.e. both parties agree to the divorce
2) divorce without mutual consent

DIVORCE BY MUTUAL CONSENT (JOINT PETITION)

Both parties to the marriage can jointly file a divorce where they can mutually agree to divorce. To be eligible for the application, the couples must have been married for at least two (2) years at the time the petition for divorce is filed, unless approved by the court. By a joint petition, both parties can freely decide to the maintenance for wife & children, custody and care of the children, division of matrimonial assets.

DIVORCE WITHOUT MUTUAL CONSENT (UNILATERAL PETITION)

Either party to a marriage may file a petition to divorce without consent of the other party, on the ground that the marriage has broken down. The break down of the marriage can be grounded one of the reasons as follows:

1) that the other party has committed adultery;
2) that the other party has behaved in such a way that it cannot reasonably be expected to live together;
3) that the other party has deserted for a continuous period of at least 2 years; OR
4) that the parties to the marriage have lived apart for a continuous period of at least 2 years.

WHO HAS THE RIGHT OVER THE CUSTODY OF THE CHILDREN?

In a joint petition, both parties can mutually agree to propose any arrangement to the children.
In a single petition, either party can make application for the custodianship. The court will decide the custodianship after considering all factors including: 1) The welfare of the children 2) The wishes of the parents 3) The wishes of the child if the child is eligible to express an independent opinion.
There is a rebuttable presumption that the custodianship of a child below 7 years belongs to the mother. Kindly take note that this is a presumption which is rebuttable by the father.

WHO HAS THE RIGHT & INTEREST OVER MATRIMONIAL PROPERTY?

In a joint petition, both parties can mutually agree to propose any arrangement to divide or transfer the property.
In a single petition, either party can make application for the division of matrimonial property. If the property is acquired by the sole effort of the party, the court may divide the property as the court thinks reasonable. The party upon whose effort the assets were acquired will receive a greater proportion. If the property is acquired by joint effort, the court may divide the property as the court thinks reasonable after considering factors like the extent of the contributions made by each party.

HOW LONG DOES IT TAKE TO FOR A DIVORCE MATTER TO BE COMPLETED?

The actual time needed for may vary in each and every single case depending on the following factors: 1. The date of hearing granted by the court ( whether its early or late ) 2. The complexity of the case 3. The Time needed for both parties to reach a settlement ( for joint petition's case)
Generally, a joint petition divorce matter takes 6 to 9 months to be completed while a unilateral petition divorce (without mutual consent) matter takes more time to be completed. The divorce matter could take more time if it is contested.

HOW MUCH IS THE LEGAL FEES?

Generally, a joint petition's legal fee is cheaper than a single petition's ( without mutual consent ). The legal fee chargeable varies from one case to another depending on the following factors:

1) The complexity of the case as it affect the amount of time & skill a lawyer need to spend;
2) The complexity of the Petition's Content ( i.e. The complexity of the Divorce Arrangement & Settlement)
3) Whether the divorce petition is contested. Legal fee for contested matter is generally higher than uncontested matter.

WHO SHOULD BEAR THE LEGAL FEE? HUSBAND/ WIFE?

For joint petition matter, there are two choices: 1) Either party pay for the whole legal fee 2) Both parties share the legal fee in a proportion that is mutually agreed
For single petition matter, each party has to bear their own legal fee generally.

WHAT ARE THE DOCUMENTS NEEDED FOR JOINT PETITION TO DIVORCE?

Kindly download the checklist here.

WHAT IS THE BRIEF & GENERAL PROCEDURE FOR JOINT PETITION TO DIVORCE?

1) Consult a lawyer.
2) With lawyer's advice, discuss and make settlement with your spouse for the arrangement of children, property & maintenance (if any).
3) Sign the divorce petition and related documents prepared by your lawyer.
4) Wait for the hearing date after the filing of your application in the High Court.
5) Attend the hearing with your lawyer ( if you or your spouse cannot attend the hearing, kindly refer to your lawyer for solutions )
6) Obtain divorce certificate at least three months after a divorce order is granted by the judge.

DO YOU NEED A DIVORCE LAWYER?

Contact Our Panel Lawyers / The Author of this Article.

Other FAQs:

Q: Can I file for divorce within 2 years of my marriage?
A: Yes. It's possible.

Q: Do I need to separate with my spouse for 2 years before a divorce can be filed?
A: No, not necessary.

Q: Do I get 'automatic' divorce when I have separated with my spouse for more than 2 years?
A: No. You will still need to apply for the divorce in court.

Q: Can I get a divorce by applying from JPN ( Jabatan Pendaftaran Negara) without engaging a lawyer?
A: No.

Q: My spouse refuse to divorce, can I still file for divorce?
A: Yes.

Q: My spouse refuse to sign any divorce document, can I still file for divorce?

Q: I have lost the contact of my spouse, can I still file for divorce?

Q: I am a foreigner in Malaysia who had registered my marriage overseas, can I file for a divorce here?
A: Yes, if you are residing in Malaysia.

Q: I am a Malaysian who is residing overseas now, can I file for a divorce in Malaysia?
A: Yes, you can sign the divorce documents overseas, and engage a lawyer to file your divorce in Malaysia.

Q: I am a Malaysian who had registered my marriage in Malaysia and had obtained divorce certificate from overseas, is my divorce certificate recognized in Malaysia?
A: No. Oversea's divorce certificate is not recognized in Malaysia. You need to engage a lawyer to EITHER:
1) Apply for local court's declaration to recognize your oversea's divorce certificate, OR
2) Apply for a fresh divorce petition in Malaysia.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Deimos Tel`Arin
post Aug 10 2011, 12:54 PM

The LYN Kondom Man
Group: Senior Member

thanks joe_mamak for sharing!
User is online!Profile CardPM
+Quote Post
dreamsky999
post Aug 10 2011, 12:55 PM

Getting Started

nais info..
+ rep tongue.gif
+Quote Post
Deimos Tel`Arin
post Aug 10 2011, 01:01 PM

The LYN Kondom Man

also, in todays thestar:

http://www.thestar.com.my/news/story.asp?f...2337&sec=nation

Divorce rate on the rise
By ISABELLE LAI
isabellelai@thestar.com.my

KUALA LUMPUR: The divorce rate among non-Muslims has escalated by a whopping 169% from 2009 to 2010, with a lack of mutual understanding being the main cause.

Deputy Women, Family and Community Development Minister Heng Seai Kie, who revealed this, said that according to a National Population and Family Development Board survey, 41.8% of couples cited this as their reason for divorce.

This was followed by a lack of responsibility (11.4%), interference from in-laws (8.7%), drug addiction (6.5%), infidelity (6.5%) and others.

National Registration Department statistics showed that 7,900 divorce cases were filed last year compared to 2,938 in 2009.

Heng said this was a grave concern that had led the ministry to consider making its pre-wedding education course, dubbed the Smart Start programme, compulsory for engaged non-Muslim couples.

“Our role is to strengthen the family institution. It is also very worrying that couples filing for divorce have been getting younger and younger,” she said yesterday.

She said the ministry had organised a total of 361 Smart Start programmes throughout Malaysia from August 2006 to December last year for a total of 12,429 participants.

Heng said they had received many requests from all races to make the three-day course compulsory.

“This way, both sexes will attend the course. If a couple has intentions to get married, there is no reason for them not to attend,” she said, adding that it would cost RM50 per person to purchase course materials.

The course includes modules on communication, roles and responsibilities of husband and wife. It can be conducted in the participants' preferred language of English, Bahasa Malaysia, Mandarin or Tamil.

However, Heng stressed that the ministry would consult all relevant parties first before making such a decision.

She said she would meet religious heads, including representatives from the Malaysian Consultative Council on Buddhism, Christianity, Hinduism, Sikhism and Taoism to receive their input on the issue.
RM50 per course.
i think they found new way to make moneh di.

+Quote Post
kuchi
post Aug 10 2011, 01:06 PM

Group: New Member

Hypothetical question?

Imagine getting divorce tommorrow, I wonder if waifu will let you pancut dalam uncovered for one final time for old time's sake?

This post has been edited by kuchi: Aug 10 2011, 01:06 PM
+Quote Post
Rachel.Heart
post Aug 10 2011, 01:11 PM

QUOTE(kuchi @ Aug 10 2011, 01:06 PM)
Hypothetical question?

Imagine getting divorce tommorrow, I wonder if waifu will let you pancut dalam uncovered for one final time for old time's sake?
Depends on the basis of divorce. Messy ones where cheating, beating or fighting is involved. Definitely NO.

If mutual due to lack of interest. Probably. Depending on person.

+Quote Post
happy4ever
post Aug 10 2011, 01:14 PM

(✿◠‿◠) Queen of Love ⎝⏠⏝⏠⎠

2009 to 2010 = 169% increase in non-muslim divorces, 40%++ citing irreconcilable differences

thats why dont simply jump in.

This post has been edited by happy4ever: Aug 10 2011, 01:15 PM
+Quote Post
billytong
post Aug 10 2011, 04:24 PM

Lord Sauron

There is a rebuttable presumption that the custodianship of a child below 7 years belongs to the mother. Kindly take note that this is a presumption which is rebuttable by the father.
So man are basically Screwed if their wife is "okish"(as long she as does not suck), despite the man is superior in every aspect?

Welcome to Gender equality........
+Quote Post
wah chai
post Sep 28 2011, 05:19 AM

On my way

wah! divorce need rm3-5k. so expensive
+Quote Post
Polaris
post Sep 28 2011, 06:06 AM

Trust Fund Baby

Where's that RM400mil divorce case
+Quote Post
Darkcity212
post Dec 20 2011, 01:47 PM

Getting Started

ohmy.gif hmm.gif whistling.gif cool.gif

This post has been edited by Darkcity212: Dec 21 2011, 09:59 PM
+Quote Post
Uzumaki NaruTo
post Dec 20 2011, 01:51 PM

oro?

mana bearprick? Last time he looking for a divorce attorney,
+Quote Post
flowerhorn
post Jan 23 2012, 12:41 AM

Getting Started

Where can i get more info to annull a marriage?
+Quote Post
Ovatech
post Mar 5 2012, 08:57 AM

hmmm...forum stop here.. ? wish get sharinf info herer... sad.gif

+Quote Post
fantasy1989
post Mar 5 2012, 09:01 AM

Nokia Agent

wall of text ...tonight go back only see
+Quote Post
Hidan
post Mar 5 2012, 09:05 AM

Casual

joe_mamak sudah kahwin edi?
+Quote Post
kira_mha
post Mar 5 2012, 09:06 AM

Getting Started

QUOTE(Polaris @ Sep 28 2011, 06:06 AM)
Where's that RM400mil divorce case
this case shariah court can't handle
+Quote Post
Ovatech
post Mar 5 2012, 09:15 AM

..wife declare to divorce...since 2 yrs ago..but till now still no action from her to open files...what should i do????
we've 1 kid ...2 yrs old...and he doesn't know who is his daddy now..as we nvr meet for last 6 mths ago...

+Quote Post
DarkNite
post Mar 5 2012, 09:18 AM

ФĻĐ ИΞШB!Ξ

Sent sms to divorce is easier & cheaper!
+Quote Post
Ovatech
post Mar 5 2012, 09:29 AM

..consider legal?
the point is...she is the one who want it...yet..want me to files first???
if i'm the one who open file first...means im the one who initiate..so she can claim everthings from me...huhu???
+Quote Post
Darkcity212
post Jun 20 2012, 03:44 AM

Getting Started

QUOTE(DarkNite @ Mar 5 2012, 09:18 AM)
how is that possible?
+Quote Post
Kubera
post Nov 26 2012, 03:33 PM

Thank you, joe_mamak!

This post has been edited by Kubera: Nov 28 2012, 10:37 AM
+Quote Post
bikerinside
post Dec 2 2012, 09:39 PM

QUOTE(DarkNite @ Mar 5 2012, 09:18 AM)
like this also can??? hmm.gif hmm.gif hmm.gif
+Quote Post
Darkcity212
post Apr 1 2013, 01:25 PM

Getting Started

Just a quick question.if the wife has hired a lawyer and the husband refuse to divorce or even attend...what punishment the court has to offer???
+Quote Post
BallCracker
post Apr 1 2013, 04:02 PM

tldr....anyway thanks....nice info for future "incase"~
+Quote Post
santaclaus
post Jun 12 2013, 02:06 PM

Getting Started

an any1 enlighten me. after divorce hafta pay child maintainance i can understand. but y wife maintainance?

and about assets , if the husband bought the houses + cars , the wife tak keluar pun wang. y when divorce kena bagi 1/2 kat dia?

realli cant understand apa law ini?

This post has been edited by santaclaus: Jun 12 2013, 02:07 PM
+Quote Post
SniperUnit
post Jun 12 2013, 02:13 PM

Getting Started

QUOTE(kuchi @ Aug 10 2011, 01:06 PM)
Hypothetical question?

Hahaha..... if accident how?? brows.gif
+Quote Post
LamboSama
post Jun 12 2013, 02:20 PM

Getting Started

QUOTE(santaclaus @ Jun 12 2013, 02:06 PM)
an any1 enlighten me. after divorce hafta pay child maintainance i can understand. but y wife maintainance?

and about assets , if the husband bought the houses + cars , the wife tak keluar pun wang. y when divorce kena bagi 1/2 kat dia?

if she earns more than you, and she bought the assets. you could also get half and alimony.
+Quote Post
PVCpipe
post Jun 12 2013, 02:23 PM

custom made

unker want to file divorce izzit?
+Quote Post
ticke
post Jun 12 2013, 02:39 PM

****E***y*u***i***@**

TS planning for one ka?
+Quote Post
Bourke
post Jun 20 2013, 07:01 PM

QUOTE(LamboSama @ Jun 12 2013, 02:20 PM)
if she earns more than you, and she bought the assets. you could also get half and alimony.
Are you sure if the "she" earns more and the "he" can get alimony from her? Well, I don't think so unless the "he" is OKU or has mental illness.
+Quote Post
joe_star
post Jun 20 2013, 07:17 PM

Serving the Servants

QUOTE(billytong @ Aug 10 2011, 04:24 PM)
So man are basically Screwed if their wife is "okish"(as long she as does not suck), despite the man is superior in every aspect?

Welcome to Gender equality........
Nah its actually more than that. The woman just has to ask for custody & it will usually be given, no questions asked. Father only gets custody in cases where woman dissapears, actually refuses custody or is in prison etc etc
+Quote Post
xleft4dexy
post Sep 6 2013, 01:27 PM

Hmm what if I buy a house under my name and buy another house under my name and her name, so how would decision will be made on who get what?

Can agreement be reached like, I take one and she take one?
+Quote Post
NSR
post Oct 15 2013, 02:52 AM

Casual

It will be very sad if divorce, especially those who have children. sad.gif
+Quote Post
mycolumn
post Oct 15 2013, 09:44 AM

Casual

This is so sad. sad.gif
+Quote Post
joochian
post Jan 29 2014, 03:26 PM

Has anyone done a mutual consent divorce ?
how much does it cost ?

Please recommend the lawyer....
+Quote Post
md11
post Jan 29 2014, 03:58 PM

QUOTE(PVCpipe @ Jun 12 2013, 02:23 PM)
unker want to file divorce izzit?
Ditto...

So will unker get 1 last chance to tembak dalam for old times sake?!!
+Quote Post
aga1000
post Mar 8 2014, 06:35 AM

This states that both need to stay in malaysia. What happens if one is not a Malaysian resident and does not have any other family in Malaysia and wants to leave to go back to country of birth? What happens if there are children involved and it is not a mutual divorce?
+Quote Post
FindingGamerWife
post Mar 8 2014, 07:05 AM

QUOTE(santaclaus @ Jun 12 2013, 02:06 PM)

Well, its always men who proposes, seduces and forces a women into marriage. Hence take responsibility already.

If you know how to chase, then know how to take responsibility.

By law, after a divorce, both sides must be able to maintain a lifestyle before divorce. Hence, money must be divided such that both sides maintains it.

If you are not ready for responsibility, stay single for life. simple.

This post has been edited by FindingGamerWife: Mar 8 2014, 07:06 AM
+Quote Post

Bump TopicReply to this topicTopic OptionsStart new topic

Switch to:
| Lo-Fi Version
0.0969sec    1.57    5 queries    GZIP Disabled
Time is now: 17th April 2014 - 12:05 AM