Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Outline · [ Standard ] · Linear+

US and UK TV Series: New Series /Season Review, For new airing only

views

r2t2
post Apr 20 2012, 09:49 AM

Getting Started
155 posts

QUOTE(digitalcoconut @ Apr 16 2012, 10:01 AM)
The Borgias S2 continuation from the first season. an OK start. the Pope re -establish his power, successfully neutralize his enemy and traitor in Rome, having 3some, etc..
Dont Trust The b**** In Apartment 23 i believe its funny, but not my kind of show.. will drop it..
The Borgias ... the cannons standoff episode ... would've like the director to up the tension ala The Rock's prison bathroom scene, but not bad overall.

Don't Trust the B1tch in Apartment 23; seems relatively high budgeted for a sitcom (the initial chaos in the workplace, more outdoor scenes), maybe for the pilot episode. Fast paced. Like the James Van Der Beek post-Dawson Creek persona (trying a comeback career), reminds me of Neil Patrick Harris' 'player' character from Harold & Kumar movies (altho not as 'legendary' as Barney, so far). Gonna try continue to watch, hoping the comedy will be more consistent than 2 Broke Girls or New Girl. (Although the latest New Girl episode, Kids, is quite hilarious).

QUOTE(xy2610 @ Apr 18 2012, 12:36 PM)
Girls
It is quite entertaining overall, mostly because of the way the main character, Hannah, dealing with her predicaments...Too bad, it's only 30 minutes per episode.
Due to its time limit, most of the characters cannot be fleshed out yet.
But Hannah is somewhat likeable. I like her mean mother too.
Her struggle to get a paid job is painstakingly realistic while the indecisiveness of the other girl, Marnie, to get out of her relationship is a bit annoying though. That might be a good start for this girl to grow.
Anyway, I will stick around to see these girls grown up.
And it is nothing like Sex and the City, at least for now, although it was briefly mentioned.
QUOTE(dundermifflin @ Apr 20 2012, 07:20 AM)
i thought it was OK-ish.. im not not fancy this kind of girl-ish drama.. 30min are too fecking short for drama.. i'll try another 2 episodes before drop it, or not..
HBO trying to find another hit 'chick' series. I wouldn't categorize this as drama, yet, but it isn't as light-hearted as SatC. If Girls maintain its realistic, not-trying-to-be-funny-but-it-is-a-bit; yeah, there are plenty of rooms for the girl characters to grow. Yuppies who just graduated and starting to work in big cities might like this coz they could relate to the main character.

r2t2
post Apr 26 2012, 03:12 PM

Getting Started
155 posts

QUOTE(Mac Man @ LYF @ Apr 26 2012, 11:27 AM)
Haiz, just saw in FB, House M.D. ending in 2 episodes. Rumours are that the show budget is too high & rating drop after Cuddy left last season.
Ar, gonna miss my favourite Dr.
Old news, no? Anyway, rumours?
I thought the writers have exhausted what they could do within that hospital; House been to shrink, prison, coupled, almost died (few times), staffs changed, etc. ....
High budget, maybe for several episodes, but other FOX series got even higher production budget e.g. Terra Nova (cancelled already), The X Factor, etc.; altho, in consideration that it has been thru 8 seasons, ratings of course would drop (American Idol anyone still watching?) n I guess FOX executives couldn't justify the primetime budget (mostly salary?). Did read tho when the production team were in negotiation with FOX executives, if FOX don't wanna renew with same budget; they might bring the show to another network. But in the end, their official statement was that the production team decided to stop.

http://tvline.com/2012/02/08/house-fox-ending-may-2012-2/
» Click to show Spoiler - click again to hide... «

Btw,

PLAY A PART IN HOUSE'S FINAL CHAPTER!

r2t2
post Jun 5 2012, 04:22 AM

Getting Started
155 posts

QUOTE(Reimao @ Jun 4 2012, 10:11 PM)
Community
Anyone watch this series? Currently waiting for Season4. Its by far one of the better comedy series out there. Better than BBT i might add.
QUOTE(EightPhantomz @ Jun 5 2012, 03:28 AM)
Cant really compare those two as BBT is a sitcom.
Isn't Community a sitcom as well? What's the difference between sitcom and comedy series?
Anyway, only watched few episodes of 1st Season so far. Love La Biblioteca rap at the end of S1E02 ...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sitcom
r2t2
post Jun 22 2012, 12:31 AM

Getting Started
155 posts

Yay, Futurama Season 7 is back.
The writings still are witty, so far...

Got binary sperms in Episode 1, Bender became a father (a wee bit late for Father's Day tho), and I chuckled at the lines:- "There's a dam." "Damn!" "That's a grate." "Great!"

Episode 2, a parody of the Day After Tomorrow & 2012 film with a 'Mayan' calendar.
r2t2
post Jul 1 2012, 10:32 PM

Getting Started
155 posts

QUOTE(EightPhantomz @ Jun 28 2012, 07:27 PM)
Just get to see The Newsroom last night. Loving it! Even the missus loves it.
Big words. Fast talks. Charismatic ppl. And using factual stories to its good use; so everybody can relate to it. Hope they can maintain it.
QUOTE(ibnuasad @ Jun 28 2012, 11:50 PM)
Newsroom, the first 10 minutes convinced me to keep watching smile.gif
QUOTE(dundermifflin @ Jul 1 2012, 07:31 AM)
The Newsroom
yeah, the first scenes (forum with students) are awesome.
this is my kind of series. love it, so far.. the dialogs are great.
HBO series rarely disappoint me..
I wasn't sure I got time to follow another TV series (Suits Season 2, Futurama Season 7, True Blood Season 5, etc. keeping me ok for now until return of other series); somemore with Metacritic 57 metascore, hmmm ... but you guys are giving good brief reviews, and I like The Social Network (tho I don't follow The West Wing), so I decided to give it a go ... boy, I was entertained. Yeah, I like this type of rapid-fire dialogues shows, with grounding in real events. Good casting; Jeff Daniels, altho he does act in more serious works, I'll always gonna remember him as the other half of Jim Carrey in Dumb & Dumber, he managed to do what Jim Carrey hasn't, i.e. breaking that comedic type-cast and taken seriously in dramatic roles; Dav Patel ("Punjab!" I chuckled at that line), co-incidentally just watched him in (no, not Slumdog Millionare) The Last Airbender movie, haha ... finally forced myself to watch that coz I was actually following The Legend of Korra now (not bad, got a bit of human rights aspects in a kids show) coz I didn't watch Avatar:The Last Airbender series before; nice chemistry between the characters Will & MacKenzie; going to expect more conflicts between Jim and Don; wasn't convinced about Ellen, err, Maggie and Charlie characters ... maybe the actress/actor are meant to deliver them like that. We'll see if Aaron Sorkin really gonna make a less Jay Leno-both sides friendly-show, and make a stand on US political scene; in The West Wing, I guess he has to be pro-Democratic, now he's making Will McAvoy pro-Republican.

QUOTE(expl0it @ Jul 1 2012, 06:20 PM)
Has anyone tried Anger Management yet? Charlie Sheen's new tv-show. Feels a little like Two And A Half Men to be honest.
QUOTE(ibnuasad @ Jul 1 2012, 08:19 PM)
When I saw the first ep, I was like "OMG!! Are they using the same studio set as half men??"...lol
Just as long the jokes and the hot ladies are there, I'm all for Charlie  laugh.gif
Charlie Sheen is a long way from his Dad, Martin Sheen (The West Wing ... again), in making meaningful shows, but for entertainment purpose, yeah .. his antics on-screen and off-screen is good for a sitcom. I enjoyed his Comedy Central Roast of Charlie Sheen (hosted by Seth MacFarlane), but wasn't really following his Two and a Half Men stint; so, unless there are further rave reviews about his Anger Management series, gonna skip it for now ....
r2t2
post Jul 2 2012, 01:09 PM

Getting Started
155 posts

QUOTE(PhungTM @ Jul 2 2012, 11:37 AM)
Watched Newsroom and it was a great first episode. Hope it gets better, though i read from somewhere that it goes downhill from here  hmm.gif  lets hope it doesnt.
Another i picked up was Suits. Its really great, love the Mike-Rachel relationship, sarcastic/witty dialogues. Heck i watched the whole first season in 2 days.
Dropped Games of Thrones after 2 episodes. Too much for my taste. Fancy the boobs and sex but not to my liking.
Anyone have more series to recommend? Similar to the former two I mentioned?
Ya, let's hope The Newsroom doesn't slow down its pace.
Besides Suits, fast dialogues .... House M.D. was one of those kind of series with witty writings, but it ended already. Veep is from the director of "In the Loop" which is great for its political satire; but I didn't follow Veep, coz maybe it seems a bit too ad-lib for me, the characters seem incompetent (purposely). Boss (starring Kelsey Grammer as the mayor of Chicago) is of more dramatic ... (I only watched the first few episodes). There are others, previous or new series, which I read that is as witty as House (I'm still looking for a replacement series with character yet to match Greg House's sarcastic mind), but haven't got the time to try few episodes.

Since you're more interested in shows based on reality, it's understandable you don't fancy fantasy series such as Game of Thrones; but for me, it is one of the current best thoughtful TV shows, the conflicts between the numerous characters, the personal sacrifice for kingdom and others ... it's admittedly a bit slow pace at first, but the characters development is good, it made me cared what will happen to them. Too bad fans gotta wait roughly one year in between each season.
r2t2
post Jul 3 2012, 10:29 AM

Getting Started
155 posts

QUOTE(dundermifflin @ Jul 3 2012, 08:28 AM)
this my greatest hits, top 2 on going series..
Mad Men
s5 recently ended, will renew for s6 next year. drama, romance, family, advertising world in 1950-60s.. lots of sexual, adultery tension but no nudity, strong writing, magnificent dialogs, superb acting.
Breaking Bad
s5 will be air in fortnight. drama, crime, family.. an old, former chemistry teacher becoming a criminal. no nudity, strong writing, superb acting.

my top 2 new series..
Boss
s2 will be air later this year. politic, thriller, crime.. with nudity.
Homeland
s2 will be air later this year. politic, thriller, terrorism.. with nudity.
- Can't really get into Mad Men, although many do give rave reviews about the series; maybe coz the 60s setting, for me ... will still give it a go when got more free time.
- Breaking Bad is great ... but maybe a bit slow pace for some; for me, the built up tension leads to outrageous situations. A bit of nudity in one of episode in Season 1, iinm.

- Boss, still watching the 1st Season; dialogue less fast paced compared to The Newsroom and Suits, it uses more close-ups (facial expressions) and visual compositions (body language) to convey the drama.
- Homeland ... yeah, this HBO series is another one to follow ... finished Season 1 in one weekend (10 or 11 episodes only, the finale for Season 1 is heart-poundingly mesmerizing). Can't see the series going further more than few seasons like 24.

The Newsroom Episode 2 ... hmm ... seems less heavy than Episode 1 and more to antics, maybe to establish the characters more ... but still can't help but thinking, are Maggie and Charlie, and now even Mackenzie and to some extent Jim Harper characters over-acting?

This post has been edited by r2t2: Jul 5 2012, 11:11 PM
r2t2
post Jul 17 2012, 10:33 PM

Getting Started
155 posts

QUOTE(expl0it @ Jul 17 2012, 09:15 PM)
Has anyone checked out Political Animals yet? new show on the USA network starring Sigourney Weaver. Only 6 episodes I think.
Sounds interesting.
Synopsis:
Yeah, just watched. It's supposed to be a mini-series.

I can't compare with other previous or current shows which I think is similar in contents e.g. Commander-in-Chief (Geena Davis as the President) or Veep (Julia Louis-Dreyfus as the VP); coz I didn't follow them, but on it's own, so-so only; some parts intriguing, some part seems like soap opera. I'd prefer The Newsroom for US political drama, but since it's only 6 episodes, I'll follow through.

The title is Political Animals (Sigourney is back at tackling dramatic roles since her memorable roles in Gorillas in the Mist and Alien series; all are connected with 'animals' ... hmmm hmm.gif ), but more than half of 1st episode is about family domestic issues, or at least the 1st episode is; maybe to introduce the characters, I dunno.
Acting wise ... uneven ... some scenes, I cringed at the actors uttering the dialogues, other scenes ... obamanotbad.jpg ...

The 'funny' thing is .... if Hillary Clinton were to watch this, I wonder how much does she see herself in Sigourney Weaver's character. Although fictional, I can't help but compare both of their not dissimilar political life.
Oh, the 'President' of the United States from the series Heroes is back. wink.gif
r2t2
post Sep 11 2012, 10:46 PM

Getting Started
155 posts

QUOTE(dundermifflin @ Sep 10 2012, 07:05 AM)
Coma. any good?
looked like big file /an hour++ per episode. any opinion?
QUOTE(expl0it @ Sep 10 2012, 11:23 PM)
^Its average. I only watched it coz I read the book a while ago.
Yeah, an average medical thriller ... it's a two-parter only. The 1st part was quite intriguing for me, but the 2nd part wasn't. The latter spent too much time on hide-n-chase, not much on the medical aspect, coz maybe the coma mystery was mostly answered already by then, and they resorted to typical actions as climax...

I didn't read the book by Robin Cook; was drawn to this by the actors (Geena Davis, James Woods, Richard Dreyfuss ... but they aren't the main characters ... not a spoiler, I guess) and it's produced by Scott Free Productions (ya, it's dedicated to the memory of Tony Scott). Just starting to watch The Good Wife series, which was executive produced by them as well, but I think less hands-on.

By the way, just watched a nice 2-parter, for me ... A Touch of Cloth (2 episodes), a UK production; the thread is US TV series, but I see other UK series are being discussed here also coz no need to clutter the sub-forum with extra threads. Anyway, it's a parody of police TV series; I found the dialogues quite chucklingly funny (got self-grammar corrections, double entendres, clichés, misunderstood speech, etc.) ... even the camera work is loony at times (spinning around characters needlessly, characters walking in circles in police station coz they haven't finish their dialogues, etc. ). Nice for a laugh ... but not for people who can't stand nonsensical comedy (which reminds me Chow Sing Chi's earlier style). It's not slapstick. Starring John Hannah ... trying to keep a straight face while delivering those 'silly' lines.
r2t2
post Oct 9 2012, 09:11 PM

Getting Started
155 posts

So far for me, the Fall TV series worth following, those that made me silently shout after each episode (two so far) is about to end, "no, no .. more, more .. gotta wait till next week?" ...

Returning series :-
Homeland Season 2
Cut to the chase quickly this time ... tremblingly exciting.
The main plot reminds me of double-agents movies such as Infernal Affairs (The Departed) ... wanna be the good guy, not really a bad guy.

New series :-
Last Resort
I'm a sucker for submarines movies; Crimson Tide is one of my favs ... so, I'm delighted that this captured most of the tension. Plus the acting is not bad at all (the scene where the Captain and the Executive Officer sat down to talk about their boys) ... interesting enough characters.

Still following some others (didn't follow some famous series, so might left out really good ones too) ... but these two are worth highlighting.
r2t2
post Jan 18 2013, 09:04 PM

Getting Started
155 posts

Utopia (Channel 4, UK) ... Episode 1

Watched it without knowing what it is about ... not bad.
A bizzare thiller ... looking forward to the next episode.

r2t2
post Jan 23 2013, 12:05 AM

Getting Started
155 posts

The Following (2013, Fox) ... got its own thread, but will intro a bit here as well.

Feels like Silence of the Lambs / Hannibal / Red Dragon style ... antagonist in prison antagonising the protagonist in the field who are trying to stop killings. The main difference is ... err .. kinda spoiler for the pilot episode.

Will follow few more episodes and see how it goes. Hopefully the series won't be too predictable and is a short one (isn't those full network tv 20+ episodes).
Written by Kevin Williamson, the writer for the Scream movies.
Kevin Bacon in his first TV series work (might've appeared in tv movies or mini-series before).
r2t2
post May 20 2015, 08:10 PM

Getting Started
155 posts

Don't wanna create a thread just for the show ... couldn't find any existing thread for it.

But, who follow Brooklyn Nine-Nine here? I find the cast/crew chemistry getting better & better, each character got own unique personality ... except maybe Scully & Hitchcock. rolleyes.gif

r2t2
post Jun 29 2015, 04:11 PM

Getting Started
155 posts

QUOTE(dundermifflin @ Jun 29 2015, 10:59 AM)
Sense8 i was a bit clueless on e01 and e02. but its getting better afterward.
Co-written and directed by The Wachowskis Siblings, it reminds me of Cloud Atlas ... confusing at first, but overall the series is about the personal stories of each interconnected characters, not the mechanism of the special human species. After episode 5 only the story picked up the pace. I finished watching it last Saturday, following that only read the news about the historic US Supreme Court decision ... since the Wachowskis are passionate about the LGBT community and the Pride especially Lana; depending on the viewer, prepared to be either moved to tears or repulsed by some of the characters' struggles. Donna Bae, Wachowskis' regular, still cool and kicking ass. The African section/character, Chapeous, I thought was the weak link/story but evolved into one of the stories with the most action (due to 'Van Damme' inspiration laugh.gif ); in the end, each got his/her own usefulness and role to play.
r2t2
post Jun 29 2015, 04:33 PM

Getting Started
155 posts

Other new shows which I were curious about, and now have my attentions are:-

Jonathan Strange & Mr. Norrell - establishing respectable practical magic as profession in 19th-century England. Didn't delve too much into spell details and variations. Concentrating mainly on the bad aspect of summoning 'fairy'. Only 7 episodes, as per usual UK short series.

Mr. Robot - great pilot episode ... an introvert hacker wishing to change the world ... hopefully in the end the story isn't just imagined by him ... the main character did mention that while he's telling his story to us (viewers) as an imaginary friend, he's sure that he didn't create the events that's happening to him. Liked some of the inserted social commentaries.
r2t2
post Jan 24 2016, 12:56 AM

Getting Started
155 posts

QUOTE(8adele @ Jan 24 2016, 12:20 AM)
Angie Tribeca - a bit silly but watchable
Quite over the top silly biggrin.gif, ... pilot episode directed by Steve Carrell, his first?
... reminds me of A Touch of Cloth, UK series.
r2t2
post Jul 1 2016, 11:01 PM

Getting Started
155 posts

The Night Of, Episode 1, is nice for me ... basically a whodoneit investigative story (mini-series), might become a court drama ... shot and done in deliberately slow pace but not boring at all. Should be interesting for those who like New York setting.

user posted image

Braindead ... kinda funny for me. Exploiting the madness of election year in US and the recent political happenings between Democrats and Republicans. It's like a sci-fi/body-snatchers with US politics as background. Starring Mary Elizabeth Winstead (last seen in The Returned).

user posted image

r2t2
post Aug 31 2016, 12:18 PM

Getting Started
155 posts

QUOTE(enaleni @ Aug 31 2016, 01:42 AM)

QUOTE(6so @ Aug 31 2016, 09:51 AM)

I like the way a critic describing the show ... they really put the procedure in procedural show. Enjoy the detailed journey, not just the destination biggrin.gif

John Turturro's performance in the closing statement scene ... his best acting so far? (I don't really like his over-the-top style in Transformers movies). And to think the role is supposed to be for the late James Gandolfini.

This post has been edited by r2t2: Aug 31 2016, 12:19 PM
r2t2
post May 7 2018, 11:02 AM

Getting Started
155 posts

QUOTE(BettySanders @ May 6 2018, 08:27 PM)
I love the show game of thrones. This is the best series in my opinion. I've watched a lot of different shows, but this one is really cool. Does anyone agree with me?
How's your Dad, Bernie?

GoT ... so far, those I know who watched the series, it became their top favourite show.
r2t2
post Jul 11 2018, 04:43 PM

Getting Started
155 posts

QUOTE(greyshadow @ Jul 9 2018, 01:30 PM)
Sacred Games

A first Hindi Netflix original crime series, 8 episodes only for season one, but I've binge watching it whole night, fantastic story, great pace, engaging plot to make you wanna watch what's next
It's rare to see so much violence, nudity & touch on some of the taboo subjects in a Hindi show thumbup.gif
Passport Malaysia laugh.gif

2 Pages  1 2 >Top

Change to:
| Lo-Fi Version
0.0640sec    0.17    7 queries    GZIP Disabled
Time is now: 29th March 2024 - 09:41 AM