Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Bump Topic Topic Closed RSS Feed
27 Pages  1 2 3 > » Bottom

Outline · [ Standard ] · Linear+

Digital TV Station Malaysia, How do I tune to digital TV station?

views

joshhd
post Dec 11 2016, 02:45 AM

Look at all my stars!!
6,959 posts

Anyone here uses masthead amplifier (signal booster) to watch digital TV?
joshhd
post Dec 12 2016, 02:41 AM

Look at all my stars!!
6,959 posts

QUOTE(mztang52 @ Dec 11 2016, 07:11 AM)
Amplifier makes the signal even worse.
Is there anyone here having difficulties in low signal to receive digital TV signals (in Malaysia), and had to use signal booster/amplifier to solve the problem?
joshhd
post Dec 14 2016, 12:20 AM

Look at all my stars!!
6,959 posts

QUOTE(9M-MAS @ Dec 13 2016, 10:39 AM)
yes. I came across a few cases (where the old booster still works). If it doesn't work, the booster may well have been water-penetrated and is shorting.

I recommend NOT using boosters unless absolutely necessary - even then I'd recommend using in-line boosters rather than external ones.
I want to know how masthead amplifier works. Let say the outdoor signal booster is installed on the VHF/UHF antenna at rooftop, and then with the indoor booster unit (uses electricity) next to the TV.

Let say if I power off the indoor booster unit, will I still able to get digital TV signal, same as if I did not install any boosters, either indoor or outdoor or both?

Or, I will get TV signals (regardless of analogue or digital TV signals) only if I power on my amplifier?
joshhd
post Dec 14 2016, 11:17 AM

Look at all my stars!!
6,959 posts

QUOTE(9M-MAS @ Dec 14 2016, 07:19 AM)
If you power off the booster, it won't work. I've worked with inline boosters, masthead bound boosters, and powered internal antennas. All three are the same.
So once I power off the booster, it will not get any signal? As long the boosters (Outdoor and indoor booster) is installed between the connection from TV/STB to rooftop antenna, it must be powered on in order to receive signal, am I correct?
joshhd
post Dec 14 2016, 11:20 AM

Look at all my stars!!
6,959 posts

QUOTE(YoungMan @ Dec 14 2016, 08:14 AM)
One setback of astro is when the weather is bad you can't watch. Is it the same with this Dtt?
Analogue and Digital terrestrial TV (DTT) signals won't be affected by rain or strong winds as long the signal reception is adequate.
joshhd
post Dec 31 2016, 06:26 PM

Look at all my stars!!
6,959 posts

TV9 now showing this 16:9 (HD) programme without letterbox.

Original from 4:3 video
Attached Image

After being stretched on 16:9 TV
Attached Image

And it appears that they've changed a new subtitle font for good.

Same goes to 8TV. But some programmes still displays letterbox.
Attached Image

This post has been edited by joshhd: Dec 31 2016, 06:30 PM
joshhd
post Jan 1 2017, 11:57 AM

Look at all my stars!!
6,959 posts

QUOTE(truelife @ Dec 31 2016, 08:27 PM)
It is still SD, not HD.
The channel is SD, I know.

What I mean is, the original programme is in HD quality, but Media Prima airs it in SD.
joshhd
post Feb 2 2017, 02:31 PM

Look at all my stars!!
6,959 posts

QUOTE(lionelzc @ Jan 25 2017, 11:10 PM)
The analogue TV transmission is suppose to be stopped this year right?

It's weird to see that not many places(besides online) promoting the T2 boxes.

Or is it just my area?
Not to say "suppose" to end this year for Malaysia...
If you say Singapore, then yes they indeed planning to shut off analogue TV signals earlier by end of this year 2017.

For Malaysia, most likely will be end of 2018, which is the same as what all Thailand, Singapore, Indonesia, Brunei agreed to shut off analogue TV signal in the year 2018.
joshhd
post Feb 16 2017, 09:56 AM

Look at all my stars!!
6,959 posts

QUOTE(Exa_Bytez @ Feb 16 2017, 09:49 AM)
I have just received my dvb t2 decoder and after setting it up with the existing antenna,  I couldn't get any signal at all 0%. The scanning also run pretty fast and it only stops momentarily at 666mhz but with 0 channel detected. Any ideas why? Even manual search yield nothing. 
Ps: I tried both ulu kali and kuantan tower frequency for manual search.

Since you said it stops momentarily at 666MHz but no channel detected, it means the signal is too weak until the point it can't detect any channels.

Have you tried aligning your antenna? What antenna are you using? UHF or VHF? Outdoor or indoor?

And what DVB-T2 box are you using?

Do make sure there's no issue with the cabling too.
joshhd
post Feb 16 2017, 07:26 PM

Look at all my stars!!
6,959 posts

QUOTE(Exa_Bytez @ Feb 16 2017, 10:07 AM)
I tested using both indoor and outdoor.  Both give same result. The outdoor antenna is the UHF/VHF one. Decoder is k2 dvb t2 bought from lazada.  Is it normal for the signal strength to be 0% in the event of weak signal? For the alignment,  is there any app to assist the adjustment?
I think it is normal in the event of no signal, despite the cable is being connected for digital terrestrial TV.

Check your cable plug, make sure it is tighten and stuff... including the cable plug that connects to the antenna and the cable plug that connects to your receiver.
Perhaps you may check with your neighbours that also try out digital TV in your area to see whether the signal reaches your area or not.

Or try other antennas if you can.
joshhd
post Feb 18 2017, 02:55 AM

Look at all my stars!!
6,959 posts

QUOTE(lionelzc @ Feb 16 2017, 10:52 PM)
Just bought a K2 DVB T2 box from lazada and fired up the box.

Setup was simple although you do need some time to align the antenna especially if using indoors and landed area but thankfullysignal wasn't a problem in the Klang Valley when properly aligned.
My outdoor antenna can't get any signal, with or without booster probably due to misalignment after being neglected for so many years.
So I used the indoor antenna with booster and managed to get roughly 70% strength and quality after some adjustments.

I got 10 channels with good picture quality but I'm not sure how many of them are in actual HD or upscaled but definitely better than SD Astro channels.

There was minimal signal interruption after proper alignment and definitely better than analog tuning where I only got 2 blurry channels.
As of now it is still in test transmission phase, all channels are in SD quality except Al Hijrah which is in HD.

Why is it better picture quality if you would compare with the one you watch on Astro? It is because digital TV nowadays uses MPEG4 (also known as H.264) video codec while Astro still using the old MPEG2 video codec for the sake of legacy Astro set-top-boxes. In simple English, MPEG 4 (H.264) is a newer generation video codec which able to offer better overall picture quality in a lower video bitrate compared to old MPEG2 video codec, which is the opposite.
joshhd
post Feb 18 2017, 01:51 PM

Look at all my stars!!
6,959 posts

QUOTE(9M-MAS @ Feb 18 2017, 01:02 PM)
That's because Al Hijrah is upscaled from 720 to 1080.
Yeah true... Al Hijrah Channel on digital TV looks like it is being upscaled from 720p.

joshhd
post Feb 19 2017, 09:06 PM

Look at all my stars!!
6,959 posts

QUOTE(idoblu @ Feb 19 2017, 08:32 PM)
anyone using this type of passive indoor antenna? suppose to be 36db signal dunno true or not or how good it is
please recommend one - thank you

intend to install this for my aunty staying in jalan imbi. since the KL tower is so near, I think should be okay right?
gonna get her the K2 DVB-T2

user posted image
This one should be okay....
joshhd
post Feb 21 2017, 08:38 PM

Look at all my stars!!
6,959 posts

QUOTE(nikrizal @ Feb 21 2017, 05:52 PM)
I just realized MYIPTV audio is DolbyDigital..
Which channel you will get this Dolby Digital audio?
joshhd
post Feb 22 2017, 02:39 AM

Look at all my stars!!
6,959 posts

QUOTE(nikrizal @ Feb 21 2017, 08:45 PM)
All seem to have DD, but only Al Hijrah got Full HD 1080.
Where did you see Dolby Digital (or DD) in this picture?

As of now, none of any Malaysian digital TV channels (mytv) are broadcasting in Dolby audio. It is confirmed, trust me.

AAC is not Dolby audio... Dolby audio is AC3.

About why your AV receiver is showing Dolby Digital, I am not sure about that...
joshhd
post Feb 22 2017, 02:42 AM

Look at all my stars!!
6,959 posts

QUOTE(Exa_Bytez @ Feb 22 2017, 02:17 AM)
New update: I have just climbed the roof this evening and after looking through the outdoor booster box,  I found out that the wire connection point were all rusty.  I restripped the wire,  clean the point,  and adjust the antenna accordingly and now I get around 0-45% quality intermittently. Will try to fine tune it tomorrow. thumbup.gif
Don't forget that poor cable contact point at your aerial port (that connects to your STB) can be the culprit.

Do check your aerial cable's port, make sure the cable is properly and tightly connected. Because I used to experience this when I tune to digital TV.
joshhd
post Mar 20 2017, 11:20 AM

Look at all my stars!!
6,959 posts

https://www.facebook.com/8TV.NEWS/videos/1597484100279226/

Hmm... Since when 8TV news programme is in 16:9, with 4:3 safe area???
I can smell that HD is coming very soon to Media Prima channels...

This post has been edited by joshhd: Mar 20 2017, 11:21 AM
joshhd
post Apr 28 2017, 01:36 PM

Look at all my stars!!
6,959 posts

Anyone here able to receive Malaysian digital TV channels from Singapore, whether it's indoor or outdoor antenna?
joshhd
post Apr 29 2017, 12:37 AM

Look at all my stars!!
6,959 posts

QUOTE(chuppachop @ Apr 29 2017, 12:21 AM)
I can receive it, near Woodlands area, indoor UHF antenna. The signals are not HD yet.
Wow the signal is pretty strong. Thanks for the screenshots, really appreciate that.
May I roughly know which floor level are you receiving Malaysian digital TV channels, based on your screenshots provided?
And are you receiving it inside HDB, or a terrace house, or office building?
joshhd
post Apr 29 2017, 12:59 AM

Look at all my stars!!
6,959 posts

QUOTE(chuppachop @ Apr 29 2017, 12:50 AM)
Above 20th floor, inside HDB, the antenna is hung next to the window. The window faces JB direction, unblocked and i can see the skyline of JB ..... guess that helps. Hope to see the MP channels goes HD soon. Haha.
Ohhhh that's must be very close to Malaysia.

Btw yeah,

As you may notice, you will see a transparent "SIARAN UJIAN DTT" on top corner of the channel, it means "DTT TEST BROADCAST" in English. Malaysia's digital TV is currently still in testing phase, but still, many parts of Malaysia are already able to receive it without any major issues.

Both RTM and Media Prima did mention before that they will transmit its channels in HD once digital TV exits testing phase and officially launches.
And, Malaysia plans to shut off analogue transmission by June 2018 (Hope it won't be delayed).

Btw just asking, how's the migration to digital TV in Singapore now, since its analogue TV transmission will shut off by end of this year.

27 Pages  1 2 3 > » Top
Topic ClosedOptions

Change to:
| Lo-Fi Version
0.0295sec    0.56    7 queries    GZIP Disabled
Time is now: 29th March 2024 - 03:58 PM