Outline · [ Standard ] · Linear+

G6PD BB

views

prody
post Jul 19 2011, 02:21 PM

Dance while the record spins
1,548 posts

QUOTE(YoruNeko @ Jul 16 2011, 06:36 PM)
I am 17 yrs old girl with G6PD too.My parents asked me to avoid kacang parang, moth ball/napthalene,chinese herbs etc.  blink.gif
They told me before that this disease normally boys will have it.Isit true?
G6PDD (G6PD deficiency) is passed on the X chromosome.

In most cases only 1 of the parents will have G6PDD, so usually girls (XX) will have 1 affected X chromosome and 1 unaffected X chromosome. So in that case the girl is just a carrier but not affected since the unaffected X-chromosome will still produce the G6PD enzyme.

Since boys (XY) only have 1 X chromosome they are always affected.

So that means your dad is affected and your mom might be affected but is definitely a carrier.

In short, mostly boys are affected.

Added on July 19, 2011, 2:25 pm
QUOTE(jimmykvt @ Jul 18 2011, 09:27 PM)
I was born with G6PD too but it went disappeared after I became an adult. Went for blood test twice and the doctor said I'm free from G6PD already.

Yeah, your child needs to be cautious with certain food like what they mentioned above.

Even if you bring your child to western doctors, tell them that your child has G6PD so that the doctor will be more cautious in choosing the right medicine for him/her. That's what my dad did whenever I fell sick during my childhood.
I've been reading loads of info on this but so far haven't found a single reference that it can disappear. It's a genetic deficiency. Your X-chromosome can't simply change.

I guess it's possible they made a mistake while testing you previously or now. Stay alert.

This post has been edited by prody: Jul 19 2011, 02:25 PM
sunsilk
post May 20 2012, 02:08 AM

7 posts

QUOTE(prody @ Jul 19 2011, 02:21 PM)
G6PDD (G6PD deficiency) is passed on the X chromosome.

In most cases only 1 of the parents will have G6PDD, so usually girls (XX) will have 1 affected X chromosome and 1 unaffected X chromosome. So in that case the girl is just a carrier but not affected since the unaffected X-chromosome will still produce the G6PD enzyme.

Since boys (XY) only have 1 X chromosome they are always affected.

So that means your dad is affected and your mom might be affected but is definitely a carrier.

In short, mostly boys are affected.

Added on July 19, 2011, 2:25 pm

I've been reading loads of info on this but so far haven't found a single reference that it can disappear. It's a genetic deficiency. Your X-chromosome can't simply change.

I guess it's possible they made a mistake while testing you previously or now. Stay alert.
Can suggest formula milk for G6PD baby??

Now i give my baby Enfalac A+ LactoFree = RM96.98.
Chester
post Jan 30 2018, 06:50 PM

Look at all my stars!!
2,380 posts

QUOTE(AccelTech @ May 24 2011, 03:47 PM)
I have G6PD.
Just avoid Flava beans and mothballs.
For me i stay awaya and can't stand the smell or smoke of a cigarette and insecticide.
I'm not sure wether if i'm normal but i have high metabolism rate and sometimes gastric.
Can you take soya.. soy sauce.. tofu etc?
tasnim567 P
post Aug 20 2019, 10:28 AM

Probation
7 posts

QUOTE(Chester @ Jan 30 2018, 06:50 PM)
Can you take soya.. soy sauce.. tofu etc?
definitely no

Change to:
| Lo-Fi Version
0.0159sec    0.31    5 queries    GZIP Disabled
Time is now: 29th March 2024 - 03:40 AM