Income Tax Issues

views

b00n
post Mar 14 2009, 10:51 AM

delusional
Group Icon
VIP
9,137 posts

I got charged back by LHDN for 4 years because of that too.
The mistake I did was I reported the arrears in that section but I declared my overall PCB deduction inclusive of the "bonus" payout in one lump sum.

What I'm going to do this year is filling all those under the same line as earnings, i.e. the total earnings stated in EA form + bonus received previous year under the same line.

Unless there's any other suggestions. hmm.gif
b00n
post Mar 14 2009, 02:07 PM

delusional
Group Icon
VIP
9,137 posts

QUOTE(sotong168 @ Mar 14 2009, 01:45 PM)
better be safe than sorry, will call them up for clarification by monday.

1-300-88-3010 (mon to fri 7.30am to 5.30pm)
03-42893636 (24hr hotline)

And pls update us if you got any infor. wink.gif

b00n
post Mar 18 2009, 10:21 PM

delusional
Group Icon
VIP
9,137 posts

QUOTE(wankongyew @ Mar 18 2009, 01:15 PM)
I just registered myself for the first time and got a tax reference number. What next? Wait for the goverment to send me a form?

I'm assuming you just started working since you mentioned you just registered with LHDN and just gotten your tax reference number.
So if I'm correct; than you'll only need to declare your income comes next year. rclxms.gif

b00n
post Mar 21 2009, 12:27 PM

delusional
Group Icon
VIP
9,137 posts

To clear the air;
I'm responsible to move it here as it is related to income tax issues.
I didn't move that post of yours which is left untouched as I felt that it's just a sarcastic remark which bears no help to the said poster asking the question.

It's better to have a consolidated topic as income tax filing is near.

Cheers.
b00n
post Apr 8 2009, 04:40 PM

delusional
Group Icon
VIP
9,137 posts

QUOTE(keeseng12 @ Apr 8 2009, 03:54 PM)
» Click to show Spoiler - click again to hide... «

My next question will be regarding previous undeclared income, on the row "PENDAPATAN PADA TAHUN KEBELAKANGAN".
I got an EA form from my previous company regarding undeclared income on 2007.
The EA FORM is stating the amount i earn, the EPF i contribute, and the PCB that i've paid and I understood that i can fill that up in the row "PENDAPATAN PADA TAHUN KEBELAKANGAN". BUT i can't fill up the amount of PCB that i've paid.
Does that mean that I need to add up the amount to the 2008 PCB?

No, you can't do that.
You have to only put in the total PCB paid excluding your "bonus paid out" PCB.

I did that mistake all this years and last year they actually charged me back for 3 years. They recalculate and asked me to pay as I've under declared.

This year, I've put in the bonus paid out in "PENDAPATAN PADA TAHUN KEBELAKANGAN" and less out that specific PCB under the "PCB paid" section. wink.gif

b00n
post Apr 8 2009, 10:32 PM

delusional
Group Icon
VIP
9,137 posts

QUOTE(keeseng12 @ Apr 8 2009, 04:52 PM)
thanks, b00n. just to verify, here's my situation:
I have small amount of income undeclared in 2007 which is around RM2.5K. EPF contribution let say is around WM300. and the PCB during that time is RM137.
I know i need to put in all these data in PENDAPATAN PADA TAHUN KEBELAKANGAN but there's no column for the PCB that i've paid that time (which is RM137).
and i CANNOT add RM137 into the 2008 PCB, is that correct?
if i can't, what will happen to this RM137 that i've paid previously?

Correct.
Previously I added the RM137 into total PCD deducted/paid. That's why last year I received the notice to pay up due to I've constantly done that for 3 years. i.e. I under declared. I learned the mistake through the hard way sweat.gif

The RM137 would be in their system as it's PCB already paid. They can trace back, so no worries on that.
In the event if it's not enough to cover, they would come back to you and request for money.
Otherwise, you can actually do a yearly check on your account to see whether or not there's any excess payment and the ppl in LHDN would advise you on what to do.

You can actually use their help line. Quite efficient; I phoned in through the help line to request for installment payment for 6 months. wink.gif

Added on April 8, 2009, 10:36 pm
QUOTE(cyclone9 @ Apr 8 2009, 04:46 PM)
let say i get salary of 2100 in jan08-july08, and 2600 in oct08-dec08
do i need to pay tax?

You have to compute the annual income to know.
The common misconception that everyone had is "no need to declare" if below certain amount of pay. It's wrong.
Any income also need to declare. The only issue is whether or not need to pay income tax.

Last time the officers of LHDN would tell you no need to declare as it's quite manual for them also. But since it's computerised, there's no worries.
The first time I declare, I'm requested to back date 2 years because there's some PCB contributions during than, so can't escape. But if you're sure you never got any PCB deduction before, than can close one eye no need to declare. But if you do....it's already in their system. You can't run.

This post has been edited by b00n: Apr 8 2009, 10:36 PM
b00n
post Apr 9 2009, 09:15 AM

delusional
Group Icon
VIP
9,137 posts

If you have other business income, than it's Borang B instead of Borang BE.
b00n
post Apr 14 2009, 10:00 AM

delusional
Group Icon
VIP
9,137 posts

QUOTE(frans @ Apr 14 2009, 09:31 AM)
Refer to Attahun reply on above quote. It's going to depend on the EA form. Below is my situation:

Take an exmaple on my 2009 EA form below:

"Butiran Pembayaran Tunggakan DSB Bagi Tahun Tahun Terdahulu (Sebelum Tahun 2009) "

Bayaran Bagi Tahun      Jenis Pendapatan                  Jumlah Bayaran (RM)      Carumah Tunggakan Kepada KWSP
  2007                                Bonus                                XXXX                                        xxxx

I Received my bonus at around Jun 2008.

After i read through topics gathering all the advices and experience from the forumens, i found out there is 2 normal practices they fill the tax for above situation:

1. Add the 2007 bonus to TOTAL PENGAJIAN 2008.
2. Declare 2007 Bonus under Section G1 for Pendapatan Tahun Kebelakangan yang belum dilaporkan.

Which one is preferable? If i declare it under Section G1, it won't be taxable in my 2009 tax assessment, but LHDN will approach me to inform me on how much tax i need to pay for year 2007, right?

Appreciate forumens advices on it.

I tried 1. and found that it hike up my tax bracket. So no go.
So use 2. i.e. declare under that section. Because PCB had been deducted for that particular income.

b00n
post Apr 27 2009, 03:03 AM

delusional
Group Icon
VIP
9,137 posts

Is there a RM0.50 charge?
I just checked my PB account, didn't see the RM0.50.
Btw, I used FPX.
b00n
post Apr 27 2009, 09:20 AM

delusional
Group Icon
VIP
9,137 posts

Just checked once again, mine confirm no.
Now I'm worried whether or not it goes through. But than again, my PB account doesn't show a charge back either. So must have gone through.
CODE

Transaction Dt   Transaction Description
15-04-2009           DR-ECP

Who else used FPX, can confirm on the RM0.50?

This post has been edited by b00n: Apr 27 2009, 09:21 AM
b00n
post Apr 27 2009, 07:02 PM

delusional
Group Icon
VIP
9,137 posts

QUOTE(nothingz @ Apr 27 2009, 04:46 PM)
» Click to show Spoiler - click again to hide... «

Added on April 27, 2009, 4:49 pm
just total the 2 PCB amounts into the Schedular Tax Deduction slot, you have no other place to put in that Bonus 2007 PCB deduction amount  biggrin.gif

In actual fact, you don't have to put.
I've been doing the same mistake for the past 3 years, i.e. putting my bonus under the "INCOME OF PRECEEDING YEARS NOT DECLARED" and declared the full PCB deduction under total PCB deducted.
In the end, last year they send me a letter saying I under declared. In the statement, they produced the PCB, my tax refund (previously because of that I always got excess), my total income taxable for the past 3 years and I have to pay quite a hefty sum.

This year I try to add the previous year bonus into Section A - Total Income than under the PCB deduction, the whole amount as usual but than I find that I overshoot the tax bracket and have to pay more. So, I just reversed out the bonus and park it under "previous year not declared" and also took out the PCB portion and viola, I pay lesser.

LHDN would already received your PCB which is deducted for that "bonus". IINM, there is a special formula to calculate year end bonus standardize by LHDN. So supposedly the calculation is correct, you just have to declare that bonus under "INCOME OF PRECEEDING YEARS NOT DECLARED" and the previous PCB paid is enough to cover that. So no worries.

This post has been edited by b00n: Apr 27 2009, 07:02 PM
b00n
post Apr 27 2009, 09:41 PM

delusional
Group Icon
VIP
9,137 posts

QUOTE(nothingz @ Apr 27 2009, 07:16 PM)
Maybe that's a noob officer who handled your case, actually you do it in either way the final figure would be the same. 

Unless, IRB imposed some penalties on you, which it shouldn't happen because it was your employer, who was late to pay you the bonus, therefore you have to revise it in the next year tax return.

The tax bracket would be different no?
2007 bonus to be in 2007 income which had already being declared. Thus when reporting 2008 income, if added the 2007 bonus in, it would hike up the tax bracket. Especially when there's substantial increase in pay. Both calculation would be different.

The statement that send me is quite straight forward and easy to understand. My mistake was I'm actually using the 2006 bonus PCB to relieve my 2007 income tax; while declaring my 2006 bonus as "Previous year income not declared". So obviously my PCB deduction was not enough.

So for this year, I put the 2007 into the main "Pengajian" column and God, my tax jumped the bracket and I have to pay more. Thus I just stick to the old plan of putting 2007 bonus under the "Previous year income not declared" while not include that PCB deduction into my total PCB. In the end, I still have to pay, but lesser. Unless after they do their calculation they find me under declare again wink.gif

b00n
post Dec 27 2009, 07:09 PM

delusional
Group Icon
VIP
9,137 posts

@winner
I don't think the new PCB system is over deducting. It's deducting more, yes that's a fact. But I found it more efficient as eventually I don't need to fork out additional to pay at the end of day - unless the obvious is I receive an ultra fat bonus. But anyway, over deducting still you can receive back the money. In year 2007, I got my money back in 2 months time - few hundreds. wink.gif
b00n
post Dec 27 2009, 07:44 PM

delusional
Group Icon
VIP
9,137 posts

Than you better have a chat with your HR payroll department. good luck.
b00n
post Mar 26 2010, 10:06 AM

delusional
Group Icon
VIP
9,137 posts

I just found out 2 things.
1 major issue is the e-form doesn't allow me to "re-input" my postcode. As I've changed address, I can enter all the lines except for the postcode field. sweat.gif What I did is on the last address field, I add in the postcode. Hope they noticed.

Another highlight is the new PCB scheme. It's really a lot. I tried not putting so much deduction except for the default RM8k, EPF/Insurance RM6k and Medical Insurance RM3k; viola it's a surplus. Last time, still need to adjust here and there. Now no need. Don't know whether its good or bad. wink.gif
b00n
post Mar 26 2010, 12:41 PM

delusional
Group Icon
VIP
9,137 posts

QUOTE(ronnie @ Mar 26 2010, 11:32 AM)
Don't understand this portion.... care to elaborate ?

The monthly PCB deduction. The new scheme as previous pages mentioned are quite high as compared to the previous years.
Usually for my case, over the years my PCB barely cover my taxes, i.e. I have to pay them further every year. This years declaration with the new scheme introduced last year, I do not have to. Which meant that PCB contribution is a lot more. If I add in the usual deduction of books, medical checkup, claims for PC etc.... the surplus amount is even more.

With another adjustment made to the PCB deduction this early of the year, don't know how the effect would be next year. Looking at what I submitted now, last year's PCB deduction is a lot more. But anyway, with the new adjustment my monthly PCB deduction did dropped, so I reckon next year it would be a more closer approximate. wink.gif

This post has been edited by b00n: Mar 26 2010, 12:44 PM
b00n
post Mar 27 2010, 03:24 PM

delusional
Group Icon
VIP
9,137 posts

QUOTE(Pennywise @ Mar 27 2010, 03:20 PM)
Hi guys,

I have a couple of questions with regards to submitting income tax.

1. Probably the most difficult question, how do I retrieve my e-Filing submitted for 2008? Can we actually do this? Cause I forgot if I had claimed for a new computer last year as I bought new laptop both 2008 and 2009. If I forgot to claim last year, then I would like to claim this year and vice versa.

2. If I am not mistaken, there is something about us being able to claim broadband internet now but I dont see it in the e-Filing website?
1) Not sure. You would have to head to LHDN yourself. Usually don't you save a copy? If you never have this practice, better start this year.

2) It's announced last year's budget. Don't think it's applicable for year 2009. Only available for declaration of 2010 income.

Others may correct me if my infor is wrong.

b00n
post Apr 2 2010, 10:33 AM

delusional
Group Icon
VIP
9,137 posts

The gray area is always on how the receipts is being issued wink.gif
b00n
post Apr 13 2010, 09:16 PM

delusional
Group Icon
VIP
9,137 posts

QUOTE(guanteik @ Apr 13 2010, 07:57 PM)
@David83
Yup. I have some friends who got the refund, but me sad.gif

@viper88
It's time for you to do it if you have not.

Mine they replied officially say I have no money in my account to be refunded although my filling this year shows that I have excess.
However, they did send me a letter last year claiming that I haven't paid enough for the past years which I haven't revert back to them. So I guess they would again be on my ass again this year sweat.gif

b00n
post Jun 30 2010, 10:08 PM

delusional
Group Icon
VIP
9,137 posts

QUOTE(roadie @ Jun 30 2010, 08:39 PM)
thanks for info. thats what i thought too but the bank lady was adamant that only my wife can claim, not husbands!!
No such thing: refer this: http://www.scribd.com/doc/21023304/sspn

2 Pages  1 2 >Top
Topic ClosedOptions

Change to:
| Lo-Fi Version
0.0925sec    0.20    7 queries    GZIP Disabled
Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 08:41 PM