Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Outline · [ Standard ] · Linear+

Malaysian Labor Law Regarding Working Hours, What is the maximum per week?

views

JasonLim911
post Oct 16 2016, 03:39 AM

1 posts

QUOTE(Hollow21 @ Jan 16 2014, 10:41 PM)
Wow....this is what happened to me currently.  Company issued a memo implementing similar hours like above.  And I am also wondering if this is a violation of Malaysian labor laws.  I know for sure this is a breach of my contract hours.  Don't get me wrong, I work late too to get things done but to have us simply sit there for 6 days 10 hours/day thinking that equals productivity is really stupid....

Sadly, when I talked to some of my colleagues, they like accepted it.  Feel like want to fight it but don't really know what to do besides jumping ship.  I could complain to HR but it feels like it's not going to help.  Being an employee in this country really suck....
Hi. I am new to this forum. Some heated exchanges but all are very good points. I have worked for companies of various sizes from 30 people to 50,000 (my current company and I am a Sr. Director). Regardless of the company policies, I have always worked at least 60-100 hours a week and frequently voluntarily given up my paid vacation. This is not to brag about my hard work but want to share why I am able to do that for the past 25 years. Two main reasons: (1) I completely enjoys my work so going to work is like playing with my hobby. (2) My accomplishments were rewarded; ie. promotions, higher salary, stock options, bonus, etc.

There is no free lunch. You have to be willing to put in to get something out of it and to make your skill set attractive to many employers. When you work hard or long hours, you have more chances of gaining more knowledge and experiences than those who works shorter hours and not dedicated. This is just logic.

I believe that there is NO bad career. A garbage collector or a supermarket sales person is as valuable and has the same growth opportunity as a senior executive. The key is your mentality. For example, if I am a garbage collector, I would pay attentions to anything that will help my employer in reducing operation costs or keeping the customers happy; eg. avoid traffic hours to save gasoline and also allow me to get my job done faster (so I can work shorter hours or do more within the work hours). The main point is to do something you really like and don't worry about the job title. Dedicate yourself to your job and gain as much experiences as you can each day; like deposit cash into your brain. This will make you a strong and valuable employee. Then, you have more ammunition to make demand, and easily jump to another company if your demand is rejected.

I live across from Apple Computer HQ and I can see people still working at 12 mid-night! I have many friends working for Google and Facebook. They love their jobs even when the companies were small and they made 50% - 75% of what other established companies would pay. Now, they are all multi-millionaires and they are only in their thirties. This is the main reasons why startups in US especially Silicon Valley are so successful.

Hope this helps.

Change to:
| Lo-Fi Version
0.0159sec    0.53    6 queries    GZIP Disabled
Time is now: 29th March 2024 - 11:37 PM