Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Outline · [ Standard ] · Linear+

> Mikrotik RB750 & RB250GS for wired networking (Unifi)

views

TSJinXXX
post Jan 27 2011, 12:50 PM, updated 7y ago

Look at all my stars!!
2,483 posts

hi guys..

just to share with you my experience of configuring my rb750 & rb250 so that
my tv downstairs connected via homeplug can also connect to the internet so that my xbox/network media player/ps3 can online

this is how the network is....

Attached Image

and this is my RB750 configuration

Attached Image
Attached Image
Attached Image
Attached Image
the reason the dhcp is sitting on the bridge Local so that both ends can get the dhcp traffic

while my rb250gs configuration is
PLEASE NOTE THAT BY DEFAULT THE RB250GS IP IS 192.168.88.1 WHICH IS SAME AS THE DEFAULT FOR RB750
SO CONFIGURE IT SEPARATELY THEN ONLY CONNECT THEM

Attached Image
Attached Image
Attached Image

somehow i feel that this isn't a very efficient configuration method, i might be wrong and this might be the only method to configure it..

hope this will help some of you with unique.. problems like me.. and happy cny holidays...

here is the rb750 cfg in case you wanna see it in details..

» Click to show Spoiler - click again to hide... «

This post has been edited by JinXXX: Jan 28 2011, 01:05 AM
ruffstuff
post Jan 27 2011, 07:05 PM

Look at all my stars!!
3,344 posts

thanks for sharing
billytong
post Feb 3 2011, 10:12 PM

Lord Sauron
4,522 posts

To be honest I still have no idea how those checkbox "from port X" works in the Forwarding tab in SWos RB250GS.

I just ticked all and it work flawlessly with my RB750G as router, RB250GS as switch. But I still interested to know how it work. Someone can explain that to me please? tongue.gif

This post has been edited by billytong: Feb 3 2011, 10:15 PM
TSJinXXX
post Feb 9 2011, 05:10 PM

Look at all my stars!!
2,483 posts

QUOTE(billytong @ Feb 3 2011, 10:12 PM)
To be honest I still have no idea how those checkbox "from port X" works in the Forwarding tab in SWos RB250GS.

I just ticked all and it work flawlessly with my RB750G as router, RB250GS as switch. But I still interested to know how it work. Someone can explain that to me please? tongue.gif
actually the "forwarding" tab is like a cross flow path..

if you check port 1 to port 2 and 3... then port 2 and 3 can communicate directly with port 1 and vice versa...

cause sometimes you want to split ur switch to different segments based on port you can use the forwarding section..

tongue.gif
billytong
post Feb 9 2011, 08:00 PM

Lord Sauron
4,522 posts

hmm that makes sense now... but well kinda pointless for a 5 port switch for spiting dont u think? tongue.gif

if u split into 2, u are into 2 +3 port segment. so if u have 1 port router for each segment, that leaves u 1 left for one of the segment and only 2 on the other. more like a bridge to me now if u split into 2 tongue.gif
TSJinXXX
post Feb 9 2011, 09:01 PM

Look at all my stars!!
2,483 posts

well its good to have features and functions intended for that class of product you never know when u might need it tongue.gif
farkinid
post Feb 10 2011, 09:18 AM

Enthusiast
996 posts

QUOTE(JinXXX @ Feb 9 2011, 09:01 PM)
well its good to have features and functions intended for that class of product you never know when u might need it tongue.gif
TRUTH!

Bought a switch with that function long time ago. Recently found use for it.
khoodennis
post Mar 21 2011, 03:20 PM

48 posts

There's quite alot of ppl very interested on the settings on the both device.

The RB250GS is very clear already.
Kindly post up the settings for Th RB750G.
Just needing the ADDTIONAL STEPS after the basic settings as the as posted at klseet's site.
Screan shots works best... TY

This post has been edited by khoodennis: Mar 21 2011, 03:20 PM
weyhan
post Apr 30 2011, 03:16 AM

1 posts

QUOTE(JinXXX @ Jan 27 2011, 12:50 PM)
hi guys..

just to share with you my experience of configuring my rb750 & rb250 so that
my tv downstairs connected via homeplug can also connect to the internet so that my xbox/network media player/ps3 can online

this is how the network is....

Attached Image
I just got my UniFi two weeks ago and I've almost exactly the same setup. The only different is your RB750 router is my homebrew gentoo box. Seems to work very well but took me the whole week to figure out how to replicate the functionality of the RB750 on my gentoo box. I'm curious though.
QUOTE(JinXXX @ Jan 27 2011, 12:50 PM)
somehow i feel that this isn't a very efficient configuration method, i might be wrong and this might be the only method to configure it..
Why do you say the above?

--Han.
TSJinXXX
post Apr 30 2011, 08:58 AM

Look at all my stars!!
2,483 posts

QUOTE(weyhan @ Apr 30 2011, 03:16 AM)
Why do you say the above?
--Han.
somehow, seems simple but difficult to implement .... maybe i've seen and use devices which can do much more in somewhat easier manner... lol... well that is my first revision of my work... maybe later when i have time to waste i can find ways to tweak it.. but then again, unless its broken or not performing i won't be touch it ehhehee...

Added on April 30, 2011, 8:59 am
QUOTE(weyhan @ Apr 30 2011, 03:16 AM)
I just got my UniFi two weeks ago and I've almost exactly the same setup. The only different is your RB750 router is my homebrew gentoo box. Seems to work very well but took me the whole week to figure out how to replicate the functionality of the RB750 on my gentoo box. I'm curious though.
gentoo box ? using an old pc ? isn't the power consumption a little higher than those little specific routing boxes ?

unless ur making ur box a NAS/BT downloader and etc etc multifunction then its only worth it for my opinion

This post has been edited by JinXXX: Apr 30 2011, 08:59 AM
<-- no content -->
weyhan
post Apr 30 2011, 08:27 PM

1 posts

QUOTE(JinXXX @ Apr 30 2011, 08:58 AM)
somehow, seems simple but difficult to implement .... maybe i've seen and use devices which can do much more in somewhat easier manner... lol...  well that is my first revision of my work... maybe later when i have time to waste i can find ways to tweak it.. but then again, unless its broken or not performing i won't be touch it ehhehee...

I think the complication is not your setup but with the VLAN thing TM implement. However, it does seem that many ISP that provide IPTV in other country does the same thing. So maybe it is a standard. Who knows. I've done extensive research into the VLAN, IPTV thing while trying to configure my router and know for sure one of the Australia, ISP implement VLAB for their service. I think the only way for you to make it simple is to have two home plug pair on different ID, then you can remove the RB250SG. But using more home plug network tends to complicate things on another front. It is my opinion that your setup is perfect. tongue.gif

QUOTE(JinXXX @ Apr 30 2011, 08:58 AM)
gentoo box ? using an old pc ? isn't the power consumption a little higher than those little specific routing boxes ?

unless ur making ur box a NAS/BT downloader and etc etc multifunction then its only worth it for my opinion
I'm using my old P4 which does contribute quite a bit to my electric bill but well, it is the center piece to my home network and yes it does more then just routing. Besides, it let me do unusual thing like VLAN and bridging. LOL Having full control is a wonderful thing. Also, I did remember you wrote in some other thread that you do need to reboot the RB750 once a week. I can keep my router up indefinitely, especially useful if I go on long business trip and the home network will stay up while I'm gone. Don't want to be getting support calls from wife when I'm working abroad. wink.gif

BTW, can I ask how come you need to reboot once a week your router?
TSJinXXX
post Apr 30 2011, 10:37 PM

Look at all my stars!!
2,483 posts

QUOTE(weyhan @ Apr 30 2011, 08:27 PM)
I think the complication is not your setup but with the VLAN thing TM implement. However, it does seem that many ISP that provide IPTV in other country does the same thing. So maybe it is a standard. Who knows. I've done extensive research into the VLAN, IPTV thing while trying to configure my router and know for sure one of the Australia, ISP implement VLAB for their service. I think the only way for you to make it simple is to have two home plug pair on different ID, then you can remove the RB250SG. But using more home plug network tends to complicate things on another front. It is my opinion that your setup is perfect. tongue.gif
I'm using my old P4 which does contribute quite a bit to my electric bill but well, it is the center piece to my home network and yes it does more then just routing. Besides, it let me do unusual thing like VLAN and bridging. LOL Having full control is a wonderful thing. Also, I did remember you wrote in some other thread that you do need to reboot the RB750 once a week. I can keep my router up indefinitely, especially useful if I go on long business trip and the home network will stay up while I'm gone. Don't want to be getting support calls from wife when I'm working abroad. wink.gif

BTW, can I ask how come you need to reboot once a week your router?
oh that was the initial stage, when i was setting up to, rebooted cause wanna make sure the everything performs at 100%..

now days.. didn't even touch it already, uptime is like 1 month plus, the only time it reboots is when there is a power trip.. else its smooth sailing all the way.. to terabyte heaven ....
weyhan
post May 1 2011, 04:07 AM

1 posts

QUOTE(JinXXX @ Apr 30 2011, 10:37 PM)
oh that was the initial stage, when i was setting up to, rebooted cause wanna make sure the everything performs at 100%..

now days.. didn't even touch it already, uptime is like 1 month plus, the only time it reboots is when there is a power trip.. else its smooth sailing all the way.. to terabyte heaven ....
Humm... OK, I will keep in mind that the RB750G is a viable option for me in the future. Thanks for the info.
klseet
post Jul 10 2011, 02:45 AM

Getting Started
130 posts

@JinXXX

Following your guide, I managed to get it running! biggrin.gif
http://klseet.com/index.php?option=com_con...id=94&Itemid=88

Now I can trunk it to my hall TV together with internet, thanks bro for the nice sharing! thumbup.gif
ADJ
post Jul 10 2011, 11:42 AM

..::fairlight::..
2,921 posts

@klseet,

looking at your guide, you mentioned using the TD-W8960N. Does that mean that it wouldn't work for the TL-WR1043ND? Reason being I would want Gigabit access for my from my PC (in room) anc NAS (next to my TV).
TSJinXXX
post Jul 10 2011, 12:36 PM

Look at all my stars!!
2,483 posts

QUOTE(klseet @ Jul 10 2011, 02:45 AM)
@JinXXX

Following your guide, I managed to get it running!  biggrin.gif
http://klseet.com/index.php?option=com_con...id=94&Itemid=88

Now I can trunk it to my hall TV together with internet, thanks bro for the nice sharing!  thumbup.gif
hahah .. great to be able to help.. just borrowing from /k/ aren't u a little slowpoke ? aahhahahaha

its good for those that have networked media players/xbox/ps3 and so on.. smile.gif if its downstairs you can even throw in a wireless for a solid wifi signal down stairs and upstairs smile.gif

oh just saw ur guide, you used it with "TD-W8960N" well that would be a better options as it has WIFI build in

since rb250gs is kinda hard to get ....

This post has been edited by JinXXX: Jul 10 2011, 12:40 PM
klseet
post Jul 11 2011, 01:36 AM

Getting Started
130 posts

Yah, I also saw your posting even at MikroTik forum months ago, back then wanted to try out but no time ... recently want to trunk to hall via 1 LAN cable, that's why quickly search your posting again ! tongue.gif

I tested on the TD-W8960N is just to confirm it can also work, beside I don't really need gigabit and it has wifi also, another option for others to consider smile.gif

@ADJ
To achieve this objective (meaning to trunk both IPTV & internet over 1 LAN cable from the RB750), the devices must be able to handle vlan tagging at port level, eg the RB250GS, TD-W8960N or others.

At this moment the TL-WR1043ND does not have custom UniFi firmware (yet) and it can't handle vlan tagging.
ADJ
post Jul 11 2011, 07:42 AM

..::fairlight::..
2,921 posts

@klseet

so technically speaking, I would be able to use the standard DIR-615 instead of the TD-W8960N in this setup?
billytong
post Jul 11 2011, 10:59 AM

Lord Sauron
4,522 posts

yes. but 615 only use a couple of vlan number like 500/600 vlan. but it should be sufficient.
SnoWFisH
post Dec 20 2011, 02:07 PM

Look at all my stars!!
2,247 posts

Hi, Can i replace the RB750 with ASUS N56 and RB250 with the Dlink 615?

2 Pages  1 2 >Top

Change to:
| Lo-Fi Version
0.0444sec    0.71    7 queries    GZIP Disabled
Time is now: 21st April 2021 - 01:48 PM