Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

10 Pages < 1 2 3 4 > » Bottom

Outline · [ Standard ] · Linear+

> The Guitar Dictionary, What's a Strat ? LP ? Describe 'Em All (Guitars)

views

blacktrix
post Jul 6 2005, 05:11 PM

Scott Pilgrim Vs The World!
Group Icon
Musicians
Group: VIP

There are a BOATload of Les Paul models, ranging from the classic 60's Les Paul which we all know and love, to Double cutaways (looks KINDA like a Gibson SG with less "devil" horns), the junior models (kinda like cut down version), specials (which replaced the junior), right up to the Customs, which like Pix said, is the Creme De La Creme of Les Pauls....

But based on the 3 you mentioned, I'll briefly explain them.

The "Standard" model is the basis on which all the Les Pauls were designed after. They use the standard Gibson pick-ups, standard wood, standard finish and the standard headstock. This is normally the Les Paul that everyone associate with.

The "Customs", before 2004, were built using the highest quality materials. It started off the first run as the "Black Beauty", which was pure black and gold hardware... and later, slowly evolved into the custom that we know. Last time, before 2004, you could buy Customs directly from shops, which were pre-made before hand. But after 2004, they ONLY sell the 2005 customs DIRECT from Gibson, which means you have to place an order with Gibson, and they will craft one to your specs, hence the term "Custom". The most famous weilder of the Les Paul Custom? (You all know THIS was coming), Zakk Wylde. His first guitar has been a Les Paul custom, and up to today, still using Customs.

"Juniors" were the budget models, before Gibson owned Epiphone. These were cut down versions of the Les Pauls. For example, you only had 1 pick-up, only had 1 tone/volume knob and used cheaper woods. However, because of their unique design, many professional players began to fall in love with the sound... Billie Joe Armstrong of Green Day recently shifted to the Juniors. However, the Juniors are now part of the Gibson USA custom line, meaning that they are considered Vintage and comes at a high price, from what I'm told. Epiphone now makes Les Paul specials, which is basically the same as the Juniors, except with even MORE cost effective prices.

ANy mistakes/comments, please let me know. I'm just writting whatever I know off memory. Not doing legitimate research on this.
gizmoduck
post Aug 26 2005, 10:13 AM

Casual
Group: Junior Member

user posted image

Specifications: Pickups: 2 Humbuckers Hardware: Gold Scale: 24.75 in. Nut Width: 1.68 in. Neck Joint: Set Neck Material: 3-piece Maple Fingerboard: Rosewood/Block and Triangle Multiple Binding: Body/Neck/Headstock and F holes Body Material: Laminated Maple Top: Laminated Maple Finishes: Ebony, Natural, Vintage Sunburst

drool.gif One more week to go.. haihhh.. I hope my car doesnt cause any more problems as soon as I get the check.. I have 1500 left on the deposit haaiihhh... sad.gif

They say that this georgeous beauty is the epitomy of 'price meets playability'. I tried it at the store and it has a really warm sound with a notable crunch. Think acoustic plugged into an amp with a little extra gain. I haven't had the chance to model any other sound cuz I was only using a mini amp, But I'm sure if I could plug it into a Marshall it would have a more rounded sound. Will edit this post as soon as I get it! tongue.gif
xnobys
post Sep 9 2005, 01:53 PM

See me, Feel me, Hear me, You just ruined me...
Group: Senior Member

i noticed that gibson's has these 4 knobs on all LP and SG. anybody care to explain what these knobs are?

japs guitar would normally have a maximum of 3 knobs (1 volume, 2 tone)
led_zep_freak
post Sep 9 2005, 02:08 PM

Look at all my stars!!

2 Volume & 2 Tone, each pair's hooked to their respective pickups.
blacktrix
post Sep 14 2005, 10:01 PM

Group Icon
Musicians

Just reading through this one again.....
The 2 volume and 2 tone knobs that controls the individual pickups can be VERY useful. I still find it hard to go back to 2 or 3 way knobs like on the Strat.

I like to roll down the volume of the pick-up that I'm NOT using (Say I'm playing using the Bridge pick up, and I roll down the volume for the Neck pickup to 0). So, what I esstentially get, is a Kill-Off switch! When I want total silence, I just switch it to the Neck pick-up and voila! No more sound!
xnobys
post Sep 14 2005, 10:12 PM

i think that's how morello did during wake up solo. he switched off one of the pickup and pick the string with rapid switching of the selector switch... or did he use some kind of gadget to get that weird on-off solo...
led_zep_freak
post Sep 14 2005, 10:44 PM

Look at all my stars!!

Nope, he used a kill switch... a switch/button that would kill your sound instantly, if I'm not mistaken.

Anyway you could achieve this effect by using a tremolo pedal. thumbup.gif thumbup.gif
blacktrix
post Sep 15 2005, 11:06 AM

Group Icon
Musicians

If you watch Ozzy's Live at Budokan, you can see Zakk performing this feat during Crazy Train.

Really easy to do and quite impressive.
echobrainproject
post Sep 15 2005, 11:48 AM

Look at all my stars!!
Group Icon
Musicians
Group: Moderator

now we know why u had to send ur LP to woh watt to replace the switch. lol.
evo.com
post Sep 15 2005, 12:13 PM

Look at all my stars!!

yea you can make a killswitch out of your selector if you have separate volume control
not recommended for those normal selectors you get with strats.. super strats etc....
best used with toggle switch selectors
blacktrix
post Sep 15 2005, 02:09 PM

Group Icon
Musicians

Yeah. Only Gibson style selector switches works best. But of course, the thing can snap off quite easily. Happened to me twice.
Once was just the plastic knob broke, and then the second time, the whole switch broke.
blacktrix
post Sep 15 2005, 09:45 PM

Group Icon
Musicians

No. But hopefully, will be getting a Bullseye Epi when I'm in the US next year.
Reload
post Sep 21 2005, 05:04 AM

Getting Started

Can anyone tell me what a Fat Strat is?
evo.com
post Sep 21 2005, 05:49 AM

Look at all my stars!!

a H/S/S strat
Reload
post Sep 21 2005, 05:58 AM

Getting Started

Oh. I wonder why they needed a nickname for that.

I don't suppose H/H strats have a special name?
evo.com
post Sep 21 2005, 06:50 AM

Look at all my stars!!

its not a nickname la...
its the model
headhunter7
post Sep 21 2005, 01:58 PM

Armed Shredder

QUOTE(Reload @ Sep 21 2005, 05:58 AM)
Oh. I wonder why they needed a nickname for that.

I don't suppose H/H strats have a special name?
H/H or H/s/H if im not mistaken, is Double Fat Strat
xnobys
post Sep 21 2005, 05:30 PM

is there any difference between fat strat and stagemaster aside from their name?
andymillenium
post Sep 29 2005, 04:56 PM

Enthusiast

Can any pro here give me info about this model---->YAMAHA EG-112

blink.gif
headhunter7
post Sep 30 2005, 10:17 PM

Armed Shredder

QUOTE(xnobys @ Sep 21 2005, 05:30 PM)
is there any difference between fat strat and stagemaster aside from their name?
Fat strat = routed at the front, pickguard on. (If you want the standard strat look)

Showmaster = Back routed, no pickguard, and some has 24 frets.
So if you want quilted / flamed maple and looks...stagemaster is for you, but
if you are a Jimi / Eric Johnson / SRV -wannnabe XD the usual fat / double fat / standard strat is for you.!

Choose!

EDIT : alamak terikut xnobys typing stagemaster,
its actually SHOWmaster! whistling.gif whistling.gif sweat.gif laugh.gif laugh.gif

This post has been edited by headhunter7: Sep 30 2005, 10:21 PM

10 Pages < 1 2 3 4 > » Top

Switch to:
| Lo-Fi Version
0.0838sec    3.36    5 queries    GZIP Disabled
Time is now: 23rd July 2019 - 02:50 PM