Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

10 Pages « < 5 6 7 8 9 > » Bottom
Bump Topic Add Reply RSS Feed New Topic New Poll

Outline · [ Standard ] · Linear+

> The Guitar Dictionary, What's a Strat ? LP ? Describe 'Em All (Guitars)

views

mhb
post Aug 18 2010, 02:55 PM

Zen.....
Group: Senior Member

Another thing to enquire here, what's the difference between semi-hollow electrics and solid body electrics?

I'm thinking of getting one semi-hollow, but mainly because of the appearance hehe.

What do you guys think of Samick Greg Bennett Royal RL1? Any insight how much a new one will cost?
ZintanthraX
post Aug 18 2010, 03:20 PM

La Dolce Vita

QUOTE(mhb @ Aug 18 2010, 02:55 PM)
Another thing to enquire here, what's the difference between semi-hollow electrics and solid body electrics?

I'm thinking of getting one semi-hollow, but mainly because of the appearance hehe.

What do you guys think of Samick Greg Bennett Royal RL1? Any insight how much a new one will cost?
d tone differs.semi hollow suits jazzy,bluesy,slo rock solo's or play,while solid body,is more versatile 2 me(no need 2 mention how they sound,evrybdy noes laugh.gif)...
dont go 4 semi hollows if u wanna play metal.sounds horrible...

1 more think,dont buy a guitar jz bcz of its cosmetic.tone is more important.
jibraun
post Sep 22 2010, 02:00 PM

Group: Junior Member

ESP Model List

All HORIZON 2010 List

(Click Model for Specs)
Horizon FR2 EMG
Horizon FR2
Horizon FR
Horizon NT FM
Horizon NT EMG
Horizon NT
Horizon NT 7
Horizon NT 2
Horizon FR 7
Horizon 3 STD
Horizon 3 STD QM

This post has been edited by jibraun: Sep 22 2010, 02:00 PM
kirovdust
post Oct 8 2010, 08:44 PM

Casual

I am bored, and I would like to write about electric guitars. I was thinking of making a new thread, but I'm afraid that the mod (Mr. Blacktrix..hehe) will get mad at me. So here it goes:

Breakdown of an electric guitar

A typical structure of an electric guitar consists of:

- Headstock
- Neck
- Body

A) HEADSTOCK

Headstock is the part where you can find the logo of the guitar brand, as well as the tuning heads, Headstock is an important part of the guitar because it shows the identity of the guitar. By simply looking at the shape of the headstock, you can straightaway tell the brand of the guitar. Besides that, it also resembles the characteristic of the guitar, for example, pointy headstocks are mainly found in metal-oriented guitars - yes, Les Pauls, Telecasters and Stratocasters looks weird with pointy headstocks. (Somebody please post a pic if you can find any, and prove me wrong/right).

Mostly, headstocks are made with the same material as the neck, and it is structured to be constructed with, or connected to the neck - through scarf joint, 1-piece or 3-piece or 5-piece construction, etc. Since most electric guitar are using neutral, hardwood such as maple, therefore most headstocks are made of maple. This explains why bare/clear finish headstock are yellowish/bright coloured.

Some guitars have matched headstock. It means, the headstock has similar colour/finishing to the body's colour/finishing. For example, if the body is painted in red colour, the headstock also painted in the same colour. Some manufacturer even put the flamed/quilted maple veneer on the surface of the headstock to match the finishing with the body. Some expensive guitars have the neck and headstock made of high grade/selected maple which have beautiful patterns, alike to flamed/quilted. A person here in LYN is selling his Don Grosh retro boutique Stratocaster, and that guitar is a good example of this - the clear finishing for the headstock reveals the nice pattern of the wood used. If you ever see that guitar, you will find that the headstock looks outstanding even without fancy logo or design.

The headstock places the tuning heads / tuning machines. These tuning machines are the things that keep your strings in tune, so a good set of tuning machines is important. Well-known brands of tuning machines are Grover and Gotoh. Most of high-end guitars are equipped with these tuning machines. Tuning machines are mostly made of die-cast metal, and some tuning pegs are made of plastic/bones. I personally think that if you are using low to intermediate guitars, please change your tuning heads. Why? Heed my advice, and you will feel the difference.

Before we move on to the neck section, there are a particular part that stays in between. The part that put your strings in place in between the headstock and the neck is called guitar nuts. This part is made of plastic or bones. For floating tremolo bridge equipped guitars, locking nuts are used - which is made of die-cast iron. There are guitars that use rolling nuts, this is mostly found in guitars that is equipped with Wilkinson 2 point tremolo bridge. I had an Ibanez SAS36FM which uses SAT PRO bridge that is similar to the Wilkinson bridge, but the guitar is equipped with basic nuts - and this causes tuning issues. For more information about the guitar nuts, please ask Mr. Google.

and guess what? Finally I have something to do, so...I'll continue later. Too much to talk about for the neck alone, so...lets wait till I get bored again, then I'll continue.

P/S: Do you think its proper for me to create a new thread for this?(Too afraid to ask our strict mr.mod) lol

Stay tuned for the update!

This post has been edited by kirovdust: Oct 10 2010, 07:46 AM
xiiao1047
post Oct 8 2010, 09:29 PM

Getting Started

@ kirovdust I support u!
antidream unthought
post Oct 8 2010, 11:22 PM

Casual

+1 to kirovdust. would love to hear about the necks, as im really keen on that part in choosing guitars
kirovdust
post Oct 10 2010, 09:09 AM

Casual

B) NECK

The neck of a guitar consists of:

#Neck - which mostly made of maple wood
#Fingerboard/Fretboard - made of rosewood (dark brown colour) or maple (yellowish white colour) or ebony (black colour)
#Truss rod - a steel shaft that is put inside the neck (there is a cavity inside the neck)
#Fretwires - the thin steel pieces that mark the spaces for chords on the fingerboard.
#Inlays - the markers on the fingerboards.

The neck of the guitar is mostly made of maple. Why? Some people say maple produces neutral tones, which compliments the body's tones (it doesnt affect the body's tone - well, that's rather a subjective matter). Some say that maple is a hard wood, so that why it is used for guitar necks. There are guitars which have mahogany neck, usually paired with mahogany body for even warmer tone. I'm using an Ibanez S series guitar which have maple neck and mahogany body, so far I think the tones blend well. Talking about construction, guitar necks are produced in a variety of construction - some are made to make it stronger, some are made for aesthetic purposes. Usually, guitar necks are made in 1 piece construction - which means only 1 piece of wood is used. Old Ibanez RGs, Jacksons, LPs, SGs, have 1 piece construction. There is also a 3-piece construction, where 3 pieces of woods are put together to make the neck. This construction is claimed to be stronger. Most 3-piece neck are made using three same woods, such as maple 3-piece neck in my Ibanez S320. 5-piece neck is an awesome creation - it adds the strength, as well as aesthetic value. In this construction, 3 woods are the same type, while the 2 is different. For example, I'm admiring an Ibanez RG prestige with 5-piece neck construction, and the 5-piece are made of maple and walnut. Maple is bright coloured, while walnut is brown, so..the result of this combination is a super stable neck, and when hyou look at the back of the neck, you will see 2 lines of walnut wood in the center of the neck, akin to 'racing stripe' or 'racing line'.

Fingerboard is the place where you put your fingers in order to hit the guitar notes/chords. There are three commonly used woods for fingerboards, which are rosewood, maple and ebony. Rosewood has a dark brown colour, and is said to give mellow tones, which compliments mahogany tones perfectly. That is why, I think, its rare to see a mahogany bodied guitar equipped with fingerboard from other type of wood. Rosewood looks pale when it is too dry, therefore you need to treat the wood with oil - it could be lemon oil, or mineral oil. I personally love rosewood fingerboard because the colour tone, which is nicer than ebony, and I'm not a fan of maple fingerboard. Maple fingerboard has yellowish colour, which is nice when combined with any body finishing. As I said before, I'm not a fan of maple fingerboard, but when I look at Ibanez RG with maple (e.g RG350M DY), I couldn't stop myself from liking it. Maple fingerboard is said to give bright tones, which is an added characteristic to twangy sounding guitars such as Fender Stratocasters - yes, that is why Stratocasters are usually equipped with maple fingerboard (apart from the aesthetics though). Lastly is the ebony fingerboard. All I know about this wood is that it has a dark, almost black colour. I don't know about the tone quality though, but aesthetically I think it offers a nice colour tone for those who want a really dark fingerboard - I've seen a Stratocaster with ebody, which I think is nice.

Truss rod is a steel rod/shaft that s placed inside your neck. It provides a reinforcement against the heavy tension that the neck suffer from the strings tension. High-end guitars such as Japanese Ibanez Prestige series guitars are equipped with Titanium reinforced KTS truss rod, which happens to be a real tough rod. There are also guitars equipped with Carbon Fiber compound rod, which is lighter as well as stronger. As for me and most guitarists here, yes, our guitar is equipped with steel rod - although not a strong as those rods, so far the rod is doing its job pretty well. Eventually, the neck will bend, due to the tension from the strings, or weather changes, or bad guitar handling. When the neck is bent, it can be adjusted by turning the truss rod. This setup needs professional hands because slight mistake could break your guitar's neck. In between the headstock and the neck, just next to the nuts, there lies the guitar truss rod cover. When you open the cover, you will find a slot to put an Allen key, which you can use to tighten or loosen the truss rod. I do my guitar setup on my own, but when it comes to neck, I will send to guitar tech. My dream of becoming a guitar tech will be realized later when I have learned this skill (maybe our recently joined, legendary guitar tech Tham can teach me? I want to be your student!!!)

Now lets move on to the fretwires. These thin pieces of steel rods divide the fingerboards so that we would have frets to put our fingers. The scale, or spaces between these fret wires is determined from the scale of the guitar's neck length. I don't know much about this, but if you want to build your own guitar, please learn more about this because slight mistake on the scales, would cost you the intonation as well as note accuracy. A long2 time ago, I thought these spaces are what they call in the catalogue as Jumbo fret, or Xtra Jumbo fret. But I was wrong! The Jumbo or Extra Jumbo is actually the size of the fretwires. Get yourself an Extra Jumbo fret guitar, you will notice how thick and high the fretwires are. I would change my guitar's fretwires to XJ later, because I want to have the feeling similar to playing scalloped fingerboard, but without the modification to the wood. What is scalloped neck, you ask? I would love, and I really want to, explain here. But I'm kinda sleepy now, so what I can say about scalloped neck is that you will be using less energy to hit the notes, and eventually you will play faster as you fingers will be trained to 'slide' along the frets, much like the guitar virtuoso Mr. Yngwie Malmsteen and his signature Fender Stratocaster.

Finally, lets talk about inlays! Oh, I really love this part. Basically, inlays mark the fretboard at the 3rd, 5th, 7th, 9th, 12th, 15th, 17th, 19th, 20th and 22nd fret. But nowadays there are various choice - some don't even have inlays, some have very, very few inlays. My take on inlay is, it gives characteristics to the guitar. Some guitars need less inlay to look cool, and my Ibanez S320 proves that. The guitar has only 2 small dots at the 12th fret, and the result is - the guitar looks mysterious in its simplicity - ok, I exaggerated, lol! Guitar inlays come in hell lots of variety. Commonly used are dot inlays, while in metal-ish guitars, a more radical inlays design is used, such as some Ibanez RGs (sharktooh inlays) and Jacksons RR (Sharkfin Inlays). The designs of inlays are plenty - some of my favourites are: Metallica's Kirk Hammet's ESP KH series' skull designed inlays, Slayer's Jeff Hanneman's ESP JH inlays, Slipknot's Mick Thompson's Ibanez MTM1 - 'SEVEN' inlays in the first 5 frets, BFMV's Michael Paget's ESP guitar's inlays, ESP Horizon's inlays, as well as Ibanez S Prestige inlays - 3 dots on the 12th fret, and lastly all of Steve Vai's Ibanez JEM guitars (7V, DNA, etc) inlays! The material used in making the inlays are varied. Some are plastics, pearl, mother-of-pearl, MOTO (in Jackson's Sharkfin inlay - I don't know what MOTO stands for), and many more. I love the mother-of-pearl inlays in my SAS36FM, and I admire the 'Tree of Life' inlays in JEM guitars, and I went gaga over DNA inlays in DNA JEMs. If Ibanez is going to make a signature guitar for me in future, I would want it to have mother-of-pearl inlays!

I'm very sleepy right now, sorry for the lack of quality in my writing. Stay tuned for the next part, which I will write a lot - the body part. In this part, I'll write about the finishing, shape, pickups, bridge, the neck joint, etc.

Thanks for the feedback!

jibraun
post Oct 10 2010, 07:02 PM

Walawe...nice info !!! Thx kirovdust
crazym
post Dec 9 2010, 06:32 PM

my guitar's bridge just pop out due to the heat in the car i suppose, so do you guys know any guitar store with technician can help me repair my guitar, around klang valley...
Lucidus
post Jan 23 2011, 04:11 AM

Newbie?

QUOTE(crazym @ Dec 9 2010, 06:32 PM)
my guitar's bridge just pop out due to the heat in the car i suppose, so do you guys know any guitar store with technician can help me repair my guitar, around klang valley...
TGS

Added on January 23, 2011, 4:12 am
QUOTE(crazym @ Dec 9 2010, 06:32 PM)
By the way how did that happen?

How many hours did you left the car under the sun?

This post has been edited by Lucidus: Jan 23 2011, 04:12 AM
eddydo
post Feb 26 2011, 09:41 AM

vroom vrooom~

bright shiny guitars, ah~...
felixyukito
post Mar 8 2011, 02:34 PM

Casual

Kirovdust can type out such a kickass guide while he is sleepy.. He is godlike when he is feeling not sleepy then.. o.0

good job!
hidzwan
post Mar 29 2011, 04:19 PM

Casual

@ kirovdust

do u mind if i ask u here instead of PM?

i'm keen to know, why a cheap body installed with Dimarzio Evo can't get a clean + compact sound like an RG with INF3 pickup. is it because the body wood or fret or bridge type or neck etc2..

This post has been edited by hidzwan: Apr 6 2011, 03:41 PM
bombercycle
post May 24 2011, 04:39 PM

I going to let go my baby

Yamaha FG 441 TBS Folk Guitar --
condition : 8/10
Prices : Rm 550

Spec :
Solid Top
Tobacco Sunburst
Chrome Tuners
Very Rare Piece ; Early FG series
VERY GOOD CONDTION
Great Tones and playability
Sorry soft-bag not have

user posted image
antidream unthought
post May 25 2011, 07:40 AM

Casual

^ Sorry bro wrong thread.. check out the Musical Instruments sales section, all in one place already thumbup.gif
dviduka
post Jun 6 2011, 12:31 PM

Group: Newbie

still waiting for the continuation of kirovdust's epic series!
zeronova
post Aug 7 2011, 01:36 AM

Casual

no PRS love? sad.gif
ultra_jet
post Oct 11 2011, 01:29 PM

market for string guitar XL at mlaysia how much??? . .

entinggi
post Feb 7 2012, 10:42 PM

Getting Started

Its been awhile since we all posted something

So here's something to share

Enjoy smile.gif

» Click to show Spoiler - click again to hide... «

from http://proguitarshop.com/andyscorner/uncat...s-of-your-tone/
brolex
post Feb 13 2012, 10:17 AM

Getting Started

QUOTE(melthq @ Sep 13 2009, 11:46 PM)
any fingerstyle acoustic player here? biggrin.gif
I dabble in fingerstyle.

I recorded this on my iphone, a cover of Randy Rhoads' Dee as there was quite a buzz on the net about this guy last week.

http://soundcloud.com/brolex/dee

You can find me on youtube as "tabreader" as well.

10 Pages « < 5 6 7 8 9 > » Top

Bump Topic Add ReplyOptions New Topic

Switch to:
| Lo-Fi Version
0.0918sec    4.07    5 queries    GZIP Disabled
Time is now: 25th June 2019 - 05:30 PM