G-17
post Nov 13 2010, 05:11 AM

Securely Paranoid
1,668 posts

@cocooh
There's already a desktop screenshot thread here:
http://forum.lowyat.net/DesktopCustomization

About your screenie;
Why do you have both Unity and Docky installed? Don't both do the same thing?
Sorry for the ignorance, as I don't use docks/launchers.
G-17
post Nov 13 2010, 05:19 AM

Securely Paranoid
1,668 posts

^No, no .. you don't have to apologize (I'm not an admin/mod)
Just wanted to let you know, that's all.

I'd be happy if you started a Linux desktop screenshot thread, but you might want to change the thread title to something a bit more catchy, and you might want to ask a mod to pin/sticky the thread on top.

BTW, if you do start a Linux screenshot thread here, will I be allowed to post BSD screenies? tongue.gif

This post has been edited by G-17: Nov 13 2010, 05:20 AM
G-17
post Nov 13 2010, 02:13 PM

Securely Paranoid
1,668 posts

In that case, I'll post one for now. Lets hope a mod pins this thread.

Not at home, so only my netbook shot this time.

Free-BSD, ScrotWM, Urxvt + apps
user posted image
G-17
post Nov 14 2010, 04:52 AM

Securely Paranoid
1,668 posts

QUOTE(cocooh @ Nov 14 2010, 04:34 AM)
whats that Wolf logo on your top tab @@?

Amarok

G-17
post Nov 15 2010, 04:19 AM

Securely Paranoid
1,668 posts

Been too busy to make any new themes lately, but here are some older screenshots from past months, just to keep this thread going.

From my secondary desktop.
Debian Testing + OpenBox with my own GTK, OBT, CSS browser stylesheet/startpage and various other configs. Already posted these on the other screenshot thread.

user posted image

user posted image

user posted image

user posted image

The themes (along with others) are available in my thread here (nick is gutterslob), if anyone wants them.
http://crunchbanglinux.org/forums/topic/62...gallery/page/3/
They're probably more suited to Openbox, but the GTKs should be usable in any GTK environment as long as you have the latest version of gtk2-engines-murrine installed. Probably too minimal for most Gnome users, though.

Cheers.

This post has been edited by G-17: Nov 15 2010, 04:23 AM
G-17
post Nov 17 2010, 02:48 AM

Securely Paranoid
1,668 posts

@Sarbath
It might be more helpful if you included the link to that site you mentioned.

I assume you downloaded an archive (either .zip, .tzr or .tar.gz), right?

Usually, you'll find a folder inside the archive. you copy-pasta it into the ~/.themes (DOTthemes folder in your /home directory... press Ctrl+h in your file manager to see hidden folders/files)

That's how it *usually* works, but I can't be certain until you link the site you downloaded it from.
G-17
post Nov 17 2010, 11:07 AM

Securely Paranoid
1,668 posts

@Sarbath & FlameReaper
I don't use Ubuntu, Gnome or GDM... so I can't speak from first-hand experience.

....but I saw this;
http://www.omgubuntu.co.uk/2010/11/change-gdm-gui-app/

Might be useful to you guys.
G-17
post Nov 19 2010, 03:19 AM

Securely Paranoid
1,668 posts

Currently on my netbook's GRML partition.

WM is Openbox. Wallpaper is something I drew on paper a long time ago, scanned and bitmap-traced (my manga rendition of a young Bjork). Conky on upper-left. Panel below is tint2.

user posted image

Haven't found time to make a suitable GTK for this yet.

This post has been edited by G-17: Nov 19 2010, 03:20 AM
G-17
post Nov 20 2010, 12:21 AM

Securely Paranoid
1,668 posts

QUOTE(powerwoot @ Nov 19 2010, 07:31 AM)
G17, it is indeed a simple and nice desktop, esp the font used in conky  thumbup.gif

Font is Radio Space, here's a link;
http://www.dafont.com/radio-space.font

This post has been edited by G-17: Nov 20 2010, 12:21 AM
G-17
post Dec 4 2010, 10:56 PM

Securely Paranoid
1,668 posts

Oi Admin!! Sticky this thread, please.

user posted image

Netbook, GRML, ScrotWM (hacked the source) running multiple tiled instances of Urxvt with some basic apps.
G-17
post Dec 7 2010, 01:46 AM

Securely Paranoid
1,668 posts

QUOTE(myst3 @ Dec 6 2010, 08:13 PM)
May i know u use what netbook? drool.gif

2009 Lenovo S10-2. Nothing special, but works well with Linux. All my Fn keys work, battery life is decent with a 6cell battery. Only problem is the Broadcom wireless chipset, which requires restricted drivers, unless you're running a custom kernel or a very recent one with Broadcom's new opensource driver.
I think it's been replaced by a newer model (maybe S10-3 or something). BTW, the screenshot has nothing to do with the netbook, since everything you see is custom.

QUOTE(Acid_RuleZz @ Dec 6 2010, 09:25 PM)
been using this setting for over 2 weeks. will continue using it till new year maybe  tongue.gif

feel like win7  doh.gif

I've never been a fan of docks, but they way you've setup your AWN looks nice against that wallpaper. Great job.

This post has been edited by G-17: Dec 7 2010, 10:21 AM
G-17
post Dec 17 2010, 10:45 AM

Securely Paranoid
1,668 posts

QUOTE(praveenmarkandu @ Dec 17 2010, 12:32 AM)
i want this.
I assume you're familiar with tiling window managers and cli apps?
If so, what do you need, exactly? Do you want my scrotwm.conf, .Xdefaults color-scheme, specific application configs/scripts?

This post has been edited by G-17: Dec 17 2010, 10:46 AM
G-17
post Dec 17 2010, 11:07 AM

Securely Paranoid
1,668 posts

QUOTE(-Hzu- @ Dec 17 2010, 10:49 AM)
You got a nice desktop but we can only navigate using keyboard? Or what? Looks like full text desktop.

Yes, you can use the mouse. I generally mostly run cli/terminal apps on my netbook, mainly because of the speed and it's what I'm familiar with. I still have a Graphical browser (Firefox or Chromium) which I use the mouse/touchpad for. I don't really have graphical file managers or media players (you can see my text-based file manager and music player in the screenshot).

I'm not using Gnome or KDE or Xfce or whatever, but a tiling window manager. Tiling window managers basically resize your opened windows automatically, for example, if you open one program, it's comes out full-screen, open another one, it splits the two programs side-by-side, 50-50, open another one and it splits the secondary pane by half again.... and so on. In a nutshell, you're maximizing your screen space. Of course, with a little knowhow, you can configure the behaviour however you want via the config files.

Here, I'm using a tiling window manager called ScrotWM:
http://www.scrotwm.org/

There are, of course, many other tiling window managers out there. Here's a comparison:
https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Compar...Window_Managers

You can run a tiling window manager on any distro that has an X11 backend, meaning any Linux or BSD distro. I even run a tiling window manager called Xmonad on my Apple OSX system from time-to-time. If you're on Ubuntu, Fedora, Suse..etc, you can find most of them in your repos, and then you can log out and boot into them via GDM or KDM. Other distros like Arch, Sid, Gentoo, Free-BSD...etc need a little more configuring (we usually don't use GDM and prefer startx/xinitrc)

Here, I'm using a distro called GRML.
http://grml.org/
I like it because it comes with a lot of text tools out of the box, is highly configurable, is based on Debian (the grandpa distro) and most importantly, comes with my favourite shell (I prefer Zsh over Bash). It's also very light, similar to an Arch or Gentoo install, but with much less time required for configuration, and the included kernel is pretty good, which saves me time recompiling.

I hope I didn't confuse you too much. I'm generally pretty bad at explaining stuff.

Tiling WMs aren't for everyone. You either like them or you don't. I'm not saying they're better then your usual floating desktop environments or window managers like Gnome, Xfce, Fluxbox, Openbox...etc. They're just different.

Cheers. smile.gif

This post has been edited by G-17: Dec 17 2010, 11:36 AM
G-17
post Dec 17 2010, 07:12 PM

Securely Paranoid
1,668 posts

-Hzu-
My configs probably won't work for you, since I've hacked the source code to add some functionality to suit my own specific workflow. Also because I use the CVS dev version, which is a bit different from the stable version you get from your repos.

Tell you what, I'll grab the standard config and edit it for you. It'll be a bit later since I'm still at work right now.

In the meantime, can you check your repos or package manager and tell me what version you have installed? Also, you can "man scrotwm" in the terminal to read up first

Cheers.

This post has been edited by G-17: Dec 17 2010, 07:14 PM
G-17
post Dec 18 2010, 04:46 AM

Securely Paranoid
1,668 posts

@-Hzu- & Acid_RuleZz & praveenmarkandu

here's a simple .scrotwm.conf, .Xdefaults and .bashrc
http://ompldr.org/vNmx2cw

All 3 are DOT files, so you'll need to enable your file manager to show hidden files (Ctrl + H in Nautilus, Thunar, etc)

Important:
Back up your existing .scrotwm.conf, .Xdefaults (if you have one) and .bashrc first
Then paste the .scrotwm.conf and .Xdefaults included in the zip into your home folder.

I've set both of them to use URxvt as the terminal emulator, so make sure you install that first (you can also edit the configs to make it use your preferred terminal if you know how, but if you're still learning and unsure, just use my suggestion first)

URxvt can be found in your repos under the "rxvt-unicode" package.
Also make sure you install terminus fonts, "xfonts-terminus" (I think Ubuntu pulls this in automatically when you install a ScrotWM or DWM, but I'm not 100% sure, so do it anyway (your package manager or Synaptic should tell you if it's installed already)

Note: If you don't understand this paragraph, don't worry... just ignore.
The .bashrc, don't touch until you're more familiar with bash. I don't use bash myself (I prefer ZSH) so I'm a bit behind with bash prompt editing. If you open it in a text editor, go to line 84 and 85 for your bash prompt. Just replace "User" and "Host" with whatever nick you want as a start. If you do some reading on Bash (Archwiki is a good place to learn), then you can do much more if you want.... or change to Zsh one day =P

That should be enough to get you started. Remember to read the .scrotwm.conf first to give you an idea of the keybindings. I've changed the Mod/Meta key to Mod4 (the Windows/Super key on your keyboard), to prevent conflicts with certain apps that use Mod1. I've also added quirks for Nautilus (which I assume is your file manager) and Firefox (at the end of the file)

Cheers.

Added on December 18, 2010, 4:52 am
QUOTE(Acid_RuleZz @ Dec 17 2010, 08:54 PM)
man. i tried scrotwm and it feel sexy

just 1 problem tho.. how to enable my wifi connection?  sweat.gif

Ah, are you using Network Manager as your default network app?
I'm not sure, cos I've not used network manager in a looooong time.

I prefer Wicd, and wicd-curses (the cli/terminal version) is what I use for my setups.
Wicd is actually better and lighter than network manager, but the disadvantage is that it doesn't support 3G USB dongles (maxis, celcom,etc) If you're just connecting via wifi to your router, it should work fine.

You can install wicd and wicd-curses and without removing network manager (I think). that way, your Gnome session will default to network manager and you can run wicd-curses from the terminal in scrotwm to configure your wireless connection. (note, if you install wicd from Gnome while network manager is running, it will give a message saying initialization failed, but ignore that... you can still run it as stand-alone from Scrotwm)

Disclaimer:
Like I said, I don't use Ubuntu/Fedora or Gnome or Network Manager, so I'm not 100% sure what your package management will do (sometimes Ubuntu will remove stuff), so pay attention to the output. Don't kill me if you bork your wireless sweat.gif tongue.gif

This post has been edited by G-17: Dec 18 2010, 09:11 AM
G-17
post Dec 18 2010, 09:25 AM

Securely Paranoid
1,668 posts

QUOTE(cocooh @ Dec 18 2010, 04:13 AM)
Recently "Back To Basics" with Ambience Theme + Faenza Variants + Covergloobus 1.7 RC + HTC Inspired Clock Widget

» Click to show Spoiler - click again to hide... «

Luving it  thumbup.gif

That's a beautiful clock widget. Conky or screenlet or something else?

QUOTE(Acid_RuleZz @ Dec 18 2010, 07:55 AM)
Thanks for the config man. Now my terminal is sexy as hell  drool.gif
Setting for wifi connection outside gnome is quite pain in the ass.
I think need to create my own script for stopping the networkmanager service and auto join ap on startup.

Any moar tips on tilingwm?  brows.gif

Haha.
Wifi outside Gnome is easy, man. Just not easy with network manager. tongue.gif (sorry, I really have little experience with nm)
If you know the proper syntax to connect network manager and need help for the script, just leave me a note.

What tips do you want? More apps, other tiling wm recommendations, URxvt add-ons? ... there's so much out there, I don't know where to start unless you can be a bit more specific.

Okay, enough off-topic.... got drunk and felt like theming my netbook again, so here's a screenshot.

Since some people recently robbed me of my configs,rolleyes.gif I decided to change my colorscheme. whistling.gif

ScrotWM on the netbook.
user posted image user posted image

Maybe I should change to another tiling WM. I have a feeling there's gonna be more ScrotWM screenshots here soon.
Next time I'll try to post some wmii, dwm or ratpoison screenies.

But now, I sleep yawn.gif

This post has been edited by G-17: Dec 18 2010, 09:26 AM
G-17
post Dec 19 2010, 03:32 AM

Securely Paranoid
1,668 posts

I was a big fan of BT some time ago. Some of the included tools were quite sublime.
Actually, I'm tempted again, since my next door neighbor in SG just signed up for a 100MB/s connection (double my speed).... hehehehe

Anyways, some tweaks on yesterdays setup. Mainly to get more usability out of my Vim syntax highlighting.

user posted image
G-17
post Dec 19 2010, 04:21 PM

Securely Paranoid
1,668 posts

@monsh & cocooh & everyone else
I'll start a Linux/BSD/FOSS General Chat & FAQ thread.
If it goes beyond 2 pages, we'll ask a mod to sticky it.

@-Hzu-
I'll try to answer your ScrotWM questions in the Q&A thread.

This post has been edited by G-17: Dec 19 2010, 04:21 PM
G-17
post Dec 19 2010, 07:14 PM

Securely Paranoid
1,668 posts

@monsh
I already replied your query in the new thread, FYI

QUOTE(-Hzu- @ Dec 19 2010, 04:17 PM)
Make an IRC channel. wink.gif

#[email protected] or #[email protected] would be a good choice (irchighway is better, but freenode has a more Linux identity to it).

Unfortunately, I probably wont have time to be a channel OP or maintainer, so someone else should start it. smile.gif

REQUEST
Someone please post a new screenshot here so that this thread can get back on topic!!
Thanks smile.gif

This post has been edited by G-17: Dec 19 2010, 07:15 PM
G-17
post Dec 19 2010, 08:07 PM

Securely Paranoid
1,668 posts

QUOTE(monsh @ Dec 19 2010, 08:01 PM)
where's d link of the new thread ?

http://forum.lowyat.net/topic/1683179

(Post #7)

This post has been edited by G-17: Dec 19 2010, 08:07 PM

11 Pages  1 2 3 > » Top