Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

15 Pages  1 2 3 > » Bottom

Outline · [ Standard ] · Linear+

All About The Sax, Saxophonists gather here!

views

TSstanleyseah999
post Aug 7 2010, 05:28 AM, updated 14y ago

11 posts

hey there guys...

i find there's lack of a place for saxophonists to gather around here, although i've seen quite a few lurking around.

perhaps we could share pointers as well as help each other out here?

anyway i'd start the ball rollin', perhaps a good start is to share our gear, then we can move on to help each other find parts and accessories that are hard to find in our country!

Horn: Selmer Paris Mark VI Alto
Mouthpiece: Dukoff D8 Metal & Beechler S5S
Reeds: Vandoren Java Red #2.5 & Frederick L. Hemke #2.5
Styles: Smooth Jazz, Contemporary Jazz
Inspirations: Charlie Parker, David Sanborn, Dave Koz, Kenny Garrett, Stan Getz

my fellow saxophonists, report in!
franklooi96
post Aug 7 2010, 11:40 AM

b**ch
575 posts

I'm not a saxophonist, yet.

But gonna learn it, it looks so cool that I could tackle girls with it. whistling.gif
TSstanleyseah999
post Aug 8 2010, 05:07 AM

11 posts

QUOTE(franklooi96 @ Aug 7 2010, 11:40 AM)
I'm not a saxophonist, yet.

But gonna learn it, it looks so cool that I could tackle girls with it. whistling.gif
hey there. great to know you're interested with it.

maybe girls would have plus points for guys who can play the sax, but i won't really recommend you to pick up an instrument just to tackle girls, although its a good motivation.

take a listen to some of the sax greats out there, maybe you'll fall in love with their sounds.

i'd say its not an easy instrument to play like the guitar on top of the instrument's high price, thats why there are only a few saxophonists around. but i'm sure once you get playing you'll start to fall in love with it...
franklooi96
post Aug 8 2010, 03:37 PM

b**ch
575 posts

I know a bit about the sax.

I've been in a brass band with the sax.

And it needs lots and lots of practice to make a nice jazz sound.

Anyways, can you recommend me some nice Sax artists?
empire
post Aug 9 2010, 12:08 AM

Look at all my stars!!
2,502 posts

If you dont practise Sax...forget it. Dont be like another 'hangat tahi ayam' case where you only get enthusiastic at the beginning only to 'close shop' and sell your Sax after a few weeks.

Playing Sax is not easy. If you have the time and DISCPILINE....then by all means go for it. If not, better dont bother at all.

TSstanleyseah999
post Aug 9 2010, 04:14 AM

11 posts

QUOTE(empire @ Aug 9 2010, 12:08 AM)
If you dont practise Sax...forget it. Dont be like another 'hangat tahi ayam' case where you only get enthusiastic at the beginning only to 'close shop' and sell your Sax after a few weeks.

Playing Sax is not easy. If you have the time and DISCPILINE....then by all means go for it. If not, better dont bother at all.
well said bro, well said.

Added on August 9, 2010, 4:19 am
QUOTE(franklooi96 @ Aug 8 2010, 03:37 PM)
I know a bit about the sax.

I've been in a brass band with the sax.

And it needs lots and lots of practice to make a nice jazz sound.
Anyways, can you recommend me some nice Sax artists?
that's good.

well your own sound is something you develop over the years. jazz is in the soul, so it very much depends on how the musician expresses it.

anyway back to your question...

it depends on what genre you are comfortable with.

personally i think apart from kenny g who's very much famous with people around the world, there are a lot more artistes you can look up. for instance, i listen to anything from charlie parker, dave koz & kenny garrett to asian artistes like kaori kobayashi & danny jung. put it simply, its up to you to discover these artistes and which of their styles you enjoy listening to!

This post has been edited by stanleyseah999: Aug 9 2010, 04:19 AM
empire
post Aug 9 2010, 11:07 AM

Look at all my stars!!
2,502 posts

Stanley...woh...those names you mentioend are super terror Musicians. There are many Japanese girls who will put our Malaysian Sax players to shame.
faceless
post Aug 9 2010, 12:05 PM

Straight Mouth is Big Word
4,515 posts

Empire, why our Malaysian so "teruk" compare to these Japanese?
killerkamote7
post Aug 9 2010, 12:57 PM

Casual
416 posts

Yeah sax is very hard to play, I tried it before when I was in a band but I was really a trombone/baritone player back then so am not really that interested. But it was fun though playing Alto Sax biggrin.gif (for Soprano sax , which Kenny G uses I think should be easier hmm.gif , not sure tongue.gif

Is there any band here that has a sax, trumpet and trombone player alongwith the lead, rhythm, bass players and drummer? rclxms.gif

This post has been edited by killerkamote7: Aug 9 2010, 12:58 PM
empire
post Aug 9 2010, 09:48 PM

Look at all my stars!!
2,502 posts

Faceless....if you see some Malaysian Saxophonists in youtube....you sure will laugh. Wrong notes, loose timing , horrible tone and no sense in playing with feeling.

Why? Because Malaysia boleh ma.
franklooi96
post Aug 9 2010, 10:16 PM

b**ch
575 posts

QUOTE(killerkamote7 @ Aug 9 2010, 12:57 PM)
Yeah sax is very hard to play, I tried it before when I was in a band but I was really a trombone/baritone player back then so am not really that interested. But it was fun though playing Alto Sax  biggrin.gif (for Soprano sax , which Kenny G uses I think should be easier  hmm.gif , not sure  tongue.gif

Is there any band here that has a sax, trumpet and trombone player alongwith the lead, rhythm, bass players and drummer?  rclxms.gif
I was in a band with Alto Sax back then during my primary school days.

Some of the Japanese girls I've seen on youtube, damn I almost jizzed in my pants and fap.
TSstanleyseah999
post Aug 10 2010, 04:24 AM

11 posts

QUOTE(empire @ Aug 9 2010, 11:07 AM)
Stanley...woh...those names you mentioend are super terror Musicians. There are many Japanese girls who will put our Malaysian Sax players to shame.
lol. those are saxophonists i usually listen to, well nobody wants to spend time listening to bad music ain't it?

although i have to disagree with your 2nd sentence tho haha, there are many great japanese girls who can play the horn, but we still do have saxophone greats in malaysia as well, it just a little harder to discover them. there are also some great bossa nova and jazz saxophonists very near to us, from singapore! met quite a couple of them randomly...

Added on August 10, 2010, 4:28 am
QUOTE(killerkamote7 @ Aug 9 2010, 12:57 PM)
Yeah sax is very hard to play, I tried it before when I was in a band but I was really a trombone/baritone player back then so am not really that interested. But it was fun though playing Alto Sax  biggrin.gif (for Soprano sax , which Kenny G uses I think should be easier  hmm.gif , not sure  tongue.gif

Is there any band here that has a sax, trumpet and trombone player alongwith the lead, rhythm, bass players and drummer?  rclxms.gif
sax is an easy instrument to learn, but its definitely a hard one to master, not to mention its not easy producing a soothing yet powerful sound from it.

the soprano saxophone is actually a little harder to play in comparison to the tenor or alto, as it requires more precise control from your air speed and embouchure. um, so i would have to say nope, the soprano sax which kenny g plays isn't easier to play than the others. it took him years of practicing and playing to get to where he is today, and still many saxophone players don't really admire his works lol.

This post has been edited by stanleyseah999: Aug 10 2010, 04:28 AM
faceless
post Aug 10 2010, 11:13 AM

Straight Mouth is Big Word
4,515 posts

QUOTE(empire @ Aug 9 2010, 09:48 PM)
Faceless....if you see some Malaysian Saxophonists in youtube....you sure will laugh. Wrong notes, loose timing , horrible tone and no sense in playing with feeling.

Why? Because Malaysia boleh ma.
Woh, "muka tebal" to think they can get away with such mistakes.
weichen666
post Aug 10 2010, 10:14 PM

23 posts

Can i know is there any saxophone musical class at puchong?Coz i wan learn back saxophone.I am having altosaxophone...
TSstanleyseah999
post Aug 15 2010, 05:13 AM

11 posts

QUOTE(weichen666 @ Aug 10 2010, 10:14 PM)
Can i know is there any saxophone musical class at puchong?Coz i wan learn back saxophone.I am having altosaxophone...
maybe you should try looking at yamaha outlets, they should have experienced teachers conducting classes, or maybe they can offer some headway as to where you can find teachers around.

anyway, i remember seeing quite a number of saxophonists scattered around the forum... where have they all been??
toolkit21
post Aug 16 2010, 09:58 PM

37 posts

stanleyseah999, it's a very good initiative to start a thread dedicated to saxophone and fans alike. i applaud you. hopefully it may help to share more of our knowledge to the uninformed, and help the players exchange pointers.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

just to share my current setup;

HORN : Yamaha Alto AS100
MOUTHPIECE : Yamaha 4C (awaiting new Meyer 5M), standard ligature
REED : Frederick Hemke 2.5

YEARS : 1 year
TUTOR : at Yamaha Subang Parade
STYLE : still student level

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

for curious minds, I've put up a blog discussing my experience from day one of learning saxophone at http://eflatsax.blogspot.com.

Hopefully it is of useful assistance... (apologies for 'hijacking' a little of your thread stanleyseah999)

This post has been edited by toolkit21: Aug 16 2010, 09:59 PM
bacon
post Aug 17 2010, 05:35 PM

40 posts

QUOTE(weichen666 @ Aug 10 2010, 10:14 PM)
write to this guy
saxomanz@yahoo.com
he teach in local college.
subangman
post Aug 20 2010, 12:24 PM

On my way
562 posts

QUOTE(empire @ Aug 9 2010, 12:08 AM)

GOOD one bru.. SPOT ON.

I am one of wat Empire mentioned by I still keep my SAX. thumbup.gif thumbup.gif thumbup.gif

mayb next few years when i can pass most of my burdens out i'll start all over again.

My SAX goes to hibernating now.... yawn.gif
TSstanleyseah999
post Aug 22 2010, 08:28 AM

11 posts

QUOTE(toolkit21 @ Aug 16 2010, 09:58 PM)
stanleyseah999, it's a very good initiative to start a thread dedicated to saxophone and fans alike. i applaud you. hopefully it may help to share more of our knowledge to the uninformed, and help the players exchange pointers.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

just to share my current setup;

HORN : Yamaha Alto AS100
MOUTHPIECE : Yamaha 4C (awaiting new Meyer 5M), standard ligature
REED : Frederick Hemke 2.5

YEARS : 1 year
TUTOR : at Yamaha Subang Parade
STYLE : still student level

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

for curious minds, I've put up a blog discussing my experience from day one of learning saxophone at http://eflatsax.blogspot.com.

Hopefully it is of useful assistance... (apologies for 'hijacking' a little of your thread stanleyseah999)
hey there! i remember reading your blog somewhere before. if i'm not wrong, i remember you broke a 4C mouthpiece before rite lol.

and don't worry i don't consider this hijacking, guys you should all check out his blog, gives an overview on what a sax student's journey is like!

Added on August 22, 2010, 8:30 am
QUOTE(subangman @ Aug 20 2010, 12:24 PM)
GOOD one bru.. SPOT ON.

I am one of wat Empire mentioned by I still keep my SAX.  thumbup.gif  thumbup.gif  thumbup.gif

mayb next few years when i can pass most of my burdens out i'll start all over again.

My SAX goes to hibernating now.... yawn.gif
subangman i remember seeing you around before, pretty active in saxophone discussions.

how come you gave up? i'm pretty sure you were making great progress, march on bro!

This post has been edited by stanleyseah999: Aug 22 2010, 08:30 AM
abizart
post Sep 28 2010, 08:20 PM

12 posts

have any of you guys heard of a pocket saxophone? its called a Xaphoon

15 Pages  1 2 3 > » Top

Change to:
| Lo-Fi Version
0.0279sec    0.18    6 queries    GZIP Disabled
Time is now: 29th March 2024 - 09:02 AM