Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

4 Pages  1 2 3 > » Bottom

Outline · [ Standard ] · Linear+

Home Networking N Router By Asus RTN-66U / Asus RTN-16 / RT-N56U, Asus RT-N Series Supported Unifi

views

TSMX510
post Jul 28 2010, 11:29 PM, updated 9y ago

Love Me Sin Hate Me Sinner
4,032 posts

Asus RT-N13U / RT-N56U Supported Unifi thanks to klseet.com * Thread will be updated *

Join AsusTek Facebook

Now with 3 years warranty 1 to 1 exchange

http://on.fb.me/bR7L3b

Attached Image

This is a review for new Asus Router which support N and Gigabit Network suitable for current fibre broadband or existing users who wish to upgrade to indoor high end AP with 128 MB RAM

Attached Image

Basic Information

First of all I would like to say awesome to the hardware specs on this RT-N16. So far I was been playing with router that only have max 32 MB and 16 MB of RAM. This should be the leading router that can lead the market with the N capabilities and Gigabit LAN.

It would take only a few minutes approximately 2 minutes plus for this device to boot up. I was quickly looking at the firmware version that being installed and look at their support site if there is new firmware available. I quickly download the latest firmware and flash it via WEB Gui. The WEB GUi is very user friendly and helpful for users to navigate .

Attached Image

It would take only a few minutes approximately 2 minutes plus for this device to boot up. I was quickly looking at the firmware version that being installed and look at their support site if there is new firmware available. I quickly download the latest firmware and flash it via WEB Gui. The WEB GUi is very user friendly and helpful for users to navigate .

Attached Image

This devices are equip with Wireless N and 4 x Gigabit LAN Ports and 2 USB for print sharing / memory stick use as file sharing with samba / win 32 / and NTFS and also for FTP . This is good for heavy users who like to stream and use P2P. There are 3 antenna with SMA Connector which is removable if u want to change it to a bigger antenna. The signal is quite good as like any other Wireless N brand. In addition Bittorent and FTP also http can be downloaded directly to the attached HDD which attached to it without using computer. This router include with QOS function which is the most important features that need to be implemented to cater the needs and usage of users connected to it.

Modes of Operation

Attached Image

This router have 3 modes of operation. Gateway Mode, Router Mode & Access Point Mode. The selection can be made via the advanced administration section in the WEB GUI
Home Gateway "In Home Gateway mode, the RT-N16 connects to the Internet via ADSL and clients in your network share the same IP to ISP.
In this mode, NAT is enabled and WAN connection is allowed using PPPoE, DHCP, or static IP. It also support UPnP and DDNS features that are useful for home users."
This would be the most common mode used , once the RT-N16 is connected to a modem , you select the connection method and authentication method and away you go connected to the internet
Note : if connecting to an ADSL modem it is recommended that the modem be set to Bridge Mode to avoid dual NAT and forwarding issues.

Router Mode
"In Router mode, you suppose to use RT-N16 to connect to LAN in your company. So, you can set up routing protocol to meet your requirement in office.
Explaining with technical terms, router mode is, NAT is disabled, static routing protocol are allowed to set. "
I would guess this mode would be used for those wanting to bridge subnet's within a company etc.
Access Point Mode or Repeater
In the AP mode, use an Ethernet cable to connect RT-N16 with your LAN then your computer can create a wireless network connection to RT-N16. All the network clients will be bridged together.This mode provides Internet connection for network clients, but disables the firewall, IP sharing, and NAT functions.Hard reset via the reset button is required to reset the router to gateway mode.
Wireless connectivity
The wireless on the RT-N16 is strong and reliable ,
Ethernet connectivity
The RT-N16 has 4 GiGaBit Ethernet LAN ports and one GiGabit WAN Ethernet port .

EzQos

Attached Image

Ezqos is a graphic based qos setup , and breaks the available bandwidth up into 4 categories .
Gaming Blaster – set for lowest ping etc
Internet Application – standard internet use
AiDisk – FTP server , allowing access for outside your lan
Voip/Video Streaming – allows for smooth streaming across the lan / wlan.
You can choose any or all or these features and the modem is the set to use , note p2p apps are capped at 10% if some applications are selected .
Qos is also availble in the advanced section for more specific need.
Qos works great on the RT-N16 , and i was able to run torrents at near full speed and stream video content across my lan with issues .

UPnP Media Server
The RT-N16 is equipped with a built in UPnP Media Server which allows for the router to stream content directly to media devices such as the console like PS3 and XBOX etc
USB Application
The RT-N16 is equipped with 2 usb ports , one or both can be use to attach an external usb HDD up to 1000 GB , and formatted in any format that windows accepts including NTFS.
The hdd can be set into one of two modes.
Network Neighborhood Share – where the hdd becomes a shared folder in your lan's network neighborhood , allowing it to be used as a media server and avoid having a computer left on.
FTP Share , share ftp both internally and externally and have your own ftp server available anywhere on the internet via the aidisk feature .
Note : ReiserFS format is not supported
A print server is also available on one or both ports.

Firewall
The firewall is standard , not too details however the firewalls in routers are left off as they generally cause more issues than they solve.
Third Party Firmware Compatibiliy
This router support the third party firmware from www.dd-wrt.com
It’s easy to flash it using the web based flash. This will turn your current router and unleashed it’s total function.

Attached Image

Attached Image

Conclusion
The RT-N16 is in my opinion the best wireless router available on the domestic market today , with its pure power and feature set the RT-N16 will be seen as the router to emulate by all its competitors.
Ease of use and setup will see the network beginner and hard core user rave about how good and how easy this unit is to use.
Once again its hard to see anything that comes close to the feature set and pure power of the RT-N16 .
Features Rating
Wireless, 5/5 – Best wireless radiation and throughput
LAN, 5/5 – As i have suggested pure power and speed , Gigabit is a must
USB , 5/5 – with ftp and samba windows sharing , and a print server to boot the RT-N16 covers all the bases and needs for those that want computer free downloading and print sharing alike.
------------------------------------------------------------
Overall Rating
Reliability: 5/5 – Test period showed the router have no issues like hang
Usability: 4.5/5 – With the ASUS Web Gui look and feel , anyone should be able to manage the RT-N16 with ease , intuitive and clear obvious graphics used to indicate the state of the wan and lan.
Longevity: 4.5/5 – with all the latest features and pure power to boot the Overall Rating the RT-N16 should be in use for a long time to come.
Functionality: 4/5 – almost all the features the home user could need.
Support third party firmware like DD-WRT from www.dd-wrt.com

Added on July 28, 2010, 11:29 pm

This post is reserved for RT-N13U

Attached Image

Attached Image

Specifications
ASUS RT-N13U
Hardware
Ethernet Port WAN x 1, LAN x 4 RJ-45 for 10/100 BaseT
Supports Ethernet and 802.3 with max. bit rate 10/100Mbps and auto cross-over function (MDI-X)
Antenna • 2 x PCB antenna
• Antenna Gain in 1~3dBi
Power Adapter DC output 12V with max. 1A current
Dimensions 165mm x 125mm x 30mm
Weight • Device: 265g
• w/ Packing: 770g
Wireless LAN
Operating Frequency 2.4~2.5GHz
Data Rate • 802.11n Draft up to 300Mbps
• 802.11g 6, 9, 12, 18, 24, 36, 48, 54Mpbs
• 802.11b 1, 2, 5.5, 11Mbps
Output Power • n mode: 15.8~19.5dBm
• g mode: 15.5~16.5dBm
• b mode: 15.8~19.5dBm
Receiver Sensitivity
(at normal temp. range) • 75~ -77dBm @54Mbps
• 89~ -92dBm @11Mbps
• 91~ -95dBm @1Mbps
Encryption/Authentication • Supports 64/128-bit WEP
• WPA-PSK, WPA2-PSK
• WPA-Enterprise, WPA2-Enterprise
• Radius with 802.1x
Software
Management • EZ QoS (Easy Quality of Service): Allows multiple network activities (FTP, Game, P2P) to work smoothly at the same time
• DHCP Server: Supports up to 253 IP addresses; Changeable DHCP lease time, IP pool, domain name; Static mapped IP
• Web-based administration: Supports IE 5.5 or later, Firefox 2.0.0.1 or later; Managed from LAN and Internet; Password Setting
• System Event Log
• Firmware Upgrade: Web Interface, Bootloader
• Save/Restore Configuration File
Internet Connection Type Automatic IP, Static IP, PPPoE (MPPE supported), PPTP, L2TP
Security • Firewall: NAT and SPI (Stateful Packet Inspection), intrusion detection including logging
• Logging: Dropped packet, security event, Syslog
• Filtering: Port, IP packet, URL keyword, MAC address

Interface

Attached Image

This is the main interface
Web interface
The web interface for the RT-N13U is accessed by typing the router ip address 192.168.1.1 using username = admin & password = admin as default login
Network Management
Once the web interface is accessed, it’s as easy as click and see how your network is connected and who is using the router.

Operational Mode
Router

Attached Image

Operational modes
The RT-N13U has 3 operational modes that are selected via WEB GUI or using a switch at the bottom of the unit

Attached Image

Once selected the router can run in 3 different mode, Router, Repeater and AP

Attached Image

The 3 modes are

Router
In the Router/IP Sharing mode, RT-N13U connects the clients in WAN via PPPoE, Automatic IP, or Static IP. In this mode, RT-N13U provides wireless radio signals, NAT, firewall, and IP sharing functions to clients in LAN.

Repeater
In the Repeater mode, RT-N13U extends your wireless network coverage.
Under this mode, RT-N13U automatically disables the NAT, firewall, and IP sharing functions

AP
In the Access Point mode, the wireless router allows you to connect to router using an Ethernet cable and creates a wireless connection in your network. This allows all clients in your network to connect to the Internet, but this mode disables the NAT, firewall, and IP sharing functions.

Attached Image

EzQoS Bandwidth Management
The EzQOS on the RT-N13U allow the user to set one of 4 pre set qos rules that allow the user to balance the way the router treats and manipulates the bandwidth to allow for lag free performance
Modes include
Gaming Blaster
Internet Application
FTP
Voip / Video Streaming
Tested set Voip/Video Streaming and then streamed a video across my lan and was downloading torrents at the same time , the video was fine and unaffected by the torrent . However the speed was depend on your broadband speed . You won’t get problem accessing web or the router page itself as the router itself can manage and handle thousand of connections.
Advanced Qos is also available for those needing more than the default settings
AiDisk
AiDisk allows the user to setup an externally accessible FTP server directly from a connected usb HDD , i didn’t tested this but seems to work with Dynamic DNS Services for ADSL users with dynamic ip addressing which can assign you static hostname to your PC

Advanced Settings Menu

Attached Image

Ethernet connectivity
The RT-N13U has 4 x 10/100M Lan Ethernet ports and 1 x 10/100M wan port , for most people 10/100M Ethernet is enough for every day usage and is much faster than the internet anyway , throughput was around 4MB/s over the Ethernet. This is not a gigabit Ethernet

Firewall
The firewall is very basic and limited , but has all the needed things also allows for
URL Filter
To specify keyword, URL filter will block specific URL access from clients.
Mac filtering
MAC filter allows you to block packets from devices with specified MAC address in your LAN.
LAN to WAN Filter
LAN vs. WAN filter allows you to block specified packets between LAN and WAN. You can first define the date and time that filter will be enabled. You can then choose the default action for filter in both directions and insert the rules for any exceptions.

3G HSPDA Support
This router also support WAN from 3G Network meaning you can shared your 3G Broadband using this device and share it with WiFi

Attached Image

These are a list of compatible 3G Modem
Compatible 3G Modem

Attached Image

Maxis Broadband Testing As WAN

Attached Image

Print Server
The Rt-N13U has a built in print server and worked fine with my multifunction printer , the setup for sharing the printer is the same as most other routers in that you install as a network printer on a tcp/ip address. In addition u also need to install drivers on each pc who want to shared the printer
http://event.asus.com/2009/networks/printe...ort/rt-n13u.htm

Third Party Firmware Support
Not supported

Conclusion
The ASUS RT-N13U works very well in all its modes of operations, I really like the 3G Sharing function , its ease of setup and transparency make it just so easy for even the novice user
Wireless is very good for an internal antenna unit , covered all of my blind spots and was a good signal at even past the 25 meters mark
The print server and ftp functions works . Anyway RT-N13U is a good a choice for users to buy as feature rich.

Features Rating
Wireless, 3.5/5 – The wireless is ok , just the internal antenna prevent it from a better score
LAN, 4/5 – 10/100M Ethernet works fine and is all most users usage need
USB , 5/5 – With 3G WAN & ftp sharing , and a print server the RT-N13U has a good list of advanced features
Overall Rating
Reliability: 4.5/5 – Test period over a few weeks saw the RT-N13U stay connected to both its wireless and over the wan pppoe without issue.
Usability: 4.5/5 – With the Asus WEB Gui look and feel , anyone should be able to manage the RT-N13U with ease , intuitive and clear obvious graphics used to indicate the state of the wan and lan.
Longevity: 4.5/5 – with a long list of features and reliability
Functionality: 4.5/5 – Almost all the features the home user could need.
Value for money: ( Not sure how much is the pricing )

This post has been edited by MX510: Jun 29 2012, 09:20 AM
TSMX510
post Jul 31 2010, 07:05 PM

4,032 posts

RT-N16 use Gigabit LAN but Asus RT-N13U use normal 100Mbps LAN but the RT-N13U can use 3G Modem like E220 by huawei to make it work with 3G USB Modem as gateway for WAN
TSMX510
post Aug 3 2010, 09:15 PM

4,032 posts

QUOTE(tch9 @ Aug 3 2010, 07:29 PM)
Hi!
If RT-N16 were flashed to DD-WRT firmware, does it support port based VLAN tagging via web interface?
Thanks.
Of course it support VLAN tagging

QUOTE(intothefantasy @ Aug 3 2010, 08:32 PM)
how much is rt-n16? where can i get it? i mean either in lowyat or penang of course...nice spec having a 128mb ram and 32mb of rom...480mhz speed

need to replace my old wrt54g which having problem with heavy loads of torrent...

how is this router capability of handling torrents?
So far so good 32MB and 128MB is like the sky and the land lah bro . Pricing you can check hardwarezone.com.my

TSMX510
post Aug 4 2010, 09:49 PM

4,032 posts

This version support Tomato Asus RT-N16 yeah u need to use the USB version firmware to use the features
TSMX510
post Aug 5 2010, 07:57 AM

4,032 posts

QUOTE(intothefantasy @ Aug 4 2010, 09:54 PM)
the tomatousb is a standalone firmware? do i need to flash to normal tomato only can flash the tomatousb? or i just can directly flash the tomatousb straight?
Too play safe go for dd-wrt you can post questions for Tomato in their thread

http://forum.lowyat.net/index.php?showtopic=723800&hl=tomato

I can support you questions regarding the original and dd-wrt :-)
TSMX510
post Aug 9 2010, 11:13 PM

4,032 posts

QUOTE(vergas @ Aug 7 2010, 05:11 PM)
I just bought RT-N13U at PC Fair. RM259 from Infoflex sdn bhd. So far so good.
Great investment
TSMX510
post Aug 12 2010, 10:03 PM

4,032 posts

Need to give a call to the shop before coming there in empty hands
TSMX510
post Aug 20 2010, 07:16 PM

4,032 posts

QUOTE(milky @ Aug 20 2010, 12:36 PM)
just got the RT-N16 for my office...waited for 2 weeks for it. later will try to flash to tomato firmware.. which one is recommended for office usage?
Tomato or the dd-wrt?

Added on August 20, 2010, 1:53 pm

where to check the SNR margin?
Found out that if use the DD-WRT cant used the following am i right?

1) NO BT
2) NO FTP
3) NO NAS right?
Of course can support u need to do more reading lah bro

http://www.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/Asus_RT-N16

http://www.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=61570

I am using it with dd-wrt until now
TSMX510
post Aug 21 2010, 09:53 AM

4,032 posts

QUOTE(milky @ Aug 20 2010, 10:41 PM)
you can still check on the SNR margin too as well?
Here is your reading page :-)

http://www.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/Acces...m_Configuration

QUOTE(limhongwoon @ Aug 21 2010, 06:56 AM)
Asus RT-N16 NAS can get full speed when download ?
Of course but it depend on ur ISP lah bro

Anywhere here is my monthly usage with help of Torrentflux Servers pls check out the download not the upload. Because upload is not valid because i streaming from my media player to my PC

Attached Image

RT-N16 is a good investment because i need gigabit power and N to transfer files to my media player Dvico. Streaming bluray 45GB is not a problem .

TSMX510
post Aug 21 2010, 02:31 PM

4,032 posts

QUOTE(AMDAthlon @ Aug 21 2010, 09:54 AM)
I wonder if this support IPTV??
Or just UNIFI?
Check out

http://unifi.athena.my/
TSMX510
post Aug 23 2010, 11:24 AM

4,032 posts

QUOTE(milky @ Aug 21 2010, 10:58 PM)
@MX510
what modem you combine with rt-n16
Modem by TM Billion

Added on August 23, 2010, 11:29 am
QUOTE(milky @ Aug 23 2010, 10:27 AM)

Added on August 23, 2010, 9:53 am

i've already read the page that u gave me.. this is what i did but failed to connect to the modem

Modem ip  : 10.0.0.1
Router ip  : 192.168.1.100
i've done this too.. but still cant connect to the modem
Rules of thumb ur modem ip should use the same subnet n not the same ip as ur router that 10.0.0.1 is just example not for u to follow it. Pls read with ur heart not eyes . Hehehe works for me :-)

Modem 192.168.1.1

Router 192.168.1.2

Pls do not #fakap ur self

This post has been edited by MX510: Aug 23 2010, 11:29 AM
TSMX510
post Aug 26 2010, 03:44 AM

4,032 posts

It's already explain for more info kindly post in the dd-wrt forum site :-) tqvm
TSMX510
post Sep 5 2010, 01:24 AM

4,032 posts

QUOTE(milky @ Aug 27 2010, 02:58 PM)
anybody done this?
http://www.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/Printer_Sharing
btw i got

Router Asus  RT-N16
Printer : Samsung Color CLP-315
Firmware Version
DD-WRT v24-sp2 (08/07/10) mega - build 14896
Someone in dd-wrt forum already did that :-)

TSMX510
post Sep 8 2010, 12:15 AM

4,032 posts

Articles on RT-N13U updated the unit sold in Malaysia does not support DD-WRT
TSMX510
post Sep 14 2010, 01:01 AM

4,032 posts

QUOTE(alextong8386 @ Sep 13 2010, 01:58 PM)
Can this Asus RT-N16 do VLAN port base tag on for 500 & 600?
Of course it can but after u flash it into dd-wrt :-)
TSMX510
post Sep 14 2010, 10:28 AM

4,032 posts

QUOTE(kaspersky-fan @ Sep 14 2010, 10:15 AM)
wow, serious? so it works all in one with the unifi iptv without the need for another router/switch? could you provide a screenshot of that router page on vlan? would really like to see how it looks...
I don't have UniFi yet if i have it i will go for Biz packages :-) not going into watching their IPTV you could checkup this link

http://dd-wrt.com/demo/Networking.asp

And

http://bit.ly/cV3w9k

Good Luck :-)

TSMX510
post Sep 15 2010, 04:59 PM

4,032 posts

QUOTE(billytong @ Sep 14 2010, 10:54 AM)
How does this RT-N16 Broadcom cpu compared to the Atheros 680Mhz ones?
So far so good this router is very stable

Firmware: DD-WRT v24-sp2 (04/23/10) std-usb-ftp
Time: 21:59:46 up 26 days, 21:59, load average: 0.06, 0.01, 0.00

Attached Image

Super heavy file transfer monthly average 600GB

QUOTE(wenhui100 @ Sep 15 2010, 01:00 AM)
well in the end i flashed tomatousb ...
Got any screenshot ?

This post has been edited by MX510: Sep 15 2010, 05:00 PM
TSMX510
post Oct 15 2010, 09:20 PM

4,032 posts

QUOTE(asc825 @ Oct 15 2010, 05:58 PM)
old firmware only can access USB storage by using FTP server , but 2.0.0.2 ver can share around WORKGROUP .....
few days ago still can c it from Network place but now gone alre rclxub.gif
i think can support HTTP download cos i can c HTTP, FTP, and BT option from asus download master but jz cannot connect to router ..
dunno y  cry.gif

any owner here ???  icon_question.gif  icon_question.gif
Have u check on the latest firmware on Asus Websites ?

TSMX510
post Oct 26 2010, 10:35 PM

4,032 posts

QUOTE(bL4cK_73dDy @ Oct 26 2010, 10:34 PM)
Hi guys,

I just bought a unit of RT-N16. Everything is working and updated to the latest firmware but i have this weird problem, i'd connected my modem to RT-N16 its working, i can go online but in RT-N16 main page it shows "You have set the wrong dynamic or static IP address for your RT-N16." and it shows disconnected on connection status there. Anyone can help me with this?

I'm using uMobile broadband on ZTE MF600 modem which connect to RT-N16 using ethernet cable.
Kindly pls set the unit as access point mode not router mode
TSMX510
post Oct 27 2010, 01:02 AM

4,032 posts

QUOTE(bL4cK_73dDy @ Oct 26 2010, 10:39 PM)
I see, and really thanks alot for the quick reply MX510, appreciate  notworthy.gif  notworthy.gif  notworthy.gif
By the way, in what situation we'll need to use router mode?

Edit: just checked my setting its on broadband share mode, not usable on this mode as well?
Router mode is used when the router is connected directly with ADSL modem ppoe / ppoa mode :-)

For ur case u must use access point mode

Once u use this mode all devices connected to it will have internet same like broadband share mode

4 Pages  1 2 3 > » Top

Change to:
| Lo-Fi Version
0.0589sec    0.47    7 queries    GZIP Disabled
Time is now: 29th March 2024 - 11:37 PM