Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Bump Topic Topic Closed RSS Feed

Outline · [ Standard ] · Linear+

Samsung Galaxy S I9000 Official Thread V2, FAQ at first post.

views

bunnymaker
post Jul 19 2010, 12:54 PM

Getting Started
83 posts

I called Maxis to enquire about any further roadshows, but they said no more for West Coast, only left East Coast, Sabah & Sarawak only. But one guy told me that now their current promotion is discount on Android casing for the phone, but he doesn't seem to know the details. Can anyone shed some light?

TIA smile.gif

Added on July 19, 2010, 12:56 pm
QUOTE(x132755 @ Jul 19 2010, 12:53 PM)
yes..
they signed up the contract with samsung ..
only they can sell  sweat.gif
I think Samsung will start selling in a few months, because I got Samsung's newsletter for the Samsung Galaxy S Life competition, have to make a video, 3 SGS to be won. In the brochure, the RRP is also RM2599, so get the phone from Maxis + data plan still cheaper than buying from Samsung/other sellers + data plan, unless one doesn't want the data plan, of course.

This post has been edited by bunnymaker: Jul 19 2010, 12:56 PM
bunnymaker
post Jul 19 2010, 03:56 PM

Getting Started
83 posts

QUOTE(Gr3yL3gion @ Jul 19 2010, 03:49 PM)
Wanna ask, is Samsung's phone durable as in being in good condition and usable after 2 years at least.

I was thinking of buying Galaxy S instead of Iphone but most of my friends are against it.

They say while the phone was funky Samsung's have a reputation of making phone that couldn't last more than 2 years without having serious issue.
My first Samsung phone lasted 3 years, then it died completely. Cannot revive. I lent it to my friend after I got a new phone, and it died in his care, so I have no idea what happened there.

My second Samsung phone just passed the 2 year mark, but now the speakers are giving me problems - sometimes it'll work, sometimes it won't. This was after 2 years of dropping from various heights, so I'm quite thankful it held out till now, and it gives me the perfect reason to get the SGS. tongue.gif

This post has been edited by bunnymaker: Jul 19 2010, 03:57 PM
bunnymaker
post Jul 19 2010, 04:01 PM

Getting Started
83 posts

QUOTE(ryanlaw.cs @ Jul 19 2010, 03:58 PM)
haha. my first samsung phone was SGH-S300 clampshell, was so durable...
My first one was a clamshell also, forgot which model already. tongue.gif

Honestly though, I find Samsung phones quite good, which is why I'm getting the SGS. My friend dropped her Nokia on the road once, and the next thing you know, half the phonebook is missing. sweat.gif
bunnymaker
post Jul 19 2010, 10:59 PM

Getting Started
83 posts

Woohoo just got my SGS from Maxis centre KLCC today. biggrin.gif Heard that Gardens Maxis centre sold out already. When I was there, got at least 3 persons who bought at the same time. Quite an impressive record.
bunnymaker
post Jul 20 2010, 01:35 AM

Getting Started
83 posts

I installed APNdroid but even after I toggled the 3g/GPRS/EDGE on to green light, I still can't connect! The notification bar is showing HSDPA, but there's no movement. Help!.

Also, I noticed if I toggle 3g on when I'm on wifi, then turn off wifi, the 3g connection will work fine, but if I toggle 3g on when my wifi is off, then I can't connect using 3g. anyone knows why? sad.gif
TIA

Update: Ok, I think it's solved for the time being. Let's hope it'll stay that way! smile.gif

This post has been edited by bunnymaker: Jul 20 2010, 08:10 AM
bunnymaker
post Jul 20 2010, 02:46 PM

Getting Started
83 posts

QUOTE(bunnymaker @ Jul 20 2010, 01:35 AM)
I installed APNdroid but even after I toggled the 3g/GPRS/EDGE on to green light, I still can't connect! The notification bar is showing HSDPA, but there's no movement. Help!.

Also, I noticed if I toggle 3g on when I'm on wifi, then turn off wifi, the 3g connection will work fine, but if I toggle 3g on when my wifi is off, then I can't connect using 3g. anyone knows why? sad.gif
TIA

Update: Ok, I think it's solved for the time being. Let's hope it'll stay that way! smile.gif
Argh! My 3g stopped working again, even after toggling APNdroid on! sad.gif Before I installed APNdroid, 3g was working perfectly. Is there something buggy with the app? Or am I doing something wrong? sad.gif icon_question.gif

Thanks.
bunnymaker
post Jul 20 2010, 10:57 PM

Getting Started
83 posts

QUOTE(fongkarseong @ Jul 20 2010, 09:46 PM)
Hi SGS user,

I don't know you guys facing the same problem as me before or not.
Is been a while happen to me but until now also can't get the solution.

The scenario is:-

1) I disable APN
2) On WIFI
3) By On the WIFI and disable the APN about 1 hour.....
4) Then off the WIFI and enable back the APN...
5) 2G/3G icon cannot appear... due to Android 2.1 bugs. So enable flight mode and disable flight mode. 2G/3G icon appear back.
6) Icon appeared but cannot connect to web and sync due to failure to connect network data.The 2 small up/down arrow inside the 2G/3G icon never indicated.
7) Leave in alone more then 2 hours, still the same... cannot connect to web due to failure connect network data.
8) Can make call and sms but no data transfer.
9) Until I restart the phone then only back to normal.

So... do you guys encounter this problem?

Note: My phone stock F/W,
        Used APNdroid, quick setting apps and stock apps to enable the 2G/3G also can't solve.

THE ONLY SOLUTION IS RESTART PHONE!!!!

Any ideas?? Can help? icon_question.gif
I also had the same problem with APNdroid. After I uninstalled APNdroid, I restore my APN settings back to default under Wireless and Network -> Mobile Networks, which kickstarted my 3g again. Then I installed APN on/off widget instead of APNdroid, worked well for me. But now I'm testing out Andromax, so using the inbuilt 3g toggle at the moment.
bunnymaker
post Jul 21 2010, 04:31 PM

Getting Started
83 posts

Got a tweet from @SamsungFirmware that Froyo is expected to be released in September! biggrin.gif biggrin.gif

Like i told you September Android 2.2 updates Galaxy S. Europe and Asia first.
19 minutes ago via web

Edit: Hmmmm...I don't think this is an official Samsung twitter account, but let's hope he knows what he's talking about tongue.gif

This post has been edited by bunnymaker: Jul 21 2010, 04:33 PM
bunnymaker
post Jul 21 2010, 11:20 PM

Getting Started
83 posts

QUOTE(dannyng @ Jul 21 2010, 10:10 PM)
Dear All,

I'm very new to Android and Samsung. Few question;

1) How do I exit the program, is it press Home key, the program will exit? And is it true if I press back key, the program still running back gorund?
2) How do I see a list of program running back ground?
3) How do I go to Android market? When click on the Market icon and it ask me "set up google account'. Is it I need to setup anoint before going to Android Market?
4) I down load Kies and it seems that I cannot connect to my Samsung, anything I need to do?

Sorry, maybe the above is noob question.

Cheers,,

Danny
Hey, I'm also very new, just got my phone a few days ago. Will help you with what I know. smile.gif

1.yeah, the app will continue running so that if you access it later, it will start up quicker. I usually go to Settings-> Applications-> Running Services to manually close.

2. You can add the Running Services widget to your dock if you're using Launcher pro. Not sure about Touchwiz cos I've never used it from the start. tongue.gif I also installed Task Switcher app to see active apps and switch between them without going back to Home screen.

3. I set up using my gmail account then can access already. It's a one-off setup.

4. Kies can only detect your phone if it's using Touchwiz, so you'll have to switch back before connecting.

Hope it helps. smile.gif

This post has been edited by bunnymaker: Jul 21 2010, 11:21 PM
bunnymaker
post Jul 22 2010, 01:13 PM

Getting Started
83 posts

QUOTE(jujx @ Jul 22 2010, 01:02 PM)
you need to repeat few times the cycle before the battery goes to full potential. Charge full, use until finish, charge full again
I got my phone on Monday, and have been charging it everyday since then tongue.gif Can't stop fiddling with it! Am seriously thinking of buying an extra battery because I will use the Aldiko ebook app quite heavily tongue.gif No fun if reading halfway, then low batt. tongue.gif

bunnymaker
post Jul 22 2010, 02:34 PM

Getting Started
83 posts

QUOTE(chewlee @ Jul 22 2010, 02:15 PM)
Everyone, how long is your warranty period?

I bought mine last saturday from ikano roadshow, the roadshow guy told me no more 12+6 mths warranty. Is that true? Those bought the sgs from maxis centre, how long is your warranty?
I called Samsung Customer Care (1800889999) and they told me it's only 12 months warranty. sad.gif They never had 12+6, so I'm not sure where the Maxis people got the info from.
bunnymaker
post Jul 22 2010, 04:10 PM

Getting Started
83 posts

This is a really noob question, but does anyone know how to insert/attach numbers into the sms?

Thanks!
bunnymaker
post Jul 22 2010, 04:15 PM

Getting Started
83 posts

QUOTE(MYstombox @ Jul 22 2010, 04:10 PM)
Not rooted. Mine stock is this kernel

Added on July 22, 2010, 4:11 pm

Using handcent, right button, attach, select contact
I'm using the default messaging system, but the steps are the same, only I have to click the left menu key. Thanks!! biggrin.gif
bunnymaker
post Jul 22 2010, 05:01 PM

Getting Started
83 posts

Anyone using the default Calendar widget? How do I change the alarm tone? I tried going through the settings, but there's no option to do so. sad.gif
bunnymaker
post Jul 22 2010, 06:06 PM

Getting Started
83 posts

QUOTE(naTTan @ Jul 22 2010, 06:03 PM)
http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread...ght=demo+videos
Why do you want to disable charging? There is no bad effect and it auto manage itself.
Will it affect battery lifespan if I use the USB connection to transfer files, and then once the transfers are completed, I just unplug it even if it's not fully charged? Or should I leave it to charge fully even if my battery still has "juice" left?

Thanks!
bunnymaker
post Jul 23 2010, 03:20 PM

Getting Started
83 posts

QUOTE(en_mizi @ Jul 23 2010, 03:14 PM)
hi all, new sgs owner here. currently, trying to download kies but hardly can't find the useable link. can someone show me the working url pls?

thanks in advance!
You can try this link: http://www.samsung.com/ae/consumer/mobile-...ail&tab=support

I just googled it randomly, not sure if it works. tongue.gif
bunnymaker
post Jul 23 2010, 09:38 PM

Getting Started
83 posts

I think my laptop can put in cold storage edi. Surfing on the SGS while lying in bed is so much more comfortable than hunching over the lappie. tongue.gif
bunnymaker
post Jul 24 2010, 12:23 AM

Getting Started
83 posts

just wondering, is it necessary to install antivirus app on the phone? And is it really effective?

Thanks!
bunnymaker
post Jul 24 2010, 01:09 AM

Getting Started
83 posts

QUOTE(AceOfSpades @ Jul 24 2010, 01:03 AM)
Is there any option on the phone that lets you off your data usage when you go on roaming?
Yes, there is an option to enable or disable data roaming under settings->mobile network.

bunnymaker
post Jul 24 2010, 11:13 PM

Getting Started
83 posts

Hey all, I downloaded this app that had a "tattoo" on my privaxy lock screen. After uninstalling and doing a factory reset, it is still there, so I emailed the creators and was told to "reboot" the phone.

What is reboot actually? Is it the same as switching off and on again? If not, will rebooting cause me to lose apps, data and settings just like factory reset?

Hope to get my phone back to looking normal sad.gif Thanks!

2 Pages  1 2 >Top
Topic ClosedOptions

Change to:
| Lo-Fi Version
0.0419sec    0.49    7 queries    GZIP Disabled
Time is now: 29th March 2024 - 04:34 PM