Disk Partition Recovery, When BASIC becomes DYNAMIC suddenly

views

lex
post Apr 22 2005, 01:52 AM

Old Am I?
Group Icon
VIP
18,182 posts

I'm kinda caught by this weird problems of drives reverting to Dynamic disks. blink.gif

I suspect it could be the use of SATA hard drive. Possibly the SATA RAID driver bugs or operating system bugs which a "new drive" (if not recognized) will be converted to dynamic disk setup (this is similar to NRAID configuration). sweat.gif

For those who did not encounter this problem yet, I suggest not to install any SATA RAID drivers but just the normal SATA drivers instead (most manufacturers have 2 driver versions - one for RAID and the other for non-RAID setup). unsure.gif

Another thing to watch out for is disk spanning (used for dynamic disk setups) also... If you are not using it, then disable this. blush.gif

So far I had 6 external USB HDDs (and all Seagates inside) and none of them had exhibit these kind of problems. smile.gif

Anyway.. WHAT brand and model is that external HDD case? rolleyes.gif

There is a data recovery service in Low Yat though, on the 3rd floor. Its called SCS-Myung. I suggest you ask for pricing first before trying it.. it may be quite expensive. sweat.gif

Reference: http://www.scs-myung.com/

Anyway would like to ask a few questions here:

Which WinXP operating system are you using?
1. Home Edition
2. Pro Edition
3. Corporate Edition

What Serive Pack are you using?
1. No Service Pack installed
2. Pre-Installed SP1 (comes with the WinXP)
3. Updated to SP1
4. Updated to SP2

Did you intsall any drive utilities such as Norton Utilities?

Did you install any drive auto-defragment utilities like "Disk Keeper"?

Can you list down your detailed full PC hardware specifications?

For research.. need to know if there are similarities in these cases. rolleyes.gif

This post has been edited by lex: Feb 12 2006, 06:31 PM
lex
post Apr 25 2005, 02:35 AM

Old Am I?
Group Icon
VIP
18,182 posts

From what I gather from other forum.. This issue of drives being assigned by Windows XP as dynamic disks arise when the drive letter assigned is used by another drive (usually a fixed drive) already installed. Since the drive already exists, then Windows XP doesn't know what do with it and re-assigns it as dynamic disk (because having the same drive letter). wacko.gif

What was the drive letter assigned to your drive before it suddenly became dynamic disk? unsure.gif
lex
post Dec 29 2005, 01:01 PM

Old Am I?
Group Icon
VIP
18,182 posts

QUOTE(dinodog_Jr @ Dec 28 2005, 10:33 AM)
then, i followed u guys getting the Stellar. I still cannot accesed the SPoilt 2.5HDD.
Most data recovery software works properly with internal IDE interface, and do not usually work with external USB and/or Firewire drives. wink.gif

QUOTE(dinodog_Jr @ Dec 28 2005, 10:33 AM)
So, how am i supposed to "detect" my Spoilt 2.5HDD wif Stellar?
Connect into CPU? But the Pin socket is not match btwn 3.5 wif 2.5.
Refer to your thread here: Seagate EXT 2.5 HDD no Respond anymore~, Due to UN-Safety remove too many times. You can buy a 2.5 to 3.5 IDE adaptor to use it as an internal IDE drive on your desktop PC. cool.gif
lex
post Apr 10 2006, 01:06 PM

Old Am I?
Group Icon
VIP
18,182 posts

Referring to my recent 160GB HDD "crash" (see pinned thread Eight Ways To Kill Your HDD, About what NOT to do to prolong HDD life, Post #139) no thanks to my old ASUS CDRW, I've used Ontrack Easy Recovery and managed to recover almost all of my files out of that drive. sweat.gif

Actually, I had another copy of most of the files in that drive already (redundancy, using another HDD) but I needed to recover files that were added recently. thumbup.gif

Recovery success very much depends very much on the type of drive failure. In my case, it was some bad sectors (ie. probably head touching the media induced by vibrations from my old CDRW) while the SMART status shows OK. wink.gif

This post has been edited by lex: May 11 2006, 04:47 PM
lex
post May 5 2006, 02:29 PM

Old Am I?
Group Icon
VIP
18,182 posts

BEWARE!

I have noticed quite a number of people bought "Maxtor QuickView" drives for use with their desktop PCs (and/or for external data storage). Please beware that these drives are NOT meant for proper data storage purposes! Please check the following statement in BOLD RED (source: Maxtor QuickView Hard Drives - Built for your DVR, PVR and Consumer Electronics Devices):
QuickView drives have a few key differences from normal desktop drives that make them far superior to desktop drives for PVR usage:

* Thermal Control: On board sensors monitor temperature and adjust characteristics as necessary to keep the temperature optimal.
    * Durability: These drives run at 7200 RPM - more than fast enough for every PVR (providing about three times the necessary peak throughput) but not fast enough to wear out sooner.
    * Acoustic Management: Maxtor QuickView drives are specially tuned to run as quietly as possible.
    * A/V Streaming: QuickView drives have been optimized and tuned to provide consistent data to the PVR processor. Standard desktop drives can hang while retrying drive reads - QuickView drives know to move ahead and provide more data to keep video smooth.
    * Error Recovery: Desktop drives retry on errors to make sure that your Excel spreadsheet is exactly right - it's imperative. But when watching video, if one block of data is bad, you may not even notice a dark spot on one frame for 1/30th of a second. So these drives are tuned to move past errors faster, putting the stream of data as top priority. Where desktop drives often cause stutters, these drives run smooth.
Regards. wink.gif

This post has been edited by lex: May 5 2006, 02:31 PM

Change to:
| Lo-Fi Version
0.0413sec    0.29    7 queries    GZIP Disabled
Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 05:21 PM