Garmin vs Papago

views

SUSOptiplex330
post Jul 2 2011, 08:28 PM

10k Club
12,696 posts

QUOTE(BboyDora @ Jul 2 2011, 06:25 PM)
tumpang thread..

After my research.. most GPS , I mean stand alone, the price is ranged from RM 370++ to RM 1000 ++..

wanna know is there any that below RM 300?

Noob here biggrin.gif
I have never used any standalone GPS but I can go everywhere I wanted to go with my phone GPS. So I reckon, the most cost effective way is to get a smartphone with big screen, get a in car charger and you are good to go. Furthermore, the smartphone can be your office on wheel running Office document, listen to music, watch movies, play games and oh....also make phone calls.

SUSOptiplex330
post Jul 4 2011, 08:06 AM

10k Club
12,696 posts

QUOTE(BboyDora @ Jul 3 2011, 03:21 PM)
Actually last time I used before phone + GPS... but not so responsive ( end up miss some turning and get lost). this is the reason I wish to get a GPS stand alone.

I`m currently using iphone 4 also but dunno which apps is good. any recommendation?
Is it due to:
1. Lousy map or out of date maps?
2. Slow in calculating routes?

SUSOptiplex330
post Jul 7 2011, 10:33 AM

10k Club
12,696 posts

QUOTE(Dannyl @ Jul 7 2011, 10:25 AM)
What if your destination is not found in the map?  I've experienced it before.  Want to visit new property area, don't know how to go.  Searched Ovi Maps, blank area.  Google Maps, blank area.  Enter area name into Papago, BAM, it shows me the way.  This is a very important factor for me, because usually I use GPS for unplanned trips.  If planned, I have other sources like Internet, ask friends, use real maps, etc.

Tip:  don't use Papago to lock onto the GPS, use another software, then switch to Papago.  No problems every time.
If my map don't show anything, then I will my switch my OVI Maps to "Walk" mode and use the compass to show me the direction in a straight line & distance to final destination. And believe me, some of the places I go, I doubt even Malfree map got map because there are no physical road in the 1st place, only dirt track.
SUSOptiplex330
post Jul 7 2011, 12:42 PM

10k Club
12,696 posts

QUOTE(stimix @ Jul 7 2011, 12:22 PM)
Bro, be more positive.. give me the cooridnate & I show you...You should give malfreemaps a try  smile.gif All the hard working ppl going MTB, $WD entering those dirt tracks..well not all but keep on expanding  smile.gif
2.841915, 112.150223
2.130096, 111.342584 Wharf

SUSOptiplex330
post Jul 7 2011, 03:21 PM

10k Club
12,696 posts

QUOTE(Dannyl @ Jul 7 2011, 03:01 PM)
What direction?  What destination?  Can't find the place, don't know where it is, how to find it on Ovi Maps?
It only work if you already know the coordinates.

SUSOptiplex330
post Jul 7 2011, 03:51 PM

10k Club
12,696 posts

QUOTE(stimix @ Jul 7 2011, 03:43 PM)
This one any GPS navigator also can liao lor..just key in the coordinate & just follow the way there wth a compass  biggrin.gif .

Bro, you really need to try out other navigator lor...dun only stick to only one, there are pros & cons on others too..Now I'm really tempted on Sygic liao haha drool.gif Just hope malfreemaps in future able to work wth them  notworthy.gif
[attachmentid=2317367][attachmentid=2317368]
I actually started off with Nokia Maps and Garmin. But I like the UI of Maps better and stick with that. Beside, after I reset the phone, the Garmin had become inoperable so never bother since. For me, as long as it can get me from A to B, it's fine with me.
SUSOptiplex330
post Jul 7 2011, 05:55 PM

10k Club
12,696 posts

Ya, may be it's about time to have a relook at Garmin but unfortunately, it is no longer working in my phone.

How much is the original Garmin XT? Can it only be installed in 1 phone or multiple phone?
SUSOptiplex330
post Jul 9 2011, 06:38 AM

10k Club
12,696 posts

QUOTE(stimix @ Jul 8 2011, 11:22 PM)
BTW, if it's Garmin (esp those running on Symbian or Winmo platform, there's maps available either malfreemaps or malsingmaps. So do not confuse ppl saying there is no free M'sia maps for GarminĀ  smile.gif
Can you get free maps of other countries that Garmin can read? Are there things like Australiafreemaps or Chinafreemaps made by community that's free likeMalfreemaps?

Added on July 9, 2011, 1:19 pm
QUOTE(stimix @ Jul 7 2011, 06:54 PM)
Garmin no longer support any platform except their own Asus-Garmin dy..Currently Only Symbian & Windows mobile phone able to install this however Nokia S60 & S^3 having 2 bugs still yet to fix 7 no longer any support to rectify the bugs. However still can be used.

You can't buy this Garmin MXT anymore & hv to look for unker google help liao..or..
I just checked with Garmin website. Seems like they have one for Blackberry. Buying software is an one-off thing but the maps are expensive costing USD150 per region.

Added on July 10, 2011, 8:09 pm
QUOTE(stimix @ Jul 5 2011, 04:30 PM)
Other than Garmin & Papago which having weekly & Monthly updates respectively from malfreemaps or malsingmaps (For Garmin wth Junction view), Other Navigators are really pain in the ass...Even Ovimaps..superior interm of UI & etc but lack in road & POIs..
I compared Garmin with OVI and found:

1. OVI seems to be able to start calculating route faster from the word 'go'. This is expected because of better integration since hardware and software are from the same manufacturer.

2. There is an 20+ years old housing estate bitumen road and surprise surprise, OVI shows the road but latest Malfreemap say no road. Beside that one surprise I encountered, I find Malfreemaps generally having more road coverage.

3. Search function on Garmin is vastly superior. But both can't search using coordinate without creating Landmark or My Location first.

4. OVI seems to give more precise turn-by-turn instruction and when you are just about to turn, it will tell you to turn. While Garmin does give advanced turn instruction but at the precise moment of turning, it sometimes kept totally quiet.

5. Garmin seems to be able to lock onto satellite a split second faster. Both on AGPS.

6. Without saying, malfreemaps has tons of POI whereas OVI only have a few kilogram. But personal view says OVI UI is nicer.

7. May be I don't know how with Garmin but with OVI, I can switch to Satellite views if I wanted to.

8. Garmin allows you to send your location to friends via SMS but not OVI.

This post has been edited by Optiplex330: Jul 10 2011, 09:45 PM
SUSOptiplex330
post Jul 11 2011, 06:31 AM

10k Club
12,696 posts

QUOTE(jigc @ Jul 10 2011, 11:45 PM)

i've travelled to china and HK with garmin xt on 5800.
she never failed me.
You got free map for China or do you have to pay? If free, where?

SUSOptiplex330
post Jul 11 2011, 10:36 PM

10k Club
12,696 posts

QUOTE(jigc @ Jul 11 2011, 09:49 PM)
This sure is very interesting indeed. Thanks.

But since it Garmin only work in Symbian and BB, I guess still stuck with these 2 phones.

SUSOptiplex330
post Jul 12 2011, 06:29 AM

10k Club
12,696 posts

QUOTE(stimix @ Jul 12 2011, 12:01 AM)
On your comparison, not a suprise..I found lotsa OLDER roads not in malfreemaps too and lotsa backlanes, sidelanes & factory roads on ovimaps but not in malfreemaps.. reason been..those roads probably not useable anymore, no one track those roads, guarded by guards, & lotsa obstacles that trackers can't enter... smile.gifĀ  teleatlas, the maps supplier for Ovimaps probably traced those roads from Googlemaps/google earth & draw...Well lotsa errors bcos googlemaps having alliggnment error & certain roads already no longer there but they still traced it.Ā  smile.gif

Malfreemaps based on contribution & lotsa new areas..are awaiting tracker/mappers to tracks & they do have lotsa volunteers there...inc me hahaĀ  biggrin.gif
Recently I found more road missing (or incomplete meaning it is supposed to join up to a major road but it just stop halfway for no apparent reason) in Malfreemaps but are in OVI maps and these roads are still in active use by the general public and in constant repair by the local authorities. If indeed OVI uses Google maps to draw those road, why can't Malfreemaps?

As for voice instruction, I am beginning to conclude OVI may indeed be superior.

As for contribution, I would like to but don't know how. Seen some instruction but too technical for newbies like me. I sure would like to fix those missing roads. And some of those mainly community build rural non-bitumen road I frequented that is not on any map.

This post has been edited by Optiplex330: Jul 12 2011, 06:52 AM
SUSOptiplex330
post Jul 12 2011, 08:22 AM

10k Club
12,696 posts

QUOTE(stimix @ Jul 12 2011, 07:24 AM)
Can be traceb but not accurate lor bcos of the alignment. Well depending on mapper wehther free to draw or not. contributed tracks is more valued compare to google maps trace. & certain backlanes & factories roads actually not really useful & thus excluded (Not all). Overall, on latest new roads- & whole urban areas in Malaysia - malfreemaps superior but on very old, factory road, backlanes - Ovimaps.

Voice instruction- Yes ovimaps better but Routing error is terrible in ovimaps lor & the fact or the major new highways & etc not in the maps..

Yeah those community built roads in rural areas should be included...BTW, to contribute using your nokia, try race chrono or sport tracker on how to record GPS track...thereafter the recorded track can be contribute. also you can DL free the Garmin - Mapsource to replay your recorded track and view it or even playback on google maps/ google earth
LOL I have Sport Tracker but never use. I thought it's only suitable for short running track and didn't know it can be used to record long.....say 50 or 100-km driving distance.

On voice instruction. I just found how bad Garmin can be. For example, it told me to turn left and a split second later, told me to keep right rclxub.gif

Not to say there are no mistakes with OVI but those are typically telling you to take the longer way but at least it's less confusing.

This post has been edited by Optiplex330: Jul 12 2011, 09:25 AM
SUSOptiplex330
post Jul 12 2011, 09:39 AM

10k Club
12,696 posts

QUOTE(aspire2oo6 @ Jul 12 2011, 09:24 AM)
My fren house is not in ovi maps. When I was there once I got a locked it show me I am middle of no where. Here garmin is up to date
How old are are these housing estate? So far, those I found that are not shown on Malfreemaps are all over 20 to 30 years old housing estate road, still in constant use and non-gated. Of course ignoring those brand new estates that are not shown on both OVI and Malfreemaps

This post has been edited by Optiplex330: Jul 12 2011, 09:43 AM
SUSOptiplex330
post Jul 12 2011, 11:21 PM

10k Club
12,696 posts

I got another potentially dangerous voice navigation from Garmin tonight.

Dual lane road. 1st got incomplete instruction, only heard the word "left". A second later, I heard the instruction "turn right"......

If I had went to left lane as first instructed and immediately had to turn right (mere 20 meters away), then I would have to immediately cut cross the lane to my right to turn right. It could had ended in an accident by hitting the car on the right lane. Luckily I was just testing Garmin on road I am very familiar with.

In this particular case, Turn Right is the correction direction and I don't know why it said "left" initially.

IMO, Garmin XT definitely got inferior voice navigation compared to OVI V3.04.

I also suspect it also has inferior routing but need further checking out.

SUSOptiplex330
post Jul 13 2011, 08:16 AM

10k Club
12,696 posts

QUOTE(stimix @ Jul 13 2011, 07:10 AM)
Inferior voice yes on Garmin bcos I luv the graphic & also the voice on Ovi but routing no way inferior lor..Ovi routing is the one dissapoint me few times liao haha
Which version OVI were you using before? Mine is 3.04
SUSOptiplex330
post Jul 13 2011, 09:44 AM

10k Club
12,696 posts

QUOTE(Dannyl @ Jul 13 2011, 08:32 AM)
Err.. nothing wrong with turning left then keeping right, yes?
My mistake. It ask me to keep right and then turn left on a dual lane carriage.

SUSOptiplex330
post Jul 13 2011, 12:11 PM

10k Club
12,696 posts

QUOTE(buntutwoman @ Jul 13 2011, 10:44 AM)
ovimaps sux from the beginning of time till now over here in m'sia/sg/indon/thai
between garmin and papago i still like garmin. only thing that kills my patience is the stuff i told u long long time ago about the poi searches.
for poi searches i still like papago's predictive and indexed tabs. fast. for browsing of poi's i'd still use garmin.

yea i saw sygic. not really fantastic yet but they are heavily improving. next time we yam cha i show u igo primo's latest tech. got hold of it not too long ago.
I lot of people says that and may be the older version suck but definitely not the newer version OVI 3.04.

Having heard so many great things about Garmin and how lousy is OVI, I decided to try both out and I can tell you for sure Garmin's voice navigation is no where as good as OVI. So if OVI suck, then Garmin super suck because it can be super dangerous by giving conflicting instruction or no instruction when you expected it to.

The No.1 problem with OVI is the maps, it does not have many POI comapred to Malfreemaps (honor should go to Malfreemaps and not to Garmin). OVI is now available on iPhone and Andriod and should OVI decided to let the community input POI, it will be very positive development for everybody.

SUSOptiplex330
post Jul 13 2011, 01:07 PM

10k Club
12,696 posts

QUOTE(buntutwoman @ Jul 13 2011, 12:36 PM)
voice navigation should provide clear cut instructions, and when in doubt , go for visual confirmation. usually seasoned veterans do both as the guidance to the next turn and the turn after that is needed. you as a newbie should begin that principle and understanding it.
this problem is easily rectified if the retailer or the seller guides the person who made the purchase. Not many are capable and professional. They just sell without providing proper usage instructions.

and Ovi maps i have to say again, is lousy. Whether last time or now it is still lousy to me. What was rubbish for SEA is still lousy for SEA now.

as far as voice navigation goes, the clear cut instructions are handed down perfectly well by all. it is how the user interprets it. I personally love tomtom as i'm very used to it. Some find papago annoying and long winded, some love the clear cut instructions from it. At the end of the day, is whether the user can interpret it or not and how fast.

If POI's are your major concern then it shows how much of a newbie you are. So listen to me and listen to me well. the purpose of a navigational unit is to bring you there. Without POI's you can still do a search using road names. It's not difficult to use your eyes to lookout for where the specific shop or place you are looking for is; on that road. The main purpose of POI is to guide and plot for necessary centres such as police stations, clinics and banks and other important locations.

The most important factor in getting a good map, is the routing. How it routes you, is the #1 factor that determines and makes a good map. No point of buying something that routes you and forces you to go on the opposite direction of a 1 way street now is it ?
As an ex-mapper of MFM , i will gladly tell you that the strength of MFM is in its routing system, NOT the number of POI's it has. That would be secondary.
You may like to reinvent the wheel but normal people don't so listen to me well. While we can indeed find the coordinates by doing some research on the Internet before leaving home, it is far easier if those POI are already in the map because otherwise, it would not be called "Point of Interest", would it? And for tourist like me, Point of Interest means famous sightseeing landmark and nice restaurant, not finding police station and clinic like you do.

As for voice instruction, you acknowlege it should be clear cut so stop making excuses to defend Garmin when it doesn't. Now tell me, how do you interprete "Left" and a mere second later (not 5 seconds later), "turn Right" sounded to you on a multi lane road? Furthermore, the turn is a mere 20+meters away making taking immediate action dangerous. This is clearly a instruction problem and not a interpretation problem. Visual and audio works hand in hand in navigation. To take eyes off the road is dangerous. Do you actually drive a car?

This post has been edited by Optiplex330: Jul 13 2011, 01:32 PM
SUSOptiplex330
post Jul 13 2011, 02:50 PM

10k Club
12,696 posts

QUOTE(buntutwoman @ Jul 13 2011, 01:49 PM)
point of interests. NOT the points of YOUR interests.

and like is said, this is all user problem so it is your problem.

If you think there is an issue with voice guidance via MFM maps, do lodge a report for that particular section with co-ordinates provided and a brief explanation to your encounter. Your issue will be considered and sent for verification and resolve as best as they can.

I have no idea which section you are talking about and since stimix is here you can report to him on that section. Just give him the co-ordinates to your encounter.

And again i will repeat to you on the same matter. A seasoned user will rely on audio interpretation first and then use visual for confirmation. Doing both together is unadvisable.

You say visual and audio works hand in hand, yet you say taking your eyes off the road is dangerous. So what message are you trying to relay to me ? Is it the fact that we have to see and hear the gps ? or the fact that we should just hear and not see as per your 2nd statement ? You are confused and you are confusing me.

And no, i do not drive a car. But i can bet you my bike is a lot more expensive than your car.
I don't care what is your interest. I only care about what the general public interest is, hence the word "Point of Interest" and why I uses it.

The Malfreemaps looks fine to me. It has the road correctly shown on the map so stop dragging those mapper into it. My limited knowledge seems to indicate it is the navigation software (Garmin) being the problem and not the map. Point is, voice navigation should be correct and you are merely finding indefensible excuse as to why it doesn't have to be correct (because you should also see map to verify).

A responsible driver will get a co-driver to look at the map but I bet you don't know what the word "co-driver" and "responsible' mean. People like you are a menace to other drivers.

SUSOptiplex330
post Jul 13 2011, 03:08 PM

10k Club
12,696 posts

QUOTE(stimix @ Jul 13 2011, 02:53 PM)
I also semi retire liao there...Only cycle once in blue moon to collect tracklogs haha..That also few mths once..not as active like last time..

Haha...damn you making feel guilty for not updating those outstanding contributed POIs... Nowadays, getting more POIS sy..damn crowded and even Ah Cong, Ali & Muthu sdn Bhd also in the maps....Will be very difficult to maintain esp those co/restaurant chaplap....

BTW, Oldboy Bdr Puteri chaplap liao..no more Teh si special liao
And too much POI is making the phone uncomfortably slow. Is there a way of deleting some of those POI in our phone's Malfreemaps and only leaving those we are interested in?

Or is there a way of downloading those POI onto our computer, do some deletion and then transfer it back to my phone's OVI?

Added on July 13, 2011, 3:10 pm
QUOTE(buntutwoman @ Jul 13 2011, 02:58 PM)
no idea what tokking u, go play far far ok ?
So kid, what are you going to do about it if I stay? Cry to mama? Get real...

This post has been edited by Optiplex330: Jul 13 2011, 03:11 PM

2 Pages  1 2 >Top

Change to:
| Lo-Fi Version
0.0395sec    0.16    7 queries    GZIP Disabled
Time is now: 29th March 2024 - 03:12 AM