cherroy
post Jul 19 2010, 11:42 AM

20k VIP Club
Group Icon
Staff
25,759 posts

QUOTE(guanteik @ Jul 19 2010, 09:28 AM)
DCA is not rubbish as said.

1. We cannot time the market, we can only predict. Most UT products invest into stocks market, voilatility is there.
2. My strategy for DCA - when market is blooming, I stopped DCA or invest less. When market is down, I do DCA. 3. Everyone has got their own investment strategy. Remember, buy low sell high. Do figure it out.
Then, it is not DCA. biggrin.gif

My view.
I don't like DCA mainly due to the fact it only benefit agent only. aka like what gark had said stready income for them only.
Don't purely look at data, performance given or published by the UT company or brokers alone. Some poor performance data may brushed aside or not even mentioning when introducing you about UT or DCA.
We need to assess across, in fact, the most important is to look at the past data those poor performing fund one. Simply look at the several best fund as supporting factor to buy UT is never a good practice.
Don't get me wrong, I am not saying UT not good.
Just personally view that a rigid DCA is never a good strategy.

Investment shouldn't be too rigid to start with.
Although we cannot time the market, common sense tell us after market had surged 50% to 100% over last year, market unlikely able to repeat last year performance again (although we cannot rule out 100%, but the chance is remote).
cherroy
post Jul 19 2010, 11:50 AM

20k VIP Club
Group Icon
Staff
25,759 posts

QUOTE(elvenchou1987 @ Jul 14 2010, 11:11 PM)
First and foremost, I have registered as a new UTC. Therefore, commisions will go under me. This DCA is recommended by my upline. He has showed me his clients progress using this DCA and they have fairly gain some +ve returns over a minimun of 5 years. Therefore, I was quite intrigued by it.

Let me also tell you my situation. I'm 23 this year and very new in investment. If I would invest, this would be my first ever lifetime investment. Therefore, I don't have the knowledge as you all do in homeworks and research. Furthermore, I'm still a student and don't have a passive income. Thus I won't invest much as well. I would love to take this platform to build more confidence in myself and gain more knowledge. Thus is this DCA suitable for me?
Don't merely look at some performance presented to you. Look across and assess more.
There are hundred of fund out there, anyone can pick a few the best to show you, but those poor one being set aside.
Which is a norm practice across, (not only UT but almost all investment field)

If you have no income and no passive income (I presumed as mentioned as student), DCA is furthermore not suitable.

In fact, you don't need to rush into it, can monitor how well the market or UT performance against market benchmark, or doing some simulation work, as for own assessment and research.
Money is yours, don't rely other words, and others presented data as guideline for investment. Understand your own is the most important factor to start with.
cherroy
post Jul 22 2010, 11:45 AM

20k VIP Club
Group Icon
Staff
25,759 posts

QUOTE(mars1069 @ Jul 22 2010, 11:29 AM)
Hi, I need some advices for my case:

I used my EPF to invest these 2 funds:

PISTF: Invested in 3/Apr/08, as at 21/7/10, earned 25.45% in 2 years+
PISSF: Invested in 1/Aug/08, as at 21/7/10, earned 32.96% in almost 2 years

The return is much better than EPF interest and exceeded my expected earning in interest. So, I'm thinking to park them somewhere to prevent my earning drops and thinking to switch them to these 2 funds again when the price drop in future. My question is Which Fund has less risk and allowed me to switch fund from EPF investment? Bond or money etc? Any idea?

I just applied online account & waiting them to send me the password, thinking to switch the fund myself online coz my agent friend is very sick now, just dun want to trouble her.

Any advise for me? Thanks.
Your timing of entry is good, which enable you to register good profit.

But frankly speaking, if invested during second half of 2008, a profit of 30% is not something very impressive return. (because the bottom form during 2008, and the market rapid recovery during 2009 until now, is something may happen once in a decade or may be longer period or so, which is not usual)
Anyway, there is no such thing of bad profit.

Money market is carrying lesser risk among them, but money market fund return won't exceed the EPF payout dividend rate in general, the most is on par with interest rate only, which stood at 2.75% currently.
Bond fund at current scenario, won't exceed more than 4-5% as well.

cherroy
post Nov 6 2010, 02:56 PM

20k VIP Club
Group Icon
Staff
25,759 posts

Overseas fund doesn't mean perform better than local equity fund, it depends on the nature of the fund, timing of the fund.

Overseas fund like some China related, European/US properties related are still suffering big time.

Some fund launched at 0.25, now 0.18 ~ 0.20, even after 3 years.
Some launched at 1.00 now underwater 0.40~0.80 also got
Some launched at 0.50 now 0.30 also got.

This post has been edited by cherroy: Nov 6 2010, 02:57 PM
cherroy
post Dec 4 2010, 11:46 AM

20k VIP Club
Group Icon
Staff
25,759 posts

QUOTE(gark @ Dec 3 2010, 09:06 AM)
It doesn't matter if the NAV is high or low, the investment stays the same. If you invest RM1000 (excluding sales charge), for example.

if NAV = RM 1 = 1,000 Units x  Rm 1 = RM 1,000
if NAV = RM 25 = 40 Units x Rm 25 = RM 1,000

The total amount is the same regardless, and the future earnings will be the same, so what is the difference? I have invested in funds which each unit is about 100+USD, it has performed better than my PM fund which is RM 0.25 per unit.  rolleyes.gif

Only those who does not understand how UT works worry about unit price and amount of dividend given, these are the tricks of the trade to fool the average investors.  laugh.gif These are the same thinking as some of my friends who says RM 0.10 share is "cheap" and those RM 10+ shares is "expensive" no matter what company is behind it  doh.gif
Yup, bulk 9/10 uninformed investors tend to buy Rm0.10 vs Rm10.00 stock because they view it is "cheap".
That's why a lot of people losing money in stock market as well.

Sometimes, it is not good for UT to split the UT price so low until RM0.25, it is no different with a UT start at RM1.00.

It may give wrong impression to the uninformed investors.

This post has been edited by cherroy: Dec 4 2010, 11:53 AM
cherroy
post Dec 4 2010, 11:49 AM

20k VIP Club
Group Icon
Staff
25,759 posts

QUOTE(rkg38 @ Dec 4 2010, 10:59 AM)
Gark, what u means is unit trust shouldnt declared dividend or invest in UT are not making money??

confuse... rclxub.gif
Invest in UT has one thing to look at only, the NAV increment over time.

Dividend is deducting the NAV to pay you one, while being taxed in the process.

UT is not as same as invest in stock market/individual share directly, whereby dividend in individual stock is meaningful, while UT's dividend is not.
cherroy
post Dec 28 2010, 04:46 PM

20k VIP Club
Group Icon
Staff
25,759 posts

QUOTE(=--ChoonG->> @ Dec 27 2010, 05:24 PM)
David is indeed correct...Most of the China funds are actually way below their NAV right now... I guess just keep in mind that you are investing for the long term...

Oh btw, jeff, i am sure u were prepared to face the risk when you go into Equity fund, rite?
Just for correction, if not some may misunderstand.

The China fund is not way below the NAV.
Not such thing of below NAV in UT.

The current published figure/price is its current NAV.

It is just way below its IPO price.
cherroy
post Dec 29 2010, 03:30 PM

20k VIP Club
Group Icon
Staff
25,759 posts

QUOTE(rkg38 @ Dec 29 2010, 03:23 PM)
most of the guaranteed funds have lock in period...
and if no mistaken, the guaranteed fund is only guaranteed on the amount u invest, not the return...eg, u invested RM5k...they only guarantee after certain period u stil get back RM5k, return not in the guarantee...

correct me if im wrong....
Yes, you are right.

But the real term of guarantee come from the fixed income instrument and portion.

For eg.
A 100K, 3 year period.
You allocated 90K into FD with rate 3.3%,
The rest 10K you go to buy abc in stock market.

In the end of 3 years, the 90K FD become 100K, viola, capital guaranteed.
The rest 10K, if shoot to the roof, add some spice on it.
Worst to worst lose 10K, but still you have 100K from FD.

That's why they generally must have lock in period of 2-3 years above.

This is the basic how capital guaranteed fund work.

This is not a sophiscated fund, and you can do it on your own, by using FD + investment combination ratio to achieve capital guaranteed scenario.

This post has been edited by cherroy: Dec 29 2010, 03:32 PM
cherroy
post Jan 9 2011, 11:30 PM

20k VIP Club
Group Icon
Staff
25,759 posts

QUOTE(David83 @ Jan 9 2011, 10:27 PM)
A lot of research houses are pretty optimistic about KLCI in 2011.

For instance, HwangDBS projects KLCI to hit 1730 by year end.
I seldom see any research and prediction that are pessimistic, this is always a rare breed.
Most 99% of prediction always good one especially when market mood is good time.

Even 18 years ago, I also read before one of prediction/expectation of KLCI will be 1700.
cherroy
post Mar 24 2011, 12:46 AM

20k VIP Club
Group Icon
Staff
25,759 posts

Just to add,
There is 1.5% management fee, which is deducted out from the fund NAV/price.
cherroy
post Mar 24 2011, 01:11 AM

20k VIP Club
Group Icon
Staff
25,759 posts

QUOTE(howszat @ Mar 24 2011, 01:07 AM)
Ignore the 1.5% (or whatever) management fee - it is already built-in (already deducted) from the NAV price. The NAV price is what you see and what you get.

You are only interested in what you actually get, which is the NAV.
Yup, but the understanding of it is a must.
Without management fee, the NAV is 1.5% higher than what we see.
cherroy
post Mar 24 2011, 01:24 AM

20k VIP Club
Group Icon
Staff
25,759 posts

QUOTE(howszat @ Mar 24 2011, 01:20 AM)
May I disagree?

Using the following, some sort of extreme example:

Fund Manager A): 10% management fee, 5% to me.

Fund Manager B): 0.5% management fee, 0.1% to me.

Manager B is "cheaper", but I prefer Fund Manager A.

In other words, I'm only interested in the net returns.
What I meant is not choosing based on management fee charges.
Some hedge fund charge extra-ordinary management and profit sharing if they perform.

This is not what I want to highlight.
What I want to highlight is that, there is charges being imposed on your fund constantly aka the 1.5 management fee.

I am not talking about the performance issue, unrelated, I just want to highlight so that people understanding on the fund charges issue, for the sake of education purposes.
T
cherroy
post Apr 24 2011, 05:15 PM

20k VIP Club
Group Icon
Staff
25,759 posts

QUOTE(koinibler @ Apr 24 2011, 11:56 AM)
Regarding the bold part, is there any hint for us to change to bond?

Right now my indicator is a price of oil barrel wink.gif
Anything above US140 is dangerous laugh.gif
Its okay to do that?

Currently I'm holding 2 equity and no bond yet, and miss the great time 2008 crisis since just join PM in 2011.
Inflation factor is not favourable to bond.

Inflation means need tighten monetory policy, higher interest rate, not favourable to bond.

Topic ClosedOptions

Change to:
| Lo-Fi Version
0.0590sec    0.53    7 queries    GZIP Disabled
Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 09:20 PM