Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Outline · [ Standard ] · Linear+

> Will you spend 10k to go traveling? (Travel)

views

Shazzac
post Dec 9 2010, 10:25 AM

Casual
427 posts

Well, I would definately spend as much as 10k for a trip anywhere. I earn peanuts by the way and people keep asking me 'how come you are always travelling??'

I told them ' because i don't drive a Honda, because i don't buy mont blanc belt, because i don't buy LV/Gucci/Branded bags, becauase i don't wear Zara/MNG/Guess'.

Yes, alot of ppl can afford LV/Gucci stuff but cannot afford a trip outside of Malaysia.

Anyway, I believe that travelling is a very good experience itself. It really opens up your mind on how other country's culture is, on how the locals are etc.

I love travelling so, regardless of the amount. It's well worth it.

I'm good with sourcing for good hotels which aren't really expensive. biggrin.gif
Shazzac
post Dec 10 2010, 09:09 AM

Casual
427 posts

QUOTE(happyshirt @ Dec 9 2010, 02:25 PM)
Well shazzac u raised very good points! Agree. I'm now planning a more expensive trip this year and yeah i hv to cut down on the little extras like u mentioned. and I am going to pay more than 10k for this trip to see what the world has to offer.
Yea, well, feels that life is complete with all the travels rather than feeling complete with life's luxury. I have a mortgage to pay for too. If I am not travelling, there must be seriously something wrong with me!

QUOTE(10&Counting @ Dec 10 2010, 12:59 AM)
Looks like you're set for free travel -  nature of your work, incentive trips, wealthy sponsor etc
And NO, I'm not jealous or envious.
I did too for a few years - got free flights +hotels + food + transfers but that was for work.

Most of the us here forgo a lot like what Shazzac mentioned to be able to go for holidays
It's a choice we choose to enrich our lives by traveling to many different countries.

Yes, I spent more than 10K for my 18 days budget Europe holiday (Nov 2009) Self planned not through travel agents
Am going again next June for about 1 month to Europe and Baltic.
Budget about 22 - 24K. Doing so with own earnings - not free flights and free hotels

To all peanut earners, I salute you. Go travel and enjoy!    notworthy.gif

'TRAVELING DOES NOT SATISFY THE APPETITE, IT INCREASES IT'
Yea, but luckily i'm the type that does not crave luxury items due to peer pressure. And my friends still think I am a 'spoilt rich little girl', just because I travel alot, doesn't mean I'm rich. It means I want it, I just have to save up like crazy! Sheesh.

I hope you have alot of fun during your trip!! biggrin.gif Now need to google where Baltic is located at.

I hope to plan for another trip to either Scotland/Ireland/Scandinavia dunno where else. And also NYC - wonder what the hype is all about. A friend once told me it's more or less very 'KL-ish'.
Shazzac
post Feb 21 2012, 09:29 AM

Casual
427 posts

QUOTE(tishaban @ Feb 21 2012, 02:25 AM)
It's all relative now isn't it? If you make 5-6 figures a month then 10k is insignificant. Problem is when you make lots of money will you have the time to spend on yourself? I have investment banker/private equity friends who make millions but don't have time to spend the money.

Anyway my current US trip is already costing close to 6k... ouch.
I totally agree with you.

US Trip at RM6k, not bad what? Incl. air ticket and accommodation?

I'm in the midst of looking out for a better fare to Barcelona/Madrid - then head on to Portugal for 2.5 weeks. Hope there will be some promotion next month (as currently, most fare promotion are for travel up to June and selling period up to end of Feb). Wish me luck!

I am totally overspending for this year's trip budget having gone to Spain & Portugal in Jan and Seoul next month!
Shazzac
post Feb 21 2012, 09:58 AM

Casual
427 posts

QUOTE(stimix @ Feb 21 2012, 09:49 AM)
No matter how I spent, all my previous trips never exceed RM2k/pax all-in inc of air fare, acc, food, transports & souvenirs..haha..

I'm gonna do the same in my nxt 7D5N Tokyo trip. Right now, I already spent RM900/pax on air fare & prebooked hotel. So budgetting only RM1K/pax on transports, food & souvenirs..haha.. Yeah I think I can achieve it
rclxms.gif thumbup.gif notworthy.gif

I think you are the champion is budget travels lor.

No matter what, I still end up with medium range hotels/b&b if i can find. But currently been sourcing rooms/apartments/flats from www.airbnb.com which saves me a whole lot - being some accommodations are actually very centrally located, hence myself saving on train tickets to go from places to places.

I'm only planning to bring 1mil won to Seoul for my 6 day trip in March. I wonder how can I get it to reduce........ afraid not enough money for food later. ;P The last night in Seoul, will be spent at the airport because my flight is at 8.30am the next day (AAX). Too lazy to rush from city to airport at the earliest hour! I think must wake up at 4.30am to mandi, get ready, breakfast and then 5.30am need to be at train station and it takes about 40 mins from city to airport... what a rush! Hopefully the transit hotel in Incheon airport got room, if not.... just hang out at airport. LOL! If i can tahan 19hrs in Doha Airport, I can certain tahan 7 hours in Incheon airport.
Shazzac
post Feb 21 2012, 10:55 AM

Casual
427 posts

QUOTE(stimix @ Feb 21 2012, 10:06 AM)
RM2800/pax to Seoul more than enough for 6 days provided you prebooked your accomodations haha.. FYI, I only spent less than RM800 for my 6D4N there. Incheon airport on the 2st floor having a superb resting nest..damn comfy & wth big Samsung LCD...Anyway, the airport so quiet after 9:30pm..All duty free shops closed at 9:30pm haha.. I'm not sure whether they will shut off the lighthing after midnite or not  biggrin.gif ..I hv bd experience stranded wth all lights off at Gimpo airport..walking in the dark looking for taxi to Seoul..  sad.gif ..That time no direct train to Seoul and the airport train till Gimpo airport only and their subway ended at 11:30pm & so do their domestic airport..damn  blush.gif  sad.gif
Sure??? RM800?!?!?!?! Confirm??!?!?! Wow, then I'll probably bring 500k won = RM1600. Should be more than enough. Yes my accommodation already booked beforehand and paid for dy. RM800+ for 6 nights at a small studio near Seoul Station. Promo price at USD45 per night!! I think it's a superb price since I can't find anything cheaper and I don't feel comfy staying at those 8 bed or 6 bed dorm.

Thanks for the tip on the 2nd floor though. Was it full when you were there then? I plan to actually depart from Seoul city at 10pm (anytime after dinner). Hopefully they have free wifi all over the place but at least maybe some designated areas, if not, will be damn bored. If really shut the lights after midnight will be good, at least can sleep, rather than being at Doha airport - the lights damn bright 24/7. LOL

Poor you! But at least you got into seoul safe and sound la!

QUOTE(vanpersie91 @ Feb 21 2012, 10:38 AM)
MYR 10K - travel outside malaysia...is it enuff?
100% confirm can!

Shazzac
post Feb 21 2012, 11:05 AM

Casual
427 posts

QUOTE(mat sputnik @ Feb 21 2012, 10:59 AM)
For long-haul sales keep an eye on those Middle-eastern carriers -- Emirates, Qatar, Etihad, Gulf Air. They have periodic sales, all the way to South America, esp. Emirates. Late last year, Qatar did a campaign - got KUL-DOH-OSL for just RM1.2k, all-in, full service some more. Early this year Emirates did global sale, so got another ticket KL - St Petersburg, for RM2.4k, traveling in April, on A380. We are doing Finland, Estonia, Latvia and Lithuania too.

Btw if you are a history buff, do Andalucia while in Spain -- Granada, Cordoba, Sevilla are awesome. A side trip to Gibraltar is cool. smile.gif

===
Thanks for that mat.

I'm already eyeing Middle Eastern carriers. I took Qatar Airways twice for my europe trip. Layover sucks for super cheap prices but I'm working on it.

Waiting for March so can check if they have any offer for travel in Aug. Currently their fares are for travels up to June only.

Yup, i knew about the Emirates global sale BUT, travelling time didn't suit me so...... And yea, I knew bout the Oslo fare by QR as well, BUT i was already going to Spain/Portugal then. LOL Talk about timing!!!!

Currently fare to BCN via SQ is RM3.4k and QR is RM3.3k. Transit times are both attractive though. Couldn't find anything cheaper than this! But we'll see!
Shazzac
post Feb 21 2012, 11:16 AM

Casual
427 posts

QUOTE(mat sputnik @ Feb 21 2012, 11:06 AM)
$45 single occupancy is good deal, make sure got en-suite, otherwise fight for toilets with the dorm ppl. smile.gif
Your budget looks fine, the only spoiler is when you wanna take day trips to DMZ, Nami or one of those ski resorts, otherwise pay by card. Or maybe compulsive shopping.

And yes, DOH is awful for lengthy layover, ICN is heaven!

===
My accommodation is a proper studio duplex flat. It's not exactly double storey but the owner built like those 'near the ceiling' half floor for the 'bedroom'. Got washing machine, kitchen, bathroom, living room, wifi (FOC - Thank god!).

Ski resorts ah, not this time round coz not into that. Maybe in the future.

DMZ ah - scared leh.... later kena tangkap how?

Definately gonna check out Nami.

Hopefully the weather would be warmer by 6 march... sad.gif
Shazzac
post Oct 19 2012, 09:29 AM

Casual
427 posts

QUOTE(TSOM @ Oct 19 2012, 06:01 AM)
that sounds ridiculously expensive!! I've travelled so much and I've never spent that much money..

a) are you travelling with tour operators?

b) are you staying 3, 4 or 5 stars hotel??

c) are you eating at expensive restaurants/ restaurants beside tourist attractions??

d) are you flying premium economy/ business/ first class?

e) have you ever walked or do you take public transports all the time??
I think most of his budget has gone to shinkansen and flight ticket dy. Coz if not mistaken the shinkansen tickets are already almost 1k for his itinerary.

For me, if i had the time to go all over japan with their shinkansen, confirm will do it 1 shot coz it's more value for money.

So far for a trip to Japan, I've never spent more than 6k for a week's trip. The place that I stay are usually B&B and cost about RM150 max per night.

So i guess for him to spend 10k for 19 days is quite affordable.

This post has been edited by Shazzac: Oct 19 2012, 09:31 AM

Change to:
| Lo-Fi Version
0.0200sec    0.99    7 queries    GZIP Disabled
Time is now: 24th November 2020 - 11:30 AM