18 Pages < 1 2 3 4 > » Bottom

Outline · [ Standard ] · Linear+

Travel www.agoda.com, hotel booking site discussion

views

TStong1774
post Jan 2 2009, 01:12 PM

Regular
1,065 posts

QUOTE(Putraskyline @ Jan 2 2009, 12:57 PM)
I have a doubt. Why don't you get the rates from hotel itself rather than those travel websites? From what I observe when I book Bali hotel, rates from those websites are expensive by 20%. I mean hotel online reservation.
agoda.com is even cheaper than the hotel itself by 30%. Don't ask me why. But the hotel charge me for RM300 per night, but agoda.com give me RM200. I guest they have some kind of deal...

here is the rate from the hotel website:

http://www.sugarpalmphuket.com/rate.html

The rate on their website has gone up, but yet agoda.com rate has gone down. LOL

This post has been edited by tong1774: Jan 2 2009, 01:14 PM
Putraskyline
post Jan 2 2009, 01:55 PM

Non-Regular
Group Icon
Elite
1,269 posts

QUOTE(tong1774 @ Jan 2 2009, 01:12 PM)
agoda.com is even cheaper than the hotel itself by 30%. Don't ask me why. But the hotel charge me for RM300 per night, but agoda.com give me RM200. I guest they have some kind of deal...

here is the rate from the hotel website:

http://www.sugarpalmphuket.com/rate.html

The rate on their website has gone up, but yet agoda.com rate has gone down. LOL
Owh yeah....The site really have low price. On the website you post, there is no mention that guarantee low price when booking on the hotel itself sad.gif
TStong1774
post Jan 2 2009, 02:05 PM

Regular
1,065 posts

I wonder how can they get such a low price, even cheaper than the hotel itself. Hmm...
marchkingdom
post Jan 2 2009, 02:14 PM

36 posts

TS, if u hav frens in travel agency, they can explain better biggrin.gif !

Generally, there are 2 hotel booking types.

1 type they work closely with agents, and slash to very very competitive price to agents coze of volumes. So apparently price in hotel web pages are sort of published rates, and booking thru agents often much lower.

Another type, they have strong marketing team + only allow web booking or direct booking. Agents are getting the same price as normal web booking customer, you are being charged additional booking fee by agents, hence most of time you pay more.

Added on January 2, 2009, 2:17 pmyes, agoda is 1 of the big player in hotel web booking. Another is Asiaweb direct

Added on January 2, 2009, 2:20 pmDo keep some contacts of local agent office. Call to compare price.

And, sometimes it save u hassle in Cards & rates. Coze u swipe RM here. No conversion, no misc fee. U pay what agent quote u, n get the hotel voucher for your stay.

This post has been edited by marchkingdom: Jan 2 2009, 02:20 PM
TStong1774
post Jan 2 2009, 03:10 PM

Regular
1,065 posts

I have a friend working as an agent, and she told me that even they cannot get such a low rate. Thats why she advise me to book with agoda.com. And the thing that piss me off is that, i consult a few travel agents regarding booking hotel in phuket during CNY period, all of them tell me that the rate are not updated yet, and i will have to wait. I just want to settle it ASAP so i book it myself.
pennee86
post Jan 2 2009, 03:38 PM

Getting Started
58 posts

QUOTE(tong1774 @ Jan 2 2009, 03:10 PM)
I have a friend working as an agent, and she told me that even they cannot get such a low rate. Thats why she advise me to book with agoda.com. And the thing that piss me off is that, i consult a few travel agents regarding booking hotel in phuket during CNY period, all of them tell me that the rate are not updated yet, and i will have to wait. I just want to settle it ASAP so i book it myself.
ya..thats right..most of the travel agent havent update the price...
but actually u can reserve the hotel first.just pay when u check in..i reserve for Deevana hotel cz i plan to go phuket at 16 jan... tongue.gif
TStong1774
post Jan 2 2009, 03:50 PM

Regular
1,065 posts

QUOTE(pennee86 @ Jan 2 2009, 03:38 PM)
ya..thats right..most of the travel agent havent update the price...
but actually u can reserve the hotel first.just pay when u check in..i reserve for Deevana hotel cz i plan to go phuket at 16 jan... tongue.gif
If i book with the hotel directly i can do that. But booking with agent like agoda.com and sawadee.com require a full payment before hand. Well we cannot get best of both world don't we? LOL

marchkingdom
post Jan 2 2009, 04:17 PM

36 posts

but still booking with web agents gives more accuracy in estimating the final bill. From your experience, I can see paying the hotel direct is somewhat "no no" ...
TStong1774
post Jan 2 2009, 04:31 PM

Regular
1,065 posts

But dealing directly with the hotel is the safest way to avoid any further problem, as dealing with third party may involve some mis-communication. Especailly in country in Thailand where majority cannot speak english. I have a few experiences in Thailand that problem cannot be solve due to communication.
kca
post Jan 2 2009, 04:44 PM

Getting Started
77 posts

I have tried using Citibank c.c. to book for rooms direct with hotels in Australia. The exch rate charge is similar to money changer and even lower.

So i guess it depends on c.c. company.

Is agoda.com ok to use? I plan to book hotel in bangkok thru them - rate is most cheaper compare to other webs and their cancellation policy is reasonable. If cancel 2-3 days before check-in date, no charge. Is that correct?

Thanks!

TStong1774
post Jan 2 2009, 04:52 PM

Regular
1,065 posts

QUOTE(kca @ Jan 2 2009, 04:44 PM)
I have tried using Citibank c.c. to book for rooms direct with hotels in Australia. The exch rate charge is similar to money changer and even lower.

So i guess it depends on c.c. company.

Is agoda.com ok to use? I plan to book hotel in bangkok thru them - rate is most cheaper compare to other webs and their cancellation policy is reasonable. If cancel 2-3 days before check-in date, no charge. Is that correct?

Thanks!
If cancel before the deadline (Depends on hotel), they will charge you USD15, if after the deadline they will charge you minimum one night stay. They are ok, just that their respond can be some what slow. And some of its rate are weird, check my previous post then you know what i mean.
bbmars
post Jan 2 2009, 06:23 PM

On my way
545 posts

QUOTE(tong1774 @ Jan 2 2009, 04:52 PM)
If cancel before the deadline (Depends on hotel), they will charge you USD15, if after the deadline they will charge you minimum one night stay. They are ok, just that their respond can be some what slow. And some of its rate are weird, check my previous post then you know what i mean.
Its typical to get such charges, in 2007, I spend 6 days in KL and charge my shopping buy to CC. Guess when I return from my trip and see my bill, based on calculation, I was charged some 7% due to exchange rate by the bank. The price of the purchase items were indicated in RM on my CC bill.
tishaban
post Jan 3 2009, 02:20 AM

Look at all my stars!!
3,615 posts

I don't think there are any hard and fast rules on whether to book from agoda.com or the hotel website. What you need to do is shop around and decide yourself. In my experience previously if the price difference is minimal then I would go with the hotel websites since they usually give better cancellation terms (no fees) and are possibly more trustworthy. It also depends on how much lead time you have etc. since some of these websites don't have instant booking.

In the end though it's the customer who gains from this competition so enjoy! biggrin.gif

TStong1774
post Jan 5 2009, 10:33 AM

Regular
1,065 posts

Ya, i agree with tishaban. Better to do some research before decide how you wan to book your hotel.
SUSSeLrAhC
post Jan 5 2009, 10:44 AM

★★★7Star★General★★★
5,227 posts

online sometimes can get up to 40% discount lor
TStong1774
post Jan 6 2009, 12:06 PM

Regular
1,065 posts

Today just check agoda.com again, same hotel now cost RM500+ a night!!!! http://www.agoda.com/asia/thailand/phuket/...alm_resort.html

Well since this is the last room that they have so i can understand, but just few days before this the room rate drop to RM165+, so their room rate actually going up and down like a roller coster. LOL...
new~b0y
post Jan 6 2009, 03:42 PM

Casual
456 posts

If you let the hotel do the conversion for you from USD to RM, they will use an exchange rate in favour of them, to cover for future currency fluctuations.

It's best to let the hotel charge you in USD, and let the credit card company convert it for you. You will get much better rates. Most credit cards now are accepted worldwide.
beaneo
post Jun 3 2009, 08:01 PM

Getting Started
73 posts

Hey forumers, would like to know if anyone here uses this website. After showing the total amount to pay, will there be any other charges if i were to use my credit card to pay? First time making an online hotel booking. Want to book a hotel in phuket.
Hope to get some info here b4 i proceed smile.gif
biggrin.gif
Argiope
post Jun 5 2009, 02:33 AM

Getting Started
298 posts

QUOTE(beaneo @ Jun 3 2009, 08:01 PM)
Hey forumers, would like to know if anyone here uses this website. After showing the total amount to pay, will there be any other charges if i were to use my credit card to pay? First time making an online hotel booking. Want to book a hotel in phuket.
Hope to get some info here b4 i proceed  smile.gif
biggrin.gif

I've used this website several times. You only have to pay for the total amount, which includes govt tax & service charge. Normally they will charge in USD then your bank statement will show the amount in RM after conversion. If i remember correctly, the website also will give you an option whether to charge in USD or RM.

DarrenK
post Dec 29 2009, 09:26 PM

Getting Started
175 posts

recommend me some website..smile.gif

18 Pages < 1 2 3 4 > » Top

Change to:
| Lo-Fi Version
0.0227sec    0.12    6 queries    GZIP Disabled
Time is now: 29th March 2024 - 02:38 AM