114 Pages  1 2 3 > » Bottom

Outline · [ Standard ] · Linear+

Travel New Zealand, Attractions, hotels & General

views

TSCoolbreeze
post Apr 18 2009, 03:16 PM, updated 15y ago

Getting Started
134 posts

i will be goin NZ soon, planning to stay 1 week in auckland and another week in south island, just wanna ask what places are must-go in south island? because my sis is stayin in Auckland she can guide me for tat but she has nv been to south island before...

also, do u need an international driving license to drive in nz? cause i heard wat most ppl do is that they rent a car and start driving south from christchurch.. is tat so? o.O
skon9
post Apr 18 2009, 03:42 PM

Casual
384 posts

See this South Island
SUSSeLrAhC
post Apr 18 2009, 05:32 PM

★★★7Star★General★★★
5,227 posts

the place where they film lotr ^^ must be very beautiful there also parmeston north
tehtmc
post Apr 18 2009, 10:31 PM

Regular
Validating
1,333 posts

QUOTE(Coolbreeze @ Apr 18 2009, 03:16 PM)
i will be goin NZ soon, planning to stay 1 week in auckland and another week in south island, just wanna ask what places are must-go in south island? because my sis is stayin in Auckland she can guide me for tat but she has nv been to south island before...

also, do u need an international driving license to drive in nz? cause i heard wat most ppl do is that they rent a car and start driving south from christchurch.. is tat so? o.O
No, you don't need to get an international driving license as a tourist. Your Malaysian license is acceptable.

Must-see places in South Island:
Queenstown, Milford Sound, Franz Josef Glacier, Mount Cook.

You can try the route suggested here which is for an 8-day tour:

http://www.newzealandselfdrivetours.co.nz/....php?tour_id=88

Actually, 1 week is too much for Auckland alone. You may like to make a side trip to Roturua to see the geysers.

This post has been edited by tehtmc: Apr 18 2009, 10:33 PM
??!!
post Apr 19 2009, 12:01 AM

Look at all my stars!!
2,521 posts

Do the glacier trek at Franz Josef Glacier.
We stayed in a log cabin with view of the glacier right in front !!

Kaikora whale watch is another great thing to do
TSCoolbreeze
post Apr 19 2009, 12:31 AM

Getting Started
134 posts

QUOTE(tehtmc @ Apr 18 2009, 10:31 PM)
No, you don't need to get an international driving license as a tourist. Your Malaysian license is acceptable.

Must-see places in South Island:
Queenstown, Milford Sound, Franz Josef Glacier, Mount Cook. 

You can try the route suggested here which is for an 8-day tour:

http://www.newzealandselfdrivetours.co.nz/....php?tour_id=88

Actually, 1 week is too much for Auckland alone. You may like to make a side trip to Roturua to see the geysers.
this is really helpful! thx alot biggrin.gif

owh cause my sis is in auck ma, the main purpose of the trip is to pay her a visit.. but now after seeing the itenary, i dun mind goin south for another day xD

another ques.. usually how much does it cost normally to take flight from Auck to Christchurch?
SUSbuntutman
post Apr 19 2009, 03:45 AM

Casual
324 posts

you cant see mount cook coz its nearing winter and u wont enjoy milford as its too close to winter as well. skip these 2.
tehtmc
post Apr 19 2009, 11:34 AM

Regular
Validating
1,333 posts

[quote=buntutman,Apr 19 2009, 03:45 AM]you cant see mount cook coz its nearing winter and u wont enjoy milford as its too close to winter as well. skip these 2.

[/quote]

Nope, that's not true.
Went to Mount Cook in the middle of winter(July), visibility was OK.
Been to Milford once in summer and another time in winter. Weather in Milford is know to be wet and cloudy most of the time. It was just that when I went the lst time in summer. Surprisingly, weather was much better when I went in winter, sunny, clear and blue skies.

There are budget airline like Air Asia. Try this one:
http://www.virginblue.com.au/

Added on April 19, 2009, 11:46 am[quote]owh cause my sis is in auck ma, the main purpose of the trip is to pay her a visit..[/quote]

That's fair enough. biggrin.gif Is your sister studying or working there?

When in Auckland take a ferry across the harbour to Devonport, nice charming suburb. Had the best fish and chips there. The Underwater World is also worth a visit. The transparent underwater tunnel in Singapore Sentosa was also built by the Kiwis apparently.

BTW, exchange rate to NZD is very attractive at the moment.

[/QUOTE]Kaikora whale watch is another great thing to do [QUOTE]

Yeah, the whale-watching in Kaikoura..but that's a bit out of the way, you'll need a separate trip for that.

This post has been edited by tehtmc: Apr 19 2009, 11:51 AM
SUSbuntutman
post Apr 19 2009, 04:19 PM

Casual
324 posts

orait...... u da NZ man. i shall consult u each time i go NZ which is ....... very very very often.
and i'll try virgin whatever airlines instead of their Airasia competitor which is called Jetstar.

This post has been edited by buntutman: Apr 19 2009, 05:15 PM
tehtmc
post Apr 19 2009, 05:15 PM

Regular
Validating
1,333 posts

QUOTE(buntutman @ Apr 19 2009, 04:19 PM)
i own a house in arrow town. i'm there more than you.

Added on April 19, 2009, 4:20 pmand their budget airline is called jetstar you noob.
buntutman
There is no need to be patronizing. I was merely speaking from my personal experience.
Arrowtown is near Queenstown, but is hundreds of km from Milford, which is in Fiordland, a different regioin with distinct climatic difference. Fiordland is a lot wetter region.

Jetstar is one of the budget airlines, but not the only one.
SUSbuntutman
post Apr 19 2009, 05:16 PM

Casual
324 posts

your personal experience > my personal experience.
TSCoolbreeze
post Apr 19 2009, 10:33 PM

Getting Started
134 posts

QUOTE(tehtmc @ Apr 19 2009, 11:34 AM)

That's fair enough.  biggrin.gif Is your sister studying or working there?

When in Auckland take a ferry across the harbour to Devonport, nice charming suburb. Had the best fish and chips there. The Underwater World is also worth a visit. The transparent underwater tunnel in Singapore Sentosa was also built by the Kiwis apparently. 

BTW, exchange rate to NZD is very attractive at the moment.

Yeah, the whale-watching in Kaikoura..but that's a bit out of the way, you'll need a separate trip for that.
she has been working thr for over 2 years alr.. so just pay her a visit during my hols lo smile.gif

u seem to noe NZ rili well.. are you stayin in NZ too?

SUSbuntutman
post Apr 20 2009, 12:06 AM

Casual
324 posts

if someone knows NZ that well, they would never recommend you to go milford or mount cook in the winter (mount cook with exception of ski-ing).

its like a great recommendation from a m'sian to go redang/perhentian in the month of October ........ when its monsoon season. Chances of rain is ....... >70%

tehtmc
post Apr 20 2009, 08:04 AM

Regular
Validating
1,333 posts

QUOTE(buntutman @ Apr 20 2009, 12:06 AM)
if someone knows NZ that well, they would never recommend you to go milford or mount cook in the winter (mount cook with exception of ski-ing).

What is your statement based on? Your own opinion? Check out the rainfall data here and tell me whether it rains more in winter or summer in Milford:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Milford_sound

Maybe you could search the same for Mt Cook and tell us.

There is no need to be sarcastic.

This post has been edited by tehtmc: Apr 20 2009, 08:12 AM
SUSbuntutman
post Apr 20 2009, 03:25 PM

Casual
324 posts

QUOTE(tehtmc @ Apr 20 2009, 08:04 AM)
What is your statement based on? Your own opinion? Check out the rainfall data here and tell me whether it rains more in winter or summer in Milford:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Milford_sound

Maybe you could search the same for Mt Cook and tell us.

There is no need to be sarcastic.
its not the rain. its the fog. hardly rains in south island.

what i'm saying probably is just beyond your grasp. so i'm going to explain this one more time to you and i'll leave this thread for good.
when u recommend someone to go mount cook or milford in the winter, fog happens frequently. weather is bad during winter. weather changes in the winter are unpredictable and quick to change.

so its the same as recommending someone to go to redang in october or november during the monsoon season. when the weather is bad.

and even if the statements were based on my own opinion, its still going to be ....... better than yours.
tehtmc
post Apr 20 2009, 04:46 PM

Regular
Validating
1,333 posts

'hardly rains in south island.'

For your information, the West Coast of New Zealand and Fiordland are the wettest parts of the country. Queenstown and Arrowtown are the drier parts. The climatic data of the different regions is found here:

http://www.fourcorners.co.nz/new-zealand/regionalweather/

Coolbreeze is going there soon, which should still be autumn. It is not a question of going there in summer or winter, it's a question of whether to include those places in his itinerary or not.
As I said, I 've been there in the middle of winter and the weather was clear though cold. I spoke to the captain of the cruise ship at Milford who told me that weather can be very clear during winter. Have you been there yourself in winter may I ask? My first trip was in summer and that was when I experienced the worst weather - continuous rain with zero visibility. Of course weather is such a variable thing, luck does play a big part.

'even if the statements were based on my own opinion, its still going to be ....... better than yours.'

Well, I am not going to argue with you on whose statements are better or who is smarter. . The statements I made are based on my actual experience having stayed in NZ for 6 years.
TSCoolbreeze
post Apr 21 2009, 12:59 PM

Getting Started
134 posts

eh eh chill bro who can predict weather?? smile.gif

you both provided me useful info la nod.gif

anyway tehtmc, regarding the self drive tour itenary u gave me earlier, i find it really good may just follow it, but actually is that a plan for some local tour in NZ or? i mean do i have to participate it somewhere first so that i can rent the cars or stay in the hotels mentioned in the itenary? ohmy.gif
tehtmc
post Apr 21 2009, 02:53 PM

Regular
Validating
1,333 posts

Coolbreeze

The itinerary is planned by the tour company which provides the car,accomodation and airport transfers) as a package. It is a do-it-yourself tour. Of course you can hire a car and arrange your accomodation separately.
Mind you, that's quite a lot of driving to do for a week. I've been to all the places listed except the Trans-Alpine route which through Arthur's Pass. I heard that's a beautiful drive. You'll be amazed with the diverse scenery you go through if you follow the route - ranging from pastoral farmland to rainforest in the West Coast, from alpine scenery(like European Alps) to awesome glaciers (Canada) to the majestic fiords(Scandinavia). Also, Christchurch is known as the most English city and Dunedin, very Scottish.
What month are you planning to go?
TSCoolbreeze
post Apr 21 2009, 07:21 PM

Getting Started
134 posts

QUOTE(tehtmc @ Apr 21 2009, 02:53 PM)
Coolbreeze

The itinerary is planned by the tour company which provides the car,accomodation and airport transfers) as a package. It is a do-it-yourself tour. Of course you can hire a car and arrange your accomodation separately.
Mind you, that's quite a lot of driving to do for a week. I've been to all the places listed except the Trans-Alpine route which through Arthur's Pass. I heard that's a beautiful drive. You'll be amazed with the diverse scenery you go through if you follow the route - ranging from pastoral farmland to rainforest in the West Coast, from alpine scenery(like European Alps) to awesome glaciers (Canada) to the majestic fiords(Scandinavia).  Also, Christchurch is known as the most English city and Dunedin, very Scottish.
What month are you planning to go?
july... during my hol

yeah i know lol my mom told me that there were people who were killed in accident because they were too amazed by the scenery and din focus on the road, im trying to gather 1 or 2 more frens to join me so that we can take turn to drive thumbup.gif

do u think it will be tough to get accomodation during that time? as in just walk in and ask for rooms
tehtmc
post Apr 21 2009, 08:25 PM

Regular
Validating
1,333 posts

QUOTE(Coolbreeze @ Apr 21 2009, 07:21 PM)
do u think it will be tough to get accomodation during that time? as in just walk in and ask for rooms
July and August are the coldest months, so it's going to be cold especially in S Island. Be prepared with warm clothing. It hardly snows though except for places like Mt Cook.
The advantage of travelling in winter is that accomodation will not be a problem as it is low season. Walk-in is not a problem. You can save on accomodation by staying at those youth hostels but you have to join as a member of the Youth Hostels Association. There are youth hostels at almost every town in the itinerary. The NZ youth hostels are generally clean and well kept. You get to meet tourists from all over the world. It's been a long time since I stayed in one, the rate should be about NZD20 per person per night. Just do a search.

You're a student I presume?

114 Pages  1 2 3 > » Top

Change to:
| Lo-Fi Version
0.0337sec    0.31    6 queries    GZIP Disabled
Time is now: 29th March 2024 - 04:29 AM