Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Outline · [ Standard ] · Linear+

Alcohol in Toners, What effects does it have on your skin?

views

TSsaintangelius
post Jun 17 2008, 05:50 PM, updated 15y ago

46 posts

As the topic states, What effects that alcohol in skin care have on the skin be it short period or long period. I head somewhere that although they are good at removing stuff from your epidermis it actually isn't very good for the pores or something like that.

Please enlighten me.

Apart from Neutrogena, what other brand has a non-alcoholic toner and which range is it?

This post has been edited by feyhime: Jun 18 2008, 09:59 AM
~Curious~
post Jun 19 2008, 07:43 PM

Regular
1,744 posts

i knw it dries skin...
*jess*
post Jun 20 2008, 08:58 AM

23 posts

You can try simple, I"m using it currently it works fine for me.

My skin is quite sensitve, so it will breakout whenever the toner contains alchol and Fragrance...
TSsaintangelius
post Jun 20 2008, 11:44 AM

46 posts

The thing is, many claim that you need the alcohol because of it's astringent properties and ability to clean properly. They also have been known to reduce the size of pores but some reviews I've read online remarked that after not using the toner they see their pores becoming more obvious.
I checked with SkinFood thinking that their products are close to being all natural but the SA said that all of them contain alcohol and that there was no escaping that in the market. If there was no alcohol you wouldn't have a clean face... Is that true?
~Curious~
post Jun 20 2008, 10:50 PM

Regular
1,744 posts

QUOTE(saintangelius @ Jun 20 2008, 11:44 AM)
The thing is, many claim that you need the alcohol because of it's astringent properties and ability to clean properly. They also have been known to reduce the size of pores but some reviews I've read online remarked that after not using the toner they see their pores becoming more obvious.
I checked with SkinFood thinking that their products are close to being all natural but the SA said that all of them contain alcohol and that there was no escaping that in the market. If there was no alcohol you wouldn't have a clean face... Is that true?
did the SA tell u that?cleanliness of face depends more on facial cleanser used,toner remmoves some excess dirt andsooap which might be left on ur face.juz my opinion =)
gstrapinuse
post Jul 20 2008, 05:01 PM

Elite
696 posts

alcohol toner cannot be used on acne/oily skin and also sensitive skin.It is suitable for dry skin and combination skin only..
jnalye86
post Jul 20 2008, 05:35 PM

Getting Started
85 posts

isn't good for pores? it is BEST for pores, it shrikens the pores in seconds. while if u use a non-alchohol toner... not much effect. but advise is just use sparingly, it may cause sensitiveness.
TSsaintangelius
post Jul 21 2008, 11:38 PM

46 posts

http://www.drjart.co.kr/us_drjart/us_product_2.html

the first toner on this list sounds too good to be true *_*
yingjee
post Jul 22 2008, 01:03 AM

Casual
403 posts

hmm.. alcohol toner seems to work much better than non-alcohol for me.. but it seems to have a drying effect.. plus.. my fingertips are peeling! so ive decided to use different fingers on alternate days now.. sweat.gif
sukkimi
post Jul 28 2008, 09:53 PM

14 posts

Suppose the high content of alcohol will dries up ur skin.

But look out for the ingredient listing of product. If the alcohol listed as the first few ingredients, you might wanna consider not buying.
Coz the FDA regulates the higher component of the product to be listed first. So if the alcohol listed later (should be fine kua)
Shenay
post Aug 23 2008, 03:48 PM

On my way
546 posts

Actually depending on what alcohol is used. If its something like Alcohol SD-40, Alcohol denat or Denatured alcohol, avoid it cause its gonna dry your skin up in the long run. You will not see immediate effects because it starts drying up your skin from inside. Some alcohols like Cetyl alcohol, Cetearyl alcohol, Stearyl alcohol , Myristic alcohol, Polyvincyl alcohol, Phenethyl alcohol is alright as they are used as thickeners. And its not true if your toner has no astringent properties and it wont be able to clean properly. BUT proper cleansing should be done using Make up remover & your cleanser. After double cleansing properly, your skin will be fine =)
viviensiu
post Aug 25 2008, 01:11 AM

43 posts

Is it true that alcohol is a must to close up pores?
Shenay
post Aug 25 2008, 02:07 PM

On my way
546 posts

Nope our pore size actually does not open and close like that. Just that when you steam your face, your face becomes soft and thats why its easier to extract blackheads and all. Similiarly, you do not need alcohol to close your pores, just rinse your face with one last cold water splash and its sufficient. Your pores wont 'open' up without alcohol =)
beatlesalbum
post Aug 25 2008, 02:54 PM

Regular
1,711 posts

I am a guy but I'm quite into skin care too.
I have combination skin with my nose and cheeks being oily and large pores, and other parts are dry+oily.
What cleanser and toner type + brand do you recommend. I am currently using nivea visage deep pore cleanser with tea tree oil toner. It is not making my pores any smaller or bigger. Please advice
Shenay
post Aug 25 2008, 04:40 PM

On my way
546 posts

Hey there, I've already stopped using those toners that are available outside because most of them, did dry out my skin & its quite bad. So I wanted to go a bit organic, and I've tried out Apple cider Vinegar toner. If you do not mind the smell, you really have to try it. Its acidic, which helps removes dirt too but the best part, since its home made, no alcohol & doesnt dries out your skin. Mix apple cider vinegar with distilled water in any old toner bottle, or get a new one at Watsons. Mix 8 parts of water to 1 part of apple cider vinegar. Do not mix such a big amount at once because you have to re-make this every week[cause it contain no preservatives].

As for your cleanser, I cant really give you an answer on which cleanser to get, since Im still searching for the good one. As long as it doesnt strip off oil when washing [you will feel a tight feeling after wash], then its alright. Because when it strips off oil, your skin tend to produce more oil in the following hour. But from what I see, Nivea Visage Deep pore Cleanser will give you the tight feeling after wash. The only way to keep your pores small is to make sure its clean. That way, no dirt, it wont enlarge. Try using deep cleansing mask once or twice a week. Its the only alternative if you do not go for facials. Cleansers alone will not clean your face 100% well.

And also, since some part of your face is dry, make sure you use a moisturizer too. Some people skip this because they think their face is oily enough, but no. If you find the right moisturizer, your face is gonna get less oily. When your face is moisturized, it produces less oil. Hope this helps. Im no guru in skin care but this is what I learn from pass experience.

This post has been edited by Shenay: Aug 25 2008, 04:41 PM
mybeauty88
post Aug 25 2008, 10:56 PM

3 posts

Alcohol toner only dry up surface skin and became sensitivity. Its not really treat for acne or oily skin because inner skin still have comedone just dry up affected area.Im do not like toner content alcohol.
lilac_alex
post Aug 28 2008, 04:07 PM

Getting Started
235 posts

alcohol toner cleans better but also damages the skin. used clinique toner that has alcohol.. it feels great, but makes the skin drier and felt like skin layers thinning..
erikamai
post Sep 14 2008, 06:15 AM

25 posts

im using himalaya toner....
they wrote there NO Alcohol contain...
but after i use it i felt my (the part between nose n lips) *i dunno how to say that* felt like slightly pain...
n felt abit sticky.....

any 1 know why??

This post has been edited by erikamai: Sep 14 2008, 06:24 AM
audreyyee81
post Jan 31 2009, 11:18 PM

1 posts

QUOTE(Shenay @ Aug 25 2008, 04:40 PM)
Hey there, I've already stopped using those toners that are available outside because most of them, did dry out my skin & its quite bad. So I wanted to go a bit organic, and I've tried out Apple cider Vinegar toner. If you do not mind the smell, you really have to try it. Its acidic, which helps removes dirt too but the best part, since its home made, no alcohol & doesnt dries out your skin. Mix apple cider vinegar with distilled water in any old toner bottle, or get a new one at Watsons. Mix 8 parts of water to 1 part of apple cider vinegar. Do not mix such a big amount at once because you have to re-make this every week[cause it contain no preservatives].

As for your cleanser, I cant really give you an answer on which cleanser to get, since Im still searching for the good one. As long as it doesnt strip off oil when washing [you will feel a tight feeling after wash], then its alright. Because when it strips off oil, your skin tend to produce more oil in the following hour. But from what I see, Nivea Visage Deep pore Cleanser will give you the tight feeling after wash. The only way to keep your pores small is to make sure its clean. That way, no dirt, it wont enlarge. Try using deep cleansing mask once or twice a week. Its the only alternative if you do not go for facials. Cleansers alone will not clean your face 100% well.

And also, since some part of your face is dry, make sure you use a moisturizer too. Some people skip this because they think their face is oily enough, but no. If you find the right moisturizer, your face is gonna get less oily. When your face is moisturized, it produces less oil. Hope this helps. Im no guru in skin care but this is what I learn from pass experience.
Hello Shenay,

I also heard others using this home made apple cinder vinegar toner is very effective. however, after u cleanse ur face, u put this vinegar toner using cutton pad.after that, do you rinse off with water before apply serum or moisturizer? pls advice me, tq.
hikashi
post Feb 2 2009, 10:45 PM

Pusheeeeeeeett
1,055 posts

hmm.. another alternatives here is Fruit of the Earth: Aloe Vera Gel.

can be used as tonic and contains natural ingredient, so wont do much harm to the skin. good for controlling oily skins, very recommended..

its cheap as well, available at watson or guardian. cost me about rm7 for 2 bottle of 2 oz.

2 Pages  1 2 >Top

Change to:
| Lo-Fi Version
0.0177sec    0.32    5 queries    GZIP Disabled
Time is now: 29th March 2024 - 02:11 AM