Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Bump Topic Topic Closed RSS Feed
130 Pages « < 30 31 32 33 34 > » Bottom

Outline · [ Standard ] · Linear+

Sony-Ericsson All new G900 and G700 from SonyEricsson, G for giraffe? 'G' is the new 'N'-series

views

masterzombie
post Aug 10 2008, 01:38 AM

Getting Started
151 posts

Hi, sorry for the long delay.
I was travelling and I don't have internet access right now.
I'll post the guide soon in a few days.
hamtarox
post Aug 10 2008, 06:02 PM

Getting Started
281 posts

hmmm..now i having internet connection prob..since after i reset setting for my wireless router,,after it connected ..i tried go any website it will show cant locate remote server..hmm?anyone can help?
after reset of the router my ps3 connection no prob..only phone having prob
demio121
post Aug 11 2008, 09:45 AM

Look at all my stars!!
2,084 posts

QUOTE(royalz @ Aug 9 2008, 06:40 PM)
Hey anyone know what determine whether the image files go into the camera album folder or picture folder? there are some picture taken by using digital camera that i want to put in the camera album folder but cant move the picture to camera album ..it is automatically put into picture folder instead ..help!
goto to the camera and then the setting. There is a option to save to. its either phone memory, MS or MS preferred.

you can move the pic from phone memory to MS and vice versa. Mark the pic and goto More. Select Edit > Move To.
Jeffery
post Aug 13 2008, 11:58 PM

Enthusiast
930 posts

this thread dying? lol

Few days back I was planning to change my G900 to n82. My fren quoted me to topup RM450. Then I go ask the shop that sold me the hp, I told them I'm not satisfy with the phone and I want to change to n82 and the sales person quoted me to topup RM690. WTF... then I canceled the plan since my budget is RM300.

After that, I go download opera mini. And u know wat? Opera mini is the best browser for G900. It's super fast, and got overview mode, surfing is as fast as n82. Opera mini has pre render for famous website in their server, so it's faster compare to other browser. Even so, it's fast and not lag for those non famous as well. Seriously, recommending Opera Mini. ^^
cyew86
post Aug 14 2008, 02:15 AM

oh my ...
4,251 posts

the price of G900 is dropping fast, can get one for less than rm1300
i wonder why C902 is more expensive than G900 while G900 is certainly a better phone in term of functionality and camera quality
demio121
post Aug 14 2008, 09:11 AM

Look at all my stars!!
2,084 posts

QUOTE(Jeffery @ Aug 13 2008, 11:58 PM)
this thread dying? lol

Few days back I was planning to change my G900 to n82. My fren quoted me to topup RM450. Then I go ask the shop that sold me the hp, I told them I'm not satisfy with the phone and I want to change to n82 and the sales person quoted me to topup RM690. WTF... then I canceled the plan since my budget is RM300.

After that, I go download opera mini. And u know wat? Opera mini is the best browser for G900. It's super fast, and got overview mode, surfing is as fast as n82. Opera mini has pre render for famous website in their server, so it's faster compare to other browser. Even so, it's fast and not lag for those non famous as well. Seriously, recommending Opera Mini. ^^
you ppl r rich la... juz buy den 1 2 trade... my phone all last me @ least 3 years before i change. My next due is mid 2011...!!!

this opear mini thing... what do you do with the opera installed on the G900??? i'll try this Opera mini later tonight.
NewbieBetta
post Aug 14 2008, 10:45 AM

The Sexy Man
3,704 posts

QUOTE(demio121 @ Aug 14 2008, 09:11 AM)
you ppl r rich la... juz buy den 1 2 trade... my phone all last me @ least 3 years before i change.  My next due is mid 2011...!!!

this opear mini thing... what do you do with the opera installed on the G900???  i'll try this Opera mini later tonight.
you are richer then me la..my phone is already 5yrs++ but still im not changing it yet tongue.gif
demio121
post Aug 14 2008, 10:58 AM

Look at all my stars!!
2,084 posts

QUOTE(NewbieBetta @ Aug 14 2008, 10:45 AM)
you are richer then me la..my phone is already 5yrs++ but still im not changing it yet  tongue.gif
no la u richer den me la... G900 is d first phone i buy tat is over 1k. that oso think until my wife give up asking if i m buyin or not. i flip so many other phone b4 deciding on G900.
LittleCow
post Aug 15 2008, 09:39 PM

Getting Started
185 posts

thinking of getting the cheaper...G700 (original RM1,2xx)...and save the difference between G900(RM1,600) and top up
to buy a cybershot for the camera function !
masterzombie
post Aug 16 2008, 06:08 PM

Getting Started
151 posts

How to change the CDA of your G900

Sorry for the almost 1 month delay, but heres how to change your G900 to generic world (or any other firmware if you have the CDA code). It should be pretty easy to understand, if you have any questions pm me, but I might not reply soon (and I don't know everything too).
This also works for M600, P1i, W960, P990, and other SE UIQ3 Symbian smartphones. (not sure about older ones).

DISCLAIMER: If you do something wrong, it is possible that you will BRICK your G900. DO IT AT YOUR OWN RISK
This most probably will VOID your warranty. (not sure about this).

Why would I want to change it?
o Firmware updates are released for the Generic World CDAs before any localized CDAs (especially eastern ones).
o You can change it to any localized firmware too, if you know the code.

Any side effects?
o No Chinese support with the Generic World CDA. You can change yours from Singapore to Hong Kong etc if you still want Chinese, but it wont make much difference.

What do I need?
Hardware:
o The phone, of course.
o PC with USB port, and preferably Windows XP. If you have Vista, run XS++ in XP compatibility mode to be sure. Make sure SEUS is working first!!!
o DCU 65 or DCU 60 (USB data cable). The one that comes with your phone (in Malaysia) usually is DCU 65.

Software:
o Sony Ericsson Update Service (SEUS). You probably have this on the CD that came with your phone. If not, download it.
o XS++. You can download it from here.
o HexWorkshop from here. You can use any hex editor of course, but this one is pretty good with built in checksum calculators (which will be needed).
All the software is free. It won't cost you anything if you do it right (except time).

Finally, thanks to mut@nt's post describing the procedure for an M600, which works the same with the G900.

First of all you can see your firmware versions by opening the Menu. Touch More, and touch System Information. It will give you the firmware versions. Write them down somewhere.

Steps:

1. Run SEUS. Follow the instructions. If it doesn't find new software for your phone then continue.
2. Disconnect the phone, and remove the battery.
3. Put the battery back in again.
4. Unzip XS++ in a folder (don't run it directly from the zip file, it needs a folder).
5. Run XS++
6. Tick the box called "SMARTPHONE CONNECT".
user posted image

7. Turn the phone off if you turned it on again. Remove the battery and put it back again.
8. Click on the "Connect" button in XS++. It will ask you connect the phone in the same way you did in SEUS.
9. Hold down the "C" button on your phone.
10. Connect the USB cable to the phone (and the PC if you removed it, of course).
11. It will start detecting the phone and give a few messages. DO NOT RELEASE THE "C" BUTTON!
12. When its done you'll get a message "Ready for Operation". Now its safe to release the button.
user posted image
NOTE: When you have the old CDA, XS++ might detect it as a W960 (I took this screenshot AFTER modding). It does not matter, its ok.

13. Don't touch anything else in XS++.
14. Click on the GDFS circle in the Configuration group.
15. You should see a button called "Backup GDFS". Click on it.
16. It will start saving the GDFS file. It will take about 30 seconds - 1 minute.
17. After its done, go to the folder where you unzipped the XS++ software. There should be another folder called "Backup" inside.
18. In the Backup folder, there will be one .BIN file with its name something like "W960_************_GDFS_BACKUP.bin".
19. Make a copy of the file, and don't touch it.

20. Install Hex Workshop if you haven't already.
21. Open Hex Workshop. Click on Options>Preferences, and under Columns, there will be a drop down box titled "Group by:". Select "2 (short)". Apply and click OK.
22. Open the BIN file in Hex Workshop.
23. You should see something like this:
user posted image
Most of won't make sense, but we don't need most of it.

24. Scroll to the very end of the file.
25. Now on the right you will see the firmware versions of your phone. This is what we need to change.
user posted image

26. The one at the very end is the CDA firmware. You need to change it to the Generic World 1 version. The code for the Generic World 1 is:
CDA: 1204-3148 R6J825
(The one you see in the screenshot is my old CDA firmware versions.)

27. When changing the text, you cannot select all and replace. You need to place the flashing thing before the letter you want to edit and type. It will automatically overwrite it.
28. So put the cursor before the CDA code starts and type "1204-3148" and click before 'R' and type "R6J825" (without the quotes of course). Don't type in the periods, it will change the hex code.
user posted image
Left: Before
Right: After

29. So now you should have the same number of letters. Only the letters are different.
30. This is the important part. If this is not done right, it WILL NOT work.
Select exactly the same letters (on the right side) as in the picture below. Starting from the 2 dots before the first version number, to the last letter of the CDA version.
user posted image

31. Click on Tools, then on "Generate Checksum".
32. Just click on "Generate"
33. On the bottom right you will see a lot of checksums and CRCs.
user posted image

Note the value of the 8-bit checksum (Checksum-8, the first one). This will probably be different for you, its ok. The value will have two letters/numbers.

34. On the left side, (as in the picture) there should be a block "000D" after the selected part. In the next block, change the first two letters to the value of the 8-bit checksum. Be careful not to change anything else.
user posted image

35. Save the file under another name (but as a .bin file).

34. Connect and turn on the phone the same way as earlier using XS++.

35. Under the GDFS tab, beside the "Restore GDFS" button, select the modified .bin file.

36. Click on Restore GDFS. Might take a minute or two.

37. After its done, and XS++ disconnects the phone, take out the battery, put it back in and restart. You should now see TWO firmware versions under CDA. This is normal. But if you don't see two versions, it means you did something wrong.

38. Update the phone using SEUS, it should now detect it as Generic World 1, and will download the updated firmware. It will take a while though, depending on your internet connection.

39. After SEUS finishes everything, restart and you should see the latest firmware version and only one CDA version.

If it doesn't work, just restore the original GDFS, and your phone should be the same as earlier.

Added on August 16, 2008, 6:13 pm sweat.gif the post turned out to be much bigger than I thought

This post has been edited by masterzombie: Aug 16 2008, 06:13 PM
LittleCow
post Aug 17 2008, 01:37 AM

Getting Started
185 posts

is the processor speed for G700 and G900 the same ?

i checked the AP price for G700 around RM1,2xx and G900 around RM1,6xx...

if i don't need to use wi-fi and 5mp camera, which one do u think is a better buy?
noted that g900 come with free bluetooth handfree.
cyew86
post Aug 17 2008, 02:59 AM

oh my ...
4,251 posts

QUOTE(LittleCow @ Aug 17 2008, 01:37 AM)

if i don't need to use wi-fi and 5mp camera, which one do u think is a better buy?
why so expensive? for AP G700 is less than RM1000, while G900 is around RM1200
if u don't need the camera and wi-fi, just settle with G700, why pay for something that you do not need? laugh.gif
squall_kay
post Aug 17 2008, 05:17 AM

Look at all my stars!!
5,696 posts

i think it same. read somewhere around net. they are using same as P1i/w960
kenzhaiii
post Aug 17 2008, 07:36 AM

9 posts

is the photo quality for this model good enough??

i heard that it's a disappointment for a 5mp.

can some1 kindly show me some photo samples??

thx
smile.gif
royalz
post Aug 17 2008, 11:29 AM

On my way
642 posts

how to check if my firmware is the latest without installing SEUS?
LittleCow
post Aug 17 2008, 06:03 PM

Getting Started
185 posts

QUOTE(cyew86 @ Aug 17 2008, 02:59 AM)
why so expensive? for AP G700 is less than RM1000, while G900 is around RM1200
if u don't need the camera and wi-fi, just settle with G700, why pay for something that you do not need? laugh.gif
I guess for symbian phone, is better to get the original rather than AP set... biggrin.gif
cyew86
post Aug 17 2008, 06:05 PM

oh my ...
4,251 posts

QUOTE(LittleCow @ Aug 17 2008, 06:03 PM)
I guess for symbian phone, is better to get the original rather than AP set...  biggrin.gif
but in ur earlier post, u said those are AP price sweat.gif
but why would u think that for symbian phone it's better to get original instead?
LittleCow
post Aug 17 2008, 10:42 PM

Getting Started
185 posts

QUOTE(cyew86 @ Aug 17 2008, 06:05 PM)
but in ur earlier post, u said those are AP price sweat.gif
but why would u think that for symbian phone it's better to get original instead?
tried the original G700 today....and ended up buying the original C702....very nice phone...

(don't like g700 slow response...and hang...)... very impressed with the C702 new A200 platform...
very nice to use ! rclxms.gif simple,fast, visually pleasing !
demio121
post Aug 18 2008, 09:33 AM

Look at all my stars!!
2,084 posts

QUOTE(LittleCow @ Aug 17 2008, 10:42 PM)
tried the original G700 today....and ended up buying the original C702....very nice phone...

(don't like g700 slow response...and hang...)... very impressed with the C702 new A200 platform...
very nice to use !  rclxms.gif  simple,fast, visually pleasing !
That C702 dun use Symbian rite??? i am slowly getting use to the Symbian response. My friend bought the W350i and over the weekedn i was flipping it... make me wonder why a phone costinng less than half is much faster den mine but then over the wkend, my Google Mobile Map on my G900 help me find my way in a foreign country.
demio121
post Aug 18 2008, 09:47 AM

Look at all my stars!!
2,084 posts

QUOTE(masterzombie @ Aug 16 2008, 06:08 PM)
How to change the CDA of your G900
This thread is 32 pages long now and this has got to be THE post so far.

Thank you very very much.... ah pek like me really appreciate help like this.

130 Pages « < 30 31 32 33 34 > » Top
Topic ClosedOptions

Change to:
| Lo-Fi Version
0.0261sec    0.57    6 queries    GZIP Disabled
Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 08:30 PM