Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Outline · [ Standard ] · Linear+

Crazy Monkey Defense, A New MMA Martial Art

views

TSReuben
post Apr 20 2009, 05:41 PM, updated 15y ago

Firo
667 posts

Saw that there wasn't that much coverage of this MMA art that is actually available in Malaysia.

Please note that this is NOT the same martial art as Crazy Monkey Kungfu (which looks genuinely crazy ;P) and is not related to it tongue.gif

user posted image

Above Pic Taken from KDT site

KDT (http://www.kdta.com)
Studio 23 (http://www.studio23.my)
are two places that I know of that do offer this.

After about 16 years in Aikido (which I still maintain training), decided to try a more sparring based martial art and I'm enjoying it a lot. Just wondering if there were any fellow CMDers here?

For those who have not heard of CMD, it's basically a mixture of

1) Western boxing
2) Muay Thai
3) BJJ

So it's a combination of a striking and grappling with quite a few unique techniques and philosophies to it.

If there are any people who are interested in Kuching? Do feel free to join me!

I also started a training log at http://crazymonkeydefense.blogspot.com to those who are interested biggrin.gif

This post has been edited by Reuben: Apr 20 2009, 05:48 PM
myremi
post Apr 20 2009, 08:08 PM

Regular
1,846 posts

Where do u train in Kuching?

This post has been edited by myremi: Apr 20 2009, 08:23 PM
PrideNeverDie
post Apr 20 2009, 11:08 PM

Casual
403 posts

the video didn't really show anything...looks just like warming up.

so are there CMD competitions or do they fight in regular MMA fights but just that their focus is in the three areas of boxing, BJJ and muay thai.

IINM, most MMA practitioners already train in these 3 and are considered basic disciplines to master in order to be better all round as a mixed martial artist.

what are the unique philosophies and techniques u speak of?

TSReuben
post Apr 21 2009, 12:11 AM

Firo
667 posts

QUOTE(myremi @ Apr 20 2009, 08:08 PM)
Where do u train in Kuching?
In Studio 23, check the webbie linked! jalan keretapi there. Give me a pm if you are interested. The wife teaches dancing.

Added on April 21, 2009, 12:20 am
QUOTE(PrideNeverDie @ Apr 20 2009, 11:08 PM)
the video didn't really show anything...looks just like warming up.

so are there CMD competitions or do they fight in regular MMA fights but just that their focus is in the three areas of boxing, BJJ and muay thai.

IINM, most MMA practitioners already train in these 3 and are considered basic disciplines to master in order to be better all round as a mixed martial artist.

what are the unique philosophies and techniques u speak of?
Hey Pride, yeah I'm aware the video didn't show anything but that shows the basic CM1 movement which has actually been used by Rampage and Jason von Flue in UFC.

I believe Jason has openly praised CMD as a viable system.

Adam Shahir Kayoom, one of Malaysia's top MMA fighters who also happens to be a World Professional Muay Thai Champion and Muay Khmer Champion is also a CMD exponent and trainer and has also found it useful and incorporated elements of it into his Muay Thai fighting.

The art is quite new so at this point in time, there are no CMD competitions so they generally practice/compete in MMA environments.

Regarding what's unique, the most obvious would be the CM1 movement which is quite unique though I believe the best place to see it would be to go to the official website and take a look at http://www.crazymonkeydefense.com. But hey CMD is MMA but just embodies a more user friendly and safe training environment with a strong focus on good defense and footwork while being effective without having to devote too much training time to it biggrin.gif. It's MMA for the everyday guy which in no way I believe detracts from its effectiveness!

This post has been edited by Reuben: Apr 21 2009, 12:20 AM
SUSSeLrAhC
post Apr 21 2009, 03:07 AM

★★★7Star★General★★★
5,227 posts

what has this got to do with hnf ar? just wondering...

actually we got a mma thread already....

http://forum.lowyat.net/topic/959348

surehit is from kdta... old uncle.. has been there for ages i think

PrideNeverDie
post Apr 21 2009, 06:22 AM

Casual
403 posts

QUOTE(Reuben @ Apr 21 2009, 12:11 AM)
In Studio 23, check the webbie linked! jalan keretapi there. Give me a pm if you are interested. The wife teaches dancing.

Added on April 21, 2009, 12:20 am

Hey Pride, yeah I'm aware the video didn't show anything but that shows the basic CM1 movement which has actually been used by Rampage and Jason von Flue in UFC.

I believe Jason has openly praised CMD as a viable system.

Adam Shahir Kayoom, one of Malaysia's top MMA fighters who also happens to be a World Professional Muay Thai Champion and Muay Khmer Champion is also a CMD exponent and trainer and has also found it useful and incorporated elements of it into his Muay Thai fighting.

The art is quite new so at this point in time, there are no CMD competitions so they generally practice/compete in MMA environments.

Regarding what's unique, the most obvious would be the CM1 movement which is quite unique though I believe the best place to see it would be to go to the official website and take a look at http://www.crazymonkeydefense.com. But hey CMD is MMA but just embodies a more user friendly and safe training environment with a strong focus on good defense and footwork while being effective without having to devote too much training time to it biggrin.gif. It's MMA for the everyday guy which in no way I believe detracts from its effectiveness!
thanks for clarifying
TSReuben
post Apr 21 2009, 10:53 AM

Firo
667 posts

Anyway I've requested for a mod to move this to Sports where it belongs tongue.gif

Change to:
| Lo-Fi Version
0.0146sec    0.53    5 queries    GZIP Disabled
Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 06:03 PM