Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Outline · [ Standard ] · Linear+

IT Compter Science VS Computer Engineering, CS vs CE

views

TSKHOdin
post Apr 6 2009, 05:30 PM, updated 15y ago

7 Stars Newbie
2,927 posts

hi i am a form 5 student planing to take computing course next year in collage ...
any one can tell me whats the mainly different of this 2 courses ? if can tell me something about Electronic Engineering too

i had search some article about this 2 courses but i dont understand what they were trying to say >.<!

wad collage is good with computing ? my parents advice me to go KTAR is it good ?

This post has been edited by KHOdin: Apr 6 2009, 05:31 PM
WingKalimdor
post Apr 6 2009, 09:09 PM

Mirai-Chan
1,801 posts

Hi,

May I know you prefer more to calculation (logic) or more to theoretical?
If you were interested in computing better off and pay a visit to APIIT since their institution offered the subject almost pure in IT but they didn't offered computer science course. Last time when I study computer engineering at TARC, I love the lecturer because they willing to help but I surprise that my programming lecturer cannot solve the error in my Java Programming. Everything is normal just the facilities is a little bit outdated and the syllabus you going to learn is not updated. sad.gif
TSKHOdin
post Apr 6 2009, 10:30 PM

7 Stars Newbie
2,927 posts

calculation and theoretical mean by ?
can give some example ? sorry for the noob question i feel to going some edu fair but its all located on tuesday wendnesday ><!
or am i too early to get this information from now ??
hihihehe
post Apr 6 2009, 10:56 PM

10k Club
All Stars
13,450 posts

u should concentrate more on ur spm 1st
cks2k2
post Apr 6 2009, 11:06 PM

1,966 posts

QUOTE(WingKalimdor @ Apr 6 2009, 09:09 PM)
Hi,

May I know you prefer more to calculation (logic) or more to theoretical?
If you were interested in computing better off and pay a visit to APIIT since their institution offered the subject almost pure in IT but they didn't offered computer science course. Last time when I study computer engineering at TARC, I love the lecturer because they willing to help but I surprise that my programming lecturer cannot solve the error in my Java Programming. Everything is normal just the facilities is a little bit outdated and the syllabus you going to learn is not updated. sad.gif
APIIT is IT-heavy, but doesn't have CS IIRC.
You mention outdated syllabus - at TARC or APIIT? CS syllabus has not changed much in the last few decades.

QUOTE(KHOdin @ Apr 6 2009, 10:30 PM)
calculation and theoretical mean by ?
can give some example ? sorry for the noob question i feel to going some edu fair but its all located on tuesday wendnesday ><!
or am i too early to get this information from now ??
There is both calculation and theoretical stuff in CS.

CS is a very wide field, but roughly speaking =
1. Deals with what problems computers can and cannot solve. Some problems can't be solved ("will my program terminate?") or can't be solved fast even if you have the world's fastest computer or even a quantum computer crunching the numbers (computability theory, algorithm analysis etc)
2. Deals with the engineering of software: OO-analysis, formal specification and verification, re-usability, static program analysis etc (software engineering).
3. Other stuff like security (number theory etc), graphic and visualization (matrix math) etc...

CE is more of a mix of electrical + electronic engineering stuff that focuses on computer systems.
TSKHOdin
post Apr 6 2009, 11:16 PM

7 Stars Newbie
2,927 posts

hmm electrical and electronic engineering look like this is wad i wan ... is it about hardware ? mobo ? etc .. ?
dannysim
post Apr 6 2009, 11:27 PM

39 posts

sometime CS and computing nop too much different..... when ur come out to work... also as programmer, system analyst, IT support and so on..... got any different just some subject is different when studying only...

but CE and computing/CS is too much different because like cks2k2 mention just now CE is more of a mix of electrical + electronic engineering stuff that focuses on computer systems.

smile.gif
WingKalimdor
post Apr 6 2009, 11:37 PM

Mirai-Chan
1,801 posts

QUOTE(cks2k2 @ Apr 6 2009, 11:06 PM)
APIIT is IT-heavy, but doesn't have CS IIRC.
You mention outdated syllabus - at TARC or APIIT? CS syllabus has not changed much in the last few decades.
There is both calculation and theoretical stuff in CS.
I already mention earlier that APIIT doesn't provide CS except Software Engineering. Outdated facilities that I mention is TARC but no worries since they're doing parallel update right now. For the moment almost 20% of the computer laboratory enjoying the new system but the software doesn't seem to be much different since I know most of the software is provided by MSDNAA. CS focus more on calculation rather than theoretical because CS student's are train to know more about logic flow not managing flow. Although both Computer Science and Software Engineering is in a single IT family but the path they going to walk in future is slightly different. blush.gif

This theory is similar to green apple and red apple, both is in apple categories but the taste for green is sour and the taste for red is sweet. biggrin.gif

This post has been edited by WingKalimdor: Apr 6 2009, 11:44 PM
TSKHOdin
post Apr 6 2009, 11:43 PM

7 Stars Newbie
2,927 posts

actually i dont like math but i can do well in math mostly 80 marks+ but add math nono doh.gif
any one can give me an example for CE ? what is my way to move in future if taking CE ? any project is related to CE ?
WingKalimdor
post Apr 6 2009, 11:46 PM

Mirai-Chan
1,801 posts

QUOTE(KHOdin @ Apr 6 2009, 11:43 PM)
actually i dont like math but i can do well in math mostly 80 marks+ but add math nono doh.gif
any one can give me an example for CE ? what is my way to move in future if taking CE ? any project is related to CE ?
Why don't you ask Auntie Wiki instead?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Computer_engineering
cks2k2
post Apr 6 2009, 11:47 PM

1,966 posts

QUOTE(WingKalimdor @ Apr 6 2009, 11:37 PM)
CS focus more on calculation rather than theoretical because CS student's are train to know more about logic flow not managing flow.
That's not true. CS is freakin' heavy on theoretical stuff - the calculation is there to help formalize the theory. Have you ever done algorithm subjects before?
I don't get the logic flow not managing flow part - explain pls.

TS: CE ppl usually be doing stuff like circuit design, systems design etc.
WingKalimdor
post Apr 6 2009, 11:48 PM

Mirai-Chan
1,801 posts

QUOTE(cks2k2 @ Apr 6 2009, 11:47 PM)
That's not true. CS is freakin' heavy on theoretical stuff - the calculation is there to help formalize the theory. Have you ever done algorithm subjects before?
I don't get the logic flow not managing flow part - explain pls.

TS: CE ppl usually be doing stuff like circuit design, systems design etc.
Algorithms is more to logic not theory, I just ask my TARC lecturer through MSN. smile.gif
Logic is something like when you were calculating Fibonacci in algorithm, beside than a single way you could always find the alternative way to solve statement. If something were happen infront how it gonna go next, to right or left?? else turn back??
Theory is something like a fact that has proven true and must follow the law of how it work and how it be. Alternative could be substitute thou we mainly focus on fact. smile.gif

This post has been edited by WingKalimdor: Apr 6 2009, 11:55 PM
cks2k2
post Apr 6 2009, 11:59 PM

1,966 posts

QUOTE(WingKalimdor @ Apr 6 2009, 11:48 PM)
Algorithms is more to logic not theory, I just ask my TARC lecturer through MSN.  smile.gif
Let's see... ask him about:
1. Turing machine, Chomsky hierarchy, PDA, FSA etc
2. algorithm analysis and efficiency: the whole P, NP, halting problem etc
3. FLP, 2 generals problem, Byzantine generals problem, consistency models etc

These are all fundamental CS theories. You need good logic to understand them, to say algorithm is logic but less theory is wrong.
Theory tells you what is possible and what is not.

This post has been edited by cks2k2: Apr 7 2009, 12:01 AM
TSKHOdin
post Apr 7 2009, 12:03 AM

7 Stars Newbie
2,927 posts

still quite confusing about which to choose hope i can get the answer from edu fair >.<!

This post has been edited by KHOdin: Apr 7 2009, 12:05 AM
WingKalimdor
post Apr 7 2009, 12:14 AM

Mirai-Chan
1,801 posts

QUOTE(cks2k2 @ Apr 6 2009, 11:59 PM)
Let's see... ask him about:
1. Turing machine, Chomsky hierarchy, PDA, FSA etc
2. algorithm analysis and efficiency: the whole P, NP, halting problem etc
3. FLP, 2 generals problem, Byzantine generals problem, consistency models etc

These are all fundamental CS theories. You need good logic to understand them, to say algorithm is logic but less theory is wrong.
Theory tells you what is possible and what is not.
No offend but we need to undergo the step in a single chart and even in turing machine, there is a rules that we must follow in order to let S0 > S1. That is the most important part that student must understand. I've never said less theory, just it's more focus on practical even same concept in programming language, there were a theory in programming but who care, as long as you can build a program with the logic you understand. Sorry I'm not gonna list down all the thing that I can found inside my textbook and internet, it makes me kinda idiot. sweat.gif

This post has been edited by WingKalimdor: Apr 7 2009, 12:35 AM
takercena
post Apr 8 2009, 10:51 PM

Casual
327 posts

Hey you guys, TS want an answer, not a sarcastic comments. BTW, to TS if your add math is not good, just forget all the science course unless you got some extra money to spend at some private colleges later. Concentrate on your SPM first.

This post has been edited by takercena: Apr 8 2009, 10:52 PM
saturn85
post Apr 9 2009, 02:58 AM

Folding@home
8,683 posts

i think computer science is more on science and theoretical..
computer engineering is more on practical and application..

electronics engineering is study about electric circuits, like integrated circuit and maybe more on design..
TSKHOdin
post Apr 9 2009, 06:25 PM

7 Stars Newbie
2,927 posts

as i said above i am aiming for Ktar for Uni i dont think i can get a place mostly place are reserved for melay...this is wad my parents and cousin tell me
i would like more on practical work dont really like math or remembering things >.<!
hmm does CE combine physic and add maths ?
alloke613
post Apr 9 2009, 08:12 PM

1 posts

TarC only provide Diploma courses and Pre-U courses. If you want to get Diploma, TarC is a good choice but for degree, you only can get from university and not college. Or you can continue advance diploma in TarC then get a degree in UK. Another way is join degree course in other university after get your Diploma in college.

There is no way for you to go uni for degree with SPM level. You need a Pre-U level education such as Form 6 (STPM), A level, Matriculation, Australia Matriculation, foundation for the degree course or other Pre-U study. I do not know local uni offer foundation course or not but private uni are offering many kinds of foundations.

There are some differences between a Diploma and a Degree. Getting a degree is definitely better for your working next time. If your future boss want to promote someone to higher post, he will most probably promote the person with higher achievement and good working attitude as well.

There is no need to discuss against a "__ Science" course and a "___ Engineering" course. There surely will have some differences between the both. First is the course period, usually "science" course has shorter duration than "engineering" course because "science" course concern more on theory while "engineering" course will have a practical period (usually). This is one of the differences between 2 type of courses after some researches.

Since you are taking SPM this year, you should concentrate more on your SPM. SPM is not very tough if you willing to study. Add maths is not so hard too. Engineering course such as electrical engineering will have calculus which is differentiation and integration in Form 5 add maths. Without a strong add maths base, you will suffer in any engineering course. My friend studying in quantity survey also need to learn a lot of calculation. Same to electronic engineering, mechanical engineering and other science courses, there use a lot of mathematics which is harder than form 5 add maths.

Hope you can get well in your study...
takercena
post Apr 12 2009, 07:19 PM

Casual
327 posts

QUOTE(KHOdin @ Apr 9 2009, 06:25 PM)
as i said above i am aiming for Ktar for Uni i dont think i can get a place mostly place are reserved for melay...this is wad my parents and cousin tell me
i would like more on practical work dont really like math or remembering things >.<!
hmm does CE combine physic and add maths ?
Maybe you can get some idea if you spend some of your time in lower 6 in science/physic course after your SPM. It's free anyway, the fees hardly to reach RM 50 (school fees)

This post has been edited by takercena: Apr 12 2009, 07:19 PM

2 Pages  1 2 >Top

Change to:
| Lo-Fi Version
0.0180sec    0.13    5 queries    GZIP Disabled
Time is now: 29th March 2024 - 01:01 AM