Outline · [ Standard ] · Linear+

> CAT > ACCA or FOUNDATION > DEGREE > ACCA, Pls guide me

views

TScLone1991
post Mar 15 2009, 11:15 PM, updated 11y ago

Getting Started
Group: Junior Member

Hi , I am new here.

Just got my SPM results recently and i've made few researchs on accounting studies.

I am interested in CAT offered by SUNWAY UNIVERSITY COLLEGE.

But I am doubtful of it's marketability. As far as I concerned , CAT is a professional prgramme leading to ACCA , in other words it is not a degree programme.

My questions here are ,

Which is more marketable?
- To pursue professional studies ACCA after CAT without degree OR
- To pursue degree in accounting & finance after foundation then only i take ACCA

What are the differences?

What are the pros and cons in the future without a degree but only an ACCA qualifications?

If I were to seek for double degree in both law and accounting , what is the academic pathway starting from SPM?

Thanks ~ ^^

Hope to get replies soon biggrin.gif

siemens
post Mar 17 2009, 11:10 AM

Getting Started

err
i think if u are really determined to do accounting i think u should get into ACCA.

the ACCA will oso get you a degree too..
if not mistaken in the second year of the ACCA
u are required to write a 6000++ words essay and if u are qualified u will receive a degree from a UK university..

go to Sunway and ask more abt it...
EddieDotCom
post Mar 17 2009, 11:38 AM

Getting Started

QUOTE(siemens @ Mar 17 2009, 11:10 AM)
err
i think if u are really determined to do accounting i think u should get into ACCA.

the ACCA will oso get you a degree too..
if not mistaken in the second year of the ACCA
u are required to write a 6000++ words essay and if u are qualified u will receive a degree from a UK university..

go to Sunway and ask more abt it...
omg wtf ?
luckily i did not take accoutning courses
if not i would be dead =.=
Princess90
post Mar 17 2009, 12:04 PM

Getting Started

QUOTE(cLone1991 @ Mar 15 2009, 11:15 PM)
Hi , I am new here.

Just got my SPM results recently and i've made few researchs on accounting studies.

I am interested in CAT offered by SUNWAY UNIVERSITY COLLEGE.

But I am doubtful of it's marketability. As far as I concerned , CAT is a professional prgramme leading to ACCA , in other words it is not a degree programme.

My questions here are ,

Which is more marketable?
- To pursue professional studies ACCA after CAT without degree OR
- To pursue degree in accounting & finance after foundation then only i take ACCA

What are the differences?

What are the pros and cons in the future without a degree but only an ACCA qualifications?

If I were to seek for double degree in both law and accounting , what is the academic pathway starting from SPM?

Thanks ~ ^^

Hope to get replies soon biggrin.gif
If you take CAT then ACCA, u only learn pure accounting stuff. Not much of the management/admin stuff. Correct me if I'm wrong. Not too sure bout that. But I think you need lesser time to complete CAT and ACCA than going through pre-u, degree, then ACCA.
Well, if u pursue the degree, u can proceed to Masters n even PhD. So I guess there's an advantage of having a degree compared to ACCA.
Eugene91
post Mar 17 2009, 12:30 PM

Look at all my stars!!
Group: Senior Member

What if u take CAT 1st and gain working experience and then advance for a degree at Open University malaysia? If i do that would it be good? If i dont continue to ACCA 1st?

@clone1991
Sorry i use ur thread i have the same problem as u now ^^..
Valentineday
post Mar 17 2009, 12:44 PM

Casual

a professional cert is always better than normal degree...ACCA is recognize nation wide, normal degree u take from UK might not recognize by Australia..if u wana bcome accountant my advice go for ACCA
louis6
post Mar 17 2009, 02:13 PM

D3V1L

that means moz ppl here prefer CAT> ACCA??
khaishin
post Mar 17 2009, 02:36 PM

happyQ

Depends.
I prefer degree first, to get soft skills and others.
Depend on individual needs.
Sicarius
post Mar 17 2009, 04:15 PM

Getting Started

Even if you get degree 1st,you will eventually pursue ACCA/CPA/CIMA to be one of the memebers of MIA.Only then you will be known as an accountant.

Get degree 1st if you would like to develop your soft skills.The CAT-->ACCA route is straight cut through and fast but it is only exam orientated,no assignments,group works whatsoever. Oh, and from what I heard,you need to be really motivated and hardworking if you take up the CAT->ACCA route.All the best to you.
alsree786
post Mar 17 2009, 04:28 PM

Enthusiast

whoa seriously, i dunno where some of u get your info.

@ siemens

no acca, wun get u a degree oso. unless u are talking about the tarc prog, which is a unique acca prog. acca is a prof qual on its own. if u opt for the oxford brookes route, u will be an ox brookes grad.

@ princess

ACCA is considered by many unis as a degree equivalent, along with other notable progs like CIMA, ACA so on. hence, with acca u can go on to do masters prog that are related to acct, finance and business in general. for other fields, it would depend on the uni. E.g. ACCA grads can head to Notthingham for MBA, or Sunway for the MBA (finance) under Manchester.

I would recommend doing a degree first then do acca after. this is for a number of reasons:

a) acca is a pure exam based paper, it doesn't help u with 'soft skills'. Furthermore, it is easier to complete ACCA part time while u work then the other way around.

b) when u finish ACCA, you will be an affiliate. You will need 2 or 3 years relevant working experience before you can be an ACCA member. This may or may not be important to you, but for me, because of migration purposes, it is only upon gaining membership to the body that u can be considered an Accountant.

c) a degree will give u wider options for masters prog. As an ACCA grad, i was unable to take LLM (for non law grads)...e.g.

d) some still argue that prof qual 'grads' are not graduates per se. Even though ACCA is internationally reknowned, it is still probably better to do a degree. In my year, there were about 2000 to 4000 acca grads in Malaysia ( cant remember the exact figure)...there were a dozen in Australia. So its obvious that such a paper is not well recognised there, just an e.g.

karhoe
post Mar 17 2009, 09:12 PM

www.karhoe.net

Well, when you do ACCA, there is an option to get BA in Applied Accounting under OBU, it's a collaboration with ACCA

I do agree ACCA is pure exam based, everyday you only learn to pass the exam, no presentation, no course work. But life is hell, it's not easy.

It won't help to nurture your communication skills, but if you think you can cope with it, if you are an extrovert, it should be fine
violin_player84
post Mar 17 2009, 09:19 PM

Getting Started

there is a reason why ppl still got for a degree first before acca.

think about tat..SERIOUSLY
jepertine90
post Mar 17 2009, 10:49 PM

Dean Chan

Last time i was thinking the same way too... about CAT>ACCA...
But it seem that CAT>ACCA = EXAM x1000... without any soft-skill, business knowledge, management knowledge and so-on...

However, CAT>ACCA only take around 2 1/2 years if you take maximum paper for each exam... ofcourse with passing all the paper... but it requires tons and tons of determination to do so~ While degree route takes you about 4-5 years(normal degree course)~

I'm taking degree course route, which is much more relaxing way(still pretty tough) compared to CAT>ACCA.

Is all depends on your decision, I'm just giving my opinion and thought~
booooster
post Mar 17 2009, 10:57 PM

Gadget Guy

QUOTE(jepertine90 @ Mar 17 2009, 10:49 PM)
Last time i was thinking the same way too... about CAT>ACCA...
But it seem that CAT>ACCA = EXAM x1000... without any soft-skill, business knowledge, management knowledge and so-on...

However, CAT>ACCA only take around 2 1/2 years if you take maximum paper for each exam... ofcourse with passing all the paper... but it requires tons and tons of determination to do so~ While degree route takes you about 4-5 years(normal degree course)~

I'm taking degree course route, which is much more relaxing way(still pretty tough) compared to CAT>ACCA.

Is all depends on your decision, I'm just giving my opinion and thought~
yes m also like u jus finished my degree and starting Ps papers in ACCA

I think that is slightly easier
khaishin
post Mar 18 2009, 12:48 AM

happyQ

The reason I chose degree path not because of the easiness but to learn more soft skills as personally I'm an introvert. lolz
MasterMosquito
post Mar 18 2009, 12:58 PM

Getting Started

Hey! Im going Sunway CAT next Monday. I would prefer this route(CAT>ACCA) as this provides you an ACCA profession and a degree recognized around the world(in 3 years minimum). I've did some research in TARC. The TARC route is Diploma>Advance diploma>ACCA. This route does provide a degree too, but only recognized in Malaysia. If you want globally recognized, you have to take another degree in UK(3-4 months) that costs around 45k.

Is it true that the degree provided in Sunway needs you to write around 6000+ words, but hey, you can finish a degree in 3 months! What's wrong with paying much more effort to finish something faster?

Anyway, if you're going to take Foundation>Degree>ACCA, you will get 9 papers exempted in ACCA. But what i know about the 3-year-degree is that you will take the ACCA syllabus too. My sister told me that she had a few ACCA syllabus in her Business Admin degree. So it's actually more likely the same.

If you take CAT>ACCA route, you get to 100% focus into accounting. You dont have to worry about other subjects/assignments. Though, it's a very tough route, you need to commit 100% in your studies, but of course do not over pressure yourself.

Please, correct me if I'm wrong. I apologize in advance.
khaishin
post Mar 18 2009, 03:16 PM

happyQ

All in all, that's depend on what do you need.

Degree path can let you learn more soft skills and expand your social circle.
In today's competitive world, we can't only master certain subjects and put aside soft skills.

Everyone has different needs, you are the only decider for your own future.
Topace111
post Mar 19 2009, 01:06 AM

Regular

It depends on your capability & objective
Many people I met in my advance acca level already have a degree (almost half from UK, Australia or US) & majority are working in international firms like Big 4 so eventually even you have a degree you still need prof qualification :
1) Recognition = Work in many parts of the world
2) Salary =
3) Promotion
4) Versatility

Most of the people I met admit acca is tougher than degree as the scope of syllabus is much wider.
If you are confident of you ability then go straight to ACCA since when you graduate your status is higher than degree holder but if you fail its quite different. ACCA does have any unenviable pass rates of around 30% to 40%.

But one thing is true that ACCA does not teach soft skills, acca don't teach at all they just let you take exam.
So you need to take self initiative & be quite independent to learn all these soft skills by yourself. Time of spoon-feeding is over at this level.
kenixkenix
post Mar 19 2009, 01:13 AM

hai kawan kawan

cat>acca iz the way
agc188
post Mar 19 2009, 07:49 AM

Getting Started

CAT(1yr)--> ACCA (1.5 yrs),

is faster as compared to:

A-level/foundation(1yr)-->degree(3-4yr, depend the kind of degree u take, usually Bac in Acc 4 yrs)--->ACCA (1 yr)

most of my friend n i finished my cat+acca in 2.5yrs. cheers smile.gif

2 Pages  1 2 >Top

Bump Topic Add ReplyOptions New Topic

Switch to:
| Lo-Fi Version
0.0889sec    2.19    5 queries    GZIP Disabled
Time is now: 25th June 2019 - 01:27 PM