Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

RSS feedBump TopicReply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

Outline · [ Standard ] · Linear+

> about NTU admission requirement., need some help here.

Cycorn
post Mar 13 2009, 01:38 AM

Group: Junior Member

I just got my stpm result a few days ago, and now im really confused.
I got 2A , 1A- and 1B as result, but i did very bad in my muet and only got a band 4, with 38 as the writing score.
So can I still enter NTU by any chance?

and any recommendation for courses?
thanks!
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Soralicious
post Mar 13 2009, 02:30 PM

Getting Started

the course i'd recommend you is the course you desire for.. choose something you like.

you got a poor muet result? it doesnt matter, they accept 1119 also. if not, there is still a thing called IELTS tongue.gif
+Quote Post
oxalato
post Mar 13 2009, 03:13 PM

On my way
Group: Senior Member

they don't really care about your muet as much as your alevels/stpm results. just that if you get a band 6 with a minimum of certain score for writing then you get exemption from sitting for the Qualifying English Test(QET).

QET is just a test to judge your level of english. if your ace it then you need not take an extra english module. and if you fail it , just need to take extra english module.
+Quote Post
Cycorn
post Mar 14 2009, 01:58 AM

then about psychology, what's the requirement for it?
+Quote Post
XmT
post Mar 14 2009, 05:42 AM

just general requirement, apply first
I and some of my friends applied last year, though i didn't make it into NTU, but my friend is studying in psychology, and her result is the best in our school, all aces
just give yourself a try, though it is quite though for non-singaporean to enter
+Quote Post
Cycorn
post Mar 14 2009, 11:08 PM

what about nus?
minimum requirement of 221 for muet is a must?
i only got 218 for it, so does that means i have no chance at all for entering nus?

+Quote Post
wgy589
post Mar 14 2009, 11:28 PM

Enthusiast

yup, so sorry, but u shld try ur luck.
+Quote Post
Cycorn
post Mar 14 2009, 11:46 PM

ya hope for the best.
+Quote Post
24wishes
post Apr 8 2009, 05:17 AM

Hey guys.

I'm new around here but like everyone else, i share the common; pondering non-stop with my application outcome to Singapore Universities.

I've read earlier posts and replies and it did manage to help me answer some of my enquiries. However, the itch remains. I need to express my dilemma. I hope the guys around would lend a ear (or maybe an eye haha..)

First of all, congrats to those scoring flats in their stpm examination. It is unnatural if i say i do not envy you. But like what has been quoted earlier, can't cry over spilled milk. True and fair enough.

Still, like i said, I need to get this out from my heart. Was practically worrying as date of outcome draws nearer. Randomly googled and got myself here in this section of the forum.

It is of course very uncertain, but i would love to hear your opinions on my application. I am just desperately seeking for words of comfort. I believe the experienced from around would be of great assistance.

Cutting to the cake, i did not do very well in STPM. I only manage to obtain 3A- and 1B+ in chemistry. Giving me a 3.58 CGPA.

I hold a Band 5 MUET (248)

Other achievements are

Honorary Award for National Math Olympiad and Bronze Medalist in National Physics Competition/Olympiad. (Though i've heard from my seniors that they do not really play such an important role. Grades are their priority)

I've applied for (in order of choice)

Mathematical Sciences
Computer Engineering
Applied Physics
E&E
Mech. Engineering

in NTU. The following is for NUS

Science
Computer Engineering
Computing
Mechanical Engineering
E&E

I see a lot of opinions regarding Engineering and etc. Does anyone happen to be familiar with Sciences? Especially Math Science?

I've also written an essay for NUS application, right to the maximum no. of characters required. I hope that helps in a way...

Thanks in advance guys...

This post has been edited by 24wishes: Apr 8 2009, 05:25 AM
+Quote Post
teddydream99
post Apr 9 2009, 08:17 PM

QUOTE(24wishes @ Apr 8 2009, 05:17 AM)
Hey guys.

I'm new around here but like everyone else, i share the common; pondering non-stop with my application outcome to Singapore Universities.

I've read earlier posts and replies and it did manage to help me answer some of my enquiries. However, the itch remains. I need to express my dilemma. I hope the guys around would lend a ear (or maybe an eye haha..)

First of all, congrats to those scoring flats in their stpm examination. It is unnatural if i say i do not envy you. But like what has been quoted earlier, can't cry over spilled milk. True and fair enough.

Still, like i said, I need to get this out from my heart. Was practically worrying as date of outcome draws nearer. Randomly googled and got myself here in this section of the forum.

It is of course very uncertain, but i would love to hear your opinions on my application. I am just desperately seeking for words of comfort. I believe the experienced from around would be of great assistance.

Cutting to the cake, i did not do very well in STPM. I only manage to obtain 3A- and 1B+ in chemistry. Giving me a 3.58 CGPA.

I hold a Band 5 MUET (248)

Other achievements are

Honorary Award for National Math Olympiad and Bronze Medalist in National Physics Competition/Olympiad. (Though i've heard from my seniors that they do not really play such an important role. Grades are their priority)

I've applied for (in order of choice)

Mathematical Sciences
Computer Engineering
Applied Physics
E&E
Mech. Engineering

in NTU. The following is for NUS

Science
Computer Engineering
Computing
Mechanical Engineering
E&E

I see a lot of opinions regarding Engineering and etc. Does anyone happen to be familiar with Sciences? Especially Math Science?

I've also written an essay for NUS application, right to the maximum no. of characters required. I hope that helps in a way...

Thanks in advance guys...
Hai, Melissa here
Congratz for your good stpm results
I'm a Malaysian too, I can understood the helplesss feeling when no one guide you, bla bla bla, haha...
ok
my stpm is 3.33 3 yrs ago, muet 217, band 4, SPM 1119 is C4, fail to get into neither NTU or NUS
work for a year and direct 2nd year entry into Ngee Ann Poly biomedical Science
gpa 3.67 for first 5semester, should consider as "SAFE", however i was called up for an interview under discretionary admission

If i'm not wrong, if you write an essay, they will put you under discretionary section where you should have excellent CCA
I was confused being called up for that interview as I didn't applied under this scheme
The professors did explain it to me that this year is too competitive as local A level/JC students scored too well
my friends with cgpa slightly lower than me were offered with Chemistry, which were their second choice.
They do look at your English standards, but stpm results came first, or I won't be able to secured Life Science in NUS with muet band 4, which is a very hot course. BTW, NUS didn't look at CCA at all, for SG students, unless you applied through discretionary scheme, ya the essay writing stuff.

Frankly, I don't think you stand a high chance of getting in NUS Life Sciences... sorry for any hard feeling caused.
However, I do think you stand some chance of getting in NTU math Sci...

NUS is not the best university in Singapore, the matter is which course you preferred. Don't blindly dying to get in NUS because of it's good name.
NTU also offer course better than NUS, such as engineering.

you can refer to the link below to view what is the minimum cgpa for singapore students to get in NUS, NTU or SMU in year 2008.
It is not for 2009, but can give you some ideas... actually last year is very competitive too as got a lot of dragon babies, this year might be due to recession.
i got cgpa 3.75 after boosted up by final sem results, but was still under CONSIDERATION using first five sem of 3.67, which is within the 90th percentile in year 2009.

NUS

http://i653.photobucket.com/albums/uu256/notagain/NUS.jpg

NTU

http://i653.photobucket.com/albums/uu256/notagain/NTU.jpg

SMU

http://i653.photobucket.com/albums/uu256/notagain/SMU.jpg

Hope you don't faint after all these details, haha
just ask me about anything study in SG, I am very helpful, haha~ shocking.gif

Added on April 9, 2009, 8:21 pmya, i was accepted into NUS life science after they received my final sem result with gpa of 3.97, boosted my cgpa from 3.67 to 3.75

Added on April 9, 2009, 9:31 pmah, for your information, only people lack of confident in their academic results applied via discretionary scheme as a back up
this scheme only consist of 10% of total students who getting admitted, where the applicant can be people with 4years working experiences, students with excellent results and good CCA (ya, some Singaporean are very kiasu, my friend got 3.9 also want to write the essay...)
I was totally upset when I knew I was interviewed under this scheme, as you can see the people under this scheme is like crouching tiger hidden dragon, haha
but luckily i still managed to survive the interview!
I believed that results are prior than CCA

This post has been edited by teddydream99: Apr 9 2009, 09:36 PM
+Quote Post
24wishes
post Apr 10 2009, 02:53 AM

Hi melissa.

Thank you so much for the reply, i waited 2 days and was very much pleased to see that someone has answered.

Not only that, i find that the links you have given me and your wise opinions to be very useful. Kudos to that too.

Um, i'm not really hoping for Life Sciences. For both NTU and NUS, my first choice is Mathematical Sciences. In NTU, math science is an individual option. But in NUS, all the sciences like math/physics/chemistry are categorized under "Science".

So i think you misunderstood a little bit with what i meant. Science under NUS as stated in my post does not refer to Life Sciences. It actually represents all the 15 Major Sciences. More importantly, my choice which is mathematical science.

I've checked their website and am very confirmed. Was a little dazzled initially too when i applied and see no course called "mathematical science". Only discovered later that it is actually represented under Science.

Don't know if it is the same for previous years. Maybe they have changed the system.

But it is very pleasing to hear from you that i stand a chance to get Mathematical Science in NTU.

I agree when with you that I can't just blindly and desperately want NUS or NTU just because of their name. Of course not.

Thank you again so much for replying! It really brings some relief to the heart.

Smiles

By the way, the essay part is under the outstanding achievements section. I don't think it is what you are referring to. They just ask me to explain further about the achievements i have filled in.

Lucky for me, I have an honorary award in National Olympiad Math and a Bronze medalist in National Physics Competition. I hope it boosts my chances for admission. What do you think?

I'm just very afraid that when they see my results (3A- and 1B+) it won't be good enough for them. Not even a single A! sad.gif All A minus... sighhhh

This post has been edited by 24wishes: Apr 10 2009, 02:58 AM
+Quote Post
pinknotebook
post Apr 10 2009, 05:34 PM

Getting Started

24 wishes, I think you did very well! Congratulations, I feel optimistic about your acceptance smile.gif

I only scored 3.5 CGPA and have no Olympiads under my belt. Just some small events that can technically be listed under International and National. I applied too for FASS and my stomache is in knots thinking about the outcome of the application.

Hello Melissa, thank you for the links! Very helpful notworthy.gif Would just like to know, what do they mean by 90th percentile and 10th percentile?

Added on April 10, 2009, 5:39 pmoh, and how do we apply for a discretionary scheme? I've never heard about it doh.gif do you mean if we submit the essay under outstanding achievement, we are automatically signed up under the discretionary scheme?

When I submitted my form i realized they changed the format of my essay. They Capped all my alphabets and removed my paragraphs and lines. It didn't look like an essay at all sad.gif I spent 2/3 weeks and 5 drafts writing that essay and it felt like a big waste of time when i saw what happened to it.

This post has been edited by pinknotebook: Apr 10 2009, 05:39 PM
+Quote Post
24wishes
post Apr 11 2009, 05:30 AM

Hey pink.

Same here. My essay was morphed into a sea of capped-words. Doesn't look like an essay at all. Haha. So do not freight. I guess it is normal.

Aw and thanks so much for the optimism. What makes you say so by the way?

You seem to have the same qualifications as me. So you should be feeling positive about the outcome as well. smile.gif

Oh, and thanks for the reply!

Added on April 11, 2009, 5:32 am
QUOTE(24wishes @ Apr 11 2009, 05:30 AM)
Hey pink.

Same here. My essay was morphed into a sea of capped-words. Doesn't look like an essay at all. Haha. So do not freight. I guess it is normal.

Aw and thanks so much for the optimism. What makes you say so by the way? My stomach still churns each time when I think of the grades instead of the cgpa. I mean, all A minuses! sad.gif I hope they wouldn't consider it as nonsense-grades. ><

You seem to have the same qualifications as me. So you should be feeling positive about the outcome as well. smile.gif

This post has been edited by 24wishes: Apr 11 2009, 05:32 AM
+Quote Post
w00ty
post Apr 12 2009, 02:23 AM

Hey Melissa,

My situation was pretty similar to yours. I didn't take STPM but i went straight to Singapore Poly after my SPM. Initially,i didn't put high hopes getting into NTU/NUS with high competition from JC students especially this year where there are more students scoring straight As! But i made it in the end to NTU.

So TS, you might have a glimmer of hope. But that would roughly depends on the 10th percentile and 90th percentile which u can view it in their website. You also need to check up on the popularity of your course. If it is less popular you have higher chance of getting in.

Did you apply for this year intake? You should be getting your offer letter around this time. But NUS normally release their offer letter earlier than NTU. My friend got her offer letter somewhere in March.

Regards,
Calvin
+Quote Post
pinknotebook
post Apr 12 2009, 10:17 AM

Getting Started

QUOTE(24wishes @ Apr 11 2009, 05:30 AM)
Hey pink.

Aw and thanks so much for the optimism. What makes you say so by the way?

Added on April 11, 2009, 5:32 am
I was so devastated with my essay, I tried to redeem it by submitting a slightly edited version of it to the NUS USP Programme xD My sister scolded me for it doh.gif

I am optimistic because I have friends and family who are optimistic for me, and since you fared better than me I am optimistic for you too biggrin.gif

I keep hearing people talking about 90th and 10th percentiles. I really hope someone can enlighten me. My CGPA is right around the middle rclxub.gif

PS: Calvin, I thought the results would be released earliest by May, latest by June. They release their results in batches.

Regards tongue.gif

Fern

This post has been edited by pinknotebook: Apr 12 2009, 10:18 AM
+Quote Post
toiletking2006
post Apr 12 2009, 11:35 AM

Hey pink,
There is nothing to worry about your result, as the Indicative Grade Profile shown by melissa is only applied to Singaporean.
BTW, u can found more about tat in the website below:
http://admissions.nus.edu.sg/sprogramme-igp.html

+Quote Post
w00ty
post Apr 12 2009, 05:22 PM

QUOTE(pinknotebook @ Apr 12 2009, 10:17 AM)
I was so devastated with my essay, I tried to redeem it by submitting a slightly edited version of it to the NUS USP Programme xD My sister scolded me for it  doh.gif

I am optimistic because I have friends and family who are optimistic for me, and since you fared better than me I am optimistic for you too biggrin.gif

I keep hearing people talking about 90th and 10th percentiles. I really hope someone can enlighten me. My CGPA is right around the middle  rclxub.gif

PS: Calvin, I thought the results would be released earliest by May, latest by June. They release their results in batches.

Regards tongue.gif

Fern
Hey Fern,

If your inside the bell curve, theoretically your qualifications has met the requirements. Mine was in the middle too. I had no idea though. My fren

told me she got her NUS offer letter in late March. I am quite shocked by the efficiency of the admission office. Maybe they released it early to the

local admission first. You only applied to NUS? Which course are you interested? You were previously A level or STPM student? I think essay don't

really play a major part. Maybe important when you are appealing. I only wrote a short essay. V short tongue.gif Couldn't be bothered about writing long ><

Regards tongue.gif

Calvin

This post has been edited by w00ty: Apr 12 2009, 05:24 PM
+Quote Post
Tangiers
post Apr 12 2009, 05:42 PM

Getting Started

Hi guys,

From my experience with scholarship application results' announcement, I believe NTU release their results in batches. The most deserving/clear-cut candidates will receive their admittance earlier. The borderline cases will receive theirs later (up to a couple of weeks maybe 3 weeks), subject to (maybe) rejections from the candidates who got offers first. It's the same thing with internship applications. So I guess admission applications are treated similarly. So I guess you shouldn't worry as long as you haven't received rejection letter. But if you haven't received anything after quite some time (say 3-4 or more weeks after the outcomes are announced), then your chances should be slim already.

Wishes, I've asked a couple of my friends about whether 3.58 is able to enter maths in NTU. Waiting for their reply; will update you.

This post has been edited by Tangiers: Apr 12 2009, 05:49 PM
+Quote Post
24wishes
post Apr 12 2009, 11:41 PM

Thanks a bunch tangiers! And cool ur from Melaka as well! Oh hail the historic city! hahaha

Yea, i've applied Maths for NUS as well. Or better yet known as just Science since they categorize the whole 15 major of Science subjects into one term.

Hmmm, may i ask what is this about application outcome in March?

To Pink, yea, they say the application outcome for NUS is around mid of May as stated in their website's FAQ.

As for NTU, it is clearly stated there that for STPM applicants, estimated outcome is this month, April. Here's the link http://admissions.ntu.edu.sg/International...tionStatus.aspx

And thank you so much for the optimism. It really helps in lifting the weights on my heart. Man, do i hate this feeling!

Cheers!

This post has been edited by 24wishes: Apr 12 2009, 11:44 PM
+Quote Post
Tangiers
post Apr 13 2009, 05:00 PM

Getting Started

QUOTE(24wishes @ Apr 12 2009, 11:41 PM)
Thanks a bunch tangiers! And cool ur from Melaka as well! Oh hail the historic city! hahaha

Yea, i've applied Maths for NUS as well. Or better yet known as just Science since they categorize the whole 15 major of Science subjects into one term.

To Pink, yea, they say the application outcome for NUS is around mid of May as stated in their website's FAQ.

As for NTU, it is clearly stated there that for STPM applicants, estimated outcome is this month, April. Here's the link http://admissions.ntu.edu.sg/International...tionStatus.aspx

And thank you so much for the optimism. It really helps in lifting the weights on my heart. Man, do i hate this feeling!

Cheers!
You're from Melaka? What school?

Since NTU say April, just wait and see then.
+Quote Post
24wishes
post Apr 13 2009, 05:53 PM

From Melaka High School. And you?

By the way, any answers from your friends regarding Math Science in NUS or NTU? biggrin.gif
+Quote Post
pinknotebook
post Apr 13 2009, 07:59 PM

Getting Started

QUOTE(toiletking2006 @ Apr 12 2009, 11:35 AM)
Hey pink,
There is nothing  to worry about your result, as the Indicative Grade Profile shown by melissa is only applied to Singaporean.
BTW, u can found more about tat in the website below:
http://admissions.nus.edu.sg/sprogramme-igp.html
Hello toi,

I'm using it as a rough bench mark to where my chances stand. Technically I think international applicants will have it harder on them as we consist of only 20% of the yearly intake sad.gif sighs!

Thank you for the link though smile.gif

QUOTE(w00ty @ Apr 12 2009, 05:22 PM)
Hey Fern,

If your inside the bell curve, theoretically your qualifications has met the requirements. Mine was in the middle too. I had no idea though. My fren

told me she got her NUS offer letter in late March. I am quite shocked by the efficiency of the admission office. Maybe they released it early to the

local admission first. You only applied to NUS? Which course are you interested? You were previously A level or STPM student? I think essay don't

really play a major part. Maybe important when you are appealing. I only wrote a short essay. V short tongue.gif Couldn't be bothered about writing long ><

Regards

Calvin
Hey Calvin,

You're studying in NUS right now? Which course? I might be in the requirement curve but there's tough competition from all the top scorers internationally. I can't help but worry doh.gif I was checking another forum. A few of the forummers (5A scorers) already received their results and are waiting for their offer letter. My application however is still pending icon_question.gif

I am very interested in the study of human behavior, so I applied for FASS in NUS to study Sociology. I applied to NTU too, but people are telling me NTU is more of a science school. I hope a student from NTU Social Science Dpt can give me some insight on the environment and education style there. My last choice is local uni blush.gif because i'm itching to experience a new environment, outside Selangor, outside Malaysia. I did STPM smile.gif Save moneyflies.gif for S'pore! hehe

Regards doh.gif
Fern

QUOTE(24wishes @ Apr 12 2009, 11:41 PM)

Cheers!
Hey 24!

The intake for Science students is quite high for NUS. So is the intake for FASS laugh.gif I hope we both get in! I was reading another forum, some forummers (who scored 5 A's) already received their results and are awaiting offer letter. My insides churn waiting for mine

I'll check my NTU status in a while, gymming first! =)
+Quote Post
w00ty
post Apr 13 2009, 09:18 PM

Hey Calvin,

You're studying in NUS right now? Which course? I might be in the requirement curve but there's tough competition from all the top scorers internationally. I can't help but worry doh.gif I was checking another forum. A few of the forummers (5A scorers) already received their results and are waiting for their offer letter. My application however is still pending icon_question.gif

I am very interested in the study of human behavior, so I applied for FASS in NUS to study Sociology. I applied to NTU too, but people are telling me NTU is more of a science school. I hope a student from NTU Social Science Dpt can give me some insight on the environment and education style there. My last choice is local uni blush.gif because i'm itching to experience a new environment, outside Selangor, outside Malaysia. I did STPM smile.gif Save moneyflies.gif for S'pore! hehe

Regards doh.gif
Fern
Hi Fern,

Nope. I have just received my offer letter for direct entry to 2nd year for Electrical and Electronic Engineering course. NTU to be specific is more into Engineering. NUS would fit better in your "science school" term. Don't worry, there is still hope. NTU for example has a period from 15th of April to 5th of June for students who received their offer letters to accept or reject. So if those students reject, the offer will be automatically passed to another person. The same goes to NUS. So don't give up yet smile.gif. Hope to see you in Singapore.

Regards smile.gif
Calvin
+Quote Post
24wishes
post Apr 13 2009, 11:44 PM

Hey pink. What do you mean some already received their results and are waiting for the offer letter? As in their status via the website says they are accepted?

That's pretty fast though, considering they said the outcome would be around mid May. Ah, no wonder! 5As candidates. ><

It'll be so cool if both of us get in. Guess we share most of it in common; results, achievements, probability of getting in. My prayers and wishes that you get into FASS too.

Hey if both of us get in lets rendezvous there! Hahaha Gosh I'm talking as though we're most likely getting it. Least the feeling is nice. Puts me on leave from all the tension and depression.

Good luck to both of us! Not forgetting the others too smile.gif
+Quote Post
Tangiers
post Apr 14 2009, 01:35 PM

Getting Started

QUOTE(24wishes @ Apr 13 2009, 05:53 PM)
From Melaka High School. And you?

By the way, any answers from your friends regarding Math Science in NUS or NTU? biggrin.gif
MHS also. lol I'm Class of '06 Alpha. I go to school from time to time. You might have seen me, or not. Anyway, just wait for your application. I believe Calvin explained the situation quite well. Do you apply to other universities? Make sure your IPTA apps are in order.
+Quote Post
24wishes
post Apr 14 2009, 02:19 PM

Class 06' Alpha. So you should be 2 years older than me. Were you from SFI previously?

And yes I've applied for IPTA as well. Not putting too much stars in it. Like pink (and this is another thing we share in common) IPTA is my last resort.

I have this bad hunch that I'll end up there though. sad.gif
*miserable sighs*

It's already mid april. No news yet. This wave of anxiety is becoming more difficult to handle.

Regards,
Adrian
+Quote Post
pinknotebook
post Apr 14 2009, 08:45 PM

Getting Started

QUOTE(w00ty @ Apr 13 2009, 09:18 PM)
Hi Fern,

Nope. I have just received my offer letter for direct entry to 2nd year for Electrical and Electronic Engineering course. NTU to be specific is more into Engineering. NUS would fit better in your "science school" term. Don't worry, there is still hope. NTU for example has a period from 15th of April to 5th of June for students who received their offer letters to accept or reject. So if those students reject, the offer will be automatically passed to another person. The same goes to NUS. So don't give up yet smile.gif. Hope to see you in Singapore.

Regards  smile.gif
Calvin
QUOTE(24wishes @ Apr 13 2009, 11:44 PM)
Hey pink. What do you mean some already received their results and are waiting for the offer letter? As in their status via the website says they are accepted?

That's pretty fast though, considering they said the outcome would be around mid May. Ah, no wonder! 5As candidates. ><

It'll be so cool if both of us get in. Guess we share most of it in common; results, achievements, probability of getting in. My prayers and wishes that you get into FASS too.

Hey if both of us get in lets rendezvous there! Hahaha Gosh I'm talking as though we're most likely getting it. Least the feeling is nice. Puts me on leave from all the tension and depression.

Good luck to both of us! Not forgetting the others too smile.gif
Hello Cal and Adrian,

Yes some STPM students checked their application results and it was furnished with information of the course they have been offered as well as when the offer letter was sent to them and when they are expected to reach them rclxub.gif i want to know my results as soon as possible, but at the same time i feel that i'm not ready for them either. hehe

Anyway, I really hope me and Adrian will be able to join Calvin in Singapore. Wouldn't it be fun to arrange a LY gathering there and get our senior forummers to show us around? biggrin.gif (wah, ambitious! rolleyes.gif )

This post has been edited by pinknotebook: Apr 14 2009, 09:20 PM
+Quote Post
24wishes
post Apr 14 2009, 11:43 PM

Haha pink!

*heart flutters with excitement*

We are indeed being a little bit ambitious. I like the optimism! biggrin.gif

*contradiction seeping in* - but i'm afraid of the soreness of disappointment especially when we start to get our hopes high.

>< someone smack my head and tell me to stop being such a fart.

And pink, i feel the same way too! i so want to know my results as soon as possible. At the same time, my heart fears for it may not be well enough to take it.

:S Such complexity. Grrrr

Wooo, so they really got them! Amazing.... So fast weiiii...

Did they receive the email as well? which comes first by the way? email or update in status link? :S
+Quote Post
songhan89
post Apr 14 2009, 11:56 PM

-Hankerchizf-

Note that MUET does not matter at all. You will need to take an entry english qualification test when you come into NUS or NTU. Those who fail the entry english test, which most malaysians normally do, will have to take extra english course for 1 semester.

The english course is actually pretty good, it's different from the usual english course. You actually can learn something new even though you might have mastered english languange pretty well already.
+Quote Post
XxAC3xX
post Apr 15 2009, 12:07 AM

Casual

wanted to noe hw long it takes to finish a bachelor degree (hons) in engineering in the NUS/NTU frm STPM? 3yrs? 4yrs?
+Quote Post
24wishes
post Apr 15 2009, 02:08 AM

Hi songhan.

Not that i am against you, but is it not entirely right for you to say that MUET does not matter at all in gaining admission to both Unis?

I mean, certainly to a specific extent, it does contribute in some way. Otherwise, why would they even ask for it.

Besides, I have heard a few stories from my seniors that MUET results do assist us, especially the ones with in-the-middle-cgpas.

I'm not doubting your opinions, but let's just say to some of us here, we're relying on the extra essentials like these to be granted admission. It's good to be down to earth, but to say that it's as good as dead, it would not be that comforting to certain people, especially when it really does matter even for a bit. smile.gif

My two cents on the matter!

Cheers!

Btw, what do you actually learn from the exam you took? I never heard of a test that actually teaches you something. Rather intriguing! Haha
+Quote Post
songhan89
post Apr 15 2009, 03:50 AM

-Hankerchizf-

QUOTE(24wishes @ Apr 15 2009, 02:08 AM)
Hi songhan.

Not that i am against you, but is it not entirely right for you to say that MUET does not matter at all in gaining admission to both Unis?

I mean, certainly to a specific extent, it does contribute in some way. Otherwise, why would they even ask for it.

Besides, I have heard a few stories from my seniors that MUET results do assist us, especially the ones with in-the-middle-cgpas.

I'm not doubting your opinions, but let's just say to some of us here, we're relying on the extra essentials like these to be granted admission. It's good to be down to earth, but to say that it's as good as dead, it would not be that comforting to certain people, especially when it really does matter even for a bit. smile.gif

My two cents on the matter!

Cheers!

Btw, what do you actually learn from the exam you took? I never heard of a test that actually teaches you something. Rather intriguing! Haha
You're right, MUET does matter for those in the middle cgpas and also for those applying for extremely competitive courses like Law, Medicine, Pharmacy ( Band 6 is a minimum ) . I did not say i learnt from the "exam", i said i learn something new from the extra english course i had to take in NUS. There was a lot of focus on academic writing, argumentative writing etc. It at least helped me to identify the usual problems i have in writing.

Btw, for those contemplating between NUS and NTU, especially for guys. Please come to NUS, the chicks here are thumbup.gif thumbup.gif thumbup.gif thumbup.gif thumbup.gif

It takes 4 years to complete an engineering course in both NUS and NTU.

This post has been edited by songhan89: Apr 15 2009, 03:53 AM
+Quote Post
cardec88
post Apr 15 2009, 11:00 AM

Getting Started

Yeos, I think MUET is fairly important for those applying FASS, any course that requires alot of writing, and those courses songhan mentioned.

erm....regarding chicks.....I can't concentrate during lectures.... rclxms.gif

Btw, I got emails from NTU and NUS between last week of april and first week of may last year. So no need so gan chiong first..... smile.gif
+Quote Post
pinknotebook
post Apr 15 2009, 01:25 PM

Getting Started

I hope NUS accepts me so i can add to their chick list doh.gif ahahhah! (jk? tongue.gif)

24 wishes, or anyone else in our batch. I applied for USM for local uni. I'm applying for their Humanties (arts) department but i just recieved an sms today to take a munsyl exam. I'm not entirely sure, but i thought that exam was for science students.

Kindly advise, anyone biggrin.gif will do a lowyat search meanwhile
+Quote Post
24wishes
post Apr 15 2009, 02:17 PM

songhang< Oh! Those kind of writing! I've seen a couple of my friends who are already doing their degree contemplating it. It's really different and I wholly agree that you learn something from it. Apologies for the misunderstood of exam instead of lesson.

pink< I too hope and pray that you will be able to join their chicks club. HAHAHAHAH! (jk too)

Cheers

The worried and depressed me

Added on April 16, 2009, 2:36 amCrap, feeling so bogged-down now.

Just read the thread on last year's admission. Apparently, soonghan89 did better than me, 3As 1B and even has a gold for physics olympiad.

With such qualifications he still got rejected into NTU. Courses he applied are almost the same as me. Only difference is math science as my first choice.

Feeling so sad right now. No one to turn to. Just need to voice out here. Unfortunately, i doubt anyone is hanging around this part of the forum at this hour of the day.

My heart just got hit by a submarine fueled with depression.

Did that even make any sense?

Whatever....

PS# Sry for the rambling....

This post has been edited by 24wishes: Apr 16 2009, 02:37 AM
+Quote Post
w00ty
post Apr 16 2009, 08:28 AM

I hope NUS accepts me so i can add to their chick list doh.gif ahahhah! (jk? tongue.gif)

24 wishes, or anyone else in our batch. I applied for USM for local uni. I'm applying for their Humanties (arts) department but i just recieved an sms today to take a munsyl exam. I'm not entirely sure, but i thought that exam was for science students.

Kindly advise, anyone biggrin.gif will do a lowyat search meanwhile
Haha. Hey Fern, so you are not hoping to get into NTU chick list? Everyone is wishing to go NUS except me tongue.gif. Lesser chick makes you more special. LOL

Crap, feeling so bogged-down now.

Just read the thread on last year's admission. Apparently, soonghan89 did better than me, 3As 1B and even has a gold for physics olympiad.

With such qualifications he still got rejected into NTU. Courses he applied are almost the same as me. Only difference is math science as my first choice.

Feeling so sad right now. No one to turn to. Just need to voice out here. Unfortunately, i doubt anyone is hanging around this part of the forum at this hour of the day.

Whatever....

Chill man, It is not over yet.
In the mean time you can read some of these

Science in NUS or NTU
or this
NTU science vs NUS science

+Quote Post
pinknotebook
post Apr 16 2009, 09:32 AM

Getting Started

QUOTE(w00ty @ Apr 16 2009, 08:28 AM)
Haha. Hey Fern, so you are not hoping to get into NTU chick list? Everyone is wishing to go NUS except me tongue.gif. Lesser chick makes you more special. LOL
Hiya Cal,
I applied for NTU too! biggrin.gif but NTU is more of an engineering uni. I did some reading and many people can generally agree that NUS has a better course for their humanities studies. Haih, don't know. Don't let me count my chickens before they hatch,I'd be ecstatic to get inside any uni in singapore at this point blush.gif if only to be like you, to know you've been accepted to your dream school wub.gif

QUOTE(24wishes @ Apr 15 2009, 02:17 PM)

Added on April 16, 2009, 2:36 amCrap, feeling so bogged-down now.

Whatever....

Adrian! Don't give up. I'm going to squeeze every ounce of optimism I can out of you! I'm going to drive that submarine into warmer shores! Never say die before you are actually dead! haha, soonghan is an over-achiever tongue.gif his marks are not the bench-mark of your course, so don't completely give up yet okay. Do you think your marks are in the bell-curve?

And i *think* you have experience in an Olympiad, that counts for something too! I only represented my state in a Anti-Dadah campaign doh.gif my biggest achievement shakehead.gif wish i didn't concentrate so much on school based activities =/

If you're a goner so am I. Don't break my heart man sad.gif

ps: I'm on another forum discussing NUS admissions results. A 5A, band 6 student who got her results is asking me how i did for stpm. Please, where can I hide my face cry.gif

+Quote Post
zidanedagger
post Apr 16 2009, 12:29 PM

Getting Started

Anybody here is UK A-level holder? I have seen the cut-off grade for NUS, NTU and SMU but I have no idea how is the UK A-level determine since it's different format with SG A-level. Is it count as CGPA? then how is the point determine for each grade in UK A-level?

Btw, I have opened a thread regarding share your sg applications, feel free to come and share! icon_rolleyes.gif
Here is the link
http://forum.lowyat.net/topic/999776

This post has been edited by zidanedagger: Apr 16 2009, 12:30 PM
+Quote Post
24wishes
post Apr 16 2009, 01:10 PM

Hi pink. I am grateful for the support. Forgive me if I have accidentally pulled you down a little. It would help if you could transfer some of that strength to me. Haha...

Yea, I know i'm still in the bell curve, but i use songhan as a reference because we are similar; from the courses we chose to the better grades he have and not forgetting, he himself is a gold medalist for physics olympiad.

The only course different from his would be Math Science. I heard math science is pretty solid in NTU (base on the link given by w00ty. So things don't look too bright for me at the moment.

I don't mean to burst anyone's bubble or dampen the spirit of hope that harbours deeply in their cores, but upon seeing this and base on rational judgment, it is truly arduous for me to feel more confident.

Thankfully, with the comfort I get from you people, I will continue to pour hope, every ounce of optimism, just like you said pink, into the desired.

Seems like NUS is my only hope for Singapore now. I think you stand a quite a chance to get into FASS pink, considering what tangier has said with his experience and stories. FoS however, remains a question to me.

PS# good read over at the links you shared w00ty. One of the link was about a dude successfully getting into math science in NTU. Wanted to ask him how did he fared for his A-levels but after seeing how inactive he is base on his post, I guess I helplessly just have to leave it to time to unfold my questions.

Peace and cheers
+Quote Post
wenchean
post Apr 16 2009, 02:52 PM

Getting Started

QUOTE(24wishes @ Apr 16 2009, 01:10 PM)
Hi pink. I am grateful for the support. Forgive me if I have accidentally pulled you down a little. It would help if you could transfer some of that strength to me. Haha...

Yea, I know i'm still in the bell curve, but i use songhan as a reference because we are similar; from the courses we chose to the better grades he have and not forgetting, he himself is a gold medalist for physics olympiad.

The only course different from his would be Math Science. I heard math science is pretty solid in NTU (base on the link given by w00ty. So things don't look too bright for me at the moment.

I don't mean to burst anyone's bubble or dampen the spirit of hope that harbours deeply in their cores, but upon seeing this and base on rational judgment, it is truly arduous for me to feel more confident.

Thankfully, with the comfort I get from you people, I will continue to pour hope, every ounce of optimism, just like you said pink, into the desired.

Seems like NUS is my only hope for Singapore now. I think you stand a quite a chance to get into FASS pink, considering what tangier has said with his experience and stories. FoS however, remains a question to me.

PS# good read over at the links you shared w00ty. One of the link was about a dude successfully getting into math science in NTU. Wanted to ask him how did he fared for his A-levels but after seeing how inactive he is base on his post, I guess I helplessly just have to leave it to time to unfold my questions.

Peace and cheers
That's the spirit! Have faith in yourself. smile.gif

This post has been edited by wenchean: Apr 16 2009, 02:53 PM
+Quote Post
pinknotebook
post Apr 16 2009, 08:11 PM

Getting Started

QUOTE(zidanedagger @ Apr 16 2009, 12:29 PM)
Anybody here is UK A-level holder? I have seen the cut-off grade for NUS, NTU and SMU but I have no idea how is the UK A-level determine since it's different format with SG A-level. Is it count as CGPA? then how is the point determine for each grade in UK A-level?

Btw, I have opened a thread regarding share your sg applications, feel free to come and share!  icon_rolleyes.gif
Here is the link
http://forum.lowyat.net/topic/999776
Hie Zidane, are you referring to Table 1 from this link? > http://admissions.nus.edu.sg/sprogramme-igp.html

Singapore-Cambridge A-Levels should be similar (or same?) to UK A-Levels i think. Anyway, you should use it as a rough bench mark to where you stand right now smile.gif

I've seen the link, and actively commented xD I want to see more Lowyat-ers applying for Sg uni's! smile.gif we can share our ups (and downs) icon_question.gif

QUOTE(24wishes @ Apr 16 2009, 01:10 PM)

Peace and cheers
Reading your replies makes me emotional doh.gif haha, aren't you the expressive one.

I've heard rumours that NUS is harder to get into than NTU. I base this just on rumours though and i personally feel NTU is a better engineering school (based on other people's experience haha) So I feel good vibes of you getting in too!

Thank you for your kind encouragement Brian smile.gif PM me withing the same hour you receive any news!
+Quote Post
wgy589
post Apr 16 2009, 09:02 PM

Enthusiast

QUOTE(pinknotebook @ Apr 16 2009, 09:32 AM)
Hiya Cal,
I applied for NTU too! biggrin.gif but NTU is more of an engineering uni. I did some reading and many people can generally agree that NUS has a better course for their humanities studies. Haih, don't know. Don't let me count my chickens before they hatch,I'd be ecstatic to get inside any uni in singapore at this point  blush.gif if only to be like you, to know you've been accepted to your dream school  wub.gif
Adrian! Don't give up. I'm going to squeeze every ounce of optimism I can out of you! I'm going to drive that submarine into warmer shores! Never say die before you are actually dead! haha, soonghan is an over-achiever tongue.gif his marks are not the bench-mark of your course, so don't completely give up yet okay. Do you think your marks are in the bell-curve?

And i *think* you have experience in an Olympiad, that counts for something too! I only represented my state in a Anti-Dadah campaign doh.gif my biggest achievement   shakehead.gif wish i didn't concentrate so much on school based activities =/

If you're a goner so am I. Don't break my heart man sad.gif

ps: I'm on another forum discussing NUS admissions results. A 5A, band 6 student who got her results is asking me how i did for stpm. Please, where can I hide my face   cry.gif
recomers generally got better results than lowyatians, mabbe bcos of the fact that lowyat is heavily kopitiam-styled, while recom is more for education purpose.

btw, i still wish u all the best in ur ntu/nus application

This post has been edited by wgy589: Apr 16 2009, 09:11 PM
+Quote Post
24wishes
post Apr 16 2009, 10:26 PM

pink< No doubt on me being the sensitive one. I'm generally that kind of person. luls....

My ears are familiar with the rumour too; NTU being the easier one to get into. However, I think such speculations turns rather invalid lately.

If we analyse the intake of 08, it seems that it is easier to gain NUS' admission. The other way round for NTU though.

Previous years before 08' shows that NTU's the less difficult one.

Wonder what caused the change. I may be wrong in this. Correct me if anyone has a better opinion.

Oh, NTU is definitely the better engineering school. But with my results, obtaining an engineering offer would be hard. That's why most of my choices (especially my first) are Science courses like applied physics/maths.

I'd prefer applied math/physics over engineering anyways. Always wanted to do math science especially.

Praying harddddddddd*
+Quote Post
pinknotebook
post Apr 18 2009, 09:13 PM

Getting Started

My obsession about my results fueled me to find out more about admissions:

http://admissions.nus.edu.sg/local/BYA-category-a2.html

I recall someone here talking about discretionary admission. There is a section in that link describing the things they consider for admission under D.A. They said you have to fill up the part about DA in the online application form to be considered, but so far I do not recall seeing a DA section at all sad.gif how do personally apply for this (as a back up plan since i'm still waiting for my results)

Hope someone can better clarify this, I have active participation in at least 3 different charity programmes! Very excited at the thought that good karma can be useful biggrin.gif

P.s: Adrian, you have a medal at Olympiads right? That's listed too thumbup.gif
+Quote Post
24wishes
post Apr 21 2009, 01:02 PM

This thread's life line suddenly just cut off. All of a sudden silence is God.

Scary.... How's everyone doing? Any news?

Pink< I don't know about DS, didn't come across it. But melissa said something about it in the earlier posts. Check it out smile.gif

This post has been edited by 24wishes: Apr 21 2009, 01:03 PM
+Quote Post
dobbydds
post Apr 22 2009, 09:56 PM

Have anyone received NTU August 09' intake(application using A-level results) result yet?
+Quote Post
pinknotebook
post Apr 22 2009, 10:35 PM

Getting Started

No, and it's KILLING me =/

a week left for answers
+Quote Post
zidanedagger
post Apr 23 2009, 01:21 PM

Getting Started

QUOTE(pinknotebook @ Apr 16 2009, 08:11 PM)
Hie Zidane, are you referring to Table 1 from this link? > http://admissions.nus.edu.sg/sprogramme-igp.html

Singapore-Cambridge A-Levels should be similar (or same?) to UK A-Levels i think. Anyway, you should use it as a rough bench mark to where you stand right now smile.gif

Thanks for reply and sorry for late respone, I saw there is a question ask similar to me in NTU's FAQ section. NTU answered that applicants may use the best three A2 grades(CIE A-level) compare with SG's H2 grade. Example: the 90th percentile for Business in NTU is AAA/A, which means AAAB or AAA grade in CIE A-level(or others) should be equivalent to it. Not really sure about comparing the H1 grade with others A-level.

I have received mails neither SG unis too. Assume what Tangiers said, this is the last week or maybe next week for NTU mails their letters to ideal candidates. After that, perhaps I have to think other schools. cry.gif

Once again sorry for my inferior english! I'm working hard to improve it now rclxub.gif

This post has been edited by zidanedagger: Apr 23 2009, 01:26 PM
+Quote Post
dobbydds
post Apr 23 2009, 01:31 PM

QUOTE(pinknotebook @ Apr 22 2009, 10:35 PM)
No, and it's KILLING me =/

a week left for answers
Well, good to know I'm not the only one getting tortured by them rclxub.gif
+Quote Post
toiletking2006
post Apr 23 2009, 05:02 PM

hey guys the application result from NTU is out
i got computer science instead of my first choice, business...TT
+Quote Post
dobbydds
post Apr 23 2009, 05:20 PM

Congratulation smile.gif at least you've gotten in. I think you can attempt to switch courses after the first year (Or at least that's what their division of sociology FAQs - No.10 says)

And I haven't get my applications result yet, sure as hell that ain't good news unsure.gif

btw, did you guys apply with A-level result or STPM result, if you guys applied with A-level result, did you use the full A-level result, or just AS?

This post has been edited by dobbydds: Apr 23 2009, 05:47 PM
+Quote Post
toiletking2006
post Apr 23 2009, 06:09 PM

I applied using full A-level result.
Btw, did u application result from their website??
my frenz also got the outcome ady, but she got rejected...

+Quote Post
dobbydds
post Apr 23 2009, 06:16 PM

I think he got it by email, or at least, NTU websites seem very adamant about the fact they would email applicants about their results.

I thought rejected application results tend to come out the last (Since there are people which might reject the offer by NTU which opens up spaces for others)

I applied with AS result as I'm sitting for A2 in a month or so, I think NTU made changes to their websites after their application closed. There's this new clause I don't remember reading when I applied.

"If your actual A Level results are released in or after August 2009, you will be considered for admission on a case by case basis only upon receipt of your actual A Level results. Provisional offer is not given and our term commences in early August 2009."

Base on that, I pretty much have to wait till I get my A2 result before knowing the result. It seems a little ridiculous to me, anyone that get accepted then would barely have time for actual preperation.
+Quote Post
toiletking2006
post Apr 23 2009, 06:27 PM

ERM.. i checked the result thru their website..
http://admissions.ntu.edu.sg/International...tionstatus.aspx

Login with ur application number and click to check the result which in on the application outcome column..

Anyway, all the best in ur A2 exam.
+Quote Post
Cycorn
post Apr 23 2009, 06:32 PM

i didnt get any email and i went to the webpage and check the outcome myself and i get this!

Your application is currently still under consideration. You will be informed of your application status by July 2009.

what does that suppose to mean!
+Quote Post
dobbydds
post Apr 23 2009, 06:33 PM

Mine still hasn't updated. So I suppose I need to wait for my full result sad.gif. Guess i'm in for a long wait even after my A2.

@cycorn
not to demoralize you or anything, based on all the informations I can find online, it pretty much means your not the "first" batch of accepted applicants. If there's spaces opening up, you might get it.

This post has been edited by dobbydds: Apr 23 2009, 06:37 PM
+Quote Post
Cycorn
post Apr 23 2009, 06:42 PM

feel like crying, they at least give me my 4th or 5th choice.
so competitive to enter ntu meh?
+Quote Post
dobbydds
post Apr 23 2009, 06:47 PM

I don't know really, I think it would depend on what subject did you apply for, If you applied for science subject, i think it would be highly competitive as their ranked quite high for their natural science-based courses.

Whereas for their social science subjects, it's probably alot less competitive, and easier to get into.
+Quote Post
Tangiers
post Apr 23 2009, 06:52 PM

Getting Started

QUOTE(Cycorn @ Apr 23 2009, 06:42 PM)
so competitive to enter ntu meh?
It is, especially for certain programmes. You would have maximum A's as the minimum requirement. rclxub.gif

Added on April 23, 2009, 6:54 pm
QUOTE(Cycorn @ Apr 23 2009, 06:32 PM)
i didnt get any email and i went to the webpage and check the outcome myself and i get this!

Your application is currently still under consideration. You will be informed of your application status by July 2009.

what does that suppose to mean!
It means, you're probably on some waiting list. Maybe they will review your application if there are rejections from people who are offered places. My friend waited and waited and...

My suggestion is, go all out in your other applications. If you do get NTU's offer, it'd be great. If you don't, at least you have alternatives. Don't burn your bridges.

This post has been edited by Tangiers: Apr 23 2009, 06:54 PM
+Quote Post
Sarah0925
post Apr 23 2009, 11:08 PM

Getting Started

QUOTE(dobbydds @ Apr 23 2009, 06:16 PM)
I think he got it by email, or at least, NTU websites seem very adamant about the fact they would email applicants about their results.

I thought rejected application results tend to come out the last (Since there are people which might reject the offer by NTU which opens up spaces for others)

I applied with AS result as I'm sitting for A2 in a month or so, I think NTU made changes to their websites after their application closed. There's this new clause I don't remember reading when I applied.

"If your actual A Level results are released in or after August 2009, you will be considered for admission on a case by case basis only upon receipt of your actual A Level results. Provisional offer is not given and our term commences in early August 2009."

Base on that, I pretty much have to wait till I get my A2 result before knowing the result. It seems a little ridiculous to me, anyone that get accepted then would barely have time for actual preperation.
That was what I've been wondering about too =/
Does that mean that they'll only process yr application after they've received yr AS & A2 results?
Anybody else here that applied for NUS/NTU using AS results? Mind sharing the process & relevant details etc.
Thanks a lot for you help! =)
+Quote Post
zidanedagger
post Apr 24 2009, 12:12 AM

Getting Started

QUOTE(toiletking2006 @ Apr 23 2009, 05:02 PM)
I'm also out few hours ago, I also being offer my 2nd choice (Mathematics & Economics) instead of my first choice: business!!! Wah!!, I'm really want first choice because the exemption for actuarial professional exams so attract me and the duration to finish the course only 3 years!! Mathematics & Economics study 4 years lah!!! rclxub.gif Although this course also capable for Actuarial field but require more hard work after graduation. My mood now is sooooo blurrr!!!! Expire of reply for acceptance on 27 May!!! Left not more than 1 month to decide!!!! sweat.gif

Any experienced fellows know about the process of appeal? Please tell me sad.gif

This post has been edited by zidanedagger: Apr 24 2009, 12:16 AM
+Quote Post
dobbydds
post Apr 24 2009, 12:46 AM

QUOTE(Sarah0925 @ Apr 23 2009, 11:08 PM)
That was what I've been wondering about too =/
Does that mean that they'll only process yr application after they've received yr AS & A2 results?
Anybody else here that applied for NUS/NTU using AS results? Mind sharing the process & relevant details etc.
Thanks a lot for you help! =)
Well based on how things are turning out so far, I suppose we'll be getting the answer around August, If I'm not mistaken A2 result would be out around mid-late August. Wait till you get the exam result slip, get your college to certify them and send it to NTU(or just ask whether your college would do the favor of sending it). They would then consider your application on a case by case basis. Simple to say, it's highly unlikely for us to get any spots, since we would pretty much be joining in the class after everyone has started. We'd be the add-ons.

@zidane, just mail them and inquire whether you can switch majors after getting in there, I think you can request for a change after your first year (With good results). and isn't 27 May more than one month?
+Quote Post
zidanedagger
post Apr 24 2009, 09:06 AM

Getting Started

@dobbydds
Haha! I just realize it, don't know why there was a mindset in my mind about this time was already end of the month and forgot there was another week still. Thanks for your suggestion! If I'm not mistaken, you can only switch from higher competitive course to a lower competitive course. I will still try to mail them and ask too.

I have a question about the schorlarship and QET. The mail from NTU didn't mention anything about QET and my schorlarship. When I login into NTU id, I noticed that my schorlapship has been removed and added the QET. I clicked on QET to check for the status whether I have to sit for it or not but there was only showed my IELTS results (writing band score only) and nothing there told about the necessary for QET.

The questions are how/when are SG unis inform you about the QET and do they offer the schorlarship together with the first offer letter? If this is the answer, is that means I have not being offered any schorlarship?

This post has been edited by zidanedagger: Apr 24 2009, 09:08 AM
+Quote Post
pinknotebook
post Apr 24 2009, 09:50 AM

Getting Started

i got rejected from NTU yesterday..

but i got accepted into NUS!!! biggrin.gif biggrin.gif hurrah!!!!!!!

Ps: 23* Wishes/*Adrian you weren't on msn when the news was out so i guess you have to find out here,

How did you do??

This post has been edited by pinknotebook: Apr 24 2009, 09:52 AM
+Quote Post
w00ty
post Apr 24 2009, 10:37 AM

Congrats to all of you = ). Haha Fern which course did u get?

NTU business course is quite renowned in Singapore

This post has been edited by w00ty: Apr 24 2009, 10:40 AM
+Quote Post
zidanedagger
post Apr 24 2009, 10:50 AM

Getting Started

QUOTE(pinknotebook @ Apr 24 2009, 09:50 AM)
i got rejected from NTU yesterday..

but i got accepted into NUS!!! biggrin.gif biggrin.gif hurrah!!!!!!!
Ps: 23* Wishes/*Adrian you weren't on msn when the news was out so i guess you have to find out here,

How did you do??
Gratz to you that you finally can do your degree in your dream school biggrin.gif I'm still waiting NUS and SMU offer letters, wondering what happen to my applications. hmm.gif
+Quote Post
toiletking2006
post Apr 24 2009, 12:11 PM

sigh...NUS is still processing my document..
hopefully, i can get my first choice..
+Quote Post
Cycorn
post Apr 24 2009, 12:13 PM

my nus still processing, pray for the best for everyone!
+Quote Post
zidanedagger
post Apr 24 2009, 12:28 PM

Getting Started

QUOTE(toiletking2006 @ Apr 24 2009, 12:11 PM)
sigh...NUS is still processing my document..
hopefully, i can get my first choice..
Hi Bro! Would you tell me what are the differences between NTU & NUS business? I only know about NTU and know very little about NUS business.
+Quote Post
toiletking2006
post Apr 24 2009, 12:43 PM

First of all , the duration for the NTU course is 3 years whereas NUS is 4 years. Secondly, NTU offers 4 majors(actuarial science, banking and finance, marketing and tourism) while NUS offers 5 ( Finance, Marketing, Management, and Operations & Supply Chain Management). As a whole, i assume NUS is more prestigious than NTU, as their university ranking is higher. However, I'm not too sure about which business school is more superior..

+Quote Post
w00ty
post Apr 24 2009, 01:04 PM

First of all , the duration for the NTU course is 3 years whereas NUS is 4 years. Secondly, NTU offers 4 majors(actuarial science, banking and finance, marketing and tourism) while NUS offers 5 ( Finance, Marketing, Management, and Operations & Supply Chain Management). As a whole, i assume NUS is more prestigious than NTU, as their university ranking is higher. However, I'm not too sure about which business school is more superior..
Don't be misguided by the 3 or 4 years thingy. The last time i heard, NTU biz is 3 years direct honours while NUS is 3 years without honors. The extra one year is indeed for honours and only qualified students can go for the last year(i think at least gpa 3.0). Not sure if the system has changed. But i am quite surprised with everyone's mentality thinking that higher ranking in the world = better. You got to go for specific ranking instead of overall. For instance, NTU MBA is higher than NUS MBA in terms of ranking. When it comes to choosing course that you want, you got to find out each university's strength and weakness instead of assuming ranking means everything. I used to have this kind of mindset too b4 i came to singapore to do my diploma. When you are here, you will start to know more. If you plan to work in Singapore, you might be surprised if NTU or SMU biz fresh graduates gets higher pay than you one day. But at the end of the day, everything still boils down to whether which class of honours you are getting. GOOD LUCK TO YOU AGAIN FOR GAINING ADMISSION = )
+Quote Post
toiletking2006
post Apr 24 2009, 01:14 PM

@w00ty:
Literally, my first priority is NTU BIZ but unfortunately they rejected me. Thus, i can only aim for NUS biz course now . If i couldn't get it, i have to study in local uni ..haihzzz.

+Quote Post
zidanedagger
post Apr 24 2009, 02:10 PM

Getting Started

Will you appeal for reconsider the first choice? Because I may do that too if the other Uni's offers also worse off to me then perhaps just stick for the Bsc(Hon) Mathematics & Economics.

Anyone here know how is the career opportunity for this combination? (I know only about financial industry, goverment sector, actuarial field(maybe), bank)
And what are the possible benefits to obtain a Honour degree beside direct further to phd & higher chance to obtain a job.

This post has been edited by zidanedagger: Apr 24 2009, 02:12 PM
+Quote Post
w00ty
post Apr 24 2009, 02:28 PM

Will you appeal for reconsider the first choice? Because I may do that too if the other Uni's offers also worse off to me then perhaps just stick for the Bsc(Hon) Mathematics & Economics.

Anyone here know how is the career opportunity for this combination? (I know only about financial industry, goverment sector, actuarial field(maybe), bank)
And what are the possible benefits to obtain a Honour degree beside direct further to phd & higher chance to obtain a job.
Perhaps higher pay or higher chance to get into a prestigious company? But the current trend in Singapore seems weird. I have seen engineering graduates working in financial sector or business graduates working in totally irrelevant sector. Maybe its all about diversity nowadays. So its better to know a bit of everything

Normally if u want to change your course you got to reapply again after your first year under Category E.
+Quote Post
zidanedagger
post Apr 24 2009, 03:01 PM

Getting Started

Is the way you mentioned is actually how they called "appeal" or it is a different way which I think the easier to switch if I able to manage to have good performance in first year.
+Quote Post
Cycorn
post Apr 24 2009, 03:11 PM

let's post all the offer u all got and the result of your A-lvl, stpm, etc.
+Quote Post
pinknotebook
post Apr 24 2009, 03:15 PM

Getting Started

QUOTE(zidanedagger @ Apr 24 2009, 10:50 AM)
Gratz to you that you finally can do your degree in your dream school  biggrin.gif  I'm still waiting NUS and SMU offer letters, wondering what happen to my applications.  hmm.gif
QUOTE(w00ty @ Apr 24 2009, 10:37 AM)
Congrats to all of you = ). Haha Fern which course did u get?
NTU business course is quite renowned in Singapore
Thank you Zidane and W00t! biggrin.gif I was offered my first and only choice, Arts and Social Science.

I agree with the statement that NTU has better business and engineering courses. Am unsure about the other courses though.

But as for myself, I will be studying Sociology and NUS is the best place in the region for that course. Their faculty proffesor was from Cambridge and the University itself had invested alot on Asian Studies

Me and 23* Wishes are going to party.gif in Singapore, who else is with us! (pm me and share the joy!)

Toi, Cycorn and anyone else waiting for results, I wish you only the very best news from NUS! Hang in there!!!!

Sincerely,

Fern
+Quote Post
zidanedagger
post Apr 24 2009, 05:41 PM

Getting Started

Do you mean you and 23Wishes are going to NUS to study on this coming intake? Have you & 23wishes bought the tickets already? Mine is on July 5th.

This post has been edited by zidanedagger: Apr 24 2009, 05:44 PM
+Quote Post
w00ty
post Apr 24 2009, 06:26 PM

w00t. that was fast. i haven even bought my ticket back to Singapore yet. Lazing everyday in Malaysia. Haha.

@Fern
No time to party~! you will be running everywhere to settle your admission and applying your student pass in Lavender. Quite far from NUS..haha

+Quote Post
Sarah0925
post Apr 24 2009, 10:19 PM

Getting Started

QUOTE(dobbydds @ Apr 24 2009, 12:46 AM)
Well based on how things are turning out so far, I suppose we'll be getting the answer around August, If I'm not mistaken A2 result would be out around mid-late August. Wait till you get the exam result slip, get your college to certify them and send it to NTU(or just ask whether your college would do the favor of sending it). They would then consider your application on a case by case basis. Simple to say, it's highly unlikely for us to get any spots, since we would pretty much be joining in the class after everyone has started. We'd be the add-ons.
Hm so does that mean that it'll be better if we start applying only when we've got our complete Alevel results? then wait till next year Aug only enter Uni?

+Quote Post
pinknotebook
post Apr 25 2009, 12:12 AM

Getting Started

QUOTE(zidanedagger @ Apr 24 2009, 05:41 PM)
Do you mean you and 23Wishes are going to NUS to study on this coming intake? Have you & 23wishes bought the tickets already? Mine is on July 5th.
99.99% me and 22*wishes are going to nus for the 2009/10 intake biggrin.gif (sorry for answering on your behalf wishes, haha)

I thought the intake would start at August 3rd. Referring to: https://share.nus.edu.sg/registrar/info/cal...AY2009-2010.pdf

I have not received my offer letter yet by post so i have no idea on the details and such smile.gif

I take it from you buying your ticket and all that you have also received an offer! biggrin.gif what did you get? congratulations!

QUOTE(w00ty @ Apr 24 2009, 06:26 PM)
w00t. that was fast. i haven even bought my ticket back to Singapore yet. Lazing everyday in Malaysia. Haha.

@Fern
No time to party~! you will be running everywhere to settle your admission and applying your student pass in Lavender. Quite far from NUS..haha
w00ty are you a current student there? i don't care, must party! i missed out on college for stpm!!! xD

i applied for USP too, anyone else?
+Quote Post
Tangiers
post Apr 25 2009, 01:13 AM

Getting Started

QUOTE(w00ty @ Apr 24 2009, 06:26 PM)
you will be running everywhere to settle your admission and applying your student pass in Lavender. Quite far from NUS..haha
Even further from NTU.

And congratulations to all who got accepted!

Perhaps I could join you all for your celebration?

To those who are waiting, I wish you every success!
+Quote Post
w00ty
post Apr 25 2009, 01:51 AM

w00ty are you a current student there? i don't care, must party! i missed out on college for stpm!!! xD

i applied for USP too, anyone else?
Oh i took my diploma in Singapore for 3 years. Didn't get to enjoy much cause i was rushing here and there to settle the banks thingy, tuition grant thingy, student pass and all that. But now that i have experience, i don't need to worry that much. Hehe. You guys are taking bus there or your parents are driving you there? PARTY!!!! WHERE? !! hahaha

p/s : What's USP? LOL
+Quote Post
24wishes
post Apr 25 2009, 03:26 AM

Hi guys!
Did I hear there's gonna be a party??? biggrin.gif:D:D
Sorry pink! I was too preoccupied with admission issues. Couldn't find the time to visit the forum.
And yeah! I got my first choice, Science in NUS. Got rejected by NTU though, but that's rather expected I guess.

As much as I feel thrilled about the whole thing, I'm very aware of the competition that lies ahead. Like what tangiers told me before, getting into Science is the easy part, its staying and excelling that's difficult.

I'm taking up Mathematical Science/Applied Math when I go into NUS. I am prepared for competition, but didn't expect that my competition is going to be with students from China. Unfortunately for me, it's most probable that I am taking classes with them considering Quantitative Finance and Applied Maths both share the same basic requirement subjects. From what i have heard, these people are like hungry vultures. They'll do whatever it takes to get what they want. I heard they have almost perfect results; ie 100 marks >< This matters to me because they'll be the one affecting the graphs. Lols...

I was feeling a bit beaten and demoralize for a good couple of minutes when I discovered about this awhile ago. I think the problem with me is that I easily feel afraid. I keep telling myself that I'm definitely not one of those gifted mathematical geniuses and that has dampen my confidence by a lot.

Thankfully, I started feeling much better after talking to my loved ones. They were realistic and at the same time supportive. Not only that, friends around have helped me revive my confidence and rid the worry that haunts me.

Tangiers, thank you for telling me that i'm not chasing the competition but chasing the dream. It made me think less about the giants I am about to go up against and focus more on what's important, my education. I got a little carried away with my thoughts and feared that I may fail because I cannot withstand the battlefield.

I'm shunning away the pessimism and going back to appreciating the fact that i was given the chance to enroll in NUS now. I may not have done well like my peers, and i know Applied Math is going to be one tough course to handle, but it is what i have wished for and I should just bravely fight to secure this dream of mine this time.

To those who may be feeling the same way like i do, do stop worrying and being afraid. It will only deteriorate your motivation and determination in pursuing what you want. In my case, I freight of the intense competition. But like what my mother said, "you might never know. they may be gifted, but everyone has their own strength. You might just find yours somewhere down the road later on. Most importantly, you do not give up the first step to the things you have always wished and desired for".

Ooops, got a little bit carried away. My apologies. I dont mean to sound like i'm rambling, just sharing thoughts smile.gif

Ah! Enough is enough! I've accepted the offer and am preparing myself to head south! Those who are going, see you there!

And pink! I almost forgot. Down to 23* wishes already. Eh wait.. to be exact, it's 22*wishes smile.gif

Cheers to the road ahead!

This post has been edited by 24wishes: Apr 25 2009, 03:33 AM
+Quote Post
wgy589
post Apr 25 2009, 07:39 AM

Enthusiast

QUOTE(w00ty @ Apr 25 2009, 01:51 AM)
Oh i took my diploma in Singapore for 3 years. Didn't get to enjoy much cause i was rushing here and there to settle the banks thingy, tuition grant thingy, student pass and all that. But now that i have experience, i don't need to worry that much. Hehe. You guys are taking bus there or your parents are driving you there? PARTY!!!! WHERE? !! hahaha

p/s : What's USP? LOL
http://www.usp.nus.edu.sg/
+Quote Post
zidanedagger
post Apr 25 2009, 09:32 AM

Getting Started

@pinknotebook
The ticket is earlier for the purpose to settle & suit myself into new environment and it was bought by my brother last year when AirAsia had offer.

Nobody apply SMU here?

This post has been edited by zidanedagger: Apr 25 2009, 05:35 PM
+Quote Post
Tangiers
post Apr 26 2009, 01:21 AM

Getting Started

QUOTE(24wishes @ Apr 25 2009, 03:26 AM)
Tangiers, thank you for telling me that i'm not chasing the competition but chasing the dream.
Thank Flawless for that. Go check out their cool performance on YouTube here.

It's good to have healthy competition. The strongest are there for you to learn from them, draw inspiration from them and maybe, beat them someday. But don't be consumed in the process.
+Quote Post
pinknotebook
post Apr 26 2009, 01:58 AM

Getting Started

QUOTE(zidanedagger @ Apr 25 2009, 09:32 AM)
@pinknotebook
The ticket is earlier for the purpose to settle & suit myself into new environment and it was bought by my brother last year when AirAsia had offer.
I am assuming from the other threads you got offers from both NUS and NTU. Congratulations!

@ Tangiers: perseverance and guts too!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7gHvATmUsSg&feature=related

biggrin.gif haha!

+Quote Post
zidanedagger
post Apr 26 2009, 11:12 PM

Getting Started

the views for britains got talent are so incredible high shocking.gif. First is about the Susan boyle, and these two videos are 5m and 6m views rclxub.gif
+Quote Post
wenchean
post Apr 27 2009, 12:03 PM

Getting Started

QUOTE(24wishes @ Apr 25 2009, 03:26 AM)
Hi guys!
Did I hear there's gonna be a party??? biggrin.gif:D:D
Sorry pink! I was too preoccupied with admission issues. Couldn't find the time to visit the forum.
And yeah! I got my first choice, Science in NUS. Got rejected by NTU though, but that's rather expected I guess.

As much as I feel thrilled about the whole thing, I'm very aware of the competition that lies ahead. Like what tangiers told me before, getting into Science is the easy part, its staying and excelling that's difficult.

I'm taking up Mathematical Science/Applied Math when I go into NUS. I am prepared for competition, but didn't expect that my competition is going to be with students from China. Unfortunately for me, it's most probable that I am taking classes with them considering Quantitative Finance and Applied Maths both share the same basic requirement subjects. From what i have heard, these people are like hungry vultures. They'll do whatever it takes to get what they want. I heard they have almost perfect results; ie 100 marks >< This matters to me because they'll be the one affecting the graphs. Lols...

I was feeling a bit beaten and demoralize for a good couple of minutes when I discovered about this awhile ago. I think the problem with me is that I easily feel afraid. I keep telling myself that I'm definitely not one of those gifted mathematical geniuses and that has dampen my confidence by a lot.

Thankfully, I started feeling much better after talking to my loved ones. They were realistic and at the same time supportive. Not only that, friends around have helped me revive my confidence and rid the worry that haunts me.

Tangiers, thank you for telling me that i'm not chasing the competition but chasing the dream. It made me think less about the giants I am about to go up against and focus more on what's important, my education. I got a little carried away with my thoughts and feared that I may fail because I cannot withstand the battlefield.

I'm shunning away the pessimism and going back to appreciating the fact that i was given the chance to enroll in NUS now. I may not have done well like my peers, and i know Applied Math is going to be one tough course to handle, but it is what i have wished for and I should just bravely fight to secure this dream of mine this time.

To those who may be feeling the same way like i do, do stop worrying and being afraid. It will only deteriorate your motivation and determination in pursuing what you want. In my case, I freight of the intense competition. But like what my mother said, "you might never know. they may be gifted, but everyone has their own strength. You might just find yours somewhere down the road later on. Most importantly, you do not give up the first step to the things you have always wished and desired for".

Ooops, got a little bit carried away. My apologies. I dont mean to sound like i'm rambling, just sharing thoughts smile.gif

Ah! Enough is enough! I've accepted the offer and am preparing myself to head south! Those who are going, see you there!

And pink! I almost forgot. Down to 23* wishes already. Eh wait.. to be exact, it's 22*wishes smile.gif

Cheers to the road ahead!
Wow, that's very inspiring! I felt the same way as you did - afraid, very afraid. I was offered to study Pharmacy in NUS. I was happy because it was my second choice. Then after awhile, it finally sunk in.. that I would have to compete with a lot of students as this course is very competitive. I was afraid that I would flunk my exams and drop out. It haunted me and I started worrying. I started to question myself and doubt my capabilities. Thankfully, I had my share of support group. smile.gif And after reading what you said and especially what your mom said, I felt better. smile.gif Those are wise words coming from your mom. biggrin.gif Thanks for sharing!
+Quote Post
zidanedagger
post Apr 27 2009, 04:41 PM

Getting Started

QUOTE(wenchean @ Apr 27 2009, 12:03 PM)
Wow, that's very inspiring! I felt the same way as you did - afraid, very afraid. I was offered to study Pharmacy in NUS. I was happy because it was my second choice. Then after awhile, it finally sunk in.. that I would have to compete with a lot of students as this course is very competitive. I was afraid that I would flunk my exams and drop out. It haunted me and I started worrying. I started to question myself and doubt my capabilities. Thankfully, I had my share of support group. smile.gif And after reading what you said and especially what your mom said, I felt better. smile.gif Those are wise words coming from your mom. biggrin.gif Thanks for sharing!
Pharmacy in NUS shocking.gif You should in outstanding and extraordinary in your academic and non-academic performances! Gratz to you, can you share your application in my thread? or else here tongue.gif
+Quote Post
teckyuan
post Apr 27 2009, 06:33 PM

Getting Started

can anyone tell me how many A in stpm is eligible to be accepted by ntu or nus???
+Quote Post
zidanedagger
post Apr 27 2009, 07:23 PM

Getting Started

depend what course are you going to apply.
For the NUS, the lowest possible cgpa was 3.02 for nursing and NTU was 3.21 for communication studies but all this figures were last year admission and may not reflect the current situation.

Here is the reference for all the cut-off grades
NUS: http://admissions.nus.edu.sg/sprogramme-igp.html
NTU: http://www3.ntu.edu.sg/oad2/pdfs/COP.pdf

Isn't there already posted by someone in the earlier post?

This post has been edited by zidanedagger: Apr 27 2009, 07:25 PM
+Quote Post
wenchean
post Apr 27 2009, 11:58 PM

Getting Started

QUOTE(zidanedagger @ Apr 27 2009, 04:41 PM)
Pharmacy in NUS shocking.gif You should in outstanding and extraordinary in your academic and non-academic performances! Gratz to you, can you share your application in my thread? or else here  tongue.gif
Haha, no not really, there are still better students out there than me. But, thanks anyway. smile.gif Did your questions in your thread!
+Quote Post
jaccm89
post May 11 2009, 07:11 PM

Getting Started

for chemistry which uni is better?
ntu or nus?
+Quote Post
pinknotebook
post May 12 2009, 12:28 AM

Getting Started

So far I only know Business and Engineering is better at NTU.

So for the rest, NUS? biggrin.gif
+Quote Post
Throk
post May 12 2009, 12:18 PM

Even for Business and Engineering, it is debatable whether NUS or NTU is better... There are pros and cons of each.

And since NUS is better in other faculties, so why not go NUS hahah (sinice you have an opportunity to take classes from Biz and Arts and Science even if you're an Engin student)

I may be biased though, I'm a going-to-be-3rd-year NUS student from Engineering tongue.gif

+Quote Post
zidanedagger
post May 12 2009, 12:57 PM

Getting Started

QUOTE(jaccm89 @ May 11 2009, 07:11 PM)
for chemistry which uni is better?
ntu or nus?
Chemical Engineering has a long history in NUS and the admission is very competitive as well compare with NTU. So, if you want to have a better teaching experience and competitive phenomena then go for NUS i think? Or else you want to be trained as a engineer rather than a reseacher, NTU may be a good choice.

So far, I have been listening a lot of people going to NUS. Is there anyone going to NTU?

This post has been edited by zidanedagger: May 12 2009, 12:59 PM
+Quote Post
wgy589
post May 12 2009, 08:06 PM

Enthusiast

QUOTE(Throk @ May 12 2009, 12:18 PM)
Even for Business and Engineering, it is debatable whether NUS or NTU is better... There are pros and cons of each.

And since NUS is better in other faculties, so why not go NUS hahah (sinice you have an opportunity to take classes from Biz and Arts and Science even if you're an Engin student)

I may be biased though, I'm a going-to-be-3rd-year NUS student from Engineering tongue.gif
hey, u staying in campus next sem? do u know of anyone planning for off campus accomodation? i'm just looking for one in the coming sem. sry TS it's a bit off topic. laugh.gif

This post has been edited by wgy589: May 12 2009, 08:17 PM
+Quote Post
XxAC3xX
post May 12 2009, 09:59 PM

Casual

QUOTE(pinknotebook @ Apr 26 2009, 01:58 AM)
I am assuming from the other threads you got offers from both NUS and NTU. Congratulations!

@ Tangiers: perseverance and guts too!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7gHvATmUsSg&feature=related

biggrin.gif haha!
i like dis 1 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zaBsshIYT2w&feature=related biggrin.gif rclxms.gif
out of topic sry! tongue.gif
+Quote Post
pinknotebook
post May 12 2009, 10:19 PM

Getting Started

@ Throk: Hello senior! smile.gif

@ac3: Oh my! *Bloody Brilliant! Thank you thumbup.gif haha!

+Quote Post
jaccm89
post May 12 2009, 11:29 PM

Getting Started

thanks for you all opinions.
i wanna be researcher rather than engineer, that's why i didn't put chemical engineer as my first choice.

i think i'll go to nus.

all of you will be in nus?

glad to see you all there
+Quote Post
XxAC3xX
post May 12 2009, 11:52 PM

Casual

hey guys, i jz started to do stpm n my aim is to enter NUS/NTU to pursue engineering course, its my oni reason to do stpm. Im so keen for it n i dun wanna fail!
any tips/advices would b helpful, like wats the criteria to enter ths unis, hw to do well in stpm, hw to score in muet, hw to get a better cocu achievements(my cocu in hi sch sucks! 5.2! darn it)...
abg2 dan kakak2 yg pandai belaka, tolonglah adik ni yg berpengalaman cetek icon_question.gif I WANT TO ENTER NUS/NTU! I SHALL NOT FAIL!
+Quote Post
Throk
post May 13 2009, 12:09 PM

QUOTE(wgy589 @ May 12 2009, 08:06 PM)
hey, u staying in campus next sem? do u know of anyone planning for off campus accomodation? i'm just looking for one in the coming sem. sry TS it's a bit off topic. laugh.gif
Sry tread hijack tongue.gif I am staying on-campus next sem, luckily managed to get it. Among my friends I know of one girl looking for off-campus accom... Not sure whether she's found it yet or not though. In any case, good luck with your search!

@pinknotebook
Hi! smile.gif Accepted into FASS? Don't close your mind to other majors yet... Got many avenues to explore in that faculty!
+Quote Post
pinknotebook
post May 13 2009, 03:45 PM

Getting Started

Hello Throk! smile.gif Yes I was accepted into FASS! rclxm9.gif

Haha, yes frankly I was interested in 4 different majors - Sociology, Social Work, South East Asian Studies and English . But Sociology seemed to be most flexible career wise. They have many, many interesting modules too biggrin.gif

I read somewhere that we(FASS students) have to choose our Majors first though, prior to registration for CORS.

And speaking of CORS, I read the website through and still feel very confused about the system. Furthermore there wasn't any deeper explanation on the modules provided sad.gif so i don't know how to even start choosing when all i have is the module title xD

Also blur about CAPS system! rclxub.gif haha, so much to learn and get used to.

Oh and last but not least - Since you are a senior in NUS, will you be attending the welcome tea session later this month? smile.gif

@a3e:

Wahai adik,

if you look around the thread using the search button there are many threads yang telah ditubuhkan to discuss MUET + STPM strategies.

As for co-cu, my personal opinion is that when you are form 6, it's really really simple to get BOD positions xD I was never a President for any organization from form 1 -5. Tetapi once i got to form 6, i terus became a President for 3 different societies ohmy.gif

Good luck! =))
+Quote Post
amdphenom
post May 13 2009, 05:18 PM

hi.i am admitting into nus fass this coming august also.lols.plan to major in econs.But i guess u onli can declare ur major end of 1st year.1st year we have to do exposure modules to see what we are reli interested in.=)
+Quote Post
Throk
post May 13 2009, 06:11 PM

QUOTE(pinknotebook @ May 13 2009, 03:45 PM)
Hello Throk! smile.gif Yes I was accepted into FASS! rclxm9.gif

Haha, yes frankly I was interested in 4 different majors - Sociology, Social Work, South East Asian Studies and English . But Sociology seemed to be most flexible career wise. They have many, many  interesting modules too biggrin.gif

I read somewhere that we(FASS students) have to choose our Majors first though, prior to registration for CORS.

And speaking of CORS, I read the website through and still feel very confused about the system. Furthermore there wasn't any deeper explanation on the modules provided sad.gif so i don't know how to even start choosing when all i have is the module title xD

Also blur about CAPS system! rclxub.gif haha, so much to learn and get used to.

Oh and last but not least - Since you are a senior in NUS, will you be attending the welcome tea session later this month? smile.gif
It's good to see a Malaysian interested in other stuff at FASS besides econs (no offense to amdphenom tongue.gif). As he says though, you have about a year to decide your major IINM. First year FASS students take various exposure (introductory) modules from the many depts in FASS. I myself have tried English, English Lit, Philosophy, and Econs. I'm not sure about the career flexibility of FASS majors though haha tongue.gif

Don't worry about CORS. You'll get used to it eventually, everybody does. You can always ask seniors you meet during orientation week. For explanations on modules, you can search about the faculty website. Usually every module offered will have a description there. CAPS is really quite easy too... It's very similar to any university's GPA system. Just search around on google to read more.

I'm not going for the welcome tea session. Didn't know there was such a thing until I read about it here....

@xxAC3xx
Academics is the strongest factor for gaining admission into Singapore universities, especially for Engineering. Get 4.0 in stpm!! thumbup.gif

+Quote Post
XxAC3xX
post May 13 2009, 08:07 PM

Casual

QUOTE(pinknotebook @ May 13 2009, 03:45 PM)
@a3e:

Wahai adik,

if you look around the thread using the search button there are many threads yang telah ditubuhkan to discuss MUET + STPM strategies.

As for co-cu, my personal opinion is that when you are form 6, it's really really simple to get BOD positions xD I was never a President for any organization from form 1 -5. Tetapi once i got to form 6, i terus became a President for 3 different societies ohmy.gif

Good luck! =))
wahai kakak, y la u spell my name wrongly... doh.gif
wow! president of 3 societies?! y din giv others a chance?
i hope i could b presidents as well! hmm, wanna noe is if our F1-F5 cocu cgpa combine wif F6 1? if yes then... cry.gif
thx for ur reply kakak yg cantik! tongue.gif

QUOTE(Throk @ May 13 2009, 06:11 PM)
@xxAC3xx
Academics is the strongest factor for gaining admission into Singapore universities, especially for Engineering. Get 4.0 in stpm!!
4.0!! Ough!!! its a super duper tough life ahead! bt its nt impossible!! icon_rolleyes.gif

This post has been edited by XxAC3xX: May 13 2009, 08:08 PM
+Quote Post
zidanedagger
post May 13 2009, 08:59 PM

Getting Started

wah! this thread is about NTU admission but now it seems like NUS admission thread.
By the way, who are going to apply tuition fee loan/study loan/work study scheme/busaries and so on? would like to hear the process and experience from seniors.
+Quote Post
pinknotebook
post May 14 2009, 09:27 AM

Getting Started

@aC3: because my internet speak not as l33t as you ahahahah, all the best with STPM! smile.gif In both NUS + NTU application form they don't look for co-cu CGPA, but more of international/national achievement. Try for Olympiads especially. So still got chance, go for it! wink.gif

@zidane: Lol, i am so sorry tongue.gif

NUS sent a very detailed guide to their undergraduates. The following is the best my memory can remember because i left my guide at home:

-MOE grant details will be given on our registration date (late July)
-Tuition loan has to be applied from banks latest by 1st August
-work study scheme is under financial aid category, still waiting to hear from them if i am even accepted
+Quote Post
w00ty
post May 14 2009, 11:46 AM

QUOTE(pinknotebook @ May 14 2009, 09:27 AM)
NUS sent a very detailed guide to their undergraduates. The following is the best my memory can remember because i left my guide at home:

-MOE grant details will be given on our registration date (late July)
-Tuition loan has to be applied from banks latest by 1st August
-work study scheme is under financial aid category, still waiting to hear from them if i am even accepted
Just a little addition to what Fern have said. You need one guarantor (either Singapore Citizen or PR) for both your tuition loan and MOE grant

Cheers

This post has been edited by w00ty: May 14 2009, 11:54 AM
+Quote Post
zidanedagger
post May 14 2009, 12:02 PM

Getting Started

Another thing is about the study loan. I don't know about NUS, but NTU due date for study loan is 30 June. And before obtain SL, we have to approve for TFL first. There is gonna be a lot of thing to apply like student pass, immigration thing, medical examination, and so on....rclxub.gif
+Quote Post
Phalanx
post May 14 2009, 12:11 PM

Casual

QUOTE(zidanedagger @ May 14 2009, 12:02 PM)
Another thing is about the study loan. I don't know about NUS, but NTU due date for study loan is 30 June. And before obtain SL, we have to approve for TFL first. There is gonna be a lot of thing to apply  like student pass, immigration thing, medical examination, and so on....rclxub.gif
I'm not quite sure about the study loan and tuition fee loan... but for things like student pass, medical examination and administration... the seniors here will help you with the procedures if you join the Malaysian orientation camp. =)
+Quote Post
zidanedagger
post May 14 2009, 12:14 PM

Getting Started

QUOTE(Phalanx @ May 14 2009, 12:11 PM)
I'm not quite sure about the study loan and tuition fee loan... but for things like student pass, medical examination and administration... the seniors here will help you with the procedures if you join the Malaysian orientation camp. =)
What is that? Offer by NTU/NUS?
+Quote Post
Phalanx
post May 14 2009, 12:31 PM

Casual

QUOTE(zidanedagger @ May 14 2009, 12:14 PM)
What is that? Offer by NTU/NUS?
Not sure about NUS... but in NTU, there are Malaysian student organizations. They organize freshman orientation camps for Malaysian freshmen. Basically the Malaysian seniors here will assist you in your administration procedures and at the same time let you mix around with other Malaysian freshmen through the camp. =)
+Quote Post
zidanedagger
post May 14 2009, 12:38 PM

Getting Started

Thats great coz I'm going to NTU. So when is the malaysian orientation camp? My air ticket is on 5th july to singapore.
+Quote Post
Phalanx
post May 14 2009, 12:50 PM

Casual

QUOTE(zidanedagger @ May 14 2009, 12:38 PM)
Thats great coz I'm going to NTU. So when is the malaysian orientation camp? My air ticket is on 5th july to singapore.
Should be starting on 3rd August. Anyway, you should receive your pamphlet from the student bodies very soon.

You'll get more details from there. =)

But how come you're going so early? The term doesn't start until 11th August.
+Quote Post
zidanedagger
post May 14 2009, 01:39 PM

Getting Started

They only send the pamphlet if the offer is being accepted right? I still hold my offer until 15may or 20may first for NUS reply. If NUS still have no news after these days, then I will straight accept the NTU offer.
+Quote Post
toiletking2006
post May 14 2009, 02:18 PM

QUOTE(zidanedagger @ May 14 2009, 01:39 PM)
They only send the pamphlet if the offer is being accepted right? I still hold my offer until 15may or 20may first for NUS reply. If NUS still have no news after these days, then I will straight accept the NTU offer.
haihzzzz, i juz go rejected by NUS..sigh
anyway, i think ur application outcome will be coming out this few days
+Quote Post
zidanedagger
post May 14 2009, 03:37 PM

Getting Started

QUOTE(toiletking2006 @ May 14 2009, 02:18 PM)
haihzzzz, i juz go rejected by NUS..sigh
anyway, i think ur application outcome will be coming out this few days
Wah! sad to hear that, so where are you going now? Monash or NTU? I really never thought about accountancy & business in NUS also very competitive.
+Quote Post
XxAC3xX
post May 14 2009, 03:41 PM

Casual

hey guys, those who got into NUS/NTU engineering course, could u plz tell me bout ur stpm/a-level resuls n ur cocu achievements a bit? so that i could work myself up to par...
+Quote Post
Phalanx
post May 14 2009, 04:10 PM

Casual

QUOTE(XxAC3xX @ May 14 2009, 03:41 PM)
hey guys, those who got into NUS/NTU engineering course, could u plz tell me bout ur stpm/a-level resuls n ur cocu achievements a bit? so that i could work myself up to par...
Let's see... I was admitted into NTU mechanical engineering course 3 years ago.

I took A-level... Physics, Chemistry, Mathematics, and Further Mathematics and got 4As.

Co-curriculum wise, I was just a member in my high school Interact Club (a not so active one mind you) and was involved in my high school editorial. That's about it.

I'm not sure what's the situation now though.
+Quote Post
oxalato
post May 14 2009, 04:35 PM

On my way

im in NUS going to 2nd year, engineering.
I'll say for cocu, dont worry about it so much. I believe they do not bother about it as much as your academic results. Unless you're talking about scholarship then different case wink.gif

As for stpm, i would say 3.85 for a safe entry to most engineering courses. Chem engine, my friend who got 3.92 couldn't get it as first choice - more competitive obviously.

Like some have mentioned here, try to get into those olympiad competitions or equivalent etc.
+Quote Post
zidanedagger
post May 14 2009, 04:39 PM

Getting Started

QUOTE(Phalanx @ May 14 2009, 04:10 PM)

I took A-level... Physics, Chemistry, Mathematics, and Further Mathematics and got 4As.

Co-curriculum wise, I was just a member in my high school Interact Club (a not so active one mind you) and was involved in my high school editorial. That's about it.

Wow! the subjects are exactly the same as my brother as well as the grade obtained. So you are studying for final year now?
+Quote Post
Phalanx
post May 14 2009, 04:44 PM

Casual

QUOTE(zidanedagger @ May 14 2009, 04:39 PM)
Wow! the subjects are exactly the same as my brother as well as the grade obtained. So you are studying for final year now?
Going into my final year. Still one more year to go.

So yeah, I guess if you're going into NTU, you'll see me. =P
+Quote Post
zidanedagger
post May 14 2009, 04:59 PM

Getting Started

QUOTE(Phalanx @ May 14 2009, 04:44 PM)
Going into my final year. Still one more year to go.

So yeah, I guess if you're going into NTU, you'll see me. =P
Really!? SPMS students will meet SoE students? By the way, is NTU only reveal your academic results after each semester finished? How about the normal test? Because if I don't know where is my standard is, it's gonna be killing me man! where I have to know by myself. sweat.gif And also about the hall of residents, can I change my hall to another hall for the reason of closer to my school?
+Quote Post
Phalanx
post May 14 2009, 05:07 PM

Casual

QUOTE(zidanedagger @ May 14 2009, 04:59 PM)
Really!? SPMS students will meet SoE students? By the way, is NTU only reveal your academic results after each semester finished? How about the normal test? Because if I don't know where is my standard is, it's gonna be killing me man! where I have to know by myself.  sweat.gif And also about the hall of residents, can I change my hall to another hall for the reason of closer to my school?
Ahaha, not in class, but we're all going to stay in the same campus... a meal or two together, why not? =)

Your examination results for each semester will be released around 1 month after your exams. During the main semester, you will have quizzes which will contribute to your final grades... you'll get a rough idea on where you stand after the quizzes. But never ever neglect doing your past year papers, those are very important.

As for the hall... you get to apply to any hall you want at the beginning of each academic year. Just choose a hall that is nearer to your school if distance is really an issue for you. Personally I don't think it will be that big an issue because there will be free shuttle bus to ferry you around everyday except Sunday.
+Quote Post
toiletking2006
post May 14 2009, 05:28 PM

From what i have seen this year.Priority is given to students who had studied 4 academic subject(excluding pengajian am) in a-level/STPM for competitive course,ie:medicine,pharmacy, dentistry or even business. Thus, i would highly recommend you to study 4 subjects in alvl as it is pretty easy to score straight A as long as u put in more effort and practice more on past papers.

All the best for your future undertakings.

+Quote Post
zidanedagger
post May 14 2009, 05:54 PM

Getting Started

QUOTE(Phalanx @ May 14 2009, 05:07 PM)
Ahaha, not in class, but we're all going to stay in the same campus... a meal or two together, why not? =)

Your examination results for each semester will be released around 1 month after your exams. During the main semester, you will have quizzes which will contribute to your final grades... you'll get a rough idea on where you stand after the quizzes. But never ever neglect doing your past year papers, those are very important.

As for the hall... you get to apply to any hall you want at the beginning of each academic year. Just choose a hall that is nearer to your school if distance is really an issue for you. Personally I don't think it will be that big an issue because there will be free shuttle bus to ferry you around everyday except Sunday.
oh!! really thanks for telling me. But how is the quiz contribute to final grade? let say 20%? I thought the bus is going to charge around SD$0.5 per travel? If it is free, then it is not a problem. About the hall, I saw the NTU's website and says that freshmen have no authority to choose which room/hall are going to stay in the first year? Only the exception reasoning of price is allow to change hall only.
+Quote Post
Phalanx
post May 14 2009, 07:12 PM

Casual

QUOTE(zidanedagger @ May 14 2009, 05:54 PM)
oh!! really thanks for telling me. But how is the quiz contribute to final grade? let say 20%? I thought the bus is going to charge around SD$0.5 per travel? If it is free, then it is not a problem. About the hall, I saw the NTU's website and says that freshmen have no authority to choose which room/hall are going to stay in the first year? Only the exception reasoning of price is allow to change hall only.
Around 20 to 30% usually I would say... depending on the subject.

The internal shuttle bus is free. Naturally if you want to take the bus to go out of NTU, you'd have to pay. But we'll leave that till when you actually come here. =P

Yes, for freshmen, they usually just allocate the halls. I guess it's because all the freshmen are guaranteed rooms and they wouldn't want all the rooms in certain few halls to be fully taken up by freshmen.
+Quote Post
wgy589
post May 14 2009, 08:51 PM

Enthusiast

QUOTE(toiletking2006 @ May 14 2009, 05:28 PM)
From what i have seen this year.Priority is given to students who had studied 4 academic subject(excluding pengajian am) in a-level/STPM for competitive course,ie:medicine,pharmacy, dentistry or even business. Thus, i would highly recommend you to study 4 subjects in alvl as it is pretty easy to score straight A as long as u put in more effort and practice more on past papers.

it really depends, a paper flat MUET 6 with 4 subjs is definitely better than a non paper flat non Band 6, 4.00 wih 5 subjs. personally i took 4 subjs last time and got offered medicine.
+Quote Post
zidanedagger
post May 14 2009, 09:36 PM

Getting Started

Haha!! Just checked my NUS application status. It is "ADMISSION DENIED". Wait for so long and hope for the good of offer, but now I'm clear that NTU is my only place can go now. For those who wondering my CIE A-level grade, here it is, AAA with Mathematics, Economics & Accounting. I think NUS is not only give to A-level with 4 subjects priority, they also value STPM cert. So, if you really want go to NUS with A-level just make sure you can straight A with 4 subjects to secure you a place in NUS. Or else, STPM is a much safer i think.
+Quote Post
Phalanx
post May 14 2009, 10:20 PM

Casual

QUOTE(zidanedagger @ May 14 2009, 09:36 PM)
Haha!! Just checked my NUS application status. It is "ADMISSION DENIED". Wait for so long and hope for the good of offer, but now I'm clear that NTU is my only place can go now. For those who wondering my CIE A-level grade, here it is, AAA with Mathematics, Economics & Accounting. I think NUS is not only give to A-level with 4 subjects priority, they also value STPM cert. So, if you really want go to NUS with A-level just make sure you can straight A with 4 subjects to secure you a place in NUS. Or else, STPM is a much safer i think.
Well then, on behalf of NTU...

WELCOME!! =)
+Quote Post
Sarah0925
post May 14 2009, 10:29 PM

Getting Started

QUOTE(zidanedagger @ May 14 2009, 09:36 PM)
hey im wondering. since that's the case right, then which is better btwn AAA and AAAB? cuz I'm currently taking Accounts Maths Econs Law. But I'm not sure if I'll be able to secure an A for my Law & thus I'm thinking of dropping that subject..any advise? Anyway I've already made up my mind to do fianance & accountancy related courses in Uni. Initially when I started A levels I took up Law cuz I thought I'll be able to develop some interest in that subject and in future might consider taking up Law degree.
+Quote Post
zidanedagger
post May 14 2009, 11:06 PM

Getting Started

QUOTE(Phalanx @ May 14 2009, 10:20 PM)
Well then, on behalf of NTU...

WELCOME!! =)
haha! thank you rclxms.gif

@Sarah
As i know, Law subject is relatively hard to score A where it is require student has a outstanding memory capacity and high level of english. Compare the other three subjects, Law is totally different thus require different study style. I think you only take law if you confirm your 3 subjects are able to score A without any interruption. If not, your law subject will share out the revision time from other subjects and end up more ugly result compare with just three subjects.

When i was studying A-level, my brother told me that AAA looks better than AAAB but this was 3 years ago. Now it seems the thing have changed.
+Quote Post
toiletking2006
post May 15 2009, 12:04 AM

@Sarah
personally, i think AAAB is better than AAA, as more is better than less. =)
@ zidane
actually straight A in science subject for edexcel syllabus is pretty easy to get, since the threshold mark to get an A is usually below 70 marks
haihz... i have regretted that i didn't study an addition subject for my a-levels.
Anyway, for all the junior here, please study 4 subs if u r intended to apply for NUS/NTU using a level.

+Quote Post
jaccm89
post May 15 2009, 12:21 AM

Getting Started

isn't the NTU/ NUS only take care of the CGPA?
A level is not using CGPA form?
AAAB is better than AAA?

(stpm student not sure about these)
+Quote Post
XxAC3xX
post May 15 2009, 12:22 AM

Casual

thx for the replies guys!
QUOTE(Phalanx @ May 14 2009, 04:10 PM)

wow got 4A in a-level! rclxms.gif
hmm...hw come u din take general studies 1? i thought its compulsory 1? rclxub.gif
1 more is, im doin stpm, wanted to pursue engineering course, if i do oni maths T without further maths, issit ok? i mean PA, chem, physics n maths T oni.....coz i heard further maths is vry vry tough rite??

QUOTE(oxalato @ May 14 2009, 04:35 PM)
im in NUS going to 2nd year, engineering.
I'll say for cocu, dont worry about it so much. I believe they do not bother about it as much as your academic results. Unless you're talking about scholarship then different case wink.gif

As for stpm, i would say 3.85 for a safe entry to most engineering courses. Chem engine, my friend who got 3.92 couldn't get it as first choice - more competitive obviously.

Like some have mentioned here, try to get into those olympiad competitions or equivalent etc.
wow...the safe entry is so hi!! cry.gif hav work my arse out really hard

QUOTE(toiletking2006 @ May 14 2009, 05:28 PM)

so u mean havin 5 subjects includin PA is better?? blink.gif
thx btw!
+Quote Post
Phalanx
post May 15 2009, 12:59 AM

Casual

QUOTE(XxAC3xX @ May 15 2009, 12:22 AM)
thx for the replies guys!

wow got 4A in a-level!  rclxms.gif
hmm...hw come u din take general studies 1? i thought its compulsory 1?  rclxub.gif
1 more is, im doin stpm, wanted to pursue engineering course, if i do oni maths T without further maths, issit ok? i mean PA, chem, physics n maths T oni.....coz i heard further maths is vry vry tough rite??
wow...the safe entry is so hi!!  cry.gif hav work my arse out really hard
so u mean havin 5 subjects includin PA is better??  blink.gif
thx btw!
Well I did take General Paper if that's what you're wondering. They don't look at your General Paper result though for your admission.

You don't need to take Further Math to gain admission into NTU engineering courses... but taking Further Math will help immensely in your first year math. =)
+Quote Post
pinknotebook
post May 15 2009, 10:37 AM

Getting Started

@ aC3: My schoolmate got into NUS Mechanical Engineering with 3.6+ CGPA (tak sampai 3.7)

Don't putus semangat so fast okay! smile.gif Just do your best and hope for the best

Also, further maths is extremely difficult. Unless you get 95+ easily for Maths T don't try it okay tongue.gif i've seen it pull down many cgpa's
+Quote Post
XxAC3xX
post May 15 2009, 03:56 PM

Casual

QUOTE(Phalanx @ May 15 2009, 12:59 AM)
Well I did take General Paper if that's what you're wondering. They don't look at your General Paper result though for your admission.

You don't need to take Further Math to gain admission into NTU engineering courses... but taking Further Math will help immensely in your first year math. =)
phew...felt a bit relieved tat i dun nid further maths... biggrin.gif
thx bro!

QUOTE(pinknotebook @ May 15 2009, 10:37 AM)
@ aC3: My schoolmate got into NUS Mechanical Engineering with 3.6+ CGPA (tak sampai 3.7)

Don't putus semangat so fast okay! smile.gif Just do your best and hope for the best

Also, further maths is extremely difficult. Unless you get 95+ easily for Maths T don't try it okay tongue.gif i've seen it pull down many cgpa's
oh ok! i enter f6 jz to enter sg unis, if i were to putus semangat, shud hav happened b4 i made my decision to do stpm icon_rolleyes.gif
thx kakak for ur advice! smile.gif
+Quote Post
Sarah0925
post May 21 2009, 12:31 AM

Getting Started

QUOTE(jaccm89 @ May 15 2009, 12:21 AM)
isn't the NTU/ NUS only take care of the CGPA?
A level is not using CGPA form?
AAAB is better than AAA?

(stpm student not sure about these)
oh is that so? I didn't know about it.
can anyone tell me whether it's true that NUS/NTU consider abt our applications according to our CGPA?
if that's the case then for sure AAA is better than AAAB am i right?
+Quote Post
SkyHermit
post Jan 23 2011, 04:33 PM

Liverpool

Should I take 3 or 4 subjects in a-levels to enter NTU? I afraid I cannot focus well if I take 4 subjects. And Should I take further math? I want to do engineering Degree.

This post has been edited by SkyHermit: Jan 23 2011, 04:47 PM
+Quote Post
empirekhoo
post Jan 23 2011, 07:19 PM

Getting Started

QUOTE(Cycorn @ Mar 13 2009, 01:38 AM)
I just got my stpm result a few days ago, and now im really confused.
I got 2A , 1A- and 1B as result, but i did very bad in my muet and only got a band 4, with 38 as the writing score.
So can I still enter NTU by any chance?

and any recommendation for courses?
thanks!
does it hurt for you to apply? it just cost sgd 50. =_=

recommended course: do what u like.
+Quote Post

Bump TopicReply to this topicTopic OptionsStart new topic

> Find Us on Facebook

Switch to:
| Lo-Fi Version