Grooming Goldfish - Ranchus/Orandas etc, Sharing tips for grooming goldfish

views

goldfries
post Sep 8 2007, 01:16 AM

40K Club
Group Icon
Forum Admin
44,409 posts

QUOTE(hanissyazwan @ Aug 29 2007, 04:08 AM)
goldfish has a short life span right.. also hard to keep
actually goldfish has long life span.

the thing is a lot of people don't know that for single goldfish, the optimum tank size is a 2ft tank. yes, 2ft tank for a single goldfish alone.

Added on September 8, 2007, 1:19 am
QUOTE(zheng @ Sep 7 2007, 08:19 PM)
wit a aquarium about 2 and half feet, i pun kaloi, sepat, bandaraya n little fish like gold fish inside. the kali fish very garang n always kejar my like gold fish. hahaha...
that's not the way to do it.

keep your goldfish to itself. and goldfish IS NOT a small fish.

the adult goldfish is bigger than a person's palm. if you consider the mass, the fella is HUGE cos say a 1ft tilapia, sure it's 12in in length, probably 6in in height but only 1in in width.

a goldfish on the other hand is a huge mass. a single adult goldfish has a mass that's more than 30 guppies, not surprisingly rivaling a fellow adult sized cichlid.

This post has been edited by goldfries: Sep 8 2007, 01:19 AM
goldfries
post Sep 12 2007, 10:12 AM

40K Club
Group Icon
Forum Admin
44,409 posts

QUOTE(yawhong @ Sep 8 2007, 05:49 PM)
i also don know what type.. just small 1 cause just for 2 goldfish... ya the water should use clean water rite? i don dare use paip water..
the problem with us human is we count by quantity.

did you know that 2 goldfish produces a lot of waste? go by total body mass, not by # of fish in the tank.

1 small goldfish is like ~9 guppies already.
goldfries
post Oct 11 2008, 09:07 AM

40K Club
Group Icon
Forum Admin
44,409 posts

QUOTE(wsl @ Oct 10 2008, 10:46 PM)
I'm having 5 goldfish inside a 2ft tank. currently, having problem with the waste produce by these fish... i have to clean the filters inside the wall hanging type pump.

need advise: will add a external canister will help in cleaning the water? this is because i read that it is not good to wash the filters everyday, as it will kill good germs inside it.
fren, firstly you must know that 5 goldfish in 2ft tank is overstocking!

i hope your 5 are still not full-grown.

ideally, 2ft tank (2x1x1) is suitable for only ONE goldfish, 2 at most IMO.
goldfries
post Jul 24 2009, 01:45 AM

40K Club
Group Icon
Forum Admin
44,409 posts

QUOTE(HCTH @ Jul 24 2009, 01:28 AM)
thanks ts for creating the thread. I used to have 2 aquariums back in the old days rearing red gold oranda's In cantonese we call it kepala singa type. I like its head like mucous. biggrin.gif  I tink the big one about 6 feet and the small one about 3 feet. Their activeness and energetic and mouth open big big make u happy. when u go near to them they will swim up and ask for food  laugh.gif . They can sense their master is there. Cute. Their tail open like butterfly oso veli nice. I tink i had around 10-13 of them

lionheads.

for me, i prefer ryukins and black moors.

anyway the problem with goldfish keeping in M'sia is that many thought they can put soooooooooooooo many into a tank.

the ideal area for 1 adult goldfish (oh shit, i type goldfries instead of goldfish tongue.gif ) is 2ft tank, (2x1x1).

a 4ft tank (4x1.5x1.5) would typically be hosting 5 at most.

so if your goldfish has problem - 2 questions come to mind
1) is your tank overstocked?
2) how's your filtration?

Added on July 24, 2009, 1:49 am
QUOTE(Axell @ Jul 23 2009, 11:45 PM)
my goldfish's right pectoral fin is damaged.  sad.gif Can it be cure? now let the goldfish inside a big bottle with fresh water...  icon_question.gif  icon_question.gif  icon_question.gif  icon_question.gif
QUOTE(Axell @ Jul 23 2009, 11:55 PM)
my goldfish's right pectoral fin is damaged. sad.gif now let the goldfish inside a big bottle with fresh water... is it safe?
(post #2 quoted was taken from another thread)

no, that's NOT the way to take care of your fish.

get a hospital tank for it to recover.

how big is your goldfish? adult sized, an ideal hospital tank would be 2ft tank with proper filtration.

This post has been edited by goldfries: Jul 24 2009, 01:49 AM
goldfries
post Jul 24 2009, 02:01 AM

40K Club
Group Icon
Forum Admin
44,409 posts

nice to meet you. smile.gif

it's a sad case la. it's not just goldfish alone ler. all other fish keeping also. i know, i keep fish before. i still have a tank. biggrin.gif used to have more fish but got busy in life so little time for them, feel bad also la. kept all sorts, even imported cichlids that origin from Lake Tanganyika........ best experience for me but also damn costly.

anyway back to goldfish la (it applies to all fishes) is that the FIRST thing to understand when it comes to goldfish is their MASSIVE output.

last time my friend's family damn crazy la. sure, 4ft tank with Eheim filter (can't remember what model). oh sure, nice mah right? put about 8 adult goldfish there.

ok nmind that, everyone like to see feeding. so it's everyone (about 5 people in the house) taking turns to feed on different times of the day.

so you can imagine how contaminated the tank gets. aihh........... sad case.

actually the bacteria under the gravel is ok. in fact that's where the RUNNING IN process of the tank is. the bacteria starts by being bad bacteria then become good bacteria helping in filter. biggrin.gif which is why you can read up why people don't recommend taking out the gravel to clean.

http://www.ehow.com/how_4881799_good-aquarium-bacteria.html

biggrin.gif read.

Added on July 24, 2009, 2:02 am
QUOTE(HCTH @ Jul 24 2009, 01:54 AM)
din know bside it gadgets guru u also is a goldfish guru

hardware still learning also la.

goldfish me no expert, i just general fish-keeping. still love fishies (for food and for keeping) but not the time and $$$ for it la.

costly. biggrin.gif i miss my marine tank.

This post has been edited by goldfries: Jul 24 2009, 02:02 AM
goldfries
post Jul 24 2009, 02:15 AM

40K Club
Group Icon
Forum Admin
44,409 posts

eh, clean up gravel as in removing the food waste - that's fine. biggrin.gif cos you don't want them to contaminate the tank.

just don't pick up the rocks and scrubbing and use soap to wash, that'll kill the good bacteria.

i use to have a site for my fishies. biggrin.gif
goldfries
post Jul 24 2009, 05:33 PM

40K Club
Group Icon
Forum Admin
44,409 posts

well time to consider already. biggrin.gif cos ah, if you don't separate them, we don't know if the condition will spread to others.

we also don't know the stress level that fella facing. up to you, 2ft tank cheap only la. just donno whether you have space to put.
goldfries
post Jul 25 2009, 01:35 AM

40K Club
Group Icon
Forum Admin
44,409 posts

the problem with feeding is that we keep thinking they need it 3 times a day at least. funny how i come by many pet keepers who always equate HUMAN to ANIMALS. smile.gif

once every 1 - 3 days also good already.
goldfries
post Jul 25 2009, 06:23 PM

40K Club
Group Icon
Forum Admin
44,409 posts

wah. LOL dayum.... your filter so strong ah?
goldfries
post Jul 25 2009, 06:32 PM

40K Club
Group Icon
Forum Admin
44,409 posts

wait, you got pacu in the tank? oh dear.

from my experience, filters shouldn't be so strong until suck your fish until like that. even those powerful filter, i see is the goldfish get stuck on the filter and can't move at most.

yours look like kena grinder and all. tongue.gif
goldfries
post Jul 25 2009, 07:14 PM

40K Club
Group Icon
Forum Admin
44,409 posts

what's your pump rating la? smile.gif and how big was the goldfish?
goldfries
post Jul 25 2009, 07:23 PM

40K Club
Group Icon
Forum Admin
44,409 posts

oh cheh, 3cm feeder fish then i understand la. i thought a decent sized goldfish. biggrin.gif

like that then totally possible.
goldfries
post Jun 2 2010, 09:41 PM

40K Club
Group Icon
Forum Admin
44,409 posts

QUOTE(Yaozz @ Jun 2 2010, 08:05 PM)
I bought a filter for my fish and it went to heaven . Is there any solution for it? sad.gif
maybe your filter has dirty elements, eg soap residue or something.

or just the fish already too stressed anyway..........

then i saw this post

QUOTE(Yaozz @ May 30 2010, 10:52 PM)
I rear 2 goldfish in a 2.5ft aquarium . I dont use a filter but just using a air pump . I noticed that the water turns bubbly and cloudy after 2-3 hours . What's the problem ? I need help !
your problem is 2 goldfish in 1x 2.5ft tank, which is barely enough.

1 goldfish = 1x 2ft tank, usually 2x1x1

your 2.5 i donno how big, should be standard dimension. it's just barely enough.

we haven't gone into your feeding frequency yet, and the power of your filter.

many things stress the fish. if you keep tapping the tank also can stress the fish!

basically your filter shouldn't be too powerful since it's goldfish aren't your usual streamlined fishes.

Added on June 2, 2010, 9:45 pm
QUOTE(SweetPuff @ May 30 2010, 01:24 AM)
Hey, since goldfishes are supposed to be coldwater, what temperatures are you guys keeping them in? I know if I use an aquarium fan, the temperature should be around 28C.

Also, if I'm interested in Ranchu, can I keep around 1 or 2 in a 1.5 feet tank?
short answer - possible.

proper answer - NO, while it is possible to sustain them in small tank (eg small one), they'll eventually grow and they can grow BIG - regardless of what type of goldfish you're having. in the end you probably have to change water once every 2 days. tongue.gif

ideally 2ft tank = 1 goldfish. (i keep wanting to type goldfries, damn......... LOL)

count by water volume, not just by width of the tank.

since goldfish dirty the water really fast (remember, 1 full grown goldfish is more than 20 guppies in volume) - you can't rely on filter alone.

try to do weekly water change. 1/3 the tank will do. NEVER do full water change because the variance between the water could shock the fish - that includes chemical content and temperature.

another thing - what filter? just HOB filter? a canister filter? those top-flowing type? or did you spend RM 500 - 1000 on some eheim pumps and other expensive filter? it makes a whole lot of difference on many things.

phew........... biggrin.gif lengthy.

fish keeping is not as simple as what people think.
goldfries
post Jun 3 2010, 01:28 AM

40K Club
Group Icon
Forum Admin
44,409 posts

http://www.interestinganimals.net/goldfish...fish_facts.html

Another goldfish facts worth noting is, while a solitary goldfish can be a contented one, it appears to be happier when having one or more other goldfish as company.

from my experience - they don't care. biggrin.gif

they're not like tiger barbs, awesome sepang F1 swimmers when put in groups. also kills my 1 guppy in 1 hit! tongue.gif
goldfries
post Jun 3 2010, 03:32 PM

40K Club
Group Icon
Forum Admin
44,409 posts

ryukin + oranda become what? ryuda or orankin? tongue.gif

btw till now i prefer ryukin over the rest. biggrin.gif
goldfries
post Jun 3 2010, 06:48 PM

40K Club
Group Icon
Forum Admin
44,409 posts

er, generally goldfish do not like to be pet.

touching a goldfish may endanger its health because they have a slime coat protecting them. touching them like that causes damage to the coat, once it's not there then the fella is exposed to infection from bacteria / parasites that are already in the tank.

what we see on video, seems appealing, is not necessary the thing to do.

let's not forget, the temperature on our hand is so much warmer than them and their surrounding, this is a form of shock to them, just like pouring hot water on yourself.
goldfries
post Jun 5 2010, 03:18 AM

40K Club
Group Icon
Forum Admin
44,409 posts

not that i know of either. most shops already overstock kau kau their tank.

before you go, learn to examine fish behavior, and look at their eyes, scales and tail / fins.

you can try Aquatic International la, some can be quite decent cos last i know their tank bigger and lesser fish.

you might have to make 2 trips, first trip to view. then get their number to find out when will new shipment arrive. then go pick your fish FRESH upon delivery.

you can also try Xian Leng in Shah Alam, i donno their fish condition though. haven't been there for a while.
goldfries
post Jun 7 2010, 01:06 AM

40K Club
Group Icon
Forum Admin
44,409 posts

most people keep their goldfish tank bare. i donno why, maybe nicer. biggrin.gif shouldn't be a problem with any sand la.

as for lights, most places use those with red tinge cos it brings out the orange and red color of the goldfish.

Change to:
| Lo-Fi Version
0.0261sec    0.11    7 queries    GZIP Disabled
Time is now: 29th March 2024 - 07:26 PM