Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

RSS feedBump TopicReply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

Outline · [ Standard ] · Linear+

> IELTS

jasperng
post Feb 14 2009, 01:15 PM

- Eminent Leader -
Group: Senior Member

I would like to know what common preparation do I have to do for IELTS exam ?

I do aware there is workshop... however it is bloody expensive. How useful it is ? ...

Are there any cheaper tuition that would be enough for IELTS ? be it private or class tuition.

Would it be enough if I only read the IELTS book ?..

Aiming for atleast band 6.5 btw.

User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
alabais
post Feb 14 2009, 01:24 PM

Enthusiast

I went through IELTS on 7 Feb. There's websites that have free test samples which are helpful. I've listed down a few but if you Google it up, you might find more. You are taking the General or Academic IELTS?

http://elc.polyu.edu.hk/IELTS/ - take it online, or print the booklet
http://www.esl-lab.com/ - for this one you will need Real Audio Player
http://www.gday.ru/ielts/reading/generalreading/
http://www.gday.ru/ielts/reading/academicreading/
http://www.ielts.org/_lib/pdf/1969_IELTSappForm05.pdf
http://www.onestopenglish.com/Exams/pdfs/uffizi_reading.pdf
http://www.selfaccess.com/www/sa/sa/htm/sa_samples.php

Good luck!
+Quote Post
jasperng
post Feb 14 2009, 03:20 PM

- Eminent Leader -

great links. thanks for the help . Im going for academic .

Izzit enough to self study to get band 6.5 atleast ? @@~ My english is intermediate. However, it's been a while since i write essay lol.
+Quote Post
xavier aka vicky boy
post Feb 14 2009, 06:45 PM

Getting Started
Group: Junior Member

go look for Cambridge Ielts book, do some practice there

go to the website, ielts practice, there is a free reading and listening sample that you can try, tips to write better to score at least 7 or above...

for speaking, speak english everyday before you sit for ur ielts, find notes regarding wat the examiner would ask.... in the internet, ur seniors n etc

there is 3 part, first, introduction of yourself, 2 part is talk about a topic, 3part is talk about the 2 topic, but it is more on application, more on conflict, questions related to topic 2

writing, 2 part, first, diagram, bar chart would be given, its easy to score, use more keywords to explain the graph, erm, 2 part, its open, you will be ask to write an essay, my topic last year when i sat is, "Group study or individual study, which one suit you and why" so, this part, i score teruk, band 7 for writing...

listening, basically, first part easy, then come to the last part that is hard to catch up... reading, make sure you read any journal or text from the website, practice and understand...

to score well for writing part 1 and listening, speaking, my Ielts lecturer advise us to listen to the radio, listen how the DJ talk, when there is an interview or etc... do u watch ntv7 breakfast show, ahh... that one is good for your speaking you knw... and for writing, if u got astro or wat, go turn to business news, there, u can learn to use many terms to explain the bar chart and graph u know... take note whenever u listen to the news from tv, radio n etc... remember, speak english everyday, read the papers...

that is wat my ielts teacher told us... so i this info help u la... take k

p/s - when speaking that time, be yourself, dun talk to the examiner, "i don't know lah" remember, no lah okie... and when talk, dun say erm...erm... i tink....JUST be frank.... and ya... erm... another tips i learn from my frens that score band 8 for speaking and 8.5 is, speak non stop... dun worry if the examiner will stop u... just be urself okie... haha
+Quote Post
jhong
post Feb 16 2009, 04:10 PM

On my way

I never get books for IELTS last month when i sat for IELTS . Speaking test is the worst as i was too nervous when the recorder was putting in front of me and cant really give a full answer . I got only a 6.5 overall.

I think 6.5 can be easily achieved though if u get some books and get used to the questions .
+Quote Post
jasperng
post Mar 28 2009, 08:05 PM

- Eminent Leader -

Im wondering should I buy the book from IDP which costs RM 100 ? It is published by longman. I saw the same book selling at RM 80 at Kinokuniya ... hmphz . Dam blood sucker ..

Should I buy the reference book sold by British Council ? It is published by them and it costs RM 90.

Which one do you guys recommend ?

I also saw another reference book by Wiley which costs RM 73

I do not consider cambridge and oxford books and it is immensely expensive ...
+Quote Post
alsree786
post Mar 28 2009, 10:24 PM

Enthusiast

all books are expensive imo...but i was happy with think book i got from British Council. all u need to know about the test is there...
+Quote Post
jasperng
post Mar 28 2009, 10:38 PM

- Eminent Leader -

are you referring to the RM90 book or the interactive CD which costs RM 110 ?

They are offering 3 materials as stated in the brochure
1)Road to IELTS CD ROM - interactive 30 hours prepartion course produced by the british council . RM 100
2) How to prepare for IELTS. Book and CD published by the British Council. RM 90
3) Specimen material which is an IELTS official publication to test your level RM 80.

which one should I buy ?
+Quote Post
Syd G
post Mar 28 2009, 11:49 PM

Mom. Accidental Medical Student.
Group Icon
Health & Fitness
Group: Moderator

I didnt study at all for my IELTS and got a 9.0 for reading and listening wink.gif It's different from our English exam. Some of the questions are MCQs.

Here's a tip on listening. The speaker(s) will be speaking in very pekat British English (Mine had additional OZ/NZ slang). We Malaysians are so used to listening to Americans speak, so their pronunciation of certain words are different. Listen to more conversations in Brit English. BBC is a good place to start biggrin.gif
+Quote Post
jasperng
post Mar 28 2009, 11:54 PM

- Eminent Leader -

wow 9.0 .. full marks... you must be very good =/ ... noted. Will pay BBC a visit .
+Quote Post
alsree786
post Mar 29 2009, 07:43 AM

Enthusiast

QUOTE(jasperng @ Mar 28 2009, 11:54 PM)
wow 9.0 .. full marks... you must be very good =/ ...  noted. Will pay BBC a visit .
the specimen material which costs 80. you dun really have to buy thick books to study. just relax. it's an assessment of your english level at that particular time, you cant really do last minute studying and everything. if u really think u need to prepare, read alot and listen to the radio or watch the news or something. BBC as suggested above was an interesting idea. I didn't really prepare other than getting that book, and managed to get the score i wanted. hope u do too.
+Quote Post
Tatsumaki
post Mar 29 2009, 12:00 PM

Getting Started

I scored 8.0 and i did got for a short term class courtesy of my college lecturer. I am a banana therefore you can safely say, english educated.
No i'm not trying to brag. The point is that even with a decent background, one needs to attend at least some form of rudimentary class.

This is to ensure the candidate is familiar with what they will question.

Secondly also, i strongly advise you OP to type in proper english. Text talk is a common disease in malaysia even for forums posts where individual characters aren't charged an additional 1 cent.

How does spelling words correctly on the forum help? It will help you during essay time when you will not have the luxury of spell checker.
Reading also helps a lot. Reading, i mean reading paperback books to the least not magazines. Magazines are junk tongue.gif
+Quote Post
luckykid
post Mar 29 2009, 12:03 PM

Getting Started

Does grammar not matter?
There are a few grammar mistakes in your post...
+Quote Post
teddys_t
post Mar 29 2009, 12:07 PM

no need to spend money attend class...just need to know the format ..thts all....
i got 7.0....still acceptable lo biggrin.gif
+Quote Post
Tatsumaki
post Mar 29 2009, 12:51 PM

Getting Started

QUOTE(luckykid @ Mar 29 2009, 12:03 PM)
Does grammar not matter?
There are a few grammar mistakes in your post...
lol i realize my grandma isn't strong. I'm way better with conversing than writing. Grammar is important for the exam though tongue.gif
+Quote Post
alsree786
post Mar 29 2009, 07:24 PM

Enthusiast

yeah, so the bottomline is if you speak english decently enough, dun bother with the courses coz they are quite expensive and time consuming...just stick to the specimen book to familiarise yourself with the exam format.

i recommend a good night's sleep before the exam. You dun want to be mumbling words when you're speaking neither do u want to miss out key issues during the listening test. plus, it can drag on till the late afternoon...
+Quote Post
sendo7
post Dec 23 2013, 07:03 PM

interesting!!
+Quote Post
KHinTheGame
post Dec 25 2013, 09:18 AM

Getting Started

Buying the book is quite recommended to practice the listening test cause
1)Ang Moh Slang
2)Answers can be quite str8 forward or back to back where you cant hear it
sometimes

The rest if you are english educated then it should be a breeze. Practice lots of speaking cause you are going to need to speak for 2 min str8zzz
I also quite scared just sat my ielts last week. Normally i can speak with ppl fluently but the moment i take any interview or speaking test like this my voice becomes low formal and i stutter alot. Damn scared i cant get above 6 for speaking cause my course requires 6.5 overall and 6 from each subtest sad.gif
+Quote Post

Bump TopicReply to this topicTopic OptionsStart new topic

> Find Us on Facebook

Switch to:
| Lo-Fi Version
0.0703sec    2.14    5 queries    GZIP Disabled
Time is now: 20th April 2014 - 05:11 PM