6 Pages < 1 2 3 4 5 > » Bottom

Outline · [ Standard ] · Linear+

RM3k income can afford an used Volvo S40?, newbie

views

spacepilot
post Jan 27 2009, 12:09 AM

Enthusiast
887 posts

QUOTE(InF.anime @ Jan 21 2009, 04:59 PM)
Hi guys, im a freshie with RM3k/monthly, can i afford an used Volvo S40 or a S40T?
How is its fuel consumption? What kind of maintainance expences for S40?

Please advice or suggest other car model. Thanks.
If you wanna get this car, I suggest you go the the chop shop to find the spare parts there for future replacement.
Most of the components in new Volvo are made almost for beyond repairable.

sysh
post Jan 27 2009, 12:20 AM

Getting Started
265 posts

I think it's hard to get a car with that monthly income due to certain criteria
a) high interest rate: >5%
b) low tenue period: 5 - 6 years due to age of the car

Unless you can chalk a considerable amount in downpayment (lotsa saving up when u're young) for the car, it'll be tough for you. Besides, it's not a wise idea to dump all ur savings for a car
azi
post Jan 27 2009, 01:27 AM

Getting Started
130 posts

QUOTE(Synco @ Jan 25 2009, 04:41 PM)
agreed . most ppl just listen to their fren's fren's uncle 's cousin . If u r going back to those authorized dealer to fix your car no matter new or old , prepare to kena chop . My maintenance drop from 15k with Federal auto to 3k when i switched to those outside mechanic ( ex - Federal auto mechanic ).  Abt fuel consumption i dont think any car can beat Naza Kia , drink fuel like water .
hi just to give an opinion here, im driving a s40 now, the 1st gen. somehow i find many comments here untrue. If you have done more research, you would have found out that the 1st Gen s40 shares the same chassis with waja. thus it can almost use all its suspension components as well, having said that, tyre sizes and rims are common too (jap specs).
currently 2nd hand price is ard 40k which makes it cheaper than vios/city. the keyword is PATIENCE to find a tip top unit. i spent 3mths finding one. hunt for those company cars that are fully maintained by volvo dealer (dealers are STRICT on schedule, and company cars have company paying for them thus they will just change/do what the dealers recommend + complete history)
for maintainance, nothing much except regular servicing at 10k kms, cost abt rm300 including full syn oils.. again, keyword is you must know what you are changing (wear and tear) and ex-volvo mech.. so far nothing major for me except timing belt +usual wear and tear.. 150k kms+ liao.
high fuel consumption? RM80 (1.80 per ltr) gets me to 500kms.. mixed highway and city.. and my model is the turbo one.

all i can say is, for 40-50k this is the most value-for-money car if you have sufficient d/payment. huge loan sum isnt worth it.
www.makan99.com
post Mar 1 2009, 02:26 AM

9 posts

ahahahhahaah yeaps! u tell anyone, "i drive a volvo". you will win the impression points hahaha thumbup.gif

and btw, another alternative is "Tepuk Tetek Tanya Nafsu" tongue.gif

QUOTE(SleeplessEyes @ Jan 21 2009, 09:35 PM)
There is one Malay proverb :
"Tepuk Dada, Tanya Selera"

You have to ask yourself on this one.I wont demotivate you by telling you to buy a VIOS/City instead, cause this is a too-commonly used phrase. 

If others can afford only a VIOS but not a Volvo and yet they are telling you "better get one vios/city brand new, warranty, yau yeng also", I tell you, a VOLVO is anytime more "Yau Yeng" than a VIOS for sure.

AND that is up to you to decide, the money spent is after all YOURS , not theirs.Its your own blood and sweat money.

The rewards of owning a Volvo is there, if you can afford the maintenance, monthly repayments and others.
This post has been edited by www.makan99.com: Mar 1 2009, 02:26 AM
SUSYellowpageS
post Mar 2 2009, 03:55 PM

39 posts

ya... the maintenance of the it very expensive and fuel consumption also quite high.
Ka Ken
post Mar 2 2009, 06:49 PM

0 posts

Greetings InF.anime,

I'm Ken and currently owning a used Volvo S40 2.0T end '02 model.I got this car back in 2006 ( 3 years old car that time) and trust me with 3K income you cant really survive after buying that car.You only have 2.5k left per month EXCLUDING petrol,car park,MAINTENANCE.What about your daily expenses such as food etc? smile.gif

I'm not discouraging you from buying this model but to be honest..the maintenance is a problem as for a conti car.Bear in mind, the older model you get..the more $$ the maintenance is.I bought mine from Federal Auto with 80k mileage and let me tell you the history of my maintenance and costs.The car itself is maintained by FA before my ownership.

1st year of ownership ( 2006 onwards - I got the car the moment our PM announced the petrol hike)

1) Not much of an issue, just service the car at FA.Costs me around RM300

Total RM300

2nd year of ownership ( 2007 onwards)

1) Engine cooling fan broke down in Federal Highway during heavy rain - RM550 fixed at FA
2) Normal service at FA - around RM 300- RM400
3) Interior door panels were loosing and needs to be secured again.RM200 to fix back all 4 panels with clips etc

Total RM 1100

3rd year of ownership ( 2008 onwards)

1) Interior roof padding ( the entire roof padding above you) - continued to drop and eventually had to get it done outside (replaced outside) - RM 500
2) A/C switch ( to control the a/c fan speed) - failed while coming back from SG. RM 450 fixed at FA
3) Shock absorbers giving way - Spent RM1.5K for all 4 ( recond sets from 2nd hand dealer) replaced outside
4) Normal service @ RM 250 (no longer in FA as their service is $$ and their service advisers are not friendly - I had a row with one idiot there..didn't even wish me or say anything when I brought in my car..silly isnt it? Servicing a Volvo man not a BMX!
5) Repainted all the black trims around the car body - due to normal wear and tear and is fading - RM200
6) Drive shaft was rattling.Got it fixed ( not replaced) at my normal mechanic specializing in Volvo at Glenmarie and also changed all 4 engine mounting - A whopping RM3K including labor.Suspect this is due to going through some potholes and I didn't even notice them..Hmm Volvo cars are safe but are they tough?? tongue.gif
7) Changed all 4 brake pads and brake calipers. RM 1.5K ( recond mint condition sets from 2nd hand dealer )

Total RM4650

4th year of ownership ( 2009 onwards)

1) Just yesterday - Water tank hose burst, car nearly overheat.Luckily gasket didn't burn.. - I am collecting my car later.I dont know how much will it cost - estimated around RM200 or so.. ( if I am lucky) My car spent the night at Tesco Shah Alam car park.Luckily no thieves smile.gif
2) My car steering is now making noises whenever I turn left or right.This will be fixed by my mechanic during the next service interval which is round the corner.Price estimation? TBA

Total ??

Bear in mind InF.anime, I'm a careful driver and my mileage is only 12k per year.Car is 'on display in my garage' on weekends.It is not used.Whatever changes needed, I will get it fixed and just look at the car maintenance over 4 years and I have the full service history record including the previous owner.So far my car has only done an extra 35k mileage since I bought it till now.

This does not include your daily maintenance like petrol, car park,tyres,battery etc.Dont forget ROAD TAX & INSURANCE

I am currently using maintenance free battery and costs RM300 per piece.Tyre comes to about RM700 for 4 (Goodyear) You also need to maintain the leather interior of the car ( full leather) else the leather will lose it's quality and will tear.

Suggest that you look at a normal Jap or local car (MyVi) since you are a fresh graduate and just started work smile.gif You can think of Volvo once you have a higher income.

No doubt Volvo is a good safe car to drive but you need to really maintain it. Trust me and remember, the older the S40 you get, the more worries you have to look at.Mind you, phase 1 models have much more problem compared to mine which is Phase 2 model ( '01 onwards)

emechelmi
post Mar 2 2009, 07:13 PM

Casual
367 posts

Ken,

Basically you-re slaughtered by FA, period.

Most Volvo owners/enthusiast would not dare to send their Volvo to FA for servicing/breakdown repair'. Proof of full servicing records from FA does not guarantee the car is in tip-top condition. I've heard alot of bad stories from other Volvo owners on FA. some are charged for parts that wrongly replaced, poor troubleshooting skills, lousy workmanship, etc.

Funny thing is, the car that fully serviced by FA is the one that usually spend more time inside a workshop than on the road.

FA is known for charging exhorbitant price for parts and labor. Yet its workmanship more or less equal with other independent workshops out there
BridgestoneRE711
post Mar 2 2009, 09:16 PM

♦ ♣ ♥ ♠
3,429 posts

impossible .
even honda city and vios also quite burden .

unless u are talking about stay at family house , eat parent's cook etc.
NewbieBetta
post Mar 2 2009, 10:39 PM

The Sexy Man
3,704 posts

my opinion,not worth buying an old volvo...rather go for new proton saga,or a used waja
SonnyCooL
post Mar 3 2009, 01:50 AM

Web Bastard
5,957 posts

volvo S40 not really that bad lah ...... get the right person to the do right job will safe u a lot of time and money .....
i have 91 s40 for sell smile.gif

Ka Ken
post Mar 4 2009, 10:11 AM

0 posts

IMHO,

I think S40 is a good car to drive but in terms of stability and handling, it cant match the Bimmers..overall you need to maintain the car in order for it to give you less worries ( same as other cars too) but of course, you cant compare maintaining a conti car and a local/jap car..

emechelmi, FYI, i only went to service my car during my 1st 2 years of owning this car..after that I service my car in a reputable Volvo service centre in Glenmarie after joining the VOCM club and attended 2 TT sessions with them smile.gif BTW, are you a VOCM member or Volvo owner?

js_bsket
post Mar 4 2009, 10:18 AM

1 posts

volvo is durable and safety... can consider and buy... but have to save some income for repair work.
emechelmi
post Mar 4 2009, 08:31 PM

Casual
367 posts

ken ka. the answer is yes for your question. Biasness is the order of the day. My Volvo is much much older than yours., in fact much older than me!

I assume shop in Glenmarie is OSF.

This post has been edited by emechelmi: Mar 4 2009, 08:32 PM
kayap00
post Mar 5 2009, 04:49 PM

Getting Started
152 posts

RM3k income can afford an used Volvo S40?

the anwer is YES ... if ..

your company pay for the petrol,basic maintenance and phone bill.
breakfast, lunch and dinner eat at home.
insurance, astro, streamyx, electric and water bill pay by parents.

then minus out rm500 for mum.. u got rm2500.. monthly installment rm2000.00 .. u still got rm500 to keep .. somemore can dating weekly for movie and dinner...
veristarq
post Mar 8 2009, 06:05 AM

0 posts

One question..Are you car enthusiastic? Do you know how to source the cheap part? Cheap workshop? Automobile fan?
If no, better to buy a new car..

But, it is up to you..

If you need assist/information from the die-hard volvo..please visit the link below.
www.vocm.com.my

This post has been edited by veristarq: Mar 8 2009, 06:08 AM
kyle9999
post Mar 11 2009, 03:03 PM

0 posts

Volvo cars maintenance very high...
1 time service at the dealer center cost you a minimum of RM1k
but only 20k km only service 1 time lah

now the brand new S40 is OK lah, installment per month RM1288++
Swedish Marque offer very good service, I bought my C70 from there last year.

AND

Each time you service your car you will get a call from a research company 1 month later to know your feedback on the service experience.

not worth.... unless you earn about RM5k++/mth or you dun ever think about getting a Volvo laugh.gif

Also the lubricants itself cost about RM500
Filter also around there...
and if your car got funny sound they can't detect it/fix it.... because they use lousy computer to check.
always got complaint that they couldn't identify the problems.
and the parts you have to wait them to order... waiting time quite long, longest time about 3 weeks or more?
the plastic thingly also not very lasting.. dun park your car under the hot sun!!!!! or the color will faded..... even melted

safety YES!!
but repair extreme expensive....

This post has been edited by kyle9999: Mar 11 2009, 03:09 PM
mikro
post Mar 11 2009, 09:05 PM

Casual
486 posts

got money, better take a car that give less headche.

Take the extra money you can afford and spend it on travel, computer games, 100% make you happy than owning a car, any car will ought to give headche.

Just my 2 cent.

unknown warrior
post Mar 11 2009, 09:58 PM

/k/ Legend
6,240 posts

You want to own a conti car make sure you have enough income to afford maintenance.

This the problem with Malaysians, Gaji increase sikit already think about buying a status kind of car.

keii-kun
post Mar 11 2009, 10:58 PM

Regular
1,120 posts

i think TS already got enough feedback whether to buy or not brows.gif

well, my colleague who have worked for 10yrs in oil & gas, salary 3x that yours, had to take a lot of time to decide whether to change his wira 1.3 to new honda city. why? owning a car without need to pay installment is such a heaven...

my recommendation, set a maximum allowable installment you can afford. estimate it for 5 yrs or 7yrs , being 7yrs for a car <3yrs, 5yrs for cars 5-7yrs. then you can start looking for cars within your budget.

i'd say, 2nd hand kelisa would meet your needs, fuel efficient, good pickup. else 2005-2006, gen2 would be ok as well , around RM30k..

yes, new cars have warranty to protect you from paying hefty maintenance parts compared to used cars, but you need to pay its regular services @ service center.

used cars can be sent to outside mech, but go join its club (if got, nowadays almost all type of car got forum n club, get workshop recommended to avoid being conned during repairs and cheaper parts) but sometime, they fail without warning.
Kinalocos
post Mar 12 2009, 09:00 PM

Getting Started
71 posts

get a car that is less than or equal to your annual income

6 Pages < 1 2 3 4 5 > » Top

Change to:
| Lo-Fi Version
0.0204sec    0.20    5 queries    GZIP Disabled
Time is now: 29th March 2024 - 08:46 PM