Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Outline · [ Standard ] · Linear+

What are you reading now?

views

happy_berry
post Mar 10 2012, 05:53 AM

Look at all my stars!!
2,465 posts

Re-reading My Sister Lives on the mantelpiece. <3 Never knew it was debut book for Anabel and a bestseller. Love it!
happy_berry
post Jun 17 2012, 12:35 PM

Look at all my stars!!
2,465 posts

biggrin.gifuser posted image

The Catcher in the Rye. The writing style of this book was ......weird. Kinda like how I would express my thoughts lol.

Aside from that, I am looking forward getting John Green's books especially Looking for Alaska and The Fault in Our Stars and also Michael Grant's Gone series.
There are a lot of books that I freaking want to read but lets just save that after my big exam because I have a total of 2months++ of free time to be spent on reading amazing books.
happy_berry
post Jun 29 2012, 05:52 PM

Look at all my stars!!
2,465 posts

Shatter Me by Tahereh Mafi. I absolutely love how this novel was written. It definitely describes the situation and emotions of that character perfectly. Lovin it so far. <3

Update: Finished the book. Mainly disgusted by it. yay~~~

This post has been edited by happy_berry: Jul 22 2012, 09:56 PM
happy_berry
post Oct 14 2012, 12:12 PM

Look at all my stars!!
2,465 posts

Crank by Ellen Hopkins.. I know what to expect from this book, I'm just curious about her style of writing in the book...
happy_berry
post Dec 5 2012, 07:48 AM

Look at all my stars!!
2,465 posts

I always thought this book would be a little heavy for my liking, I picked it up anyway... Since I finally got it in my hands, might as well read the whole thing. To Kill a Mockingbird by Harper Lee.

I just hope I don't get too depressed by it. Hell, even The Catcher in the Rye gave me that hint of sadness. ><

This post has been edited by happy_berry: Dec 5 2012, 07:51 AM
happy_berry
post Dec 11 2012, 10:17 AM

Look at all my stars!!
2,465 posts

QUOTE(blueflame @ Dec 11 2012, 09:11 AM)
And, I didn't get the point of Catcher In The Rye after I read it.

I don't know, perhaps I'm a little too dense?  blush.gif  sad.gif
BF!!! blush.gif biggrin.gif

There isn't any substantial plot for it. The novel itself is just Holden's diary entry - how he viewed the world and people around him, things he went through and essentially, what one would experience if one were attempting to grow up too fast. 20++ pages through the book and I already adore the goddamn hypocrite. laugh.gif

Catcher in the Rye is definitely not for everyone (not to mention linguistic wise, stuff is infested with informals/ american lingo). Maybe you couldn't relate to him and/or his journey?

This post has been edited by happy_berry: Dec 11 2012, 10:20 AM
happy_berry
post Dec 12 2012, 08:56 AM

Look at all my stars!!
2,465 posts

QUOTE(blueflame @ Dec 11 2012, 03:47 PM)
Hai thar berry!  laugh.gif

Perhaps I couldn't relate to him. Or maybe I just don't like books without a plot.
I forgot most of that book already. I read it quite some time ago.
Man, now I feel like reading it again. Maybe I'll enjoy it more now than I did last time. I have to admit that I wasn't really matured yet when I read it the first time.

Have you read The Perks Of Being A Wallflower?

If you have the time, do you mind reviewing To Kill A Mockingbird?  smile.gif
I don't really see how one's level of maturity correlates to .. reading a classic. You don't need maturity to feel attached to a nonexistent fictional character whom you imagined to be oh-so good looking and cute.. *ahem* sleep.gif

Holden is definitely someone I can very much relate to at the current moment, which is why I enjoyed his story-telling so much. Anyway, it doesn't hurt to read it again.

No. Do you think it's worth buying? It's thin and expensive. user posted image

Reviewing that?? Gurllll... okay.. if I didn't forget la.. haha
happy_berry
post Dec 14 2012, 12:20 PM

Look at all my stars!!
2,465 posts

QUOTE(blueflame @ Dec 12 2012, 11:05 PM)
Hmm, perhaps maturity wasn't the right word...  hmm.gif

What I meant is that I didn't relate to him or understand him at the first time I read that book. Perhaps I do now that my thinking is different.

To me, The Perks Of Being A Wallflower is similar to Catcher In The Rye in the sense that it is also a... what do you call it?... coming-of-age book.
I enjoyed it because I felt like my thoughts were achingly similar to Charlie's.
Honestly though, I don't understand what's the hype about it. I liked it, but I didn't LOVE it.

I would say it is worth reading. I didn't buy it, I borrowed it from a friend. I borrowed Catcher In The Rye from a friend too.

Btw, I tried searching for TFIOS in a bookstore nearby and I couldn't find it.  mad.gif
I know what you mean.. Anyway, if you happen to flip through the book again, feel free to tell me your second impression of it.

To be honest, I'm still baffled that these books are part of the American Literature - books that teenagers like us are encouraged to read and then reflect upon. They're like so deep imo. I mean if you were to compare The Great Gatsby with The Curse for example, you'd think the latter one is something that belongs on a 9 year-old bookshelf. The fact that these fictional works translate to the truths that are happening in the real world, hence making them feel far more relatable and close, is what the hype is about to most Americans. We're fairly sheltered as an individual growing up in Malaysia. Eh, enough baffling.

I found the book at MPH... Good God, it's about RM65 for a paperback I think. *faints*
happy_berry
post Mar 3 2013, 01:47 PM

Look at all my stars!!
2,465 posts

After all the hype,

I finally picked up Warm Bodies by Issac Marion. Basically in this post-apocalyptic zombie world, zombies who eat a human brain will somehow have the memories of said human retained in their zombie minds. The zombies in this book are different than your typical zombie, they have thoughts and a wee bit of humour. The story kinda flies off when R, le main zombie, falls in love with this girl.

I've been wanting a romance+zombie kinda thang.. blush.gif
happy_berry
post Mar 6 2013, 06:15 AM

Look at all my stars!!
2,465 posts

QUOTE(BunnyRAWR @ Mar 3 2013, 02:01 PM)
Sounds awesome. How is it?
So far, I'm surprised that it is well-written in a rather delicate and subtle manner considering the fact that it is from a zombie's point of view. I guess Issac just wants R to be a zombie that everyone adores. blush.gif
happy_berry
post Apr 6 2013, 05:42 AM

Look at all my stars!!
2,465 posts

QUOTE(blueflame @ Apr 6 2013, 12:31 AM)
After I've watched the movie and fell in love with it, I've been searching high and low for the book in local bookstores but to no avail. sad.gif
kesian.. go online la.
happy_berry
post Feb 14 2015, 08:26 AM

Look at all my stars!!
2,465 posts

Fahrenheit 451. Dystopian novel. I think it's about firefighters burning books?

I've been kind of itching for Murakami's works recently.
happy_berry
post Oct 16 2016, 11:55 AM

Look at all my stars!!
2,465 posts

QUOTE(avanpiper @ Oct 14 2016, 09:19 PM)
user posted image

4 of 5 stars!  thumbsup.gif

This may not be as good as Big Little Lies which is my favorite book from the author but I still thoroughly enjoyed reading this.

There may not be ground-breaking twists and turns but the author really put so much effort bringing these rich and vivid characters to life. That has always been her strength and she's good at it. I love getting to know the characters and even their daily lives are interesting to explore. The first half of the book is funny (as expected) while the second half gets a bit serious with these little twists surfacing, some of which are expected but some I didn't see coming. Overall, a satisfying read with insight into domestic life, friendship, secrets and more.
sorry off-topic,

You read a lot of books. How do you find the time tho?
happy_berry
post Jan 11 2018, 04:40 PM

Look at all my stars!!
2,465 posts

Crooked Kingdom by Leigh Bardugo

I know this duology is so so highly rated, but don't think I share the same sentiment - at least in intensity. It's still pretty good tho. Bardugo seems to know her shit.
happy_berry
post Aug 24 2020, 11:17 AM

Look at all my stars!!
2,465 posts

QUOTE(bengang14 @ Aug 20 2020, 12:18 PM)
Re-reading Circe, then will go to kite runner
How's Circe? I've heard so much about it.
happy_berry
post Aug 25 2020, 09:58 PM

Look at all my stars!!
2,465 posts

QUOTE(bengang14 @ Aug 24 2020, 08:26 PM)
get the book. its really inspiring. talk about mistake, strength, overcoming the impossible, forgiveness, being true to oneself and redemption.

in fact i prefer this to song of archiles..plus point if u like greek mythology.
is this mc likeable? i hate a shitty character more than anything tbh
happy_berry
post Sep 16 2020, 06:20 PM

Look at all my stars!!
2,465 posts

Finished Scarlet, the 2nd book in the Lunar Chronicles by Marissa Meyer. I don't know why it took me 7 years to finally read this series and it pains me so much to realize all the times I could've spent reading this badass story instead of the trashy ones.
happy_berry
post Sep 22 2021, 01:18 PM

Look at all my stars!!
2,465 posts

QUOTE(xpole @ Sep 21 2021, 11:33 AM)
Now I know why most local people avoid public libraries in Malaysia.

The book collections are not updated, catered to 1 language mostly, and heavily with religion book collections.

I surf Overdrive by the PPAS library website, the e-books that are available to be borrowed are not interesting.
Have you tried Libby? I linked my local library card with it and the selections are pretty wide.

Change to:
| Lo-Fi Version
0.0185sec    0.24    7 queries    GZIP Disabled
Time is now: 29th March 2024 - 08:54 AM