Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Outline · [ Standard ] · Linear+

What is salary package after completing MBA course

views

TSpokai
post Jan 4 2009, 04:08 PM, updated 16y ago

30 posts

Hello to all MBA holders,

I would like to do a survey, because I plan to take MBA part time course.

Please provide proper reply.

1) What MBA you have taken ? Local Uni or Oversea Uni or local twinning?
2) Any job promotion or salary increment (how much %) after completing your MBA?
3) What field you are working? Can u briefly describe about your job?
4) Is MBA relevant to your job function?
5) What is your salary range now?

Thank you.

Added on January 4, 2009, 4:15 pm
QUOTE(pokai @ Jan 4 2009, 05:08 PM)
Hello to all MBA holders,

I would like to do a survey, because I plan to take MBA part time course.

Please provide proper reply.

1) What MBA you have taken ?  Local Uni or Oversea Uni or local twinning?
2) Any job promotion or salary increment (how much %) after completing your MBA?

Thank you.
Added another one question:
1) What MBA you have taken ? Local Uni or Oversea Uni or local twinning?
6) How many years of working experince before you started your MBA course?

This post has been edited by pokai: Jan 4 2009, 04:15 PM
robertngo
post Jan 4 2009, 06:40 PM

Look at all my stars!!
4,027 posts

FT have a ranking on MBA salary increase, most get about 100% increment, dont know if applicable to malaysia, because no malaysian school made the list sweat.gif

http://rankings.ft.com/businessschoolranki...al-mba-rankings

This post has been edited by robertngo: Jan 4 2009, 06:42 PM
deodorant
post Jan 4 2009, 07:43 PM

Surfing LYN instead of Working.
5,691 posts

Most local companies pay only for the position, and not the qualification. Even with MNCs in Malaysia you will rarely get the huge post-MBA increments that Americans and Europeans get.
tishaban
post Jan 4 2009, 10:23 PM

Look at all my stars!!
3,615 posts

QUOTE(deodorant @ Jan 4 2009, 07:43 PM)
Most local companies pay only for the position, and not the qualification. Even with MNCs in Malaysia you will rarely get the huge post-MBA increments that Americans and Europeans get.
Most full time MBA graduates from the top schools are recruited straight after graduation so they're not getting a pay increase from the same company. The money is pre-MBA pay in company #1 vs. post-MBA pay in company #2 so you see a big difference. I work for a European MNC and even though they'll pay for an MBA they won't give you a pay increase, however more positions are open to you because of the additional qualifications but even then you don't get anywhere close to 100% pay increment.

shadow111
post Jan 4 2009, 10:24 PM

Look at all my stars!!
3,137 posts

if not mistaken, my current company pay additional RM300 if you have MBA...
kaiserwulf
post Jan 4 2009, 10:47 PM

Regular
1,110 posts

Extra 300 per month for the RM 120,000 course (assuming an Aussie MBA- not even talking UK). Anyone care to calculate the breakeven point? Before or after retirement?

This post has been edited by kaiserwulf: Jan 4 2009, 10:47 PM
thechetticompany
post Jan 4 2009, 11:29 PM

Getting Started
200 posts

QUOTE(kaiserwulf @ Jan 4 2009, 10:47 PM)
Extra 300 per month for the RM 120,000 course (assuming an Aussie MBA- not even talking UK). Anyone care to calculate the breakeven point? Before or after retirement?
That's why it's foolish to spend that much on studies hoping to get the same in return.

Not in Malaysia and wrong timing.

By the way for an MBA any tom d$ck and harry can get it with money.

and in Malaysia many employers who are locally educated will think that your degree is on par as theirs.So be prepared.You won't get the upper hand.They'll think that graduating from local U will be a feat because people say local U are hard to get in which is wrong concept because they don't have any idea that the quality of education for local standards are sub par.

If you've got an foreign MBA, why not try your luck overseas?
NOT IN Malaysia.

I work in a MNC and my boss who's local graduate use to tell me how great his degree was because local Unis are hard to get in.That is in "Malaysia".My foreign boss who's based in HQ don't see it that way duh.

Lesson? Malaysia sucks and jealous lots do not appreciate you.They see you as a contender and the only way you unsurp them is by going global.

This post has been edited by thechetticompany: Jan 4 2009, 11:47 PM
shadow111
post Jan 4 2009, 11:50 PM

Look at all my stars!!
3,137 posts

In Malaysia, an MBA is equal no matter you take it from oversea or locally.
A very good example you can see is degree.. Does oversea degree grad get a better pay compare to local degree grad here?
Most probably they are getting the same pay or slightly better (maybe a few hundred if lucky).

Even if you have a degree or MBA or even phd from oversea won't matter much here..

Added on January 4, 2009, 11:56 pm
QUOTE(thechetticompany @ Jan 4 2009, 11:29 PM)
That's why it's foolish to spend that much on studies hoping to get the same in return.

Not in Malaysia and wrong timing.

By the way for an MBA any tom d$ck and harry can get it with money.

and in Malaysia many employers who are locally educated will think that your degree is on par as theirs.So be prepared.You won't get the upper hand.They'll think that graduating from local U will be a feat because people say local U are hard to get in which is wrong concept because they don't have any idea that the quality of education for local standards are sub par.

If you've got an foreign MBA, why not try your luck overseas?
NOT IN Malaysia.

I work in a MNC and my boss who's local graduate use to tell me how great his degree was because local Unis are hard to get in.That is in "Malaysia".My foreign boss who's based in HQ don't see it that way duh.

Lesson? Malaysia sucks and jealous lots do not appreciate you.They see you as a contender and the only way you unsurp them is by going global.
i do agree that oversea education is much better compare to malaysia.. but the fact remains that degree/MBA/etc is just a paper certification..
it may be the jumpstart of your career, but nothin more than that.. Most of the time, what you learn in U is not the same in working life..

This post has been edited by shadow111: Jan 4 2009, 11:56 PM
thechetticompany
post Jan 5 2009, 12:07 AM

Getting Started
200 posts

QUOTE(shadow111 @ Jan 4 2009, 11:50 PM)
In Malaysia, an MBA is equal no matter you take it from oversea or locally.
A very good example you can see is degree.. Does oversea degree grad get a better pay compare to local degree grad here?
Most probably they are getting the same pay or slightly better (maybe a few hundred if lucky).

Even if you have a degree or MBA or even phd from oversea won't matter much here..

Added on January 4, 2009, 11:56 pm

i do agree that oversea education is much better compare to malaysia.. but the fact remains that degree/MBA/etc is just a paper certification..
it may be the jumpstart of your career, but nothin more than that.. Most of the time, what you learn in U is not the same in working life..
Perhaps this is one of the big causes of brain drain?
That's why I have friends graduated overseas come back Malaysia rather get posted to countries like Thailand and Singapore to work in MNCs.There they are more appreciated and paid accordingly to their qualifications.

Over here our gahmen insists that certain percentage of staffs in MNCs must be of local grads, those people who work there think that they are no difference than you and summore think they should be getting better pay.

The local grads can't demand this when they are applying for jobs in Singapore, HK elsewhere but the opposite(sell themselves lower) because their local degrees are not recognised there instead.

This post has been edited by thechetticompany: Jan 5 2009, 12:43 AM
kaiserwulf
post Jan 5 2009, 12:21 AM

Regular
1,110 posts

Yeah, I plan to get my MBA after 3 years working experience. My friend from a wealthy family has started MBA with an Aussie uni and a look at their course materials and how they run the program left me very impressed.

HR wise in Msia it may be ranked the same: for local and foreign MBA. Quality wise and amount of things learned, you can know who comes out far ahead.
arthurlwf
post Jan 5 2009, 12:48 AM

Look at all my stars!!
2,546 posts

If you have extra $$$ to spare, then go ahead to study MBA
If you want to gain extra knowledge, then go ahead to study MBA
If you're thinking of getting extra huge pay with MBA, then better think twice... LOL ... ahem...unless you go for Phd...
deodorant
post Jan 5 2009, 12:58 AM

5,691 posts

QUOTE(tishaban @ Jan 4 2009, 10:23 PM)
Most full time MBA graduates from the top schools are recruited straight after graduation so they're not getting a pay increase from the same company.

I'm going on the assumption that TS isn't graduating from Harvard or Insead or MBS tongue.gif

But in any case I still stand by my statement that even if you do have an MBA, most Malaysian companies won't specifically give you a higher pay scale/range just because of it. The first company I worked for had MBA people doing officer-level stuff at rm2k+ per month.
shadow111
post Jan 5 2009, 06:59 AM

Look at all my stars!!
3,137 posts

QUOTE(thechetticompany @ Jan 5 2009, 12:07 AM)
Perhaps this is one of the big causes of brain drain?
That's why I have friends graduated overseas come back Malaysia rather get posted to countries like Thailand and Singapore to work in MNCs.There they are more appreciated and paid accordingly to their qualifications.

Over here our gahmen insists that certain percentage of staffs in MNCs must be of local grads, those people who work there think that they are no difference than you and summore think they should be getting better pay.

The local grads can't demand this when they are applying for jobs in Singapore, HK elsewhere but the opposite(sell themselves lower) because their local degrees are not recognised there instead.
what you say is true.. tht's why many professional prefer to work oversea rather than working back here...
i do have few frens who study in Australia and get the PR there..
Txi
post Jan 5 2009, 10:17 AM

On my way
592 posts

Insead is overrated lah but not harvard
Koo_Hei
post Jan 5 2009, 12:02 PM

Casual
373 posts

Any MBA holders that earns less than 12k per month should consider for another job immediately. I believe they do study about it before back in the University, paying a large sum of money for education fee to a low income pay is definitely a no-no deal.
robertngo
post Jan 5 2009, 12:15 PM

Look at all my stars!!
4,027 posts

QUOTE(Koo_Hei @ Jan 5 2009, 12:02 PM)
Any MBA holders that earns less than 12k per month should consider for another job immediately. I believe they do study about it before back in the University, paying a large sum of money for education fee to a low income pay is definitely a no-no deal.
this is Malaysia, people pay 100k+ for a Degree education but come bank get RM 2000+ salary and the employer still think they are too demanding for high salary.

For MBA education oversea i will say go for the top school in FT ranking if you want good education and good pay for the money you pay. If you want to stay in Malaysia it will likely be money down the drain. go for the cheapest one.

This post has been edited by robertngo: Jan 5 2009, 12:20 PM
Haihzz
post Jan 5 2009, 12:21 PM

On my way
511 posts

MBA won't bring alot of increment as mention by fellow Forumers, they pay for position not qualification, getting a job where MBA might be required, might get you your required salary number else. no..position is what counts
yehlai
post Jan 5 2009, 12:48 PM

tree lover
4,492 posts

Break even point for 120k at extra 300/month? Are you kidding me ?
MBA is a long term investment, you might can't see its value when you're in junior post. But when you're climbing to the Managerial post, MBA tag will give you a good lift.
Extra 300/month is not forever, you've gained up working experice, the MBA qualification in your resume definitely will grant you better 'demand power'

QUOTE(Haihzz @ Jan 5 2009, 12:21 PM)
MBA won't bring alot of increment as mention by fellow Forumers, they pay for position not qualification, getting a job where MBA might be required, might get you your required salary number else. no..position is what counts
My friend a MBA holder, able to get senior exec. post in a top local bank after he grad. Which might took a degree holder 1-2 year+ to reach there.

This post has been edited by yehlai: Jan 5 2009, 01:23 PM
shadow111
post Jan 5 2009, 01:08 PM

Look at all my stars!!
3,137 posts

LOL.. i dun think u can get 12k pay per month even if u have phd... it's too exaggerating to demand 12k even if u have an MBA from oversea...

chgchksg128
post Jan 5 2009, 04:27 PM

Regular
1,002 posts

Except for knowledge, no point to spend a huge sum of money for MBA.
If u do plan to work oversea, choose a top rank (if u qualified) MBA.
A local MBA is mostly for a better promotion opportunity..or for past time. Also for gaining knowledge.

Txi
post Jan 5 2009, 07:35 PM

On my way
592 posts

MBS harvard can't demand 12k ? i don't think so , they would be barking at your door.
deodorant
post Jan 5 2009, 08:25 PM

5,691 posts

QUOTE(Txi @ Jan 5 2009, 07:35 PM)
MBS harvard can't demand 12k ? i don't think so , they would be barking at your door.
Anyone who graduates from Harvard and comes back to Malaysia to work is an idiot and deserves the low pay that Malaysian companies give biggrin.gif
Txi
post Jan 5 2009, 08:35 PM

On my way
592 posts

you'll be surprised there are a few and they are earning big
shadow111
post Jan 5 2009, 10:00 PM

Look at all my stars!!
3,137 posts

QUOTE(Txi @ Jan 5 2009, 08:35 PM)
r u one of them? drool.gif
if those from harvard, i guess they can demand such high pay..
but if juz a MBA from normal oversea Uni, i dun think u can demand such pay..
seantang
post Jan 5 2009, 10:02 PM

With Adult Supervision Only
6,624 posts

Very few, if any, companies pay you more simply because you have a MBA.

Most companies however will readily pay more for a person who's ambitious, driven and a proven track record of performance and/or learning. And when you're young with few years of experience - a MBA (when paired with a reasonable job history, solid education and good communication skills) is extremely convincing proof of a potential strong performer. At the very least, the candidate with an MBA shows that he has the drive to outshine his peers.

And for non-finance/business professionals, a mid-career MBA is widely accepted proof of the motivation and enthusiasm of an engineer or scientist etc for management ambitions & responsibilities.
[kewl]boy
post Jan 5 2009, 10:15 PM

Getting Started
66 posts

QUOTE(yehlai @ Jan 5 2009, 12:48 PM)
My friend a MBA holder, able to get senior exec. post in a top local bank after he grad. Which might took a degree holder 1-2 year+ to reach there.
You pay 100k+ extra for MBA to only advance 1-2 years earlier than a degree holder, is it worth?
Within that 2 years, the degree holder might already gained more valuable working experiences.
I'm not saying that MBA is not worth, but not right after you graduate coz it won't do much good unless you're freaking rich and you don't mind.
seantang
post Jan 5 2009, 11:30 PM

6,624 posts

QUOTE([kewl�)
boy,Jan 5 2009, 10:15 PM]You pay 100k+ extra for MBA to only advance 1-2 years earlier than a degree holder, is it worth? Within that 2 years, the degree holder might already gained more valuable working experiences. I'm not saying that MBA is not worth, but not right after you graduate coz it won't do much good unless you're freaking rich and you don't mind.
Best MBA for a person in the part of their early career is a part time one. You don't sacrifice your work experience and you still get a MBA after 3 or 4 years. If you're able to get steady promotions in a full time job and excel at your part time MBA as well... any employer will snap you up as you've proven that you can far outperform your peers by doing both when many of them can't cope with just one.

This post has been edited by seantang: Jan 5 2009, 11:35 PM
attahun
post Jan 6 2009, 09:30 AM

On my way
593 posts

i think in Malaysia where it is still developing, people here recognize the work done or experience more than the piece of paper. The qualification is just a pre-requirement to 'apply' for a job, but what u actually do and having the experience actually counts more.

Initially an MBA is not gonna give much increase to ur salary, but give a few months or i'd say 1 year tops, if u show enough 'value' to your work which corresponds to your education qualification, i'd say the MBA holder is stupid if he stays at the same company without any increase despite the performance and 'upgrade' shown...surely he deserves more..

most companies in Malaysia do tend to take advantage of workers, i'd say this is due to oversupply of workforce, nevertheless the staff should know better than to stay for a low salary. It all is supply and demand for the company.

Koo_Hei
post Jan 6 2009, 10:03 AM

Casual
373 posts

QUOTE(shadow111 @ Jan 5 2009, 01:08 PM)
LOL.. i dun think u can get 12k pay per month even if u have phd... it's too exaggerating to demand 12k even if u have an MBA from oversea...
QUOTE(shadow111 @ Jan 5 2009, 10:00 PM)
r u one of them?  drool.gif
Well I don't know about you. She is not from Harvard but holds MBA. Currently earning 13k the last I heard. Even a fresh grad from oversea who doesn't have MBA starts with 4k salary. I don't know why you guys haven't heard or seen any of it before.

Of course there is underpay fresh grad out there. Everyone has a different path.
shadow111
post Jan 6 2009, 10:37 AM

Look at all my stars!!
3,137 posts

QUOTE(Koo_Hei @ Jan 6 2009, 10:03 AM)
Well I don't know about you. She is not from Harvard but holds MBA. Currently earning 13k the last I heard. Even a fresh grad from oversea who doesn't have MBA starts with 4k salary. I don't know why you guys haven't heard or seen any of it before.

Of course there is underpay fresh grad out there. Everyone has a different path.
I have been working in few MNC company before, but never heard that fresh oversea grad getting 4k salary here.. blush.gif
can you share with us which company paying so high? thanks.
Txi
post Jan 6 2009, 11:25 AM

On my way
592 posts

QUOTE(shadow111 @ Jan 5 2009, 11:00 PM)
r u one of them?  drool.gif
Not at all , just an ordinary guy with some real inside info.

If I was a HvMBA , I think would be in HK as a senior partner in a hedge fund or something.

It depends what you mean by ' normal ' also , most locals don't know how to choose strategic course which aid their careers as the access to quality inside info is not available to them til now that is wink.gif

So yes I agree from the pov that most people prolly choose the wrong course at right U and vice versa.

What MBA 12+ , if you have a decent MBA + exp + you know what you are doing , in I-banking you can get 30+ in your late 30's to 40's .

deodorant
post Jan 6 2009, 11:33 AM

5,691 posts

QUOTE(Txi @ Jan 5 2009, 08:35 PM)
Don't get me wrong, I'm sure a Harvard MBA graduate will earn significantly higher than the average MBA/non-MBA person here. But I still maintain that they are idiots for coming back to M'sia for a variety of non-monetary reasons.

Unless it's for things like, family, etc, then it's a different story.
Gary1981
post Jan 6 2009, 12:25 PM

Regular
1,610 posts

MBA will not sudden blink changes with your career paycheck. But again i said is the "basic" & fundamental skill that you opts from MBA will be able to enhance individual competency along you career path.

Its about how well you capable to utilise MBA into you career. Education level does make significant difference in you career climbing. It relation to how far you able to climb up the corporate ladder with the education that you opt.

Today u grad as a degree(fresh) may has the same paycheck with a diploma holder(5 years exp), but here we look into how far individual capable to climb up the corporate ladder!!

Txi
post Jan 6 2009, 01:20 PM

On my way
592 posts

QUOTE(deodorant @ Jan 6 2009, 12:33 PM)

Unless it's for things like, family, etc, then it's a different story.
you just answer your own question . Some Malaysians are spoilt kids shakehead.gif

also bear in mind my answers relate more to I-banking than anything else.

It is a fact in UK / US that a top MBA doubles your entry pay level . in Ldn it was something like GBP 80-100k per annum + bonus , of occurs that is a world away and before the crash.
DevilTeeth
post Jan 6 2009, 09:00 PM

On my way
621 posts

QUOTE(Koo_Hei @ Jan 6 2009, 10:03 AM)

Wow...the last time i heard only those operate in black market can earn that much. hmm.gif
stevenek3
post Jan 7 2009, 10:58 AM

Getting Started
291 posts

To me if im the employer, Mba, PHD, it doesnt really matter, performance matters. ive seen some people with overseas degree, MBA but couldnt converse fluently in english at all during interview, whats the point?

sweet_pez
post Jan 7 2009, 11:10 AM

何を見ているの
Group Icon
Staff
4,242 posts

QUOTE(stevenek3 @ Jan 7 2009, 10:58 AM)
To me if im the employer, Mba, PHD, it doesnt really matter, performance matters. ive seen some people with overseas degree, MBA but couldnt converse fluently in english at all during interview, whats the point?
yes... English could be a potential communication problem. I'm not sure abt MBA coz i haven't taken mine, but degree - the marking system is such that they mark for contents, not your english. As long as the coordinator is able to comprehend what the student is trying to say in his/her exam/assignments, marks will be given. there is no discrimination in the English.

Yet we demand freh grads with higher quality, it's understandable.

Overseas are popular with 'buying' certs. i think this topic used to be a headline in Star paper few backs back right? i still remember.
stevenek3
post Jan 7 2009, 11:25 AM

Getting Started
291 posts

QUOTE(sweet_pez @ Jan 7 2009, 11:10 AM)
yes... English could be a potential communication problem. I'm not sure abt MBA coz i haven't taken mine, but degree - the marking system is such that they mark for contents, not your english. As long as the coordinator is able to comprehend what the student is trying to say in his/her exam/assignments, marks will be given. there is no discrimination in the English.

Yet we demand freh grads with higher quality, it's understandable.

Overseas are popular with 'buying' certs. i think this topic used to be a headline in Star paper few backs back right? i still remember.
i think you are refering to the uni system in Malaysia, in overseas eg, Australia for certain uni, communication skills do contribute to your marks and not just written skills.

An employer should only raise the salary alongside with their workers contribution. How much difference in contribution can one provide from degree to post grad eg MBA ?

SUSalexcky
post Jan 8 2009, 11:30 PM

business Sifu
842 posts

currently i study in a local uni twin with aus uni..i do agree mba graduate wont get high pay after graduate.
bt if to get promote, definite mba holder has the priority.

hope to work overseas to gain more exp after grad thumbup.gif

QUOTE(stevenek3 @ Jan 7 2009, 11:25 AM)
i think you are refering to the uni system in Malaysia, in overseas eg, Australia for certain uni, communication skills do contribute to your marks and not just written skills.

An employer should only raise the salary alongside with their workers contribution. How much difference in contribution can one provide from degree to post grad eg MBA ?
suns8630
post Jan 8 2009, 11:40 PM

Regular
1,104 posts

What is the big deal of Having this MBA .. and what is the point of this MBA ... when you are seeking your 1st JOB....

for what i know ... a proper MBA is only a title given to a working adult ( minimum 4 years of senior level expriences in the field ) and one has to be at least 33 yrs of age ...that is the minimum qualification one has to had b4 taking up this MBA course

so ... whom ever is asking this question ... ask how qualify are you 1st ..
megatron007
post Jan 8 2009, 11:54 PM

Look at all my stars!!
4,000 posts

QUOTE(Haihzz @ Jan 5 2009, 12:21 PM)
yes.. if just wanto study for the sick of more $$

why no do sales terus... do more , more $ masuk...simple aje

form 5 also can earn 20-30k a month! thumbup.gif

Added on January 8, 2009, 11:55 pm
QUOTE(deodorant @ Jan 5 2009, 08:25 PM)
Anyone who graduates from Harvard and comes back to Malaysia to work is an idiot and deserves the low pay that Malaysian companies give biggrin.gif
rclxm9.gif thumbup.gif

Added on January 8, 2009, 11:56 pm
good ..tomoro my co. alot ppl can resign biggrin.gif rclxms.gif tongue.gif

This post has been edited by megatron007: Jan 8 2009, 11:56 PM
seantang
post Jan 9 2009, 12:04 AM

6,624 posts

QUOTE(megatron007 @ Jan 8 2009, 11:54 PM)
form 5 also can earn 20-30k a month!  thumbup.gif
It's not about whether you can or not (ie. possible or not). It's a matter of how likely or how common.

Even a paralysed man who cannot speak nor do anything for himself can earn millions of dollars. But in the whole world, there's probably only one of this type of supremely extraordinary person.

Why stop at Form 5? Form 1 also can earn 20-30K a month lah. Never study and don't know how to read and write also can lah. Jeez.

SUSSPS
post Jan 9 2009, 08:34 AM

Regular
1,127 posts

QUOTE(seantang @ Jan 9 2009, 12:04 AM)
It's not about whether you can or not (ie. possible or not). It's a matter of how likely or how common.

Even a paralysed man who cannot speak nor do anything for himself can earn millions of dollars. But in the whole world, there's probably only one of this type of supremely extraordinary person.

Why stop at Form 5? Form 1 also can earn 20-30K a month lah. Never study and don't know how to read and write also can lah. Jeez.
Which is why I get irritated with the morons in the Jobs & Careers section who continually cite examples of lowly educated folks who earn big bucks or those who do so at a very young age and actually EXPECT this to be achievable by any ali, ah kow and ramasamy in Malaysia.

The meaning of the word EXCEPTION is alien to such retards.
shadow111
post Jan 9 2009, 08:47 AM

Look at all my stars!!
3,137 posts

QUOTE(SPS @ Jan 9 2009, 08:34 AM)
Which is why I get irritated with the morons in the Jobs & Careers section who continually cite examples of lowly educated folks who earn big bucks or those who do so at a very young age and actually EXPECT this to be achievable by any ali, ah kow and ramasamy in Malaysia.

The meaning of the word EXCEPTION is alien to such retards.
everyone in malaysia will become rich ppl as they will be earning 20-30k a month.. LOL.

i have an uncle who used to be poor last time and didn't study till very high so he only work as a kuli..
but then, due to his hard work, he manage to open up his own hardware store.. now, he hv few hardware shop around malaysia and already retired and taken over by his son..

without education and with hardwork, one can be successful in their life.. but then, how many ppl can achieve this? even if you hard hardworking, it doesn't means you can be successful, etc..
even if you do sales.. you think all the salesman can earn so much?

Really agree with SPS that many ppl dun understand the word EXCEPTION.. wink.gif
Xanny
post Jan 9 2009, 08:48 AM

Getting Started
155 posts

i think there's a different between a MBA holder and non MBA kwa....i have a fren that got his degree then terus do MBA, after that got a job at RM3k (first job upon graduation)...
shadow111
post Jan 9 2009, 08:58 AM

Look at all my stars!!
3,137 posts

QUOTE(Xanny @ Jan 9 2009, 08:48 AM)
i think there's a different between a MBA holder and non MBA kwa....i have a fren that got his degree then terus do MBA, after that got a job at RM3k (first job upon graduation)...
depends.. but many MNC company will pay a bit higher for those with master degree...
my ex-company pay RM300 extra if you have master...
Gary1981
post Jan 9 2009, 10:35 AM

Regular
1,610 posts

There is no any marginal or reference for a paycheck of an MBA graduates. It all depends individual bargaining power & skills. The most important is their relevant career individual opt too.
Txi
post Jan 9 2009, 10:44 AM

On my way
592 posts

For IB a good MBA , then go / stay overseas.

Locally you don't need a MBA to get in , you just have to know what to do.
pangping1510
post Jan 9 2009, 12:38 PM

Regular
1,007 posts

MBA is abit overqualified in msia
keelim
post Jan 9 2009, 12:56 PM

Enthusiast
920 posts

C'mon stop bashing the MBA holders. They deserve some credit on their continuing quest of seeking knowledge. From my perspective, one should accumulate a certain amount of experience before opting for MBA. Without exposure to the Rat Race in the competitive globalization, one wouldnt appreciate the value of an MBA, so do their employers. Synergy between MBA and salary will only be bridged by years of working experience.

On a side note, the EXTRAORDINARY cases where ali, ah kow or ramasamy becoming a millionaire without knowledge is applicable N years ago where N approaches 50. Those days, you must have connection, oppurtunity and luck (still applicable now) to reach the golden platform. In this centuary, to become a successful entrepreneur you need to be leveraged. Thus you need loans from Banks. Needless to say, Banks will agree to borrow when they are confident in your level of management which education proves helpful, Initialliy.

All in all, lets rest the case that EXCEPTION do exist because it is almost subjective to the core. But one thing for sure, statistics will show the odds of failing is greater than succeeding. Rest assure, education is profound key to success smile.gif.

This post has been edited by keelim: Jan 9 2009, 01:03 PM
shadow111
post Jan 9 2009, 01:03 PM

Look at all my stars!!
3,137 posts

QUOTE(keelim @ Jan 9 2009, 12:56 PM)
C'mon stop bashing the MBA holders. They deserve some credit on their continuing quest of seeking knowledge. From my perspective, one should accumulate a certain amount of experience before opting for MBA. Without exposure to the Rat Race in the competitive globalization, one wouldnt appreciate the value of an MBA, so do their employers.

On a side note, the EXTRAORDINARY cases where ali, ah kow or ramasamy becoming a millionaire without knowledge is applicable N years ago where N approaches 50. Those days, you must have connection, oppurtunity and luck (still applicable now) to reach the golden platform. In this centuary, to become a successful entrepreneur you need to be leveraged. Thus you need loans from Banks. Needless to say, Banks will agree to borrow when they are confident in your level of management which education proves helpful,  Initialliy.

All in all, lets rest the case that EXCEPTION do exist because it is almost subjective to the core. But one thing for sure, statistics will show the odds of failing is greater than succeeding. Rest assure, education is profound key to success smile.gif.
Strongly agree with you on this.. thumb up for u.. thumbup.gif
DarReNz
post Jan 9 2009, 01:20 PM

Look at all my stars!!
7,496 posts

with MBA get only rm 300 more, with an IT cert also can get the same.
alsha7
post Aug 7 2009, 12:17 PM

35 posts

Hi guys, just my 2 cents..

MBA will give you more knowledge...open up ur mind in many things that you never though of...the knowledge is really great..and i feel i know something now about money, meet people (important people which can help u in future..networking) and make more friends from dif background..

I am from Engineering...MBA have helped me in many ways...

and i think it might help you all too..

Dont think about money directly....you will get it indirectly...and the knowledge itself is worth millions...and might help you make a better decision in future...to save you more money than you have invested.

will be finishing my MBA next March... ;P
deodorant
post Aug 7 2009, 01:58 PM

5,691 posts

Firstly, congrats on the 6month old thread necro. Secondly, how are you claiming that your "MBA has helped you in many ways," when you aren't actually due to finish it for another half a year?

If you're talking about applying the concepts to your work, well, you could probably just read the 12-hour MBA Program and achieve the same thing tongue.gif

Anyway MBA's are only as useful as the person holding them. I've had a colleague with an MBA from UPM (supposedly one of Msia's higher ranked business schools), and she was pretty rubbish in her job.
sweet_pez
post Aug 7 2009, 02:30 PM

何を見ているの
Group Icon
Staff
4,242 posts

Few of you pointed out some pretty good points: it's a different millennium and stop dreaming coz the cases doesn't apply to everyone.

Thing is, if you have MBA it might help in writing your portfolio/ profile in future (but that doesn't mean Degree doesn't help) if you happen to work for large organizations like MNC/ public listed company. When it comes to entry level, I believe the pay is only slightly higher than degree holder. It doesn't matter MBA or not, in workforce you're required to start from entry level in any job.

When you take your MBA, do understand your 'intention' for taking it. Advancement of career? Market requirement/ demand? Self improvement? Money?

I know of sum ppl who took MBA juz coz they didn't know what to do after their degree... so they continued to study without any direction.

lee9171
post Aug 10 2009, 09:44 PM

Getting Started
120 posts

QUOTE(sweet_pez @ Aug 7 2009, 02:30 PM)
Few of you pointed out some pretty good points: it's a different millennium and stop dreaming coz the cases doesn't apply to everyone.

Thing is, if you have MBA it might help in writing your portfolio/ profile in future (but that doesn't mean Degree doesn't help) if you happen to work for large organizations like MNC/ public listed company. When it comes to entry level, I believe the pay is only slightly higher than degree holder. It doesn't matter MBA or not, in workforce you're required to start from entry level in any job.

When you take your MBA, do understand your 'intention' for taking it. Advancement of career? Market requirement/ demand? Self improvement? Money?

I know of sum ppl who took MBA juz coz they didn't know what to do after their degree... so they continued to study without any direction.
I'm agree with you because for entry level degree is more than enough, what I suggest is doing part time MBA/Master while working will bring more benefit to you. While u getting ur working experience and u upgrading your qualification, you will have Master and wokring experience at the same time, no problem for u to get better pay.

of coz there are someone who can get very high pay after Degree-Master but not many, and very few....

SUSbalthauser
post Aug 10 2009, 09:50 PM

Enthusiast
725 posts

QUOTE(sweet_pez @ Aug 7 2009, 02:30 PM)

Not some, mostly are.
alsha7
post Aug 16 2009, 06:42 PM

35 posts

QUOTE(deodorant @ Aug 7 2009, 01:58 PM)
Firstly, congrats on the 6month old thread necro. Secondly, how are you claiming that your "MBA has helped you in many ways," when you aren't actually due to finish it for another half a year?

If you're talking about applying the concepts to your work, well, you could probably just read the 12-hour MBA Program and achieve the same thing tongue.gif

Anyway MBA's are only as useful as the person holding them. I've had a colleague with an MBA from UPM (supposedly one of Msia's higher ranked business schools), and she was pretty rubbish in her job.
To answer your question..how it have helped me...

One of them is networking...i get to meet a lot of people in big position...
And the knowledge...and how you view thing differently is important too...

If you read a book...yes, you can also get knowledge..but not contacts...

Yes..i totally agree with you, it depends on who is holding it...if you have low self confidence..cant speak fluent English...etc...even if you have PhD got problem later...

Haven't grad yet, but already have offers coming in...

chgchksg128
post Aug 16 2009, 11:38 PM

Regular
1,002 posts

@deodorant
When u said ur colleague failed to live up the expectation as a MBA holders, I think it is the UPM fail to filter out those junk student like Harvard...
U can not expect UPM (or any other MBA courses in malaysia) to guarantee a quality of their grads unfortunately. It all depends on the dedication of the students.
If UPM is filter out junk, and only take in those brilliant student, like HBS do, UPM may have to enrol only 20 students, they have to charge you 200k instead of 20k and of course hired those star prof

This post has been edited by chgchksg128: Aug 16 2009, 11:40 PM
robertngo
post Aug 17 2009, 12:43 AM

Look at all my stars!!
4,027 posts

instead of spending all the money to get into on of the local MBA program, how about spend a few hour every week to go through so of the free course material from world top business school? like MIT opencourse and all those top uni on itunes university

http://ocw.mit.edu/OcwWeb/Sloan-School-of-...ement/index.htm

http://www.apple.com/education/mobile-learning/
jaycolaz86
post Aug 17 2009, 11:23 PM

8 posts

if planning to take mba and hoping for the little increment, why not continue to phd level and become a lecturer in a reputable uni confirm can earn 5 digit salary....better than work in corporate sector.
cameltoe
post Aug 17 2009, 11:26 PM

Getting Started
293 posts

Like many have said, MBA from where?

Work experience? Exposure? Which industry are you from?
Which department is your company going to throw you to?

HaoYuan
post Sep 24 2011, 07:41 PM

Kai Qi Baby
1,401 posts

QUOTE(yehlai @ Jan 5 2009, 12:48 PM)
Break even point for 120k at extra 300/month? Are you kidding me ?
MBA is a long term investment, you might can't see its value when you're in junior post. But when you're climbing to the Managerial post, MBA tag will give you a good lift. 
Extra 300/month is not forever, you've gained up working experice, the MBA qualification in your resume definitely will grant you better 'demand power'
i totally agreed with you. MBA will benefit you in long term and most of the headhunt company prefer MBA. MBA also makes u meet the requirement for DBA. the demand for MBA holder is increasing as degree holder are too much nowadays.. go for MBA in order to differentiate yourself from the others and learn from the course
Gary1981
post Sep 25 2011, 08:54 AM

Regular
1,610 posts

Ppl tends to think short term because they don't even have the experience journey of MBA course and simply give judgement base on observation and assumption. I realised ppl tend to claim MBA is not applicable in working world is themselves can't even opt for one and yet claimed MBA is irrelevant.

MBA is just a cert similar to ur degree, diploma or perhps SPM. It act as a stepping stone for ur career growth in future.
iastate
post Sep 25 2011, 09:42 AM

On my way
599 posts

Like many others have mentioned, MBA won't help you much in the short term. If you are an engineer before MBA, you will still be an engineer after MBA without pay raise whatsoever. However, MBA can come into play when your company needs to fill in a managerial position. MBA will be a big selling point.
yeahs4.1
post Sep 25 2011, 10:13 AM

Audio Freako
2,491 posts

QUOTE(chgchksg128 @ Aug 16 2009, 11:38 PM)
@deodorant
When u said ur colleague failed to live up the expectation as a MBA holders, I think it is the UPM fail to filter out those junk student like Harvard...
U can not expect UPM (or any other MBA courses in malaysia) to guarantee a quality of their grads unfortunately. It all depends on the dedication of the students.
If UPM is filter out junk, and only take in those brilliant student, like HBS do, UPM may have to enrol only 20 students, they have to charge you 200k instead of 20k and of course hired those star prof
I beg to differ. The real reason should be because UPM itself is not even qualified to provide a decent MBA course. Those prestigious business school around the world come with extremely expensive school fees for a lot of reasons (exclusivity aside). The course structure, exposure are definitely a few of the main selling points here. Some even include a internship placement in world renowned companies, Fortune 500, top IB's and so on.

As for the issue regarding quality control of MBA students, that's another funny thing about MBA programs in Malaysia. I've once compared the minimum requirement of MBA program in certain decent business school(both local and oversea), and I found out that in Malaysia: Basically ANYONE that has a degree can just enroll into most of the MBA program, with or WITHOUT relevant working experience. Heck, I don't even see any MBA program in malaysia that requires minimum GMAT score of 600/800 to be at least qualified for MBA course enrollment. Havard, INSEAD, Wharton, LSE, some of them even go to the extend of requiring GMAT score at least 760/800 to be able to be qualified. My point here is GMAT is not actually THAT difficult, but it serves at the most basic filter and provide some basics and fundamental of management.

As the title of MBA itself suggests, does it make sense to you for a fresh graduate to enroll into a MBA program right after graduation? I've had one colleague last time working as a mere drafter. She took part-time MBA in some local university and all she did was probably online lecture, some coursework based assignment, and occasionally attend some lectures during weekends. She didn't even know what is a GMAT and when she said "GMAT or not doesn't matter lah, as long as I finish every coursework, pass the paper test, get the cert, then I can get MBA already". I was speechless. I guess the MBA is just like another MSc/master program that solely intended for salary increment and slightly positive career advancement.

Maybe these are the reasons why MBA is 'cheap' and not well recognized by the employers in Malaysia.

p/s: Anyway, I heard that Boston Consulting Group in Malaysia only hires MBA graduates from Harvard and INSEAD, and the starting pay is about 10k for fresh. Not sure how that works out for them.

This post has been edited by yeahs4.1: Sep 25 2011, 10:17 AM
SUSalaskanbunny
post Sep 25 2011, 10:53 AM

Foodie
4,283 posts

QUOTE(yeahs4.1 @ Sep 25 2011, 10:13 AM)
p/s: Anyway, I heard that Boston Consulting Group in Malaysia only hires MBA graduates from Harvard and INSEAD, and the starting pay is about 10k for fresh. Not sure how that works out for them.
if i graduated from harvard or insead with a mba... i surely wouldnt take up the job for rm10k
seantang
post Sep 25 2011, 10:58 AM

6,624 posts

QUOTE(alaskanbunny @ Sep 25 2011, 10:53 AM)
if i graduated from harvard or insead with a mba... i surely wouldnt take up the job for rm10k
I think many, if not most, Harvard MBA holders were already earning more than 10K a month before they started their MBAs.

SUSalaskanbunny
post Sep 25 2011, 11:02 AM

Foodie
4,283 posts

QUOTE(seantang @ Sep 25 2011, 10:58 AM)
I think many, if not most, Harvard MBA holders were already earning more than 10K a month before they started their MBAs.
that's true... sorry, but i was referring to his comments that refers to freshies, misunderstanding
seantang
post Sep 25 2011, 11:07 AM

6,624 posts

QUOTE(alaskanbunny @ Sep 25 2011, 11:02 AM)
that's true... sorry, but i was referring to his comments that refers to freshies, misunderstanding
Does Harvard take MBA candidates who have no working experience?

yeahs4.1
post Sep 25 2011, 11:07 AM

Audio Freako
2,491 posts

QUOTE(alaskanbunny @ Sep 25 2011, 10:53 AM)
That's why I said sweat.gif :

Added on September 25, 2011, 11:09 am
QUOTE(seantang @ Sep 25 2011, 11:07 AM)
Maybe they do if you donate 1 block of teaching building in Harvard, or if you're a prince from UAE that owns several oil wells.

This post has been edited by yeahs4.1: Sep 25 2011, 11:09 AM
keelim
post Sep 25 2011, 11:18 AM

Enthusiast
920 posts

I was working on an investment framework with BCG and from our casual acquaintance, hardly anyone graduated from Harvard. Mostly mbas from insead and Chicago booth.

Well I have no intention to rank the business
Schools into different buckets. Merely, good business schools take good students to ensure their grads live up to the prestige of the school. It's a marketing strategy of goodwill in accounting terms. On a smaller scale, is how tuition industry evolves. Good teacher takes good students and ensures their repo is maintained if not lifted.
SUSalaskanbunny
post Sep 25 2011, 02:44 PM

Foodie
4,283 posts

QUOTE(seantang @ Sep 25 2011, 11:07 AM)
yeaps, they do... i believe

QUOTE(yeahs4.1 @ Sep 25 2011, 11:07 AM)
That's why I said sweat.gif :
emphasizing it only laugh.gif

QUOTE(keelim @ Sep 25 2011, 11:18 AM)
I was working on an investment framework with BCG and from our casual acquaintance, hardly anyone graduated from Harvard. Mostly mbas from insead and Chicago booth.
probably because they are from the foreign campuses?
junobabel
post Sep 26 2011, 12:47 AM

13 posts

QUOTE(alaskanbunny @ Sep 25 2011, 02:44 PM)
yeaps, they do... i believe
I doubt so, I believe all the prestigious ones would expect some work experience, unlike those that are unheard of. taken from HBS website:

"The HBS MBA Program is designed for students who have full-time work experience before matriculation. College seniors are encouraged to apply in the expectation that they will be offered "deferred admission", i.e. an offer of admission to a future class conditional upon acquiring full-time work experience, as a positive outcome. It is important for candidates to assess their own readiness when deciding to apply: there is no universal "right" time."

YH90
post Sep 26 2011, 12:58 AM

On my way
606 posts

QUOTE(junobabel @ Sep 26 2011, 12:47 AM)
I doubt so, I believe all the prestigious ones would expect some work experience, unlike those that are unheard of. taken from HBS website:

"The HBS MBA Program is designed for students who have full-time work experience before matriculation. College seniors are encouraged to apply in the expectation that they will be offered "deferred admission", i.e. an offer of admission to a future class conditional upon acquiring full-time work experience, as a positive outcome. It is important for candidates to assess their own readiness when deciding to apply: there is no universal "right" time."
HBS and Stanford GSB actually prefers young bloods than others. Throughout my experience in "stalking" these schools, I have seen many without working experience that have entered these schools. They're GMAT's are superb, combined with a track record of leadership roles as well as community involvement, not to mention letter of recommendation from influential political figures.

Some even worked at the Whitehouse straight after graduation. There was one who obtained his MBA at HBS during his 1st year degree at Harvard. Age does not matter much in US IMO, that is why their program is 2 years instead of the Europe's 1 year.
HaoYuan
post Oct 10 2011, 01:52 PM

Kai Qi Baby
1,401 posts

In conclusion, if u got money, just go for MBA, dun hesitate already, do what u think u need to do now, not to regret after that. Qualification is always a good thing...do remember that
sparda
post Oct 10 2011, 02:05 PM

Getting Started
244 posts

I talked with an older gentleman who is holding an MBA and has a fairly high position in the corporate world.

His perception on the matter is that for Malaysia, an MBA only matters when you reach a certain level in the corporate world, normally attained after 30 years of age. Before that it would not make much difference. The advantage it confers is that at a higher level, it makes moving up easier as the added prestige is there.

So for fresh grads, it wouldn't have any point at all.
HaoYuan
post Oct 12 2011, 10:10 AM

Kai Qi Baby
1,401 posts

QUOTE(sparda @ Oct 10 2011, 02:05 PM)
I talked with an older gentleman who is holding an MBA and has a fairly high position in the corporate world.

His perception on the matter is that for Malaysia, an MBA only matters when you reach a certain level in the corporate world, normally attained after 30 years of age. Before that it would not make much difference. The advantage it confers is that at a higher level, it makes moving up easier as the added prestige is there.

So for fresh grads, it wouldn't have any point at all.
But for my opinion it is better u take MBA when u are young, as u are more motivated to study. When u get old, u wont got such a motivation to study any more
PiggyAikz
post Oct 12 2011, 10:14 AM

Getting Started
193 posts

MBA are very useful if one is looking to further expand ones business knowledge and network... not all organizations would value MBAs equally and not all MBAs are equal as well.

I guess MBAs would be handy at a later stage in life when one is looking to improve oneself better. For instance, one is in mid management level in an MNC and looking for an opportunity to break into the senior management level. Management consulting firms have high regards for MBAs they are probably the most appreciative of the value of ones MBA.

In Malaysia itself we have a couple of global consulting firms. and NO they do not only accept MBAs. They do accept non-MBAs. Usually if one joins with MBA they usually join as a Consultant rather than Business Analyst level. Starting pay for Business Analyst on average is +- RM10k.
digitalz
post Oct 12 2011, 10:28 AM

The only thing we have to fear is fear itself.
2,030 posts

The main problem isn't for the ones already working, the main problem comes from the freshies that jumps straight into MBA without working for experience beforehand.

Worst, when they come out from their MBA, they expect their salary to be as high as those with working experience and degree minus the MBA. Some companies do give good offers but it's rare sight. I've got few guys telling me that some of them wants to get a high starting pay and stuff without 0% of experience.

Like what PiggyAikz said, it's for a later stage. MBA isn't a early phase requirement but is more to a going up the ladder phase of requirement.
seantang
post Oct 12 2011, 01:40 PM

6,624 posts

QUOTE(PiggyAikz @ Oct 12 2011, 10:14 AM)
Usually if one joins with MBA they usually join as a Consultant rather than Business Analyst level. Starting pay for Business Analyst on average is +- RM10k.
These firms pay those kind of starting salaries to a certain 'kind of person'.

That kind of person have MBAs because they are that kind of person.

The reverse logic is not necessarily true. Having a MBA doesn't necessarily make one that kind of person.
PiggyAikz
post Oct 12 2011, 08:27 PM

Getting Started
193 posts

QUOTE(seantang @ Oct 12 2011, 04:40 PM)
These firms pay those kind of starting salaries to a certain 'kind of person'.

That kind of person have MBAs because they are that kind of person.

The reverse logic is not necessarily true. Having a MBA doesn't necessarily make one that kind of person.
Most Business Analyst are not from business schools or MBAs. Most Consultants are however some may not be as they moved up the ranks from BA. However, the bigger strategy firms encourages their Consultants to attend business school.
justin_nys
post Oct 12 2011, 10:08 PM

Regular
1,192 posts

QUOTE(HaoYuan @ Oct 12 2011, 10:10 AM)
But for my opinion it is better u take MBA when u are young, as u are more motivated to study. When u get old, u wont got such a motivation to study any more
No problem for that, but are you willing to receive the same package as those fresh graduates without MBA? Don't expect high salary with zero experience, although you have an MBA..

I agree with digitalz and PiggyAikz. MBA's value is normally seen when you're in the middle of the ladder..not at the beginning or bottom of the ladder smile.gif
Gary1981
post Oct 12 2011, 11:47 PM

Regular
1,610 posts

All said, MBA did increase one salary which its just a matter of time and experience even u are fresh grads. I just would like to encourage young gen y to take MBA if u have the desire. Whether u are fresh grad, eventually experience is an accumulative process.
tishaban
post Oct 13 2011, 12:18 AM

Look at all my stars!!
3,615 posts

QUOTE(Gary1981 @ Oct 12 2011, 11:47 PM)
All said, MBA did increase one salary which its just a matter of time and experience even u are fresh grads. I just would like to encourage young gen y to take MBA if u have the desire. Whether u are fresh grad, eventually experience is an accumulative process.
Again it depends on your networking and the b-school you go to. Natural progression is there, but for some b-school grads there is the jump to a different industry, function or geography that's made possible by their networking and their MBA. This may include a jump in salary as well, sometimes quite significant.

herlivst
post Feb 23 2012, 01:45 AM

18 posts

QUOTE(deodorant @ Jan 5 2009, 08:25 PM)
My deepest apology if im somewhat doing a necromancy on a thread...

Dato’ Prof. Dr. Ibrahim Ahmad Bajunid currently serve as Deputy Vice-Chancellor in one of the local university in Malaysia and requested to teach on Strategic Management (Vice Chancellor asking to teach >_>)
Not sure about how famous he is in malaysia since im not malaysian.

His very Phd degree was from Harvard,
he proclaimed that he came back hoping to build his country, and he offered to teach so that he could produce seeds of younger generation who will be future leader

Not sure bout how much he's being paid but i believe he would get MORE pay out there,
i guess some people have their own dream and passion which is not based on materialistic tongue.gif

*i still can't really comprehend this since i kinda 'like' money*
pikkidok
post Feb 23 2012, 06:28 PM

Getting Started
102 posts

If you wanna do an MBA, do it after you have worked 3-5 years.
If you do it straight after your first degree, it is worthless.

and dont just get an MBA. Go to a good school. there are many good MBA courses in Malaysia. Maybe Strathclyde or Nottingham.

remember, to have a bad MBA can be a liability. I rather hire someone with a good bachelor degree than one with a bad MBA.

bellaxxx
post Jul 20 2014, 01:52 PM

4 posts

If you are hoping for automatic salary increment after you finish your MBA, good luck with that!!!

For me, the benefit is intangible and hopefully long term.
Neutrals
post Jul 20 2014, 04:06 PM

Getting Started
93 posts

QUOTE(jaycolaz86 @ Aug 17 2009, 11:23 PM)
if planning to take mba and hoping for the little increment, why not continue to phd level and become a lecturer in a reputable uni confirm can earn 5 digit salary....better than work in corporate sector.
From what I know, for a reputable university in Malaysia, a PHD level fresh graduate(totally no experience) will only make around 5.5k~7k as a lecturer.

I am not sure where do you get your figures of 5 digit salary. shocking.gif
silverwave
post Jul 21 2014, 10:17 AM

Look at all my stars!!
4,050 posts

So how much should someone with lets say, 5 years working experience and a MBA expect in their next job? Perhaps a 5-10% increase?

Secondly, while jumping from one industry to another, is it easy? Most of the job advertisements that i've come across are asking for experience in that particular field with a statement, MBA preferred.
Topace111
post Jul 21 2014, 10:23 PM

Look at all my stars!!
2,102 posts

QUOTE(silverwave @ Jul 21 2014, 10:17 AM)
So how much should someone with lets say, 5 years working experience and a MBA expect in their next job? Perhaps a 5-10% increase?

Secondly, while jumping from one industry to another, is it easy? Most of the job advertisements that i've come across are asking for experience in that particular field with a statement, MBA preferred.
Depends on:
1) Your working experience:
- Reputation of company (MNC, PLC or local)
- Job responsibility and position (Senior leadership, middle management or executives)
- Job scope and dimension

2) MBA credentials: If the uni is in FT100 then you can bargain with employer based on the link below:
http://rankings.ft.com/businessschoolranki...ba-ranking-2014

(However I doubt most companies in Malaysia can afford to hire those MBA grads, perhaps top 200 QS?)
http://www.topmba.com/mba-rankings/home
silverwave
post Jul 22 2014, 01:02 PM

Look at all my stars!!
4,050 posts

QUOTE(Topace111 @ Jul 21 2014, 10:23 PM)
Depends on:
1) Your working experience:
- Reputation of company (MNC, PLC or local)
- Job responsibility and position (Senior leadership, middle management or executives)
- Job scope and dimension

2) MBA credentials: If the uni is in FT100 then you can bargain with employer based on the link below:
http://rankings.ft.com/businessschoolranki...ba-ranking-2014

(However I doubt most companies in Malaysia can afford to hire those MBA grads, perhaps top 200 QS?)
http://www.topmba.com/mba-rankings/home
Correct me if i'm wrong but it's the bigger companies that will appreciate these top schools right?

Most people out there just want to get the certificate with the cheapest cost if they just want to work in Malaysia. I feel it's so wrong.
tonny430
post Jul 22 2014, 02:52 PM

9 posts

Great News For Working Adults, Foreign Students/Expatriates and Local Students.
Have u missed your last promotion? You can’t complete your degree because of your
time constrain or financially commitment ( Work & Family pressure). Contact me to
find out more about an affordable Diploma, Degree, Master or PhD with a fast track
completion from a recognized universities in UK, USA and CANADA. Working Adults
, Foreign Students/Expatriates and Local Students are encourage to join our program.

Testimonial from a satisfied candidate :-
My name is Priya (Not real name). I enroll into Master Degree program. I was working
as HR Executive. Now i have been offered HR Assistant Manager position with 30% salary
increment from my present salary. Thank you to Mr.Tonny for helping me. Experience based
qualification is best way to upgrade working adults paper qualification.

Are you also waiting for promotion or salary increment but due to paper qualification you
are missing the chance ? Come grab this golden opportunity. Do not miss it.

Call/SMS/Whatsapp to this no : 0163835760
Email your inquiries to tonny_0430@hotmail.my

Thank you
Tonny
fuzzy
post Jul 22 2014, 05:26 PM

*pew pew pew*
6,659 posts

QUOTE(silverwave @ Jul 21 2014, 10:17 AM)

I'm on the verge of considering an Masters for next year with around 3-4 years experience and I wouldn't even consider a jump for anything less than 20%.

Jumping industries gets harder the more senior / specialised you are unless the area of specialisation you are in is easily translatable across industries.
KoChun
post Jul 22 2014, 10:45 PM

On my way
688 posts

QUOTE(silverwave @ Jul 22 2014, 01:02 PM)
Correct me if i'm wrong but it's the bigger companies that will appreciate these top schools right?

Most people out there just want to get the certificate with the cheapest cost if they just want to work in Malaysia. I feel it's so wrong.
I agree with you. Those stupid idiots can easily make so much more money in stronger currency markets. Malangisa.
silverwave
post Jul 22 2014, 11:02 PM

Look at all my stars!!
4,050 posts

QUOTE(fuzzy @ Jul 22 2014, 05:26 PM)
I'm on the verge of considering an Masters for next year with around 3-4 years experience and I wouldn't even consider a jump for anything less than 20%.

Jumping industries gets harder the more senior / specialised you are unless the area of specialisation you are in is easily translatable across industries.
Well, to be honest, i don't think it's that easy to just get 20%. I've been just browsing through jobstreet + another few job sites and it's so hard even to get 10% more. This is if you are in the same industry.

Different industries will have different requirements and they want the experience in that field itself. This is the part i can't really see how are MBA grads allowed to apply with such requirement if they are jumping from another industry.

I do agree it gets harder once you are too specialized in a specific field.
silverwave
post Jul 22 2014, 11:10 PM

Look at all my stars!!
4,050 posts

QUOTE(KoChun @ Jul 22 2014, 10:45 PM)
I agree with you. Those stupid idiots can easily make so much more money in stronger currency markets. Malangisa.
Yea pay is much better out there but my point is doing a prestigious MBA should not be associated with a normal MBA in the eye of an employer. If that's the case, everyone will just pick some cheap MBA for the sake of getting the certificate.

I'm not saying it is not possible to get employers that understand the importance of doing a prestigious MBA but it's extremely niche in Malaysia.
KoChun
post Jul 22 2014, 11:12 PM

On my way
688 posts

QUOTE(silverwave @ Jul 22 2014, 11:10 PM)
Yea pay is much better out there but my point is doing a prestigious MBA should not be associated with a normal MBA in the eye of an employer. If that's the case, everyone will just pick some cheap MBA for the sake of getting the certificate.

I'm not saying it is not possible to get employers that understand the importance of doing a prestigious MBA but it's extremely niche in Malaysia.
I get what you mean... MBA is just not worth it in Malangsia.
fuzzy
post Jul 23 2014, 09:06 AM

*pew pew pew*
6,659 posts

QUOTE(silverwave @ Jul 22 2014, 11:02 PM)
Well, to be honest, i don't think it's that easy to just get 20%. I've been just browsing through jobstreet + another few job sites and it's so hard even to get 10% more. This is if you are in the same industry.

Different industries will have different requirements and they want the experience in that field itself. This is the part i can't really see how are MBA grads allowed to apply with such requirement if they are jumping from another industry.

I do agree it gets harder once you are too specialized in a specific field.
I guess it depends on the industry? I've gotten two 20% jump to my current portfolio within a year, but perhaps I might have been undervalued to begin with.. Thus far, I've not heard of many who has taken anything less than 15%, and that is also because they were desperate to leave their old position.

I'm not sure what industry you are in, but I do think with your years of experience and education, getting a 20% should be of no problem..
silverwave
post Jul 23 2014, 09:18 AM

Look at all my stars!!
4,050 posts

QUOTE(fuzzy @ Jul 23 2014, 09:06 AM)
I guess it depends on the industry? I've gotten two 20% jump to my current portfolio within a year, but perhaps I might have been undervalued to begin with.. Thus far, I've not heard of many who has taken anything less than 15%, and that is also because they were desperate to leave their old position.

I'm not sure what industry you are in, but I do think with your years of experience and education, getting a 20% should be of no problem..
What industry are you in?

I'm with manufacturing MNC although my job is more towards product development & product management.

Trying my best to move out of this industry.
fuzzy
post Jul 23 2014, 09:19 AM

*pew pew pew*
6,659 posts

QUOTE(silverwave @ Jul 23 2014, 09:18 AM)
What industry are you in?

I'm with manufacturing MNC although my job is more towards product development & product management.

Trying my best to move out of this industry.
I'm in Banking, specialising in Rewards smile.gif
silverwave
post Jul 23 2014, 10:50 AM

Look at all my stars!!
4,050 posts

QUOTE(fuzzy @ Jul 23 2014, 09:19 AM)
I'm in Banking, specialising in Rewards smile.gif
That's good, banking is always better than manufacturing. smile.gif
Topace111
post Jul 23 2014, 09:50 PM

Look at all my stars!!
2,102 posts

QUOTE(silverwave @ Jul 22 2014, 01:02 PM)

You are right, any place can offer MBA, its almost like pisang goreng nowadays.
Hence only those really stand out will attract employers attention like FT100.
Rationale is because good MBAs have very stringent requirement.
Common requirement for good MBA normally will be:
1) GMAT marks (normally >600)
2) Minimum number of working experience in large MNCs or consulting company
3) Good underlying degree

If the university doesn't prescribe such requirement, you should know the quality of their students right?
Take for example, INSEAD MBA holder from Singapore normally earn $10,000 and above. That is roughly RM25,000 per month and RM 300,000 per annum. You will hardly find any employer paying that amount unless you are a senior manager with a very established Fortune500 companies.

MBA does not give you automatic passport (common misconception). It just complements or validate your existing ability. Most go for MBA to get the alumni network. For example, Stanford, Harvard and Wharton shares a common portal where the biggest companies headhunters will go. They have exclusive right on that, that's why you don't see companies like Microsoft, Google, Oracle put jobs ads.

Most people take MBA to work overseas. Best is MBA from US. UK normally very hard to get PR there due to lack of demand but they have good scholarship programs.
Drian
post Jul 24 2014, 10:56 AM

Look at all my stars!!
4,968 posts

Seriously if you're really good you wouldn't need to create a thread to ask the salary package after MBA.

rabloo
post Jul 24 2014, 11:07 AM

Casual
319 posts

QUOTE(Topace111 @ Jul 23 2014, 09:50 PM)

If the university doesn't prescribe such requirement, you should know the quality of their students right?
Take for example, INSEAD MBA holder from Singapore normally earn $10,000 and above. That is roughly RM25,000 per month and RM 300,000 per annum. You will hardly find any employer paying that amount unless you are a senior manager with a very established Fortune500 companies.

MBA does not give you automatic passport (common misconception). It just complements or validate your existing ability. Most go for MBA to get the alumni network. For example, Stanford, Harvard and Wharton shares a common portal where the biggest companies headhunters will go. They have exclusive right on that, that's why you don't see companies like Microsoft, Google, Oracle put jobs ads.

Most people take MBA to work overseas. Best is MBA from US. UK normally very hard to get PR there due to lack of demand but they have good scholarship programs.
Ditto thumbup.gif
silverwave
post Jul 24 2014, 11:54 AM

Look at all my stars!!
4,050 posts

QUOTE(Topace111 @ Jul 23 2014, 09:50 PM)

Totally agree. smile.gif
quintina
post Aug 18 2014, 02:25 PM

5 posts

I beg to differ. The real reason should be because UPM itself is not even qualified to provide a decent MBA course. Those prestigious business school around the world come with extremely expensive school fees for a lot of reasons (exclusivity aside). The course structure, exposure are definitely a few of the main selling points here. Some even include a internship placement in world renowned companies, Fortune 500, top IB's and so on.

As for the issue regarding quality control of MBA students, that's another funny thing about MBA programs in Malaysia. I've once compared the minimum requirement of MBA program in certain decent business school(both local and oversea), and I found out that in Malaysia: Basically ANYONE that has a degree can just enroll into most of the MBA program, with or WITHOUT relevant working experience. Heck, I don't even see any MBA program in malaysia that requires minimum GMAT score of 600/800 to be at least qualified for MBA course enrollment. Havard, INSEAD, Wharton, LSE, some of them even go to the extend of requiring GMAT score at least 760/800 to be able to be qualified. My point here is GMAT is not actually THAT difficult, but it serves at the most basic filter and provide some basics and fundamental of management.

As the title of MBA itself suggests, does it make sense to you for a fresh graduate to enroll into a MBA program right after graduation? I've had one colleague last time working as a mere drafter. She took part-time MBA in some local university and all she did was probably online lecture, some coursework based assignment, and occasionally attend some lectures during weekends. She didn't even know what is a GMAT and when she said "GMAT or not doesn't matter lah, as long as I finish every coursework, pass the paper test, get the cert, then I can get MBA already". I was speechless. I guess the MBA is just like another MSc/master program that solely intended for salary increment and slightly positive career advancement.

Maybe these are the reasons why MBA is 'cheap' and not well recognized by the employers in Malaysia.

I am considering to take up the offer for UPM part time MBA program, could you please share some insights/ view as I am not sure about their teaching/course quality although they branded themselves as the only AACSB Accredited school in Malaysia. Many thanks.
Neutrals
post Aug 19 2014, 08:12 PM

Getting Started
93 posts

QUOTE(quintina @ Aug 18 2014, 02:25 PM)
I am considering to take up the offer for UPM part time MBA program, could you please share some insights/ view as I am not sure about their teaching/course quality although they branded themselves as the only AACSB Accredited school in Malaysia. Many thanks.
from what I know, local universities master courses are only recognized by companies in Malaysia.

countries like Singapore, Australia, New Zealand, USA, UK, and Canada, may not recognize our local uni master courses.
pegasus1101
post Oct 30 2018, 09:40 PM

41 posts

Is this a good place for MBA? Thinking of taking MBA since my job so relax. worked 5 years already. Very comfortable already so I think time to do MBA part time since I am working. Is this WAWASAN Open U good for MBA? Their MBA is called CeMBA. Commonwealth Executive Master of Business Administration (CeMBA). Sounds cool

http://www.wou.edu.my/cemba

This post has been edited by pegasus1101: Oct 30 2018, 09:41 PM
eviee729
post Jul 4 2019, 09:21 PM

36 posts

What kind of jobs should a graduate MBA look for?
wywy2020
post Jul 4 2019, 10:05 PM

Regular
1,636 posts

QUOTE(eviee729 @ Jul 4 2019, 09:21 PM)
What is the expected salary?
Topace111
post Jul 5 2019, 11:18 AM

Look at all my stars!!
2,102 posts

QUOTE(eviee729 @ Jul 4 2019, 09:21 PM)
1) Are you an experienced staff + MBA = Look for jobs that fit your experience
2) Limited experience + MBA = Look for fresh entry job
3) If your MBA is top 30 FT = look for high-end fresh entry job or middle management
http://rankings.ft.com/businessschoolranki...ba-ranking-2019

eviee729
post Jul 8 2019, 01:43 PM

36 posts

QUOTE(Topace111 @ Jul 5 2019, 11:18 AM)
1) Are you an experienced staff + MBA = Look for jobs that fit your experience
2) Limited experience + MBA = Look for fresh entry job
3) If your MBA is top 30 FT = look for high-end fresh entry job or middle management
http://rankings.ft.com/businessschoolranki...ba-ranking-2019
5 years experience in manufacturing sectors only as an inventory executive. cry.gif cry.gif

do you think can opt for position in assistance manager?
Topace111
post Jul 9 2019, 09:20 AM

Look at all my stars!!
2,102 posts

QUOTE(eviee729 @ Jul 8 2019, 01:43 PM)
5 years experience in manufacturing sectors only as an inventory executive. cry.gif  cry.gif 

do you think can opt for position in assistance manager?
You can always apply and try. Nobody will know the result. My statement is just based on my normal observation.
longinusshortleg
post Jul 9 2019, 09:23 AM

Getting Started
139 posts

RM50 per month increment.

Because we don't need anymore managers in Agile world.

Change to:
| Lo-Fi Version
0.0435sec    0.91    5 queries    GZIP Disabled
Time is now: 29th March 2024 - 02:22 PM