Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

58 Pages « < 54 55 56 57 58 >Bottom

Outline · [ Standard ] · Linear+

Life Sciences [List] Private Medical Universities in Malaysia, *MD / MBBS / MBBChBAO (Update-17/11/14)*

views

cakes&cream
post Apr 16 2014, 07:59 PM

17 posts

-

This post has been edited by cakes&cream: Apr 16 2014, 08:04 PM
cakes&cream
post Apr 16 2014, 08:03 PM

17 posts

QUOTE(onelove89 @ Apr 16 2014, 06:08 AM)
I have met one of the lecturers teaching general medicine while I was doing my placement in HKL last year. And I do agree, he was really passionate in teaching, very nice and very knowledgeable. I think the only issue was the barrier of language and communication between patients. The students that I met were really smart, pretty much better than most of the interns there at the time when being put on the spot to answer some questions.

I've only seen a part of the whole course, but I'm happy enough to have a chance to engage with the handful and see how things are like.
Thank God we finally have a witness here! biggrin.gif

May I know who's the lecturer that you met? Yeah, even the lecturers themselves admit that language and culture are the only barriers now. But I don't think those are gonna stop them anyway. hahaha They really enjoy their time in HKL.
cakes&cream
post Apr 16 2014, 08:03 PM

17 posts

QUOTE(cckkpr @ Apr 16 2014, 09:09 AM)
No doubt about the quality of JHSOM and their teaching methods.

Yeah, you can have the best teachers but if most of the students are not up to the level desired, the expectations and the products is questionable.

I agree that meritocracy do play a part in the recruitment of esp foreign students but the same cannot be said of locals in compliance of local policies and sponsored students.

I would also ask why would locals who have achieved brilliant results want to study in a local university when the gomen is ever willing to provide them with full resources to enable them to achieve their objective in good overseas universities.
Well, does it ever occur to you that there are in fact a lot of students out there who are late bloomers? And that some desires of becoming a doctor might come later in life? PUGSOM students are relatively older than other med students in Malaysia. They have been through a lot more than students who dive straight into med school right after Pre-U level. They have come a long way and are more mentally prepared for this. Some have worked for a few years before, while some have gotten their masters and PhD. One thing I can say for sure is that, after talking to the students, I have realized that each and everyone of them has a unique story behind their effort and how their passion will definitely fuel them through the medical years. How good are they in terms of skills and knowledge? This, I shall let you find out yourself. Brilliant results can get you into a med school, but it won't make you a good doctor. It's more than that.

Let's imagine this scenario. You're a first year med student visiting an A&E department in a government hospital for a clerkship session. You prompt the HO which is assigned to teach you, and the HO just asks you to go home. He just takes his sweet time chatting away with other HOs at the counter when patients who are sent in laid unconscious and bleeding on the bed. Only bothered to make a move when it's exactly 4PM and time for him to go home. Now, this kinda attitude? You'll never find in PUGSOM.

I just hope that people can view things with a wider range of perspectives, PU students are not the only ones who are entitled to JPA scholarship. Students who are accepted into local public unis are entitled to apply for it too, plus they are able to obtain it fairly easy. The reason that all students who are enrolled in PUGSOM currently are JPA scholars is no rocket science, it simply means that those who couldn't secure a scholarship have dropped out. True story.

First, people were making fun of the tuition fee.
Then, they started saying the name of Johns Hopkins were merely show-biz.
And now people are doubting the quality of the students?

I mean, seriously, what is it about PUGSOM that makes people having such strong grudges against it? I really cannot fathom any of this. Sometimes it's really pointless explaining when people will still choose to believe what they want to believe. I'll just sit back, relax and let the soon-graduating class to show the world what they are made of.
limeuu
post Apr 16 2014, 11:29 PM

10k Club
All Stars
11,923 posts

QUOTE(cakes&cream @ Apr 16 2014, 08:03 PM)

I just hope that people can view things with a wider range of perspectives, PU students are not the only ones who are entitled to JPA scholarship. Students who are accepted into local public unis are entitled to apply for it too, plus they are able to obtain it fairly easy.
what a comparison!!....
cckkpr
post Apr 17 2014, 08:59 AM

Look at all my stars!!
4,405 posts

Well, does it ever occur to you that there are in fact a lot of students out there who are late bloomers? And that some desires of becoming a doctor might come later in life? PUGSOM students are relatively older than other med students in Malaysia. They have been through a lot more than students who dive straight into med school right after Pre-U level. They have come a long way and are more mentally prepared for this. Some have worked for a few years before, while some have gotten their masters and PhD. One thing I can say for sure is that, after talking to the students, I have realized that each and everyone of them has a unique story behind their effort and how their passion will definitely fuel them through the medical years. How good are they in terms of skills and knowledge? This, I shall let you find out yourself. Brilliant results can get you into a med school, but it won't make you a good doctor. It's more than that.

Let's imagine this scenario. You're a first year med student visiting an A&E department in a government hospital for a clerkship session. You prompt the HO which is assigned to teach you, and the HO just asks you to go home. He just takes his sweet time chatting away with other HOs at the counter when patients who are sent in laid unconscious and bleeding on the bed. Only bothered to make a move when it's exactly 4PM and time for him to go home. Now, this kinda attitude? You'll never find in PUGSOM.

I just hope that people can view things with a wider range of perspectives, PU students are not the only ones who are entitled to JPA scholarship. Students who are accepted into local public unis are entitled to apply for it too, plus they are able to obtain it fairly easy. The reason that all students who are enrolled in PUGSOM currently are JPA scholars is no rocket science, it simply means that those who couldn't secure a scholarship have dropped out. True story.

First, people were making fun of the tuition fee.
Then, they started saying the name of Johns Hopkins were merely show-biz.
And now people are doubting the quality of the students?

I mean, seriously, what is it about PUGSOM that makes people having such strong grudges against it? I really cannot fathom any of this. Sometimes it's really pointless explaining when people will still choose to believe what they want to believe. I'll just sit back, relax and let the soon-graduating class to show the world what they are made of.
Late bloomers are exceptions and not the norm and are not plenty.

Older students in no way means that they are more matured and has a higher degree of passion. In a country where the entrance to med schools are by way of graduate entry, then you see a lot of older students compared to other courses. Other than that, most of these students fail to get direct entry into their preferred choice of med schools and by obtaining a related degree, gives them a second bite at the cherry.

The reason why PU students are on scholarship is becoz no decent student is going to pay that kind of fees charged and this is merely a blurred vision of a Mamak who has done so much harm to our country that is bringing us down to our knees.

There is a strong likelihood of this going the same way as another Albukhary University when the Mamak is no longer around. A University giving full scholarships to students will never be a sustainable one.

chiahau
post Apr 17 2014, 11:32 AM

Fatthau StalKer
All Stars
14,074 posts

QUOTE(limeuu @ Apr 16 2014, 11:29 PM)
what a comparison!!....
Hi Limeuu,

Just a little curious since you are a senior here, how come Perdana University's Program is not listed in John Hopkins official medical school entry page?

Because some people told me, the program was in direct collaboration with John Hopkins in Baltimore, I'm really curious why Perdana Uni is not listed as an affiliate or whatever on the official website nor Wikipedia page.

Does this mean that the program is endorsed with the borrowed name of John Hopkins or they really do have the same or similar syllabus with the John Hopkins overseas?

QUOTE(cckkpr @ Apr 17 2014, 08:59 AM)
Late bloomers are exceptions and not the norm and are not plenty.

Older students in no way means that they are more matured and has a higher degree of passion. In a country where the entrance to med schools are by way of graduate entry, then you see a lot of older students compared to other courses. Other than that, most of these students fail to get direct entry into their preferred choice of med schools and by obtaining a related degree, gives them a second bite at the cherry.

The reason why PU students are on scholarship is becoz no decent student is going to pay that kind of fees charged and this is merely a blurred vision of a Mamak who has done so much harm to our country that is bringing us down to our knees.

There is a strong likelihood of this going the same way as another Albukhary University when the Mamak is no longer around. A University giving full scholarships to students will never be a sustainable one.
If I recalled correctly, the tuition fees is around 1,000,000 ringgit?

John Hopkins only charges 72,000 usd per year for international students, notwithstanding any form of grants or offset of tuition fees.

If they can afford the fees in PU, why not just go to John Hopkins and do the MD program?

Even after conversion, the tuition fees would be close or slightly more what?

Just curious since many people are saying PU students are good and their fees are definitely astonishing.
onelove89
post Apr 17 2014, 11:56 AM

Fighter for God
3,107 posts

The first batch isn't even out yet, how can you say that PUGSOM doesn't have these type of doctors in the future? Potentially, ANY graduates can become like this due to the environment and attitude resonating in Malaysia health care system.

No one is having grudges against PU. It could be a wrong timing when it was established amongst all the private med schools mushrooming in Malaysia. But I do understand, RM1M for tuition fees is a hefty bill to pay, and the only way to pay is by scholarship, which brings us to the question of the allocation of funds/money in the country. I'm sure every private unis out there (esp the new ones) would say the same: we provide the best, best students, best selection criteria, and we'll let the graduates do the talking. You see where I'm getting at?

I've only witnessed a small aspect of it, which was good, but doesn't reflect the overall picture. I'm not saying its bad either. I guess for RM1M, one could argue, including me, why the money couldn't be spent on sending the bright (or 'bright') students overseas directly? Given they can get in of course - with more resources, better structured learning, and better accreditation. I'm just putting it out there.
cakes&cream
post Apr 18 2014, 12:36 AM

17 posts

Due to environmental reasons? Wow, just wow. Sounds much like a justification to me. Being oblivious while your patient is suffering and needing your help IS. JUST. WRONG. Especially when it's during your working hours. If you can't handle this kinda tension and pressure then you shouldn't even think about taking this path the first place. People start breaking down when they start working, reason being they are not mentally prepared for this.

Other people are doing it as a norm, but that doesn't make it a right thing to do. Malaysia, your mentality needs to be changed.

Okay, I've said enough. No point in continuing this discussion, or rather argument, as the belief is pretty much fixed here. Just wait, and time shall reveal.
podrunner
post Apr 18 2014, 07:29 AM

Look at all my stars!!
2,200 posts

Relative happened to walk by an edu fair, one in which Perdana was also participating in. Out of curiosity, asked about the course, and they enthusiastically told him to join them, and that he will definitely be given a scholarship. But he as been advised to go to proper and established medical schools if he wanted to pursue a degree in medicine. It was just rather shocking that assessment of a candidate can be done in such a manner. He only provided them his pre-u results.
limeuu
post Apr 18 2014, 09:30 AM

10k Club
All Stars
11,923 posts

QUOTE(chiahau @ Apr 17 2014, 11:32 AM)
Hi Limeuu,

Just a little curious since you are a senior here, how come Perdana University's Program is not listed in John Hopkins official medical school entry page?

Because some people told me, the program was in direct collaboration with John Hopkins in Baltimore, I'm really curious why Perdana Uni is not listed as an affiliate or whatever on the official website nor Wikipedia page.

Does this mean that the program is endorsed with the borrowed name of John Hopkins or they really do have the same or similar syllabus with the John Hopkins overseas?
If I recalled correctly, the tuition fees is around 1,000,000 ringgit?

John Hopkins only charges 72,000 usd per year for international students, notwithstanding any form of grants or offset of tuition fees.

If they can afford the fees in PU, why not just go to John Hopkins and do the MD program?

Even after conversion, the tuition fees would be close or slightly more what?

Just curious since many people are saying PU students are good and their fees are definitely astonishing.
this is NOT a jh programme, hence you will not get any information within the jh organisation.....

it is not clear exactly how jh is involved with perdana....but it looks to me like they are selling the syllabus to perdana, and then provide some lecturers.....purely a business arrangement.....the perdana md is NOT a jh degree....

it is not like the nus-duke or ntu-imperial collaboration, which are real joint degrees......fully recognised by both....

why don't people go direct entry?....because the majority if not ALL of perdana students will NOT be able to get entry direct......

as to why people have doubts.....forget the hype......look at the details on how they conduct themselves, choose students, market, charge, and the kind of students selected.....

in caveat, they do have one advantage over other ipts med schools.....the fact that all student will get a jpa scholarship does allows them to choose better students, than others. who have to choose based on ability to pay, not academic merit.....

but it is an untenable arrangement, which will unravel with time.....
cckkpr
post Apr 18 2014, 10:35 AM

Look at all my stars!!
4,405 posts

Getting into a uni of one's choice and applying for a scholarship on merit is different from getting into a university WITH a scholarship given.

Moreover, how many top students actually choose PU as their first choice?
TSCyberSetan
post Apr 22 2014, 11:00 PM

-KNowLEdGe BRiNGs FEaR-
2,481 posts

AUCMS in deep Sh*T...

College staff turn to loan sharks after salaries unpaid for four months

by rahmah ghazali

PETALING JAYA: Employees of medical school Allianze University College Medical Sciences (AUCMS) are in dire financial straits as their salaries have allegedly not been paid in four months, with some turning to loan sharks in desperation.

An employee, who spoke on condition of anonymity, told The Star Online that most of the college's staff, both academic and administrative, had not been paid due to the college’s alleged financial woes.

» Click to show Spoiler - click again to hide... «

Source: http://www.thestar.com.my/News/Nation/2014...id-four-months/
bazzee
post Apr 24 2014, 10:23 PM

8 posts

Is the PU-RCSI recommendable? I didnt get matrics so i would like to go FIS but i still dont know which uni to pick. If i cant get in to PU then i would be getting straight into the uni...... is QIUP a good place? or AUCMS-UKM?
TeamOmelette
post May 18 2014, 07:28 PM

3 posts

QUOTE(bazzee @ Apr 24 2014, 10:23 PM)
Is the PU-RCSI recommendable? I didnt get matrics so i would like to go FIS but i still dont know which uni to pick. If i cant get in to PU then i would be getting straight into the uni...... is QIUP a good place? or AUCMS-UKM?
I advise you to stay away from anything related to AUCMS. Studying here is one of my greatest regret. My seniors have been complaining about the labs at the AUCMS-UKM campus (Kulim). They have to travel all the way from Kulim to Kepala Batas, Penang just to use our main campus labs. The promised Kulim lab facilities are still under construction but with the on-going financial woes, I highly doubt the completion of such facilities.

By the way, I have a question to the other members of this forum too; which is similiar to Bazzee.

Do you recommend PU-RCSI? I'm seeing a shadow of AUCMS in PU; political icon backing and attractive scholarship offer. I don't want to make the same mistake twice icon_question.gif

This post has been edited by TeamOmelette: May 18 2014, 07:29 PM
TSCyberSetan
post May 18 2014, 07:33 PM

-KNowLEdGe BRiNGs FEaR-
2,481 posts

QUOTE(TeamOmelette @ May 18 2014, 07:28 PM)
I advise you to stay away from anything related to AUCMS. Studying here is one of my greatest regret. My seniors have been complaining about the labs at the AUCMS-UKM campus (Kulim). They have to travel all the way from Kulim to Kepala Batas, Penang just to use our main campus labs. The promised Kulim lab facilities are still under construction but with the on-going financial woes, I highly doubt the completion of such facilities.

By the way, I have a question to the other members of this forum too; which is similiar to Bazzee.

Do you recommend PU-RCSI? I'm seeing a shadow of AUCMS in PU; political icon backing and attractive scholarship offer. I don't want to make the same mistake twice  icon_question.gif
Are you a privately funded student?

If you meet their admission requirement and have USD100,000...

You can try for a USM medical degree :

http://www.usmkle.edu.in/

https://pohon.usm.my/india/

(application is until 1st June 2014)

... AUCMS reminds me of their slogan: "Get Meducated"
I wonder if their admission office in KL Sentral is still there or not...

This post has been edited by CyberSetan: May 18 2014, 07:41 PM
limeuu
post May 18 2014, 07:52 PM

10k Club
All Stars
11,923 posts

stay away from pu as well....

seriously, with so many choices, why are people thinking of pu?....
TSCyberSetan
post May 20 2014, 01:37 PM

-KNowLEdGe BRiNGs FEaR-
2,481 posts

More on AUCMS from TheStar today:

Updated: Tuesday May 20, 2014 MYT 8:43:59 AM

Students paying the price for AUCMS fiasco

PETALING JAYA: The ongoing saga between staff at Allianze University College of Medical Sciences (AUCMS) in Kepala Batas, Penang, and its employees over alleged unpaid salaries is taking a toll on its students.

Deputy Education Minister P. Kamalanathan said that what started as a purely human resource issue was now affecting the students as well.

He said he had received numerous complaints and letters from the students regarding promised facilities, such as WiFi access, being removed and classes cancelled as the foreign lecturers have gone home.

He added that the Higher Education Department director-general Prof Datuk Dr Morshidi Sirat had sought an explanation from the college and was told by AUCMS that the matter would be resolved by this month.

“The Higher Education Sector has sent another letter requesting a detailed explanation within the next three working days,” said Kamalanathan.

AUCMS has been accused of ignoring the plight of some of its higher-ranked employees, from acade­mic to administration staff, who allegedly had not been paid for up to five months.

Some of the affected employees reportedly turned to loan sharks in desperation.
» Click to show Spoiler - click again to hide... «

Source: http://www.thestar.com.my/News/Nation/2014...r-AUCMS-fiasco/
soulbreakermy
post Oct 25 2014, 08:24 PM

Getting Started
52 posts

Hi all..

Im looking to find the right fit for my brother who wants to study medicine, personally i dont believe in doing Medicine and im not on this field as well, but i dont want to advise anyone to not pursue their dreams when they have one so im looking to look at options in doing any medical programmes offered here in Malaysia...

i just want an advise on whoever here what are the best medicine courses and Universities that are available in Malaysia to pursue medicine? Since i might find it hard to deal with paying big amount of fees which if no scholarship available probably personal loans or ptptn will aid financially...so places like IMU or overseas would be out of my ability . I would appreciate if you anyone could share any affordable ,good structure & approved Universities to do medicine here? (also pre medic/a level courses )

of course i would go on to read and search for more to know better about this but as a first step i would refer to this forum to learn more about doing medicine in Malaysia and would appreciate any inputs from forums here. thank you smile.gif smile.gif smile.gif
limeuu
post Oct 25 2014, 09:00 PM

10k Club
All Stars
11,923 posts

cybersetan, you need to revise the 1st page, with the demise of aucms....

soul, msia is the EASIEST country to do medicine....just need money, and choose from 30+ programmes within msia, and 300+ recognised uni all over the world....

ask your brother to go read pagalavan.com
TSCyberSetan
post Oct 26 2014, 10:43 AM

-KNowLEdGe BRiNGs FEaR-
2,481 posts

QUOTE(limeuu @ Oct 25 2014, 09:00 PM)
cybersetan, you need to revise the 1st page, with the demise of aucms....

soul, msia is the EASIEST country to do medicine....just need money, and choose from 30+ programmes within msia, and 300+ recognised uni all over the world....

ask your brother to go read pagalavan.com
Indeed I do need to revise the entire 1st page.
I'll do it once i have more time.

user posted image

This post has been edited by CyberSetan: Oct 26 2014, 10:46 AM

58 Pages « < 54 55 56 57 58 >Top

Change to:
| Lo-Fi Version
0.0249sec    0.09    6 queries    GZIP Disabled
Time is now: 29th March 2024 - 06:49 AM