views

Yukaeshi
post Dec 10 2008, 01:37 PM

Casual
Group Icon
Elite
417 posts

Few things to consider, based on my experience:

1. It depends on how your natural hair is.

For me, my natural hair is wavy (Not straight and not completely curly), so when I did rebonding the regrowth was terribly awful and very obvious. So I chose to perm my hair so even if there's regrowth it's not very obvious and looks more natural.

2. Maintenance.

Straight hair in general is very easy to maintain. It's a wash-and-go style, although you can add some shine serum/gloss for shiny effect, but that's optional. Plus, if your hair is thick and coarse, rebonding makes the hair "flatter" and smoother. Curly hair on the other hand is harder to maintain- after washing you need to apply curl cream/mousse and style it (I do it with my fingers and let my hair air dry... don't like blowdrying personally) and it takes some time.

3. Cost

Not to mention you'd tend to spend more on styling products with curly hair.

4. Face shape

Some face shapes suit straight hair, some curly. Rebonding as mentioned makes the hair "flatter", so it might elongate the face more.
Yukaeshi
post Dec 10 2008, 11:55 PM

Casual
Group Icon
Elite
417 posts

Yeap, the really experienced ones will tell you what look will suit you regardless of the trend. For me I can't have a fringe at all because of my oval face.
Yukaeshi
post Dec 12 2008, 01:28 AM

Casual
Group Icon
Elite
417 posts

I beg to differ on the "curly hair makes you look more mature/sophisticated" part.

My mother is 50+, and she actually looks YOUNGER with curly hair rather than straight hair. I am 22, and I look much more youthful with curly hair myself. Straight hair on the other hand makes me look older, mature and more "ah sou".

It depends on how your stylist curls your hair I guess- tighter, smaller curls for shorter hair and larger curls for longer hair (Personal experience and stylist recommendation).
Yukaeshi
post Dec 12 2008, 02:29 AM

Casual
Group Icon
Elite
417 posts

It actually depends on several factors, as I've mentioned a few times:

1. The type of curls- Large? Small?
2. Your face shape- Long? Wide? Round?
3. The cut of your hairstyle- Layered? Shaggy? Textured?
4. The colour. Yes, colour. If you get highlights/colour in curls, it actually looks better.

I'm not going to argue, since that is my personal opinion. I've had friends who look more mature with curly hair and younger in straight hair, but vice versa works for me and my mother, so you can't judge and say that my mother and me look mature and sophisticated with curly hair when you haven't even seen before and after photos doh.gif

I'd suggest a good stylist to advise instead of debating about it, but then again, some stylists can be biased themselves too.
Yukaeshi
post Dec 12 2008, 03:19 AM

Casual
Group Icon
Elite
417 posts

Oh yeah, before committing to a real perm, you can ask your stylist to "set" your hair in curls to let you see how you'll look like with curls and if you'll like it or not or whether it suits you or not wink.gif I used to do that before getting a perm. It's temporary, and will wash off if you don't like it, so no regrets there!
Yukaeshi
post Dec 13 2008, 08:14 PM

Casual
Group Icon
Elite
417 posts

I usually get my hair dyed in a brown-ish colour and then highlighted in blonde wink.gif My stylist matches the colours for me though.
Yukaeshi
post Dec 14 2008, 11:36 PM

Casual
Group Icon
Elite
417 posts

Well... it depends on your stylist. I have very, very black hair that's very hard to dye, but my stylist does a good job without bleaching my hair. Blonde is yellow...

Change to:
| Lo-Fi Version
0.0406sec    0.27    8 queries    GZIP Disabled
Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 06:18 PM