Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Outline · [ Standard ] · Linear+

Movies The ALIEN Movies Thread, Prometheus 2: PARADISE LOST (2017)

views

koolspyda
post May 14 2017, 11:39 AM

Getting Started
222 posts

Attached Image

Previously, Scott made mention that he had wanted up to 5 films in the Prometheus saga, having 4 sequels to Prometheus in total. Perhaps Scott plans to hand over the reigns for sequels 3 and 4?

On a personal note, I find it disheartening to read Scott's comments concerning the direction of the franchise now. Prometheus opened up so many doors and allowed foe a truly expansive story telling experience. But, due to an immense amount of complaining by fans(who for the most part seemed to prefer James Cameron's Aliens to Scott's original anyways), that expansive direction may be closed off forever.

Scott had it right in 2014, the beast IS cooked. The Xenomorph is not scary anymore, especially when it's shown in daylight and not shrouded in darkness, hiding in the shadows. We've seen the Aliens in every sequel, we've seen them swarm. We've seen them degraded to mere insects and I'm concern this franchise may regress to that state of mindless, sci-fi action once again.

Prometheus made us think, whether you had issues with the character development, dialogue or pacing, the profound concepts Prometheus introduced are what made the film so intriguing for many of us. I can only hope that Ridley decides to ignore some of the negative fan reaction calling for the same tried and true Alien formula and revisits his original, expansive vision for the series.

Read more: http://www.alien-covenant.com/news/ridley-...e#ixzz4h1FiLtJ6
This post has been edited by koolspyda: May 14 2017, 11:41 AM
QuickFire
post May 14 2017, 01:27 PM

The more you sin the more you win
2,867 posts

Yeah, the alien sequences in Covenant are fucking awful. Aliens roaming about like a velociraptor under sunshine. What a farce. If Scott intended those scenes to be true in spirit to the 1979 film, then he got it very very wrong. And that scene with the xenomorph crawling about outside the airborne ship? It is as bad as it was in the trailer.
6so
post May 14 2017, 02:29 PM

Getting Started
121 posts

@koolspyda
Dude if you want to be credible...please read from a legit source, not just click baity articles that floating like herpes. That article also missing this:
Unlike some filmmakers, who push down a certain path regardless of fan reactions, Scott says that he does consider it, explaining that fans, while not the final say in what he includes, can be a "reflection of your doubts about something." "You realize, 'I was wrong' or 'I was right,” he said. "I think that's where it comes in. I think you're not sensible if you don't actually take [the fans' reaction] into account."
http://www.looper.com/64117/ridley-scott-m...m_campaign=clip

You also need to realize during a press junket, Q&A already been curated to a certain extent by the PR people and Studio. Whatever that's out in the wild already been approved by the necessary party mostly.

It's his decision to revisit the nostalgic hole. Succeeding or not that's a different story altogether.
Your assessment just a correlation and not a causation.

How does caving or not in to the fans caused the movie a bad product. How about having a better story and trying fresh ideas. At the end of it all, does the budget allow it or do they have the time to do it. Do the studio agree to bankroll it. Without them, there's simply no movie.

In case you are so oblivious to how marketing works...there's a thing that called post-mortem. Facts and figures assessment that to be quantified with focus group research and data from sales or any other means of performance index.

Chances are the studio came up with priorities and goals to meet. It's Ridley Scott job to meet those criteria and not just be answerable to fanboys.
greyshadow
post May 15 2017, 10:36 AM

I bleed it out, Diggin' deeper just to throw it away!
1,831 posts

feels like the title gave people higher expectation of Alien's carnage
most audience already stereotyped how an Alien show should be: dark corridor, hunting, survival, jump scare, motion detection, lurking from behind, etc...

which unfortunately most are not in this latest movie, hence the reason most fans will hate this movie

I love Prometheus, it has it flaws (hated the silly scene of death crushed by rolling spaceship doh.gif), but nonetheless has good story, a spark of idea on the origin of Xenomorph, and some really breath taking landscape shots.

I was expecting something similar in Covenant, but unfortunately most of the original are lost in this sequel, for me it doesn't feels like a RS's movie, feels like he's trying to much to fulfill the demand of the studio/fanbase, and left with little of his own story telling. Basically this latest Alien movie franchise feels like a mixed bowl of rojak

koolspyda
post May 15 2017, 03:55 PM

Getting Started
222 posts

The alien Covenant is tracking & apparently doing well, so they listened.

There is nothing to it. It's what fans wanted, and it might not satisfy many fans who appreciated Prometheus, well like some said 50/50, probably first half it's some answers to loose ends of Prometheus & the tail end the the gore & aliens beast doing what it does best.
carmenyta
post May 15 2017, 04:14 PM

Getting Started
266 posts

Just watched it. A tad disappointing. Not much alien scenes. A very cliche kind of alien movie.

QUOTE(JustcallmeLarry @ May 11 2017, 10:38 PM)
Hey guys half way I needed to run to the toilet. Can you guys please tell me what did I miss?

» Click to show Spoiler - click again to hide... «

This post has been edited by carmenyta: May 15 2017, 04:16 PM
JustcallmeLarry
post May 15 2017, 05:22 PM

Regular
1,363 posts

QUOTE(carmenyta @ May 15 2017, 04:14 PM)
Just watched it. A tad disappointing. Not much alien scenes. A very cliche kind of alien movie.

Thanks dude
sailou
post May 15 2017, 06:12 PM

On my way
602 posts

One hell of a creepy insane psycho movie. Where does it even come close to being an Alien franchise on the whole?
khelben
post May 16 2017, 09:34 AM

I love my mum & dad
6,027 posts

Dammit David,

laugh.gif that said I hope there's more to it. I like this and Prometheus because it made me wanna know a lot more.

Yeah it's not like the old Alien movies but I don't care.
cybpsych
post May 16 2017, 10:31 AM

---------------------
All Stars
63,500 posts

i think of Prometheus/Covenant storyline as the story about an android wanted to be human/god-like power ... same like Marvels Agents of SHIELD's Aida's dream to become human/god-like power...

the Aliens storyline should be secondary, for now .... until the original Aliens kicksin ... but i liked the theory where aliens are byproduct of experimentation of David ...
alhambry
post May 16 2017, 09:43 PM

Getting Started
112 posts

One thing bugs me:

This post has been edited by alhambry: May 16 2017, 09:45 PM
Dominic Toretto
post May 17 2017, 12:40 AM

Getting Started
70 posts

QUOTE(alhambry @ May 16 2017, 09:43 PM)
One thing bugs me:

Aliens in Predator universe are not the same as alien in the original Alien universe. Aliens in Predator 2 and AvP series are in diferrent non canon universe where the studio just wanna mash up both species fighting each other in 1 movie based on fans request and Dark Horse's AvP series.
EpsilonStar
post May 17 2017, 11:27 AM

Regular
1,226 posts

I now thinking the origin of the black goo. Maybe it originates from an organism similar to xenomorph? Coz we saw the figure on the ceiling in prometheus?
Dominic Toretto
post May 17 2017, 01:02 PM

Getting Started
70 posts

QUOTE(EpsilonStar @ May 17 2017, 11:27 AM)
I now thinking the origin of the black goo. Maybe it originates from an organism similar to xenomorph?  Coz we saw the figure on the ceiling in prometheus?
I also believe the alien Xenomorph and Alien queen already exists waay before David developing his Xenomorph. Its because the Alien Queen's figure was already etched at the Engineer's armada ship. My theory is, David may found that the Xenomorph was previously developed by the engineers based on the scrolls and research he founds when he was stranded with Shaw at the Engineer's planet. David maybe simply wanted to recreate back the xenomorph, which the Engineer's don't want to create.
imran85
post May 17 2017, 06:33 PM

Getting Started
92 posts

Interesting. But in the first place where did those bombs come from? Was it purely intended to be used on Earth? If it was, did it mean that the Engineers created it? But if they did, wouldnt they prepare a cure for it or safeguards? (i.e biowarfare)
6so
post Jun 1 2017, 08:31 AM

Getting Started
121 posts

To quote Keanu Reeves infamous line from matrix....Woah!!!!!
The best theory to date.smile.gif
defaultname365
post Jun 5 2024, 12:15 AM

Windows® 8.1 | Xbox 360™ | PlayStation® 4
1,097 posts

Feels like a true return to form with its horror elements. thumbsup.gif
skylinelover
post Jun 6 2024, 10:48 AM

Future Crypto Player😄👊Driver Abamsado😎😎
All Stars
10,587 posts

QUOTE(defaultname365 @ Jun 5 2024, 12:15 AM)

Feels like a true return to form with its horror elements.  :thumbsup:
Haha

And here i still cannot fathom Alien 1

Not the movie fault

I got spoilt by James Cameron fast paced action formula in Alien 2

laugh.gif laugh.gif laugh.gif

Not so much Romulus fan but i may catch during Wednesday price hahahaha
Chrono-Trigger
post Jun 11 2024, 08:30 AM

PERPETUAL BEWILDERMENT
3,868 posts

macam ada android lagi
and the signature proximity sensor
skylinelover
post Jun 14 2024, 04:02 PM

Future Crypto Player😄👊Driver Abamsado😎😎
All Stars
10,587 posts

QUOTE(Chrono-Trigger @ Jun 11 2024, 08:30 AM)
macam ada android lagi
and the signature proximity sensor
In spirit of the classic Alien laugh.gif laugh.gif

31 Pages « < 29 30 31Top

Change to:
| Lo-Fi Version
0.0184sec    0.37    6 queries    GZIP Disabled
Time is now: 16th June 2024 - 11:45 AM