Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

3 Pages  1 2 3 >Bottom

Outline · [ Standard ] · Linear+

P1 P1 W1MAX Free 6 months Service Feedback, P1 W1MAX Free 6 months service feedback

views

rajulkabir
post Dec 7 2008, 06:04 PM

Regular
Group Icon
Elite
1,428 posts

QUOTE(aspire2oo6 @ Dec 6 2008, 09:07 PM)
email already but he no reply
I emailed and got a reply saying we'd hear more after Dec 7 (which I guess is today).
rajulkabir
post Dec 10 2008, 09:03 PM

Regular
Group Icon
Elite
1,428 posts

QUOTE(gstoh @ Dec 10 2008, 06:19 PM)
does the modem provided by P1 have integrated wireless?or onlyRJ45 cable plug ?
Looks like cable only. But you can probably connect it to your wireless router.
rajulkabir
post Dec 12 2008, 06:34 PM

Regular
Group Icon
Elite
1,428 posts

I just got home and connected mine as well. I wasn't sure how well it would work, since I'm above the 20th floor in a highrise and they said they only guarantee it up to the 10th. But the first spot I tried in the living room got a green signal and so far so good. Full speed from speedtest.net KL server, 800kbps from Los Angeles server. Now downloading lots of overdue system updates to my old laptop.

I'm keeping my Streamyx for now and am going to set up some sort of cheesy load balancing in my router so I can compare both services side-by-side. Ought to be interesting.
rajulkabir
post Dec 15 2008, 12:33 AM

Regular
Group Icon
Elite
1,428 posts

Well, I sure am grateful to P1 today!

My Streamyx died around 3pm and it still hasn't come back online. If not for wimax, I'd be offline all day and night.

At first I had the P1 modem out in the living room, near the window, and I got a great signal.

I've now moved it to the closet where my house wifi router is, and in there it's not connecting as well. I get about 5% packet loss and download rate as measured on p1.com.my speed test is about 800kbps. But still way better than nothing, and pretty good considering the closet has no windows, my apartment is just outside the edge of the coverage area, and I'm on a high floor.

One thing I've noticed is that the green light is a little too easy to get. For instance, despite having the packet loss I mentioned, and less than half the speed, the modem still shows a green light.

The only way I could fine-tune the physical positioning was to ping some P1 router (172.16.162.125) while moving it around, and watch for packet loss.

What I really would have liked is a web interface where I can see a more finely-grained display of the radio conditions.

I also notice that very subtle changes in position can have a big impact on performance.
rajulkabir
post Dec 15 2008, 12:41 AM

Regular
Group Icon
Elite
1,428 posts

Also, I am starting to wonder if P1 is using a transparent web proxy, and if it might be less than perfectly reliable. Twice I have observed that I was unable to get web pages to come up, but my SSH sessions continued to work just fine.

I started up tcpdump on a remote machine during one of those periods, and observed that if I telnetted to any port other than 80, I'd see the SYN arrive, but if I tried to connect to port 80, nothing.
rajulkabir
post Dec 15 2008, 11:44 AM

Regular
Group Icon
Elite
1,428 posts

QUOTE(p4n6 @ Dec 15 2008, 07:34 AM)
Why you still subscribe when it's outside of the coverage?
I am right at the edge, so I figured it would still be worth a try. On the street next to mine there are P1 banners and restaurants with WirelessKL hotspots.
rajulkabir
post Dec 18 2008, 05:32 PM

Regular
Group Icon
Elite
1,428 posts

QUOTE(Victor3010 @ Dec 18 2008, 05:16 PM)
I would like to suggest that the p1 website to have a usage meter so that we do know about the 20GB limit. The ping tends to be pretty high for wimax, is this normal for wireless service? Currently I'm getting about 1.7mbps connection  rclxms.gif  rclxms.gif , upload is about 200kbps
What ping are you getting? I see about 40-70ms locally, 350-400ms to USA. Higher than Streamyx on a good day but not too bad.
rajulkabir
post Dec 18 2008, 08:05 PM

Regular
Group Icon
Elite
1,428 posts

QUOTE(Lowyat_P1W1MAX @ Dec 18 2008, 06:38 PM)
If you do have a problem with a near by WiFi access point that is using channel 9/10/11, please try switching the channel around where you can get the best experience. (If other WiFi access point using channel 9, try using 10...etc)
I don't think this is good advice. Adjacent wifi channels interfere with each other.

If your neighbour is using channel 11, you are better off using channel 11 than using channel 10. Two access points that are on the same channel will work around each other to some degree. But two that are on adjacent channels will just cause interference and make things worse for everyone.

Really the only wifi channels that are worth using are 1, 6, and 11. The others overlap each other and cause problems.

user posted image
rajulkabir
post Dec 19 2008, 01:34 AM

Regular
Group Icon
Elite
1,428 posts

QUOTE(Lowyat_P1W1MAX @ Dec 18 2008, 11:59 PM)
Adjacent WiFi channels interfere with each other. This is true.
Channel 4 interferes with channels 1 & 6, and all other channels in between.
But if everyone is on channel 1, the largest interference comes from the signal of your neighbour’s routers on the same channel. Likewise if you are on channel 6 and everyone is on the same. 1, 6 & 11 are 'non-overlapping' channels. It's known that least interference experienced on channel 11.

Right, this is why I don't think it's good to recommend people to try 9 or 10 as was done above. "Everybody on 11" is better than "some people on 10 and some people on 11".
rajulkabir
post Dec 23 2008, 02:27 AM

Regular
Group Icon
Elite
1,428 posts

P1 web site looks different tonight somehow:

Attached Image
rajulkabir
post Dec 24 2008, 10:17 PM

Regular
Group Icon
Elite
1,428 posts

QUOTE(Lowyat_P1W1MAX @ Dec 24 2008, 11:47 AM)
Thank you for the feedback. We have taken your feedback into consideration. At this moment, the current software does not support the customer access. We have planned a new software version which will be released in February 2009. This new release will allow customer access to configure certain features, such as DHCP, Dynamic DNS, Port Forwarding, and etc
That's really good news, thanks.
rajulkabir
post Dec 31 2008, 02:11 AM

Regular
Group Icon
Elite
1,428 posts

On the other hand, I am also at the outside edge of the coverage area and about 10 storeys too high and it's quite stable here. Took some serious feng shui to get it working well in the server closet though - no windows and two solid walls in the way.

Just finished setting my router up to split traffic between P1 and Streamyx. As my first experiment I have Youtube and some other stuff, plus all my lady's laptop traffic, using P1 (since she likes to download stuff when I am trying to work or use VoIP). Youtube definitely works better on P1; I can watch videos in the middle of the afternoon without having to do that buffering and pausing stuff that is required for Streamyx at that time of day.
rajulkabir
post Jan 1 2009, 05:58 PM

Regular
Group Icon
Elite
1,428 posts

QUOTE(Acrisius @ Jan 1 2009, 04:01 PM)
Haha, I bet you didn't read the early post at p1w1max forum. I'm their customer since August. The month of their launching. This is my 4th month. shakehead.gif. So, Do i have the rights to comment it? Hehe. Routing cables around the house can solved by WiFi. But WiMAX you still need to find a G-spot and need to put the modem near to the window. So what's the point of wireless? You still need to find a specific place to put your modem. Not all the place you liked.

Nobody is stopping you from connecting a wifi router to your P1 box to get mobility within the house. And of course you also have mobility outside of your house. I brought mine to a restaurant yesterday and used it (the restaurant has wifi but it really sucks).

On a sadder note, my feng shui spot in the closet at home stopped working today and I've had to move it to a new, less convenient spot.
rajulkabir
post Jan 1 2009, 06:22 PM

Regular
Group Icon
Elite
1,428 posts

QUOTE(rajulkabir @ Jan 1 2009, 05:58 PM)
On a sadder note, my feng shui spot in the closet at home stopped working today and I've had to move it to a new, less convenient spot.
I am trying to hang it inside the window, but there is no easy way to attach mounting brackets to the harware, which is a shame. I managed to thread some plastic twine through the ventilation holes at the top - an imperfect, klugey solution at best. If I can get it to hang in a stable way I'll upload a photo later on.

In the process of looking for advice on placing the device I came across the manufacturer's page, which may be of interest to some:

http://www.naturalteck.com/prodisp.asp?id=295

They rate the operating temperature as up to 50°C so I guess I needn't worry about the heat inside the tinted window.

The price per unit for lots of 1000 is US$170 (RM600) so at RM999 it looks like P1 is making a pretty profit from non-contract customers!

Added on January 1, 2009, 11:59 pmFirst time I've paid close attention during very heavy rain - service still working quite well. Ran ping for a while, latency was more variable (up to 300ms additional rather than typical ±25ms) but very usable.

This post has been edited by rajulkabir: Jan 1 2009, 11:59 PM
rajulkabir
post Jan 2 2009, 04:54 PM

Regular
Group Icon
Elite
1,428 posts

QUOTE(berzerk @ Jan 2 2009, 09:13 AM)
shocking.gif you took the big black box out to a restaurant?
Haha yeah, I've been going to this place several times a week for many years, they are used to me holding meetings and generally making myself very comfortable.
rajulkabir
post Jan 5 2009, 06:10 PM

Regular
Group Icon
Elite
1,428 posts

I've just (twice) experienced the problem that others have been complaining about.

Modem has good signal (green light, working well). In the morning, red light is blinking and it is not working at all. The only solution is to off it and on it again, then it immediately works fine - without being moved at all.

Something is causing these units to freeze up.

This is one reason why ADSL is nice - customers can go buy their own equipment if the CPE supplied by the ISP sucks.
rajulkabir
post Jan 6 2009, 04:54 PM

Regular
Group Icon
Elite
1,428 posts

QUOTE(IcedNyior @ Jan 6 2009, 09:40 AM)
anyone going for the 1st gathering thingy in KLCC?

*for the LYN users who got the free 6 mths service smile.gif
Yep. Free dinner, quick walk from my house, how could I turn it down?
rajulkabir
post Jan 6 2009, 07:07 PM

Regular
Group Icon
Elite
1,428 posts

QUOTE(berzerk @ Jan 6 2009, 06:24 PM)
Anyone having an issue with the black box modem?
Mine is temperamental about getting connected to PCs.
I.e. theres a 50% chance that the computer will not detect a cable connection to the black box despite everything being connected & powered.
Probably a dumb question, but have you tried a different cable? Does it happen with all PCs?
rajulkabir
post Jan 9 2009, 10:52 PM

Regular
Group Icon
Elite
1,428 posts

QUOTE(-oc-gassa @ Jan 9 2009, 08:22 PM)
sory for noob question.. the ip is static ? seem to get this same ip since the beginning..124.xxx.x.xx
Do you have 120.140.1.70? I have a hunch that many of us are sharing it.
rajulkabir
post Jan 16 2009, 01:17 PM

Regular
Group Icon
Elite
1,428 posts

QUOTE(ragereaver @ Jan 15 2009, 08:32 PM)
To rajulkabir, this is my torrent speed screen shot using Xunlei that I mention to you at the gathering. Maybe you could try to use this client to download. As you can see from the top right screen, the speed is constant most of the time. The fluctuating speed mostly happen when I'm dowloading from RS. But for torrent, I can get a constant speed. smile.gif

Thanks - I've downloaded it and now seeing if I can convince it to work on my Mac with Darwine... Nice to meet you all the other day by the way.

3 Pages  1 2 3 >Top

Change to:
| Lo-Fi Version
0.0356sec    0.67    7 queries    GZIP Disabled
Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 10:17 PM