Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Bump TopicClosed TopicRSS feed Start new topic Start Poll

Outline · [ Standard ] · Linear+

> Hardware Q&A : Rules & Regulation, just to add........

goldfries
post Dec 1 2008, 02:56 AM, updated 8y ago

40K Club
Group Icon
Group: Forum Admin

REMEMBER THE RULES

1) This is a separate area of Hardware meant specifically for the asking of question, discussion topics belong in Hardware (Main)
goldfries sez : This is "Hardware Questions & Answers" - meaning it's for people to ask questions. For discussions, please visit the HARDWARE section.

2) The rules for availability, pricing and stock still hold and any discussion of such belongs in the Price and dealers guide.

3) Spam will not be tolerated. Spam is equated to pointless 1 liners or unconstructive remarks or generally unhelpful comments that do not help the objective of the thread.
goldfries sez : Frequent spammers will be issued a warning. Post contructively. I don't mind 1-liners that are spot on. Multiple lines of crap is just as bad as single line of crap.

4) This is not a place for sales or advertising them, leave that to trade zone and if you wish to recommend a product you're selling, use the PM system.

5) Please stick to the one topic at a time and if needed put all your question in 1 topic, this is to save space and allow others the chance for their question to be answered too.
goldfries sez : Try to keep your questions to a single thread. For example, if you want to setup a PC - you start a thread. then you have thoughts of getting a graphic card or something, you can just continue in your existing thread. there's no need to start something new just for each "?" that appears in your head. Only start new threads for something totally new!

6) Flaming for no apparent reason will be dealt with severely, if you have any problems with other members, contact the mod team or the staff.
goldfries sez : Be nice. Don't be emo. We're open for a little bit of drama here and there but just don't over do it. If you felt offended, either you PM the other party to sort it out, make a good (public) come back or just ignore the fella. REPORTS should be used sparingly, not just because your ego is somehow irked by someone. Don't be a cry-baby.

Try not being a fanboy, it doesn't help with Q&A when all you can say is "<put brand here> rules!" or anything similar, do that often and you'll be back to point #3 and don't be surprised you log in with a warning issued on you.

7) No POLL threads! Please, POLL threads are useless. More people using certain things doesn't necessarily make them good, sometimes it's just because they're the most widely available or cheapest to acquire. * Terms & Conditions apply. tongue.gif *

8) Please don't hijack threads. It makes it all the more confusing, it's like giving consultation to 2 or more patients in a session. You could possibly hijack if the topic is really really close but don't be surprise if the moderators find it not suitable and made your post a new topic with stupid titles. (yes, if you couldn't be bothered to THINK before you post, we couldn't be bothered to THINK of a new thread title for you either.)

9) Ask intelligently because we encourage people to ask with their THINKING CAP on. If you have a question, remember to state your preference or purpose - put it simple, furnish as much information as possible. Don't waste people's time as people are here to help you.

10) Don't ask things that you can find on your own, eg "what's the difference between i5 and i7?" - Damn it guys, if you expect people to put TIME into answering you then how about YOU putting some TIME AND EFFORT to do a research on your own first? We discourage spoon-feeding. Even if you want to know the difference, at least state your findings first.

smile.gif

This post has been edited by goldfries: Nov 10 2009, 03:42 PM
wonghanjiang
post Dec 1 2008, 03:15 AM

Getting Started
Group: Junior Member

respect goldfries notworthy.gif notworthy.gif notworthy.gif
when i need help to prove my spam are accurate should i PM u or just make a report hmm.gif
Prodigenous Zee
post Dec 1 2008, 12:30 PM

Enthusiast
Group: Senior Member

Actually I meant explain in the first post, since you explained the difference between Hardware and Hardware Q&A there.. but nvm biggrin.gif
asamkipas
post Aug 30 2009, 06:11 AM

Tom Tom Tom Ketom !!!

hi there

I am planning to do a questionnaire and would like to have 30 inputs from LYN'ers to help in doing my assignment about graphics card and the title would be :

"The preference : nVidia 9800GTX+ VS HD4850"

And it is mainly about the people's preference of these two graphics card and why do they do so as in Why do they buy vrabd A instead of brand B and some other questions that will help the objective to know about the public preference of these two GC's

Can I do so at HW Q&A ? Or if it is not there where can I do so as LYN'ers is a pool of PC-literate fellas

Thanks rclxms.gif
takumitan89
post Mar 14 2010, 11:29 PM

Getting Started

may i ask usually for ASUS mobo warranty will take how long to claim??and btw i can see some burning places at the back of my mobo...and it's nt my fault actually..may be is short circuit make it bcome like that....so wil it still can get back the warranty?
kianweic
post Mar 30 2010, 09:16 AM

Work hard, play hard.

I would recommend that all hardware recommendations (for entire PC) should include an original OS within the budget, be it OEM or retail.

Hiruka
post Mar 30 2010, 09:58 AM

Game's Life

I doubt this is just an xtra information / reminder for Rules and Regulation, not the discussion thread instead whistling.gif

This post has been edited by Hiruka: Mar 30 2010, 09:59 AM
kianweic
post Mar 30 2010, 10:06 AM

Work hard, play hard.

QUOTE(Hiruka @ Mar 30 2010, 09:58 AM)
I doubt this is just an xtra information / reminder for Rules and Regulation, not the discussion thread instead whistling.gif
Seriously, I don't get what you are trying to say.

Both your statements are contradicting.

:3mushy:3
post Mar 30 2010, 10:48 AM

<--~(--+<[o]>+--)~-->

QUOTE(kianweic @ Mar 30 2010, 09:16 AM)
I would recommend that all hardware recommendations (for entire PC) should include an original OS within the budget, be it OEM or retail.
These are choices of the buyers. If they want to add in original OS, then that's up to them, we are not morality police. Besides, we do not even entice them to buy pirated OS, if you notice most of the suggestions did not touch anything related to OS unless demanded by buyers, so generally we neither support original OS nor 'killing' them smile.gif It's hardware section btw.
Hiruka
post Mar 30 2010, 10:50 AM

Game's Life

Because TS just said "Just to add.."
and not mentioning any "Open for Discussion.."

BTW its my doubt only, im not strictly said we cant do any discussion here..HehE whistling.gif
Ban-kun
post Aug 16 2010, 11:03 PM

Casual

This may sound a little off-topic, but since it concerns the 'rules' somewhat, I'll just ask.

I notice alot of users have the nice fancy 'user sigs' like "Nvidia user" and so on. Is it wrong for me to just save that pic and use it for myself? I thought of asking them through PM for permission, but I'd be mass PMing 9001 users for every sig I request to use and that would be a bother to both parties. I would very much like to use them to symbolize my affinity to them.
NightStealer
post Sep 14 2010, 04:01 PM

Getting Started

7) No POLL threads! Please, POLL threads are useless. More people using certain things doesn't necessarily make them good, sometimes it's just because they're the most widely available or cheapest to acquire. * Terms & Conditions apply. tongue.gif *

With all due respect goldfries, I don't feel that this rule is well, that good. First of all, most people actually DO research here by making threads about their topics and yes, that's a good thing as it actually encourages them to ask more questions based on their curiosity and not just click and read. Clicking and reading will not make people ask more question as they feel that some threads might be a "DON'T BUMP OLD THREADS" thread. Therefore, in my opinion, letting people make a thread WITH, WITH POLL will actually propel them in their research for a topic or an item. I hope you remove this "rule" as I am one of the people who loves making threads with polls. One more thing, I am well aware that you are the admin, but you do have to respect other people's opinion. That being said, your opinion of a poll is useless and unreliable, good for you. However, some people like polls as it actually gives them an indication of which object/ item is more popular in society/ the market. And if you really don't like the idea of a poll, why did you allow it in the first place? I am the owner of a gaming forum. Forum X which also uses vBulletin and IPBoard ( yes I paid for the software and not the pirated one ) I know that there is a setting to disallow polls in threads. So if you still think my opinion is void, please disable the poll feature. If not, why don't we have a poll to see whether or not that the poll feature should be allowed. Fair? smile.gif Once again, I thank you for your time taken to read this post and hope you may consider my suggestion. Thank you.

This post has been edited by NightStealer: Sep 14 2010, 07:49 PM
5p3ak
post May 17 2011, 09:05 PM

CPE, FIG Certified Gymnastics Coach, Drummer

TS not replying to replies ? sad.gif
goldfries
post May 18 2011, 01:00 AM

40K Club
Group Icon
Group: Forum Admin

have not been replying this thread as i have 101 things to handle. rules are as it is.

no POLL thread because you guys can already see how the thread is like. all about X vs Y vs Z - votes are convenient but I can tell you most people replying are pretty newbie / parrot so they just vote without knowledge.

I'd rather people post their suggestion and with decent explanation rather than parroting, hence no VOTE / POLL allowed.

as you can see, a lot of VOTE / POLL threads are misleading. especially like "which brand is lousiest?" - it's almost a given than the brand with most user will also get the more report of failure rates and such.

i think better close this thread. not suppose for people to reply anyway. smile.gif

btw if you guys didn't know this "just to add" thread was done in 2008. I didn't have the authority back then I have today to edit the R&R. biggrin.gif

will get it done soon.

Bump TopicClosed TopicTopic OptionsStart new topic

Switch to:
| Lo-Fi Version
0.0932sec    7.19    5 queries    GZIP Disabled
Time is now: 17th August 2018 - 03:22 PM